Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

DT2 - glad you on the mend, but as someone who completely f***ed his achilles in the past by running before properly healed gotta say take it steady!

Philby - yeah you're right .Enjoy it.  Was going to say hope you beat your boys but that just sounds so wrong.image

• Options

Hi Guys,

Haven't been on here for some time. Haven't really had much to say!

Am now running pain free so it looks as though the achilles has finally cleared itself up. Did 10 miles today which is my longest run for ages. And it felt like it. Ran it at my LSR pace which is approx 10min miles. Can't believe I was running a half-marathon in March at less than 8min miles.Oh well, at least it's a step in the right direction. 

On the non-running front, after 8 months out of work I started a new job last Tuesday. Only temporary at present but will have to see how it goes. 

GP, hope your problems sort themselves out. Good luck to you and everyone else doing Nottingham. I'm determined that I will run a race with some of you people one day. 

Good luck to Phil, Fiona and Caz for their races tomorrow. Hope I haven't missed anyone out. 

• Options
    Yes yes yes!!!

All done, a really difficult day as the wind was quite feisty around parts of the route but the temps were decent, prob peaking at 17 deg c, well the times!!

Dan finished in 4:12:15

Adam finished in 4:11:45

Me in 3:58:40

I am made up with the result for obvious reasons, but I must say I was proud of the boys who did not get sufficient training in due to various reasons and for that their times were excellent, Adam actually has a new pb from his Edinburgh time of 4:15:20.

Hope you all had a great day and enjoyed your races.

Me and the boys are going to McDonalds to eat our body weight in burgers and fries washed down with a gallon of strawberry milkshakes image
  • Options
    Tremendous, Phil. Many congratulations to you and the boys!
  • Options
    Well done Philby - great stuff

• Options
    Go on Phil, you Smashed it! and breaking under 4hrs aswell, impressive stuff mate, well worthy of a Mc D's!
  • Options
    GE, TWU, R Dave and DT2 , thanks so much for the kind words, I must say my eldest daughter who we Skyped tonight didn't half rip into the boys over the result - bloody hilarious image

The Mc D's was simply heavenly after 12 weeks of eating "healthily" can't remember craving crap so much ever !

Well Cardiff half marathon next, but not before I have had a full week without looking at my trainers.

Thanks again

Phil
  • Options

*limps onto thread*  Well done Philby, absolutely brilliant result there... image

I'm going to ignore the 1:15:01 time for my 10K yesterday... I fell over... image  Just after the 1km marker a pot hole jumped up and grabbed my foot, I didn't 'arf go down with a bang... My right knee is a mess and my left elbow looked worse initially than it actually is... It has 4 or 5 small cuts on it but I think it's going to turn a lovely shade of purple/black/blue...  My friend Angie who I was running with says I was totally gone when I was sat at the side of the road and she thought that was it race over for me... I was shaking like a leaf, not focussing on anything and all I wanted was Mr CS... Then my big bosses daughter who was in the wave after us came along, spotted me sat there and went "Caz what have you done? You d*ckhead its only 6miles" which was enough to pull me back round... We cobbled together some makeshift bandages using tissues & sweatbands and then off we went again.

Poor Mr CS, not only is he being a wonderful nurse & looking after me fantastically well but how do I repay him... By asking him to run with me this coming Sunday as I'm worried about falling again and all I wanted was Mr CS to make everything better but I couldn't remember his mowbli for the life of me.  We'd agreed a while back that we'd run our own races at Nottingham so he could go get a decent time and now I dont want to be on my own... image

• Options

imageWoo Hoo!! - Well done Philby - awesome! image

And pass my congrats on to the boys - really good times for all of you and a new PB for Adam.  Are they planning the next one yet? - surely their goal must be to beat Dad? - or are you going to be wicked and retire on a high? Tee Hee. image

Sorry to hear you are hobbling today Caz - was hoping that things wouldn't stiffen up too much over night for you. image  Just try and keep mobile this week - even if just walking.  It should help keep any swelling to a minimum.  Well done for finishing - ignore the time - with a sore leg you showed real guts to complete the course.  Chin up - you will be absolutely fine come Sunday. image

R Dave - didn't expect to see you on the thread for a bit - are you busy organising your Stag wend?  Is it still this wend coming?  How is Jo's training coming along?  Is she looking forward to Notts?

