Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Hi Fi, legs a lot better today, thank the lord ! Mynydd y Gaer was a lovely, quiet and picturesque peak - well worth the effort to get there, can't believe your legs were up to the MF training as well, you would have done well in the services.

Dave, your target of 2:35 is a mere 1 hours 10 minutes quicker than my Edi target - ONE HOUR TEN MINUTES!!!! Somedays, I feel as if I am not putting a 100% in, whether it's amount of miles, pace or diet - well, there's always room for improvement, in my case A LOTimage But never fear Phil will perservere!!!

Dentist tomorrow to try and refit an annoying cap that keeps working itself loose - I have to queue at The Heath in Cardiff for an emergency appointment and neeed to be there before doors open at 0730 to try and secure an appt!

WR, due to next years posting to Brize ( 1 Apr 12) and having returned from Bahrain Jan 12 I will not even attempt to enter the VLM, so 2013 (unluck??) will be the earliest I will tick that box. 

• Options
    Phil, my RAF friend in Qatar at the mo was intending to be home middle of next month but is now being kept till the end of June, it seems deployment dates are as much a lottery as the VLM!!
  • Options
    alison cameron 3 wrote (see)

Gairloch 10k road race 7th June 6.30pm if anyone fancies it.  Great scenery and fun atmosphereGairloch 10k 2011 entry form

• Options
    Where's Gairloch???

Alison, only 2 on this forum doing the Edinburgh marathon this year we're all still here since 2010!!

Got a run and cycle in today before lunch and was thinking how hard it must be to do triathlon training - are you still sticking with it Beavis? and if so how's it going.
  • Options
    WR, been concentrating on the running section of the training lately as I've got a half on Sunday then I'll be upping the bike and swim to get ready, probably 2 sessions of each per week, it's only a super sprint so I haven't got to go silly with the training but I do want to beat my time from 2 years ago.
  • Options
    Good luck for Sunday Beavis and your continuing training for the triathlon.
  • Options

*looks around frantically*  I can't see any pink elephants on bikes Dave... Maybe they've cycled off to another thread... image 

So Phil, is Fi part Welsh mountain goat then???  Glad she didn't kill you off with your little tootle at the weekend... Only 3 and a bit wees to go... image

GE take care of yourself hun, don't rush back to training until you've shifted than chest infection once and for all, as the others have said Paris will stand you in good stead for Edinburgh anyhoo.

Joke for you ... Why is is not a good idea to play cards in the savanna?? Too many cheetahs.... image  Well, the same can be said for the race on Monday... We passed 2 imageethnic minorities on the hill at 3k, in fact we breezed past them as they were walking by this point.... they then managed to come flying past us barely out of breath just after 9k... (it was kind of a wonky figure 8 course so possible to cut across and miss a big chunk out) and as much as I wanted to kick it and go back past them my legs just weren't playing ball....  The hill at 7k which was blooming deceptive... I ploughed up it to what I thought was the summit as it dropped a little bit, then it rose again so I tucked in behind Mr CS and focussed on his feet to again what I thought was the summit as it levelled off for a fraction of a second then as we went round the corner it blooming well rose again... image   Finished in 1:02:49 (Garmin) which I was happy with as its still sub 65 and it was close to if not the same as Edinburgh heat and mainly on trail/loose gravel paths.

Good luck this Sunday Beavis, which race are you doing???

TWU, are you doing Leeds half???  We're planning on getting the train in so we can have a wee bevvy afterwards.

• Options
    Forgot to say, we had to decline the wedding invite as we've got a 16mile run planned for tomorrow morning... image
  • Options
    Hi Caz, well done on that last run, sounded quite a challenging course, and yes Fi is a certified mountain goddess, I had to slow her down twice as I was "f****d" image great run though, awesome training with stunning views, Fi does it often, that steep climb though is an absolute barsteward image
  • Options

I've just read back through what I typed earlier... image  That bit should read 3 and a bit weeks not wees...

• Options

image..........so it's official....my covers been blown.....I am an Old Goat!! imageimageimageimage

........actually mountain goddess sounds much better. Haha.

