Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options

Plodding Hippo - hello and thanks for the advice.   I probably won't do any better time though I'd hardly say I 'raced' London, I should have been doing 8.35 miles (as I had been doing in training) but my splits were all over the place - partly due to the congestion and partly because of the massive blisters I had which came on from the third mile.  I was happy with my time of 4.05.48 initially but those 6 minutes are bugging me (I had really wanted to just get inside 4 hours) and other more experienced runners than me have said I should take advantage of being marathon fit.  I realise it's probably madness to do 2 marathons in a fortnight particularly when I'm not used to it but Halstead is literally 10 minutes drive from me so if I got going and decided I couldn't finish it's not such a big deal in terms of getting home etc. 

My husband has booked us an all inclusive hol to Turkey for end of May and I expect after a week of eating, drinking and doing not much else I won't be particularly fit and also I'm useless at running in the heat so I don't want to wait until later in the year to have another crack at it.    Isn't it just like when one week in training I did 22 miles and the next week I did 23 with lots of miles in between which obviously there hasn't been since London?  What do you think?

• Options
    If you feel recovered, WCD, do it. 2 other points: you won't be bothered by crowds here! Secondly, how did you get blisters after 3 miles? - something wrong there that needs to be fixed otherwise the same thing will happen again.
  • Options

SBF - not sure about the blisters, something I didn't suffer with in training even up to 23 miles.  The only think I can think of is that my feet were soaking wet before the run started because of the downpour.  I could feel that I was getting sore little toes from about the third mile but fortunately I didn't take my shoes off until about an hour and half after the finish - if I had I'd have thought my toe was gangrenous and about to drop off - it was completely black with a blood blister which made my little toe 3 times its normal size!

I feel absolutely fine in myself - perhaps a little sluggish with having done nothing at all last week but a few runs this week would freshen me up.  I was aware of my quads whilst running yesterday that's all.  I know it's not a crowded run so that should help - I just don't want to waste all that fitness and have to start again from scratch next time I decide to do a marathon and I definitely think there will be a next time.  I got up at 4 yesterday to enter the ballot for London next year!

• Options
    Better start my taper image after a season best 5k on Saturday and a 10k PB at Breckland on Monday, followed by track intervals last night image
  • Options
    adrian felladrian fell ✭✭✭

At the risk of being shot down in pieces, I'm far from convinced about the benefits of tapering or carb loading.

Perhaps it's just one of those things that works for some people & not for others but it definitely doesn't seem to work for me.

• Options
    I suppose it depends how good your body is at storing glycogen?
  • Options

WCD I'm with you, am thinking that with all this fitness - my last long run being 26.2 in London! - that another marathon would be nice to do.  It's not that far from me either (I live in Chelmsford) and I think it'll be interesting to do a different marathon without all the razmataz & congestion etc. that you get in London.  My legs feel fine, I feel slightly sluggish too but am hoping I can shake that off with adrenaline!  And if I dont get a pb, or even decide to call it a day after 13m then it's still a pleasant run in the country & will give me a feel of going for it next year.

Lets do it!  image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

That fighting talk Elizabeth & WCD.

We are going for it. Shit or bust.

• Options
    adrian felladrian fell ✭✭✭
    Fenland Runner wrote (see)
    I suppose it depends how good your body is at storing glycogen?

It'd be nice to have a proper understanding of this.  How much does one person vary from another.  Exactly for how long does glycogen get stored  (a day, 3 days, a week?)  Does it depend on other factors?  If you store glycogen but don't do any exercise does your body replace that glycogen with "new" glycogen anyway? Is there a difference in the quality of glycogen?  If so what affects it?  Is there an actual hard limit on how much glycogen one person can store? If so what is it?  And so on & so on & so on, tons of questions.

I've read many an article on the subject but not found much that goes into a thorough scientific explanation of questions like the above.  I'm not a running (or glycogen!) expert but I know from the stuff I do know a lot more about (weight-training, karate) that a huge amount of what's written or even what's commonly accepted as fact can actually be inaccurate, misleading or just plain wrong.  It'd be nice to learn this stuff properly so I can make a more informed decision on how to prepare etc.

• Options

Hi all, I'm doing this marathon on Sunday and I too ran VLM. image

No ambitions of beating my london time (4:16)....esp given the hills... just want to take part as it's local to me. Did an 8 miler last Sunday but not run since because legs felt quite stiff after, despite no aches or anything after VLM, so am totally resting this week.

See you Sunday - good luck!

