Options

Ultra Race 40

Comments

• Options

yes I think off road shoes

In some email/info somewhere I read that they were doing a recce of the course today so hopefully we will get an update on the conditions underfoot

am doing a tester run tonight to decide if I am in or out, am trying to be positve and have started thinking about packing.  It would be really useful if we could rely on the weather forcast in terms of temp and rain cos at least if I knew it wasnt going to rain I woudlnt need spare things! and if I knew the temp for sure I would know how many layers and what thickness of top to wear!!!

• Options

well hellen re the weather the forecast is good.  I live in leighton buzzard which is approximately 30 miles into the race. see forecast below for saturday. although some light rain forecast tomorrow this shouldnt effect conditions underfoot too much. I have run final 25-30 miles of the course from Milton keynes to Tring as its my local training ground.  The surface between MK and leighton buzzard is mainly hard compact gravel so very runnable and suitable for normal road running shoes. Between Leighton Buzzard and Tring it is a mix of surfaces but mainly grass and compacted mud and trail (again road shoes are fine for this too and i've never had any problems using them). Over this type of distance also I think you need the additional support and protection provided by road shoes that off roaders dont give you.

So unless anyone can tell me that the surface between Northampton and MK on the canal is so muddy that it definitely requires off road shoes I will be running in road shoes.

23 January Forecast
    http://i.uk.imwx.com/global/images/52x52/30.png

Partly Cloudy High 4°C
    Low 1°C
    Chance of Precip.
    20 % Find Local Events
  • Options

Hi

Must admit I've been really toying with using road shoes, but purely because I usually have motion control shoes for overpronation and find that with trail shoes there isn't the supprt and on harder surfaces the lugs under the forefoot start to cause me discomfort. I'm going to take both types with me but realistically if the majority of the route is gravel/hardpack and concrete tow path then purely to save my ankles and comfort over that long distance I will probably go with road. I think comfort over speed. Admittely that is subject to change with Rory's update this evening.

• Options
    yes i agree John. looking forward to the report on the reccie!
  • Options

thanks for the last few posts on the course conditions - thats really useful.  I think there will be some slipping and sliding around on road shoes but it sounds like it is the better option.

I presume the reccie report will be on the race website tomorrow.

• Options

the last few posts made me start wondering if I shoudl wear road shoes. 

I have packed trail shoes but could always nip home at lunch and get my road shoes (am leaving straight from work so am all packed up)  the other thing I couldnt find was my survival blanket which I have obviosuly put in one of those very safe places!!

• Options

Hi All

Regards the course, Below is taken from Rory's latest e mail this morning for those of you at work who can't get your personal e mails which I hope helps.

I shall be taking road and trail just in case we get a real consistant downpour today, but have to say from the basis of comfort and my own personal prefernces I am favouring road.

Good luck everyone for what promises to be a wonderfully exciting and friendly event and here's to a great couple of days for all.

'We hope your training has gone to plan and you are looking forward to the ULTRArace 45/90 event as much as we are! We completed a final recce of the route today and can report that the going is good. There are a small number of muddier spots but by in large the ground is perfect for the race, and with the weather set to stay dry all weekend the conditions are set to be perfect! The route is absolutely stunning you will have a fantastic race.

Just a reminder that your maps, race numbers and technical tshirts will be handed out at registration, where safety pins will be provided. At registration (20:00 - 21:30 the night before and 07:00 - 08:30 on the day) you will need to let us know which start you will be joining (08:00 - early; 09:00 - mass). Please remember that early starters must register BEFORE 07:30 that morning. Furthermore, although we will try our utmost to reach checkpoint 1 in time for the first runner, for those starting early we would advise you to carry an adequate quantity of food and drink for the first 18 miles where the 2nd checkpoint will be located.'

• Options
    Hmmm road shoes or trail shoes; I'm not sure now either...I'll bring both and decide image
  • Options
    OoOoOo lots of decision making today...hmmmm early start or mass start, that is the question..
  • Options
    early for me as I am quite slow and dont want to be doing much in the dark!
  • Options
    I've got a feeling I will probably be on the slowish side; had a bit of an achy lower back - though it plays up mostly when I'm not moving & seems ok when I run.
  • Options
    have sent a text to Jen, she said trail shoes best with the rain today
  • Options

Stuart thanks a lot for your reccie of the course conditions, it's been extremely helpful to me.  Although Jen has said trail shoes because of today's rain, I'm still going with my road shoes as they're v. cushioned and I haven't fully broken in my Kanadias yet. 

John thanks for the email update.

I'm going to try for the 8am start, which means having to drag the family out of their beds at 5am to get there! Helen, if I'm going to be late, I'll text you.