Phil - someone on the Snowdon thread gave the facts out the other day on the climbs.  There are 3 main ones at Snowdon - Llanberris - 800ft in 3.5miles,  Beddgelert - 500ft in 2.25m, and Waunfawr 800ft in 2.5m.  The highest point on Sunday was 803ft and I think we were there in just under 3 miles.  So maybe I won't underestimate Mynydd y Gaer in future..................just need to build up to 20+ miles now before October. image

CazSoul wrote (see)

So Phil, is Fi part Welsh mountain goat then???  Glad she didn't kill you off with your little tootle at the weekend... Only 3 and a bit wees to go... image

Goodness me Caz..........you must have the bladder of a camel if you only expect to wee 3 more times. image

Fantastic run from you on the weekend.  Well done.  Hot conditions and it sounded really hilly.  Your running and speed this year is really improving.  All your hard work is paying off. Woo! Hoo!!image

Good luck Beavis on Sunday.  And anyone else running/racing.

I've got my first fitness test this Saturday at military fitness.  Not looking forward to that!!  Gonna be a bit of a shambles me thinks.

Phil - glad your legs are OK.  Phew!...........with Edinburgh so close I would've felt terrible if you had twinged something.

Take care all. x

• Options
    Haha........cross post again Caz.  The phone rang before I could finish my message ..........to you beat me to it. image
  • Options
    Caz, well done on your race the other day, I've never experienced any race cheats before but in my eyes they are only cheating themselves, why enter if you're going to cheat, they are tossers. It is the Lichfield half on Sunday, it's the first time it's been staged and apparently it crosses a train line half way round which will be interesting if people have to stop for a train, there'll be a riot if that happens.
  • Options

it crosses a train line half way round which will be interesting if people have to stop for a train, there'll be a riot if that happens.

image Or a lot of squished people Beavis... image

The reviews of the race I did at the weekend says hilly... but I think that's London hilly & not Yorkshire hilly as I breezed up all the others no problem... imagethat's where I was overtaking people... it was just the false hopes on the one at 7k that did my legs in... if I could've seen how long it went on for then I could've judged the pace up it a bit better.

I can't see the point in cheating either, especially if you're only going to get a mediocre time... I mean they were both over the hour...  Remember that bit at Edinburgh where you went out & back on like a dog leg section at about 16miles then you carried on up the road to the grounds of some house or something before coming back along the sea front... well the other year when we were doing the Hairy Haggis Relay I saw a bloke cut across from the dog leg bit to the going back along the sea front thereby missing out about 4 or 5miles... What's the point???

Fi, you know I'm only teasing when I call you an old goat... luvs ya really... image  You're hill work is certainly paying dividends though hun.  That marafun will be a walk in the park for you by October.

• Options
    CazSoul wrote (see)

TWU, are you doing Leeds half???  We're planning on getting the train in so we can have a wee bevvy afterwards.

Unfortunately will be missing Leeds half this year as am doing Stratford marathon that day, which is a shame as it is one of my fave races - hadn't checked the dates when booked Stratford. Normally go in Mr.Foleys afterwards, nice atmosphere, a good selection of beers and only 100yds from the finishing line.

What race was it where people were cheating? Like everyone else said - just don't get it. Went into the wilds of Bradford last Saturday for my LSR - up the A65 to Guiseley, then down Hollins Hill (a lot more fun than going up Hollins Hill) into Bingley, joining the canal by the bike shop, then back via Rodley.

Beavis - good luck on Sunday and with your tri training. It's something I'd love to have a go at if I wasn't so cr@p at cycling and swimming.

Lovely morning here for a run, sunny but cool. Did 10 miles off-road, which will prob be the longest run I'll do before Stratford. Have been and got my hair cut - am hoping for a bit of 'the Dave effect' for my marathon.

• Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Afternoon All,

Good luck with the Lichfield Half, Beavis.

Caz, great run for the 10K. Same as everyone else, can't understand why anyone would cheat. What on earth is the point?