OK - Bristol half - I did PB - but I didn't get sub 2 image - 2.02.54.  Thought before it would be touch or go but first 8 miles went really well.  Garmin played up at start splits were all to pot so I thought I would just run how I felt.  Well on course for sub 2 and feeling good. Somewhere between 8 and 10 started coughing, pulled over and brought up some of this gunk that has been loitering for daysimage.  From there on in never really got back into my stride.  Had some good bits and bad bits.  By 12 I knew the sub 2 was off so I eased off.  On a positive my chest feels a lot clearer  - it was a PB - no major aches today.

So an easy week for me now before Hoody.  Then Swansea 10k 26th Sept and Cardiff half 17th Oct.  Cardiff half has to be the one now - sub 2 hours or I am retiring!! Lol.

Loads and loads of chips came off yday in Bristol though - gonna be some pretty unhappy people out there today. imageimage

• Options
    Goldeagle wrote (see)

Hi Guys,

Haven't been on here for some time. Haven't really had much to say!

image - don't be so polite GE - having nothing to say has never stopped the rest of us. imageimage

Good to hear from you.  Glad you are back running pain free and Good Luck in your new job. image

• Options

Dave, hoe did i forget! the Stag Do!!! sweet jesus you must be feelining the fear now!? your abroad for this one aswell arent you?.....double danger! hope you survive ok & if i was you i'd accept the fact now that there will be ZERO running for the remainder of the month!

Caz, you really do sound like youve been in the wars! like Fi says though, make sure you keep mobile and get plenty of ibobrufin down you if you need it. Super Tanner will be on call this Sunday so you'll be coverd there!

Fi, i'd call 'bringing up gunk' progress! better out than in as they say! i also liked the way that you just missed out on sub 2 by 2mins, just so you can go sub 2hrs on Sunday and have us all buy you celebratory beers!

GE, great to have you back mate, we'll have to start an achillies support group soon, im praying i dont have to deal with them anymore this year....or ever for that fact! good news on the job front mate.

the countdown is on now! lets see how much my no training schedule has helped me out this time around! only realised lastnight that i havent actually raced a half since Oct last year! where the hell has the year gone!?

• Options

Well done Phil on beating 4 hours and your sons!!

Goldeagle glad you've got a new job and hope things go well for you.

Well done on the half time Fiona - sub-2 is within reach!!

Caz - I can sympathise with you. I fell down the stairs at home on saturday (i was sober). I have bruised ribs, a very swollen bruised right hip and a bruised and twisted ankle, although I was lucky not to break anything! At the minute trying to walk is painful never mind running. I've got 5 weeks till the Palma marathon and i'm not feeling very confident now!

Good luck and enjoy you running while I lie on the sofa and feel sorry for myself.

• Options

Caz, Caz, Caz **sends healing vibes and big hug**

Sheffield is just one big pot hole at the minute. Sometimes they are so big that we can run down one side of them and back up the other and call it hill reps. I really hope your in good shape for Notts and you should be a big brave girl and let Mr CS go and do his own race.

Yes it's my stag do this weekend and not worried about it at all - what could possibly go wrong?

We're golfing all day near Manchester and staying over in a posh hotel and then over to Leeds on the Saturday for a boozy day out. We should have been going to the cricket semi-final but the ECB made Yorkshire move it to Scarborough image

I have booked a swimming lesson today so you know what that means don't you?

TRIATHLON - but not just any old race. I'm going straight for the biggy - Ironman in 2012image

Jo has trained well for Nottingham and she says she is looking forward to it. I'll be giving her directions to the pub so please keep an eye out for her. She'll be the one with a beetroot for a head after she has run 13 miles. Sorry I can't be there guys but sure we'll get together for a race next year at some point.

• Options
    R Dave wrote (see)

Caz, Caz, Caz **sends healing vibes and big hug**

Sheffield is just one big pot hole at the minute. Sometimes they are so big that we can run down one side of them and back up the other and call it hill reps. I really hope your in good shape for Notts and you should be a big brave girl and let Mr CS go and do his own race.

*snif wibble sniff*  Can we buy some Action Man Walkie Talkies so if anything does happen I can call him back??? *wibble*

Ooooh are you going to have to learn how to balance a parrott between those bouncing boobies or are you not going down the route of the Pirates Dave???

