Options

Hungry

13»

Comments

• Options
    For breakfast, I recommend a big bowl of cold, dry porridge oats with low fat yoghurt, raisins and nuts. It tastes great, fills you up and gives you penty of energy.
  • Options

I think i,ll try the cold porridge option Phil.

• Options

Hi, check the ceral as some are very high GI which you burn through quicker.  For your snack try to have something from all main macronutrients so if you are having yoghurt add raw almonds and a piece of fruit, other snacks I use are rice crackers with hummus and tomato, fruit toast with low fat cream cheese.  If you are constantly hungry maybe you aren't eating enough for the ammount of training you are doing?
    Hope it helps
    Prue imageimage

• Options

Hiya,

I hope you don't mind me asking a question too.  This is also my first post on the forum.

I am also a newbie to running, on the 3rd week of the 5k plan and have signed up to my first 5k in May eek!  I am running 3 times a week and also attend a hulasise and aerobic class once a week.

I am really enjoying it but have also noticed I am starving, I lost over 3 stone on Rosemary Conley (1500 cals a day) and have another half stone to go.  But since I started running I have been struggling.

I usually have porridge and a banana for breakfast, apple mid-morning, soup or a sandwich/salad at lunchtime, pasta tea, and can have a treat.  My calories will increase when I get in target with this half stone to about 2000 a day which will make things easier.

I suppose I am asking some general advice am I better loading up with additional fruit/veg?  I don't want to ruin my progress with my weight loss.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LC x

• Options

Hi LC

Absolutely massive well done on your weight loss so far, and taking up running (and the other exercise). image

Are you still basing your weight loss on an intake of 1500 cals a day?  If this daily total was previously based on a less active lifestyle you're probably struggling because you're not able to fuel yourself sufficiently.

If the running is a recent addition, you can probably afford to up your calorie intake slightly.

The danger with having your calorie intake total too low is that you may feel hungry and be more tempted to have the occasional binge.

I've been using nutracheck to monitor my calorie intake and expenditure - I'm not overweight but at the upper end of my BMI range, and would like to lose a stone or so to get me to a weight that's more comfortable.  In my case, I'm intending to lose no more than 1 lb a week.  Based on height, weight and activity levels (I'm a student, so aside from loads of exercise I do sit at a computer a lot!) my basic calorie intake target is set at 1715, with a daily exercise target of 200 cals burnt, bringing the overall total down to 1515 cals per day.

Virtually every day I massively exceed the exercise target, and I actually tend to eat those extra exercise calories (apart from those within the 200 target) - otherwise my body could go into starvation mode and hoard any excess fat on days when I accidentally overindulge due to hunger pangs (unlikely now I'm fuelling more effectively).

I tend to focus on fruit and veg (dried fruit is a good option), a handful of nuts, low fat carby snacks such as malt loaf or maybe having something like an extra glass of skimmed milk here or there.

The well-recognised recommended daily amount of 2000 cals per day for women is based on the 'average' person - most runners are far more active than this.

Calories in/calories out is a simple equation, but you should still be eating enough to lose weight without actually starving yourself.

My brother was an example of this - in his case overweight but a postman, therefore doing over 4 hours walking a day, plus at least two runs a week (5-8 miles each).  He was wondering why he wasn't losing any weight with all this exercise until we realised how low is calorie intake was compared with what he was burning off, but now he's started fuelling up (healthily) properly he's actually lost a significant amount of weight and looks much healthier as well.

I'm really not an expert on this however, but this is just my two penn'orth!

Anyway, good luck with meeting those targets! image

• Options

Hi Lady Pineapple,

Many thanks for the reply, I think that exactly what I have been doing, sticking to 1500 cals a days and it is not enough for the exercise I have been doing.

I will give it a go with additional fruit and nuts as you suggested and see how I get on.  It was so annoying doing all that extra exercise and then giving into a mars bar, will admit I enjoyed it at the time though lol.

I am hoping to get near the end of my 5k training in the next four weeks and i know the food element once sorted will help.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

LC

• Options

No problem, LC! image

Although it's still early days with me trying to lose weight, I definitely feel better and have more energy - over the past few days I've managed: 

• Thursday - 45 mins spin class
    • Friday - 5 mile run
    • Saturday - 45 mins spin class, 20 mins Swiss ball, 1 hr pilates
    • Sunday - 8 mile run
    • Monday - 4.5 mile run
    Plus 1 hr walking to/from uni every day.

I'm not trying to show off.  I'm just pointing out that at one time - recently! - there would have been no way I could have done all this without collapsing, but with proper fuelling (and proper, regular rest - coming up soon image) sustained, substantial activity is achievable.

Incidentally, although I've re-adjusted to enjoy healthier snacks, for me, no foods are 'banned' - my diet is predominately healthy, and if yours is too and you're active, the odd bar of chocolate - within your calorie range - shouldn't be out of the question; denial/deprivation can lead to overindulgence later on!

Anyway, good luck with it all.  Let us know how you get on with the 5K - you'll be fine; you've got plenty of time to train!

LP xx

• Options

Hiya LP,

Wow, I hope I manage you get up to a 8 mile run one day, I really admire long distance runner and hope to get there - one day!

I had about near enough 2000 cals today and felt so much better and not hungry at all, just need to concentrate on getting the balance right.

Will keep you up to date on my training!

LC x

• Options

You'll get there, LC! image

Keep at it - build up the running slowly and gradually, and you'll progress in time.

Glad you felt better with a bit more fuel in you - you'll get used to the balancing act, although it does take a bit of re-adjustment.  Keep up the good work, and the best of luck!