Fi, if you're going to run Phil over a few mountains the least you could do would be to try tire him out a bit for me but it sounds as though he quite enjoyed it! He'll be flying round Edinburgh! And it looks like you'll be well trained for Snowdon. A couple of guys from our club did it last year and said it was hard but they really enjoyed it. 

Good luck for Stratford, TWU. Just managed 1  mile of the half there last year before I had to stop with my accursed hamstring.  Sure you'll go really well. Especially with the R Dave patented haircut!

WR, am possibly considering Palma Marathon in October. I know you didnt run in the end but did the organisation look OK? Where would you recommend staying?

Feeling  a lot better today and have pretty well stopped coughing up the inside of my lungs. Hoping to get out for a run on Saturday (or maybe tomorrow morning to get away from theTV!).

• Options
    GE, just been on the Palma forum, yep seemed well organised - we stayed at the Melia something just beside the marina and was about half a mile from the start/finish. The old town is very close for eateries, tapas and drinks.

Did 7 miles today through the countryside, a few cars about as the townies ventured out.

Good luck on sunday at Lichfield Beavis, I went out with a girl from there once she was lovely and very very naughty - wonder what she's doing now?

What a shame i'm going to miss the wedding tomorrow, back to work. (sarcasm)

• Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hi folks, 1st time on this thread as have been busy waffling away on the VLM Sub3 one for the last few months. I'm doing Edinburgh, it's the 1st time I've done 2 marathons so close to each other, but I don't seem to have any ill effects from London. Anyone else on here who'se in the same boat, or has done similar in the past? I just couldn't miss Edi as it's my home town race and I'd be gutted knowing the mara was on and I wasn't doing it - it's gonna be my 7th time at this one, fingers crossed it's not as hot as 09 and 10.

Hope everyones well, and training is on course.

Neil. Edinburgh Man. image 

• Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Hi Neil, firstly I should point out that this is the thread for the 2010 race. There is a 2011 thread around somewhere with lots of people who are actually doing Edi 2011.

Having said that, there are a couple of us on here who are hoping to be there. I'm nearly in the same position as you having done Paris 3 weeks ago. But due to a touch of man flu I haven't really run since. Hoping to get out tomorrow. If you've been posting on the sub-3 thread then you're going to much too quick for myself and Philby who's the other participant. We do however have a couple of guys on here who would definitely give you a good run for your money. Unfortunately neither of them is running Edi this year having flown round London and 'declared' with pretty impressive times until the Autumn!

Hope you have a good run in Edinburgh and that the weather is kind to us!

• Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Cheers Goldeagle, I hadn't looked haha! I should be more 'thread aware'! Hope you get over the MF, bit of a rest will prob do you some good, still 3 weeks to keep things ticking over. I'm still trying to get over the magical sub 3 barrrier, did 3.05 at London following a 3.01 at Amsterdam last year, just need to keep plugging away.

Yeah, you as well, I'm sure you'll be fine. Fingers crossed the weather is the norm for here, i.e. cold!!image

• Options
    Managed to clock 1.47.36 for the Lichfield half today, nice and windy to cool us down for the first 10k then the wind was behind and only caught the odd breeze every now and then, bloody hot by mid-day but enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Great time Beavis, well done.
  • Options

Well done Beavis, sounds as if that was testing conditions with headwinds and heat, a formidable duo in anybodys book!

Got back from Cardiff yesterday and realised like the grade A plonker I am I had left my Saucony Pro Grid 8s at Laura's house - I had done at least (the very least!!!) 450 miles in them so I was def due a new pair, so I went into Inverness to my fave running store Run4It and had gate analysis done and walked out with a surprising for me choice which was a pair of Nike Zoom Structured +14 trainers. I don't typically go for Nike, unfortuntaely I think the brand is tarnished somewhat by the fashion side of the trainer market and they have an element of bling and chavishness to them - what I could not deny is how well they fitted and the impressive support they give. I went on the treadmill trying brookes, saucony and nike (a different trainer on each foot simultaneously for comparison) and was very surprised that Nike felt the best by some margin, btw they weren't cheap at £85 but I should get a year out of them so when you consider the return well worth the outlay.  Not great having to change trainers so close to Edi but will just have to hope they work out for me.

