Options

Trots-again

Comments

• Options
    maybe eat brekky 3 hours before run-and what are you eating
  • Options
    Hippo

tried porridge twice, about 21/2 hours before run, felt awful, o.k on museli/banana, which is what i have for breakfast every morning anyway, but still queezy, after few miles like car sickness? no breakfast seems to work best, but feel sort of empty, and concerned about running out of energy half way rounds FLM.
  • Options
    perphaps small breakfast ,energy drink before and during run and jelly baby?
  • Options
    No, plodding hippo not stalking you honestly. But there was something ,I think it was an e-mail about the most prolific threaders so I clicked on it and couldn't believe that I had discussed Poo,s and stinky knicks with the famous/star peformer on the threads.I think I'm getting a little hooked on these "wee" conversations now. Better watch myself.
    Have fun.
  • Options
    Back again, just to let you know that trots problem has been getting worse, so I have resorted to Lommotil, as advised.
    Took first two this am,and didn't eat anything last night except two oatcakes and two herbal teas. This morning had a rice cake and a half slice of toast with a herbal tea. Result- I had only one toilet stop in first 6miles(running 20), and definately was able to hang on longer ie.10mins as opposed to my usual 5-20secs.

I think for the marathon, I will follow same routine and hopefully with nerves I will have ran to the toilet so much before race, I will be spared dreaded problem of dirtying myself and having to get a bus home in embarrasing state.
  • Options
    boing for cabletow
    see?
  • Options
    Plodding Hippo,Are you Welsh?
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Sheesh, I thought I was in a really tiny minority, so am mightily relieved to find this is not the case. A related problem for me is when I run with others and supply a trumpet voluntary as accompaniment! It's not possible to blame passing dogs or children when the sounds travel with the group...
  • Options
    Tiddles
    Nope
    My gran was born in wales, and i lived in Cardiff for 8 years
    why?
  • Options
    Plodding Hippo, I can definately hear a Welch accent!
  • Options
    Am yow all roight?

(no you cant)
    ;)
  • Options
    Behave mow tiddles
  • Options
    Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would resurrect this one. I have just had my first major embarassment with the R-Ts. I have had to stop on past runs (pun definitely intended) but today I was too far from home, there isn't a loo to be found along the Thames near Richmond, and I lost the fight against my body. I ended up walking home in tears. Fortunately I was wearing an appropriate enough running bra to take my T-shirt off to tie around my waist to hide what had happened. People walking past me must have though I was mad - crying my eyes out, stopping every 5 minutes as my body went into spasms again and glancing down constantly to check it wasn't showing at the front.

I never want to experience anything as horrible as that again - and I was only 3 miles in. So I am going to start trying each of the advice given here - lactose reduction, immodium, artichoke tablets, anything. And if anyone has come up with any other cures, or at least anything to get it under control, further advice is welcome.

I just wanted to sink into a hole in the ground. It was awful.
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    (((tigertwo))), poor you.

It's no consolation knowing that you're not alone, but there are lots of us out here who've had similar experiences. I can't offer a cure, only sympathy.

I found immodium very helpful, but unfortunately over a period of time my body seemed to build up a tolerance to it. Having now reached the point of taking 8 for a long run and it still not working, I've been to my GP for some Lomotil which I will try out next week. She also insisted on referring me to a gastro-enterologist, so if that comes up with anything helpful I will post on here.
  • Options
    Bags of sympathy to you, you are not the only to have this problem and not the only one to have really been caught short!!!

Like slo sho, I have found immodium stopped working, hence I now take Lomotil, which seem to work and do not cause any after effects, such as constipation!!!

You may find that many of us recommend doing a short loop around home, about a mile, then popping back home, as this often helps to get things moving, and then go out when you feel ready. Neighbours may think you are mad, but it is better than being embarrased in public.

I had a colonoscopy last week, as a result of a visit to gastroenterologist, no problems were found, that I am aware of, although I do have a follow up appointment. I mentioned that I often take Lomotil when I run, as I usually run with a group and find it easier not to have to stop, and often run where there are no bushes and the comment I got was that they were fine to take.

I have tried all the advice on this thread, but I have come to the conclusion that it is just me and I have to put up with it if I want to continue running.