We'll look after Jo, don't you worry... She does have access to your money right???

Ouch WR, I take back my pathetic wibbling... Hope you're ok hun and it is nothing more than bruising and a bit of muscle stiffness. I would say take it easy, but as the others have told me keeping mobile will help with the muscle aches & pains.

DT, if you wouldn't mind having your SuperTanner costume on under your running kit on Sunday that would be great. image

Well done Fi, you is a little speed demon... That sub-2 is yours for the taking hun... Go Fi!!!  *waves pom poms*  *moans about shoulders & hands hurting*

• Options
    Ironman!? aim high why dont you! funnily enough i was watching Bolton Ironman comp on the tv over the weekend, was thinking i'd love to have a crack at that. just to be able to call myself an IRONMAN! small prob is the fact that i cant swim though! could be a bit of a stumbling block for me! Boozy day out in Leeds........thats even more dangerous than going abroad mate! goodluck! image
  • Options
    Trying to keep mobile Caz but I look like an old man shuffling about at the minute.

Ironman - bloody hell, I have a mate in Oz who was training for IM the last time I was there and the amount of training required was incredible!! Also the expense of all the gear, but it would be a tremendous feat. I live beside the sea and it's no fun open water swimming here let alone trying to swim 2.4 miles!!

Anyway enjoy the stag do, i can just about remember mine back in 98, Edinburgh funnily enough - at least you're fast enough to out sprint your mates at the end of the night before they humiliate you!!

Good luck WR
  • Options
    Fiona, thanks, sounds like you had a race of 2 halves, you are definitely going to crack 2 hrs, and I will drag you round under 2 hrs on Oct 17 if necessary!!! image That's a genuine offer as whatever time I get will be my official "pb" imagebtw, did you mean timing chips dropped off runners shoes??

Caz, you had a sodding miserable day by the sounds of it, sorry it didn't go to plan, just put it behind you and develop that pot-hole radar before your next outing. I agree with Fiona, going arse over tit so to say and then sorting yourself out mentally is not easy when your hot, sweaty and knackered, but you got up and finished - there were quite a number at Moray who limped off the course, so well done for getting through it.

WR, thanks fella, it was a bonus to get under 4 hrs with the Junior Hendy's behind me image
  • Options

image - awwww! Thanks Phil.  I think I need to someone with a big stick behind me. Lol. But honestly - I wouldn't want to hold you up.  By Cardiff - ***touches wood*** - I should be on for a sub 2.  Going into Bristol I knew it would be tight.  Wasn't quite ready for it and wasn't quite 100%.  And boy what a double celebration will that be? - Watch out Cardiff! imageimage

And yes I did mean timing chips.  Didn't explain very clearly did I? - you must have had visions of unhappy people slipping over chippy chips. image Apparently accoding to reports about 600 came off.

Just had look at my photos from Bristol.  Why is it that every God damn photo has me alongside or surrounded by 8 ft giants!!! - makes me look even more like a stumpy short arse. imageimage

WR - ow! - sounds like you were very lucky!  Maybe would've been better if you had been drunk - may have bounced a bit better.  image  Fingers crossed for you for a speedy recovery - hope it's not too long before you can get back to training.  Don't worry too much - your training was well on course so a week off now won't do any harm.  Can you get yourself off to a spa bath/steam room/sauna complex? - may help the aches. 

So that's the injury bench full again - so no more injuries please guys. image

Caz hope you are feeling a bit better today? 

Dave have an enjoyable stag wend - hope you can remember enough to give us a full report.  IM - bloody hell. Good Luck. Me and my friend are going to start doing a couple of tri's next year - but baby ones in comparison to IM.  You must be mad!  Think I'd rather join WR on the ultra bench. image

DT - can't believe you would think I would be so calculating as to miss out on sub 2 just to get a few more drinks this wend. image the thought had never crossed my mind.

• Options

Makeshift Bandages  OMG I have never looked so cr&p in race photos... most of them I'm looking down and I think because I'm going so slow (even slower than nomal) it's emphasising my I need a pee style of running. <a href="http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/GRUK/2010/Bupa Great Yorkshire Run&amp;photo=GYRV0882&amp;match=5415" title="Makeshift Bandages" target="_blank">image</a>

Mr CS has told me in no uncertain terms if my knee is still bothering me this weekend then I'm waving the pom poms with Shaun...