Gorgeous weather here in sunny Elgin, will be out tomorrow for a gentle 8 miler to break those Nike's in then Tue will be my last LSR of 20 miles as I start the taper towards the big day.

Caz, I got back to find a wonderful surprise on my door mat, you are a star and Jill is chuffed, she will personally thank you when we meet up in Edi, suffice to say drinks all round for you and Bruce when we meet up for a few post race bevies - thanks again image

WR, hope your day at the office went ok on Fri, bummer that your shift pattern landed so badly, I would have thought you would get a day of in lieu though??

• Options
    Phil, yep day off in lieu, double time (as is tomorrow) and didn't have to watch the wedding, result!!! Was home by 2 o'clock so got to go to friends for the post wedding barbie although I was oblivious to the wedding chat. I'm not anti-royalist or anything, I just wasn't that interested.

Good luck with the last LSR. I'm a saucony fan and don't know if I could change.
  • Options
    Great effort there Beavis - I don't know how you guys run in these barmy conditions as I have only ventured out twice in the last 8 days. I prefer sipping beer from a tall glass of late.

Adidas all the way for me fella's. Not only in running shoes but also any old skool trainers. Preferably superstars as my 'A' choice but happy to throw on gazelle's, samba, beckenbauer, ZX700 or Trimm Trabb.

I am so like a woman when it comes to trainers and never throw them away and I also keep all the boxes which sends Jo carzy. I even have a pair that I bought but have never worn! They are a limited edition Adidas Superstar designed by Ian Brown with his name on the hell and his sony lyrics on the insole. Never set foot in them yet!
  • Options
    Golf today I think
  • Options
    Work today I think, after a run.
  • Options

Well done on the Lichfield time Beavis. Had similar sunny but windy weather up here. Took the kids out in the Dales and it was boiling hot scrambling up Janet's Foss/Gordale Scar, but picnicking at Malham Tarn we were quite cold even with an extra layer of clothing on due to the wind chill factor. Next to a lake on an exposed plateau may not have been the best choice of picnic site on a windy day but it was very pretty.

Phil - also had a pair of Nike a couple of years ago and know what you mean about brand image. I bought them from Sportsshoes in Bradford where I trust the judgement of the staff. Wouldn't even have tried them on if they hadn't suggested it. Like WR my last 4 pairs have been Saucony, although this is simply because they have been best priced - at heart I remain a brand tart.

I have a completely free day today - no work, kids at their mum's -and it looks to be perfect running conditions out there, sunny but cool, with a light breeze. Off now for a off-road 8 miler at a nice gentle pace. If it wasn't so close to Stratford would prob go for a longer run, it's one of those days that just makes you want to go running.

• Options

Anyone looking for a ticket for Edinburgh full marathon 22nd May, i have a spare for sale. My brother has pulled out with a knee injury.

You can get me on richman.richman.mark163@googlemail.com or 07983 435487 or mr1980efc on twitter.

Slight reduced price

Regards

Mark

• Options

Glad the suprise for Jill made it in one piece Phil, I did have an oh bugger moment when the day after I posted it you posted on here that you was in Welshest Wales. image

*looks around for uninitiated lurkers* image I have a pair of Nike Lunaglides... am thinking of trying some Nike Luna Eclipse as they're meant to have more support than the Glides but I do normally run in Sauconys.  Went out for a 16 on Friday, parked the car at Crossflatts train station and ran into Leeds on the towpath... *whistles innocently*  Checked time as Garmin clicked over to 13.1... 2:26....tum-te-tum...  

Dont think I missed anything... got home switched the tele on and saw all the important bits of the wedding...

Dress... tick
    Vows.... tick
    Kiss... tick
    Beckhams.... erm tick image

Went out with my friend for just over 7miles yesterday, it was supposed to be 8miles but I cut it short as I misjudged the route and I couldn't be bothered tagging some more on as she just wasnt playing ball on the pace... except for the last little tiny bit when she tried to out run me to the finish... WHY?????

Well done on your race Beavis, excellent time there hun. image