• Options
    Elizabeth Irvine 2, Tracey G & Charlie Farley - help!.  I've lost my confidence since I was last on here.  Last night went home from work late, didn't get out for the run I'd planned and ate my way through a pack of biscuits feeling fed up and thinking I can't run 26.2 miles on Sunday.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    WCD - rest is good, plust biscuits are called carbo loading. I am fighting a small cold. We can do image
  • Options

Worry not - biscuits are part of my daily diet, and yes sometimes a whole packet in one sitting so you are not alone! It'll be fine!! I got a terrible cold 4 days before VLM, I took Beechams cold n flu, drank berocca and put maunka honey on my toast, on the saturday I almost deferred as was so ill, but Sunday the adrenaline kicked in and I got round fine. Positive thinking!image

• Options
    Cheers guys.  Plus I forgot to mention there's the small matter of me not having broached the subject with my husband who is (for once) not working on Sunday and wants us all to go to a country fair in Bury for the day!
  • Options
    WCD - good luck with that! We don't have kids and my Hubby already moans about spectating duties which apparently take over his life image
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    WCD - tell hubby he join my hubby, kids near the Fetch Point. There should be a good amphosive going on.
  • Options

I went round the Great Limerick Run in 4:52 last Sunday ( 3 minutes quicker than Brighton and I also had to walk nearly a couple of miles behind people dragging children and pushing buggies who were at the back of the 10Km walk. There was no place to overtake unless you wanted to battle with the traffic that was the other side of the cones!  That must have cost me a good ten minutes. It cost me £60 to enter.  When you encounter events like that it makes you much more appreciative of the wonderful job Halstead Road Runners do with their marathon.) 

I tried not drinking alcohol the night before Limerick but it didn't work so I have been wining this week to make up for lost time. Biscuits I have eaten by the packet and umpteen bars of chocolate have also figured on the menu!  I had a Chinese meal last night and we have an Indian meal booked for Friday night with friends so I should be in peak form for Sunday!  My biggest concern has beeen that I might not get back in time for Halstead when flights were grounded as a result of  volcanic ash. Hopefully I shall now be toeing the line with the rest of you for my sixteenth Halstead.

Sorry I can't help Adrian with his query on glycogen. I've never taken the stuff. Do you think it might help me?

• Options
    This'll be my first marathon.
    Still getting physio for my back, so could do without the 3 hours in the car.
    Had every niggle possible in the last week, but am I right in thinking I'm not alone in this...?
    imageimage

25% terrified but 75% can't wait for it.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

OG - you will be fine as you are doing it with us lot of nutters.

Peter - You will be doing a faster time at Halstead this year then image

• Options

Not too sure about fast time Tracey. My old bones are tired. I'm not used to all this running these days. It's a matter of the older I get the faster I used to be! 

Nobody has mentioned the oil seed rape this year. It is in profusion. Better take your inhalers those who use them! 

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Old Grunter wrote (see)
    This'll be my first marathon. Still getting physio for my back, so could do without the 3 hours in the car. Had every niggle possible in the last week, but am I right in thinking I'm not alone in this...? imageimage 25% terrified but 75% can't wait for it.
    yes I have had every niggle going too and just to top it off I've been up most of the night with a fever so am off work! I'm hoping for a miraculous recovery so that I can still make it to the start line. Think there's something out there trying to make me miss this race image
  • Options

"Long-distance athletes such as marathon runners often go into glycogen debt, where almost all of the athlete's glycogen stores are depleted after long periods of exertion without enough energy consumption. This phenomenon is referred to as "Hitting the Wall". In marathon runners, it normally happens around the 20-mile (32 km) point of a marathon, depending on the size of the runner and the race course. However, it can be delayed by a carb loading before the task.

When experiencing glycogen debt, athletes often experience extreme fatigue to the point that it is difficult to move."

Quote from Wiki...

Basically the general consensus is to taper plus carb load so that the glycogen stores are full prior to the event.

However it has also been suggested that by going long, the body gets more economic in using glycogen so that the Wall is pushed beyond 26 miles.

So all you who have recently completed a marathon and have rested and eat well will be in a good position.imageimage

• Options
    WCD et al, I'm scared too!  Keep having second thoughts, then I come on here & go all positive again.  Still cant believe I'm going to run another 26.2m, dont feel like I could run 5m at the moment!  Positive thoughts everyone!!! image
  • Options
    Still gotta convince my husband!   And guess what, my brother is now coming up for a visit Saturday to Sunday and my sister too!  The one weekend I would have liked to have spent on my own...... how's that for timing.  I was hoping I could have just got up on Sunday morning, disappeared off, had a go at Halstead and then come home victorious without anyone noticing because they are usually all doing their own thing.
  • Options

Trace please dont say "shit or bust " to me

you know what my guts are like

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Hippo - your guts better be good as I have brought you a green can of something nice image
  • Options
    liz - of course u will manage it!!! we are chelmsford ladies and we dont ever give up!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Is there anyone on here travelling from London  with room in their car for an extra passenger? I'm happy to share petrol costs.  Having checked timetables I can get an early train as far as Chelmsford but it looks like a cab after that as the Braintree connection (which would still involve a cab journey) would be liable to make me late.

Alternatively is anyone else getting the train from London and willing to share a cab?

Weather is looking grimmer by the day  and I still haven't forgotten the er.. scent of the fields from last year so cheers for the warning Pete.