Options

Early morning running

13»

Comments

• Options

In reply to the original question at the start of this thread. It's all to do with discipline. If you don't have any then running is not for you. There are many times in training when I simply don't want to go, but i have to and that's the end of it. I was just in Florida for the Orlando half, and in the week before I had to get up at 5am to train for between 7 and 10 miles in 87 degrees F tempretures and 90% humidity. I did not really enjoy the effort it took to get up and 'prepare' then leave the house. But it was all worth it in the because i ended the race with a PB. Then I took two weeks off and ate my arse off image

• Options
    God am I eating too much at the moment too!
  • Options

Hi there! 

First post here, as my profile says I've been running for around a year and during that time I've gone from struggling around my local block to doing 3-4 miles three times a week and yesterday, I broke the ten minute mile for the first time, so I'm pretty happy right now.   My target is to reach around 20 miles a week.

Generally, what I do is an hour or so on my Total Trainer 2000 and then straight out for a run after that.  The first time I tried it, I thought I'd be knackered, but I actually ended up going further than I usually do.  I couldn't do it the other way round, that's for sure - I don't like starting work-outs all sweaty. image  If we were talking early morning running though, I'd scrap the hour weights workout and just do a warm up for the run - and move the Total Trainer session to later in the day.

Although my profile says I never do any running events, there's every chance of that changing at some point - my nephew mentioned the 'M' word the other day (marathon) and I told him that I've got quite a way to go before even considering doing that, but it's beginning to form in my mind as a long-term ambition.  I have the greatest respect for anyone able to run 26 miles, or even 12 miles and would consider it a real privilege to be able to join them one day.

OK, maybe it's time for some on-topic. image

I'm considering doing some early morning running - I imagine it probably gives a completely different experience when no one else is around, or when the roads are quiet and as others have said, you wouldn't have to stop too long, or at all, at junctions.  Plus, it brings to mind the images of Rocky leaving on his early morning training sessions (without inhaling several egg yolks.  Euuuuuyuck)! image

Edit:   Sorry!!!!  I just noticed that the thread is three years old - bad habit of mine, just replying to things without checking the date first... image