I'm footing the bill for the day's entertainment of hubby and youngster (cinema, bowling, pizza hut, etc.,) while they wait for me. image

Very very excited now. image

• Options

hi Aud, did you sort out with Jen where the CPs were?

I think if I hadnt worn in my trail shoes I woudl also be in road shoes but my trail ones have done a few 30 milers and I am a bit of a girl when it comes to mud so best with trail shoes for that part!

• Options
    I will be arriving this eve so when I register this eve I will tell them that you are planning the 8am start as well.
  • Options

Thanks Hellen, I don't know what their protocol is but perhaps you can "register" for me, which takes the pressure off me (and the family) trying to get there for before 7.30am.  can you text me later tonight and let me know if I'm officially "registered".  thanks for this.  I didn't get round to emailing Jen about the CPs.  they will be marked on the map we are given tomorrow so my o/h can get one, when I've left, and work out where to go.  Depending on when they go to the cinema, he might make CP1 and CP4!  I'll collect my head torch from him at CP4, depending on what time of day it is.

Has anyone noticed that it isn't getting dusk until after 4.45pm now, which is great.  Hellen, we might not be running in darkness as long as we think image 

• Options
    Yes will see if I can register and get your number etc. If you then are late but before 8 u will be fine. If after 8 will find somewhere to hide it!!!

I will arrive at hotel around 7 pm will register once they open around 8 and then text you !

I have been assessing the darkness too. At 5.05 yesterday it was getting dark but it was still possible to see ok, by 5.15 headtorch would be needed off road to see properly so hoping will not need head torch
  • Options
    Ps can u text me ur surname aud!
  • Options

good luck everyone and see you tomorrow. despite the downpour today i'm still going to go with road shoes. they are far too white anyway!

disclaimer: if you wear road shoes and slip in the mud its not my fault image but i will help you up

• Options
    Here are the Photos from Day One of the event which Richard Quennell won in 6hrs 27mins 31seconds...results online  later...what a great day out...for more visit www.ultrarace.co.uk

Rory Coleman™

International & Celebrity Performance Coach

998 Marathons, 244 ULTRA-marathons, 9 Guinness World Records, 14 Marathon des Sables & 23 Years' Alcohol Free

My 1,000th Marathon will be at The Robin Hood Marathon on 24th September 2017

• Options
    An interesting day! V well organised and a great reccie for GUCR. Right from the off my heart rate was 10+ beats higher than I would expect so I am definitely not over my swine flu (xmas/new year) and/or the missed training/general recovery from Mexico took its toil.

I found the day quite hard both physically and mentally. Not as well focussed as I would like at the moment. That was part of the reason I was doing the race. Having said that I came 3rd (and first vet) and could easily have come 6th or 7th if I had not dug deep.

It was probably 70pc off road - I was slipping and sliding a bit with on road shoes. And it was nearly 47miles!

splits 10miles - 1.18
    half mara - 1.43
    20miles - 2.43
    mara - 3.40
    30miles - 4.16
    finish 6.56

I had one bit of inspiration - I was third for quite a long time then slipped 3 places within 4 miles. I was going through a bad patch and thinking never again (etc etc). As I caught up with 5th place- at a canal junction - I asked him if the route I was taking was correct. He said "yes and (I'm) right behind you". I thought a) that was a little presumptous and b) "no you are not" and ran really strongly for the remainder of the race!  If you are a RW forumite - thanks! just what I needed!

GUCR is going to be really really hard!
  • Options

massive well done PP.

I'm probably being a bit thick, but i can't get any results or photos from Rory's link.  What am I doing wrong?

• Options
    at the top of the page it says something about live results!
  • Options

got it now Helen, thanks.

• Options
    well done everyone! a great race and the company on route was first class! cheers
  • Options
    Stuart, you won't know this but our conversation about how far away Pendley Manor was from where we were had me in tears for 2 miles.* Obviously I need to work on my mental strength for ultras and not just leg strength!

*It was lovely to chat with you, otherwise. image
  • Options

massive well done PP.

I'm probably being a bit thick, but i can't get any results or photos from Rory's link.  What am I doing wrong?

• Options
    sorry, no idea how the above post managed to get re-posted 5 hours later image
  • Options
    wow I see first and second seem to have started day 2 from the pics on the side! Looking forward to the results. I need to train more.............
  • Options
    hey Aud i'm so sorry! But u r right in that mental strength has so much 2 do with it. I was saying this to my dad also on route that garmins probably dont help in that situation cos if u werent none the wiser re distance it wouldnt matter so much. For this reason i set my garmin up so it doesnt show total distance.