• Options
    image Hang on, that doesn't normally happen when I insert a linky thing... Er-hum RW I think there is a glitch with the system...
  • Options
    Managed to find your piccies and love the makeshift bandages. I think they could catch on as a running accessory.

DT2 I also watched Ironman at Bolton on the tele thinking that some of the finishers looked positively 'chunky' and much less fitter than me. Have I made an BIG mistake?

Have decided on Ironman as running seems to be less attractive to me of late. Maybe it's not having a big race to focus on perhaps but I just can't get motivated. I reckon that learning to swim 2.4 miles and then the challenge of getting from bike legs to running legs will be fun. If I bike for 20 minutes in the gym and then get on the treadmill it feels like I've someone else's legs on. Imagine after 112 miles on a bike - what a giggle!

Will report on stag do next Monday if I feel up to it. Enjoy Nottingham everyone
  • Options

imageimage - oh what a giggle! - bloody hilarious ...................................... for those watching. image

I was watching an IM on the telly the other day - Nottingham I think - and noticed that they have team entries - or at least that one did.  Now I wouldn't mind that - as long as I had the bike section!!  Now that would be waaaaayyyyy cool!.

Thought your pics were good Caz - even with bandages they were better than mine. image

• Options

Caz, thats a stunning bit of makeshift bandaging right there, very fetching!

Dave, im hearing you on the motivation front, not having an autumn marathon has been a killer this year, you best get yourself up for project sub 2.45 next year though! know what you mean about the guys taking part in Bolton IM, i found myself not only thinking that i could manage that, but i could also whoop some of those guys over the bike/run! but then i was sat in my pj's drinking tea and eating toast at the time!

• Options

Quick memory refresher for this Sunday... *crosses fingers & hopes this link works* Pub Pub Pub!!!

It's amazing what you're capable of when you're sat on the sofa eating toast in your pj's... 

• Options

image I thought we said keeping mobile would be the best?  image

DT - any suggestions on where to book for a meal Sat evening in Notts?  Suggestions please - nothing too posh - just good sensible carb-loading food.  5 of us so far - you are welcome to join us if you like. Ta muchly.

• Options
    Fiona if you've moved onto the ultra bench are you thinking of doing one?image
  • Options
    Caz, nice bit of bandagery - could do with those skills out in Afghanistan !

Fi, I am not bothered what time as its an end of the year race for me, so if you want a pacemaker "cough cough - can't believe I said that with me well beyond the first flush of youth image ) I am your man, I am certain I can get you under 1:55!!!

R Dave, hope you come back from your stag trip - for the love of god take picture ID and leave the passport in the hotel safe image PS, IM/Ultra? you and WR are certifiable image

I feel really guilty, I have done nothing but eat (mostly shite to boot) since Sunday, I know I deserve a little blow out but f me I feel as if I have put a stone on in 2 days (prob closer 2kgs!) I will start behaving by the end of the week - but for the love of god, Jill made 3 carrot cakes for me and the boys, who sadly went back today leaving 1.5 carrot cakes left, Jill is on Atkins, so I have to do the deed!!!

• Options

You deserve to pig out for a while Phil!!image

I haven't run for 4 days now and can't wait to get back out - although walking is a bit sore at the moment and I do still have a lot of bruising and swelling down my right side, so i've scheduled a 3 mile shuffle for thursday morning.

2011 is the year for the ultra!!!image

• Options
    whitehead runner wrote (see)
    Fiona if you've moved onto the ultra bench are you thinking of doing one?image

Ha! Ha! - thought I might have sneaked that one under the radar - but you spotted it. Lol.

Not so much sat on either bench - but very firmly sat on the fence between. image

Good luck with your run on Thurs - hope it is not too painful.

Philby - as WR said - you deserve to pig out.  And carrot cake - how on earth can you resist? - it just has to be done.

Mentioned to Shaun about your offer of pacemaker.  He thinks it's a good idea but I just don't want to feel like I am holding you up.  Plus he is of the opinion that I need a kick up the bum - and your the man to do it.  Whilst I have visions of being shouted at all the way around Cardiff bay. imageimageimage