Options

1500m Training For Masters European Champs 2010

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Moragan, what sessions are you going to do to tune yourself for the 800 metres??
  • Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

3 * (3 * 200m) @ 800m pace w/ 100m rec; 400m rec between sets. 

6 * 300m @ 800m pace w / 2-3:00 recovery

4 * 400m @ 800m pace w / 4:00 recovery

These basically establish my core 800m fitness.  Once I can do these I will start doing the following types of workouts:

2 * (4*200m) @ 800m pace w / 20 secs stand rec full recovery between sets.  (Starts off easy, ends up nasty!).

This is designed to improve lactic tolerance.

3 * (200m steady / 400m @ 800m pace / 100m float / 100m sprint) w / full rec. between sets.

3 * (300m 2-3 secs faster than 800m pace / 200m float / 200m sprint / 100m float).

The latter 2 are aimed at taking 800m fitness and testing it in a race simulation without the stress of a full 800m at race pace.  I'll also be racing at 400m and 1500m which both help 800m performance.

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    800m pace workouts are by far my favourite and I've been looking forward to these all season.  34 weeks of training and I can get started on them!
  • Options
    silly question, the disciplines to improve your core 800 metre fitness, do you do them all on the same night or are they separate sessions to be done on different nights
  • Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    Done on different weeks.  I'd typically do them 2 weeks apart as they are part of a longer term progression.
  • Options
    cheers A, will give them a try
  • Options
    Moraghan, I've been lurking in this thread for a while. I have a question about your 2 * (4*200m) @ 800m w/recovery session. You mention it's to increase lactic tolerance. Is this the same as lactic threshold, or is it about being able to run @ 800m pace while the legs swimming in the stuff?
  • Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Completely different and you've nailed the explanation!  There are only 20 seconds rest between each rep so the idea is to get the body used to managing very high lactate levels.  Last year the total of rep times in the first set was almost identical to my race performance so it's a decent predictor session as well.

• Options

Forgive me for the questions, but I'm interested as to the training breakdown of the 800m. Is it therefore less of a priority to work the LT?

As you're going to be accumulating such high levels of lactate very quickly, is it more advantageous to just become accustomed to the high levels of lactate rather than work the threshold?

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

It's a question of what you can fit in.  There are a wider range of workouts required for 800m racing, therefore at some times in the season LT work becomes de-emphasised.  So, it's just as much of a priority in some phases but not all year round. 

You need to work everything for the 800m but the 'longer distance' systems are usually done in the previous (many) months.  At this point of the season (5 weeks before the competition period) it's just a case of maintaining vo2 max and LT fitness with as little work as possible and focusing your energies on race pace efforts, faster than race pace efforts, race simulation work and lactic tolerance as described above. 

There's not a hope in hell in racing any of an 800m at your LT, although you move through that point briefly.  The LT work you do is there to support the other work you have to do until you reach the stage when you're in good enough shape and close enough to the comp period to do serious race simulation stuff.  So it's a means to an end with 800m training whereas it can be the 'end' with longer distances.

• Options

Moraghan:I've looked up some of my old track sessions for 800m/1500m.

Standard oness of :8-12 x 400m with lap recovery. 4-8 x 800m with lap recovery.

Clock session of: 150m, 300m, 450m, 600m, 600m, 450m,300, 150m. The receovery was the distance we'd runa aprt from teh 600m which had a 400m recovery .

These sessions had a warm up down of 1-1.5 miles of easier running. We also did 4x50m strides in our warm up,getting progressively faster over each 50m.

Hope these are of some help.

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Thanks Birkmyre.  What paces did you do each session at?

• Options

Moraghan: I'll need to check. I'd posted these sessions previously on the 'sub 33 10k thread'.

I also did 10 x 200m increasing up to 20 x 200m and 6 x 300m increasing up to 12 x 300m.

The one I liked best was: 6 x 150m with 250m recovery. That was the last track session before a track race !

I'll have a proper look . Might need to go up the loft for my 1987,88,89 running diarie . So don't hold your breath image 

• Options
    hi birkmyre you say you got to lose weight how much and hows your died going i was 18st 5lb now down to 13st 2lb want to be 11st 7lb regards to the gang.
  • Options

Soulmate: It could be alot better ! I was too unrealistic re weight loss. Howeevr I've readjusted andmy  first 'new weigh i'n is on Tuesday morning !

My oldest son saw a pic of me back in 1988 and geniunely never recognised me as I was so skinny !!

Mind you I was running alot back then.

• Options
    Soulmate: That''s genuinely some serious weight loss by yourself. Take a bow !