Mind you, just getting over a gastric bug so this is a sensitive subject at the moment what with the colonoscopy last week!!

Hope things work out for you.
  • Options
    Thank you, Whizzy and slo - I have to say I am a bit scared to go out for a run at the moment! I am going to try tomorrow but I am going to drive to Richmond park where there are toilets at reasonably regular intervals!! I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday so I will talk to her, but in the meantime, the loop is a good plan, and planning my runs where there are public conveniences is another!

• Options
    You poor sods
    well, I did a half last week with 5 trott stops and agonising stomach cramps
    yesterdays marathos-two stops and stomach cramps again

seems to come in cycles for me

Im going to start keeping a food diary
    I dont want to cut out food groupsm cos im not intolerant of anyhting normally other than in the context of running

sigh

Tigertwo

Just go if you have to go, get behind a bush or whatever and just do it
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    tigertwo, you must be very near me. I do find that pubs are very accommodating. I always ask if I can use the loo and have yet to be refused. And yes, Richmond Park is very good place to run, even if it's after the loos have closed....

I too can find no rhyme nor reason behind why I am afflicted. It all seems random. Like, if I knew what caused it I'd do something about it, wouldn't I?

Must have been horrible for you :o(
  • Options
    I think we will just have to accept that it is all the jiggling around that affects us, unfortunately, every time, where as, with others, such as my partner, it is only occasionally.

At least we are not giving up, and having had that dear old colonoscopy last week I know that my bowels are not disintergrating!!
  • Options
    whizz
    how did you find the picolax?
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    tigertwo, if you'd like to run with a club, ours is based in Berrylands and we do wait for people while they nip into pubs/behind bushes etc. E-mail me for more info.
  • Options
    Hippo

I found the Picolax - awful!!! I found it very difficult to drink, it tasted like paint, and the results were not that enjoyable. Having had a gastric bug last week I really feel as if I have had a great big detox!!! Lost 6lbs, which I did not want to lose, so will enjoy putting it back on!!
  • Options
    My Husband said it was in the local papers that the Farmers in our area have stopped muck spraying the fields as a lone female runner has been spotted doing the job for them.

When I'm on my own I just accept the inconvenience and run prepared with 4 sheets of kitchen role and know my spaces in the hedge for quick access. When I'm with others I find it more demoralising and have made the mistake of leaving it too late and have had to walk home" a total outcast", which is horrible. I take lomitil to allieviate this sometimes, and they definately work, but save them for special occasions.!!
  • Options
    Yay!! I am not alone. You all have no idea how much better that has made me feel! Fortunately when I told my boyfriend who wasn't a runner, he didn't laugh at me - he was incredibly sympathetic which I really appreciated. But he did say to me 'it's things like that which really put me off running'...

Nope, as bad as it was, it won't put me off...
  • Options
    Tiddles-you just have to Go love
    dont hold it in

Tiger tow
    you do know Paual had a siliar prob in last years FLM
    AND it was on telly
    we are in exalted company
    x
  • Options
    I agree with Tiddles, it is difficult when you are with others, which I usually am, which is why I do use Lomotil, but if I am on my own or with my partner I do not, unless we are doing a route with no 'stops'. Lomotil do not seem to subsequently 'bung' me up as Imodium do and I get such a benefit from running - although a bit off form at the moment, part of the fun is getting back - i hope!!!
  • Options
    I have just spoken to my doctor, who was very understanding and assured me it was an incredibly common problem. However, she did say that, as we have probably all realised already that aside from Immodium, there isn't actually a real cure. It is the nature of being active (and runners seem to suffer it worse than anyone). So I have just purchased a packed of Immodium + - will try it on my long run this weekend in anticipation of the Richmond 20K the following. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    Attagirl tigertwo - good luck on your long run, and welcome to the trotting club! I'll try out the Lomotil on my long run and we can compare notes...
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    Can any of you trotters who've used Lomotil advise me how long before a run it's best to take them please?
  • Options
    Re Lomotil - the Doc told me they work in 25 minutes, but I take them about 90 minutes beforehand, but I do still do a loop around home about 30 minutes after I have taken them and still need to go!