Options

Wednesday 13th May

Morning

What: 2 short runs.
Why: Mrs BR going to running club tonight and work gets in the way of the rest of the day.

Last hard: Race Sunday
Last rest: 11 days ago

Comments

• Options
    Just read the end of yesterday's thread.

1. Laura; would love to do a VO2 max test. I'll see if our PE dept needs one doing.

2. Monique; if you had got on to Gladiators, what name would you have chosen? What costume would you have had?

3. Drew; early favourite for injury is hamstrings, closely followed by knees. (A little tip is plenty of alcohol seems to keep injuries at bay. But keep it to yourself, not even the coaching magazines have picked up on this one yet.) Is Askern your next race then?

4. Wardi; what 10k race is it in East Yorks? Good luck with it.

5. MikeS; have been pressganged into being 12th man for the 1st team on Saturday. Would fielding 3rd man both ends be the safest place should the worst happen and I end up playing? I could do shuttle sprints and get some good stretches in between overs.

Think I'll go and watch the Smurfs on Cartoon Netweok now.....
  • Options
    BR it's TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What: am esy 4M done
    pm relay leg

Why: I'm not sure as I don't like racing after a day at work.

Last hard: Sun
    Last rest: Sat

Happy training all.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning

What:short run with club this evening
    Why:10k race tomorrow evening
    Last hard:Sunday
    Last rest:yesterday
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I was just about to say the same thing Big Tim. I had to do a quick calculation in my head first, hoping it wasn't me who had lost a day.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Morning

what: 2*20 mile cycle commute (hope they have showers or I'm in trouble). Will go down the club this evening but may not run.
    Did 10 minutes fast last night and felt OK - not 100% but should be OK for some proper training later in the week before Sunday's 10k
    last hard: Saturday's mara
    last rest: yesterday and Sunday
  • Options
    Hi all,

what : BodySteps and not sure what else yet
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest : yesterday
  • Options
    Morning All!!

What: Speed Session Tuesday, 2.5 Mile Warm Up, 4* 800M Fast with 400M Recoveries ending with a 2.5Mile warm down.
    Why: Becuase it's what happens every Tuesday and the schedule seems to think I need it.

Last rest: Sunday
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last race: Hildenborough Ten (5th May 76:36)
    Next Race: Sevenoaks Seven (18th May) Target (50 Minutes)
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Hi all.

What: 6miles, (run walk, as almost always) first of four days running each day. Definitely not wonderful, but I did it. It was however a gorgeous morning, and the wind was behind me on the last stretch which is always appreciated.

All runs this week are in solidarity with my cousin, who in our youth was my regular accomplice at all family get togethers. During the past fortnight she lost both her middle child (go-karting accident) and her mother.

So, hug your kids twice today, tell your mothers/fathers husbands/wives how wonderful they are, against the day when they are not here to hear you say it. They are only here on loan.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    BR..my 10K race tonight is in Pocklington. My club enter a series of six 10K races open to clubs in York & District competed on a league basis. The last one in the series in July differs in that it is done on a handicap system which is great fun (if you're having a good run!). The runners set off in order of ability, slowest first, the theory is everyone should finish roughly together. The last kilometre is quite a sight as 200 runners converge!

I will hopefully report back later.
  • Options
    Cold but sunny morning today.

What: 3.2 mile plod. Very happy with myself.
    Why: Been dying to cover more than 3 miles even if it's only by 0.2
    Last Run: Saturday
    Last Rest : Sunday, Monday.

Next run: First attempt at 5 miles, with a bit of a walk, Thursday.
  • Options
    Morning,

Stickless, I'm so sad to hear about your cousin's child. May you all support each other (as I'm sure you do).

Wardi, BT, good luck with your races today, and Hilly for tomorrow.

What: VO2 max test.
    Why: It's free and I can't say no, though why I want to wreck myself in front of bunch of 15yr olds I'm not sure.
    Last hard: last night.
    Last rest: Thurs
  • Options
    Stickless, that's awful.
    Wish there was something I could say. I'm glad you're there for her. Lean on us if you need to.

Lots of quality running going on, I see. Hope everyone has a rewarding day. Club night for me tonight, at which I'll remember how lucky I am.
  • Options
    Morning everyone.

Stickless, so sorry to hear about your cousin's misfortune. My condolences to you and your cousin.

Laura, good luck with the VO2 max test. I am sure that you will enjoy it.

What: rest
    Why: scheduled rest day
    Last hard: yesterday's hill session
    Last rest: Tuesday last week.
  • Options
    My sincere sympathy to your cousin, Stickless. And to you, since you must be feeling it badly too, with them being such close family.

Well done, TGCS. That's a major barrier you've just leapt over. I remember being chuffed when I did what I considered my first "proper" long road run. It was 3.8 miles.

Laura, good luck. Hope your breakfast stays down.

What: Either a run (8-ish miles) or a gym session including some treadmill running, depending on the weather.
    Why: Cos I'm a wuss about running in the rain (although I did get slightly damp at Hogsmill on Sunday) and it's time I did something constructive after dossing around yesterday.
    Last hard day: Oooh, dunno. Sunday, probably - most of the Moonwalk, followed by Hogsmill 5-mile race (aka longest warm-up ever followed by a PB).
    Last rest day: Yesterday - though I probably notched up 6-7 miles of walking around London.
    Next enforced rest: Tomorrow and probably a couple of weeks thereafter. Finally having that hernia fixed in the morning.
  • Options
    Morning, glad to find I hadn't ACTUALLY lost a day.

Marj -- just ((hugs))
    -------------------------------------------
    today.....

What: Tai Chi lesson

Why: Because it's the last private lesson before I go back to work next week.

