1235»

Comments

• Options

Well! How did u get on?

A picture wld be worth a hundred words!

• Options
    Merry Christmas all.
  • Options
    Likewise image. BTW, I'm thinking of a New Year's resolution, inspired by this thread... to wear knickers/briefs for every competitive race I take part in next year. I'll do it, if three others will promise to do the same.
  • Options

I'll be wearing knickers

underneath my shorts image

Happy Boxing Day image

• Options

KNickers

Knickers

Knickers

• Options

Tight fitting clothing is more comfortable to run in.  In addition:

Loosely fitting clothing increases aerodynamic drag by 4.2% - adding about 4 seconds on to a marathon time.  I guess they don't want to be wondering what if when they get beaten by 1 second!

• Options
    Start  Fitness are doing womens briefs for just £4.99.
  • Options
    Thanks, in fact they even have some for £1.99 in the sale here: http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?s=Y97t92688456&strParents=3913,4099&CAT_ID=4129&P_ID=36183.

So girls there's no excuse not to at least give them a try image
  • Options
    Just the thing for a snowy day!
  • Options
    I belived they are called running pants.  A friend of mine at school who went to the running club that her dad was coach at used to wear them and be into athletics.   I accept they don't ride up, but why ?  My flabby thighs slap together when I run so the capri 'shorts' that I wear are both comfortable and flattering.
  • Options
    I guess if your thighs rub together then you need a glide-type product to help with that. With shorts, the part that covers the tops of your thighs can rub one side against the other, plus they're adding wind resistance and more material that can be weighed down with moisture if it rains and is getting in the way of the air wicking perspiration away from your body.

But also, for me at least, one of the attractions of the running pants is to do with looks - only girls and women can wear them, so there's no risk of someone thinking you're male from behind. I've always had a fairly lanky body without much in the way of curves and also have short hair as I hate it bouncing around when I'm running and ever since I was about 12 I've hated the thought of people thinking I was a boy, so I normally wear skirts in everyday life and knickers for competitive running.
  • Options
    Will watch the elite women in Edinburgh to see if they wear briefs. I expect that some will despite the low temperatures.
  • Options

They did wear little tiny briefs - madness!!! image

Why don't the blokes wear them?

• Options
    I've heard they can get groin strain, chafing and hernias if their 'bits' aren't well supported when running. OK, some triathletes wear them but I guess running is only part of what they do, and even then I've heard some get injuries as a result.

Plus, it'd enable us to make comparisons...
  • Options
    This thread has brightened up my lunch break no end.  My neighbours must've been wondering about the little sniggers which kept emerging from my corner!  image  No way I will EVER be able to wear running pants.  I thought I was brave going to shorts!!!  I'd love to be able to wear 'boy' shorts & a crop top, but I haven't plucked up the courage yet.  image  Even though I have finally realised that very few people give a s*** about what I look like, and those who might see fit to comment are not those whose opinion I care about...  Still, obviously I must have some vanity if I secretly long to race in 'briefs'...  image
  • Options
    Why cold aren't they known as Hot Pants!
  • Options
    So far this year I've taken part in three competitive races, and worn my Nike racing briefs for all of them (inspired/emboldened by this thread). Guess what? I've done better times, and placed higher, than in the same events last year.

Has anyone else here been giving them a try, and how has it been going?
  • Options
    I think I'd rather come last!
  • Options
    I think the viewing public would too!!
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I don't care if they made me faster. I think like most the females on here it brings back to many PE lesson memories back. And those memories aren't good.

Despite what those who've tried them say, I would spend more time worrying about them 'disappearing' then I would on the race.

P.s Mine were navy & I think they had go faster stripes down the side.
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Checked out the link for running knickers - starts at size 14 and goes up to size 20! Sorry but a size 20 lady in running knickers - the thought scares me! image

No size 6 or 8 - oh dear what a pity, I'll have to stick to my capris then... shame... not. I don't feel happy unless I'm well covered, even when swimming I'll wear boy shorts.

K8greene, my school PE knickers were navy as well, no go faster stripes though, we didn't need them. image

• Options
    Summers coming, warm weather so no excuse not to strip down to bare essentials.
  • Options
    @ bikermouse, I guess that's why they're reduced - unpopular sizes? Like you I can't imagine much demand for size 20 running knickers. Mine are size 8 and came from Bourne Sports (are plugs allowed?.

@ k8greene, we also had go-faster stripes down ours, which I thought was pretty cool image. Actually at secondary school I had two different styles. With stripes for athletics, XC and PE and without for volleyball.

BTW does anyone know the reason for the switch to shorts in schools and even some unis since the early/mid 90s? When I was at school there was literally *no* sport where the girls wore shorts, now it's everything except netball and there are no sports where they wear knickers. Maybe because people are getting fatter and girls are more self conscious?
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Don't know. We wore skirts at school. Wonder if it's for decencies sake. Stops a lot of the letching from testosterone laden youths (and some of the male teachers). Maybe the schools are getting scared. Ya know?
  • Options

Isn't a bit of letching one of the attractions of sports?

I went to a mixed school and there was always an interest in sports that went beyond keeping the score.