Last Rest: Monday.

Last Hard: Saturday.
  • Options
    V-rap -- Good Luck for tomorrow. It's easy - Mr healed up in no time after his op (although at the time I recall it felt like eons the way he whinged about it).
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Good luck, V'rap, and thanks all.
  • Options
    Good luck with your op Vrap, I bet doctors are the worst patients! Belated congrats on your weekend escapades too.(look up Lake District weekend thread on URWRC forum btw)

Have a good tai Chi lesson Cath.
  • Options
    I will look that up, Laura.

Just reread my post - must make it clear that I didn't DNF the Moonwalk, it's just that the first mile or so was on Saturday, not Sunday, and I was being pedantic.

If Vinnie Jones could be on the ski slopes two weeks after having a double hernia op, I've got to make a quicker recovery than that. He's a man, and he's never had the endurance training that being a junior hospital doctor involves.
  • Options
    Morning all

Chilly, showery here

Barnsley - is quoting from the same song twice in 2 weeks allowed???

Third man at both ends is probably about as safe as you can get on a cricket ground. Mind you, I've always held the view if that you go into a sport fearing injury, you're more likely to get injured.
    What do you mean by "if the worst happens"? You get to field as 12th man, or actually play?

Good luck tonight Wardi

Stickless - that's really sad.

what: Thurstaston multi-terrain race
    why: a) it's local
    b) think in my current state of zero confidence & increasing conviction of irreversible decline, a hard race where it'll be impossible to infer anything from the time (due to not knowing the distance & the terrain being v difficult), is probably the best thing I could do
    c) laying a ghost - this is the event where 2 years ago I was warming up, decided to make a last trip to the gents, slipped & banged knee badly - and foolishly decided to run on it, despite probably being in a mild state of clinical shock. That and my premature comeback attempts wrecked my running summer of 2001

last hard day: Fri (maybe Sun)
    last long day: 9 days ago
    last rest day: no idea
  • Options
    What - "recovery" run 3 miles with club tonight

Why - half mara on Sun 11th pb 1:53:27- 3 mins faster than last one! so legs still bit delicate

Last hard - Sunday

Last long - Sunday!

Last rest - yesterday!!

Next race - thinking about a 10k next Monday evening........wondering if I can get another pb on back of much improved fitness due to FLM training?! How long can it last?

V-rap -good luck with op and recuperation

Stickless - how very sad, thoughts with you
  • Options
    10 entries added in the time I took to write mine!

So in addition: Have fun Laura!
    Good luck Vrap - hope all goes well
    TGCS - well done!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Stickless - my thoughts are with you and your cousin. Losing a parent is heartbreaking; losing a child is something incomprehensible.

V-rap - my money is on you to beat Vinnie!

Mike S - go to the loo before you leave the house, and have a good race.

Today for me:

What: Just a couple of miles
    Why: In a rush last night, I pulled the wrong socks out of the drawer, and have given myself a couple of cracking blisters. Off to Boots at lunchtime to get some compeeds, but I don't want to make them worse.

Last hard: Killer Hill route last night
    Last rest: Saturday
  • Options
    Did my VO2(e) max test, the e stands for embarrassment panting along on a treadmill wearing a mask in front of two groups of slouching 15yr olds. I'm sure they were amazed to see a person of my incredible age (my stats were on the screen for everyone to see!) even wearing trainers let alone run in them.
    As I suspected, stuff over the past few days meant I couldn't get near my maxhr, so peaked at 92% which related to a VO2index of 57. Not sure that tells me anything at all except it's higher than last time!
    However have arranged to go back for a proper exercise test where blood lactate is also measured; that gives more useful data on training zones, and will be done without an audience.
  • Options
    Evening all,

Stickless - condolences to your cousin.

Good luck to all those racing

What: Hard fast apce session in effort to get my 10km time down. 15 mins warm up and then four miles at around 35-36 mins for 10km pace with 3 min recoveries in between

Why: Hoping this will be key to getting my marathon time down under 2:45 in autumn.

Last rest: friday

Last hard: Sunday

Simon
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Stickless, very sorry to hear about your cousin's loss!

Well done Laura, that was a brave thing to do in front of a group of teenagers! Rather you than me. It's bad enough teaching them!

Good luck Mike with the race, hope it goes well!

Good luck v-rap with the op. Should we place bets on when you go for your first post op run!?

Good luck everyone else racing as I'm sure I've missed someone.

I'm not running today even though I said I was. Decided to have an extra rest day before my 10k as feeling a bit tired today. I don't much like this time of year at work, exams, exams and more exams! Bring on the Summer hols!
  • Options
    evening all,

Stickless, i can only add to the thoughts and condolencs expressed above. Thats tragic. Take care.

what - 20 mins swimming
    why - running rest day but still working on fitness
    last hard - mon
    last rest - sun

Good running all...
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    what: xtraining 10km
    why: too tired to go outside
    last hard:saturday
    last rest: me birfday
    (yesterday)
  • Options
    Evening to all.

So sorry Stickless, my thoughts go out to all.

Laura sounds a challenging one, good going though, how long does it take?

V-rap good luck with tomorrow morning.

Been a funny day for training, but made up for it early evening.

What: Swimming, only done 15 lengths in pool as school kids turned up and cut off half the pool, extreamly annoyed.
    Ran 3k to physio and 3k back
    40 min hard hill session on the bike covering 27km followed by a hard 20 minute run.

Why: Tri training

Last Hard: Today
    Last Rest: 8 days ago

Cs u 2mozzer

• Options
    Stickless, sorry :(

Update: BodySteps then
    - 3x8oom & 1x600m @10.5k/h
    - 200m @9k/h rec
    - incline 1%