Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options

Thanks Tracey. You're so kind. If only I shared your optimism. I now take nearly two hours longer to get round Halstead than when I first ran the course. At this rate it just seems I'll soon be running out of daylight hours. But I do continue to enjoy it!

• Options

YIPPEE. Post has just arrived and I have my Halstead  number (Number1). Race Info and Instructions were also in the envelope but I couldn't fathom the two A4 blank pages!!!

See you all there.

• Options
    I have my number tooimage Really excited now. No blank pages for me!
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - I will be keeping you company at the back again this year. No number yet, but not had our post.
  • Options

I'm really looking forward to this one!

Long range forecast for Sunday is cool. I hope that doesn't change.

how long is the longest hill?

Mark 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    The nice postman has brought my number.
  • Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    yep I have mine now too! Think I'm going to be another slow one here, knee injury has messed up my training, just hoping it's going to behave itself on the day so i can make it over the line!
  • Options

Whoop di whoop whoop! Have my number.image

I notice in the past people have put their own drinks on the water stations, is it possible to do that this year? Would I be able to leave gels at them this way?  Dosen't really matter, as I've got a bum bag and also my wife will be watching and so she could keep them for me but was just wondering.

Good luck everyone.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    che canary - yes you can still put your own drinks out at the water stations. All the details are in the race pack instructions.
  • Options
    Oops... Sorry. Obviously too lazy to read it properly.  Not a great start! image
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    And you cannot wear an MP3/ipod for this race as well.
  • Options
    Got my number!
    Legs are almost recovered from London now, Going to test them on a gentle jog later to flush out that lactic acid.
    Realy looking forward to the 9th!

• Options
    Sorry, ment to add

Stet #467
  • Options

got my number today 8 never had a single figure number before ,names on them is a nice touch cautiously hoping for 3hrs 30 if i can avoid the usual too quick start and crash at mile 22 image

does anyone know if there are height restrictions on the car park ?

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Ruzz - I have kept my number from last year because of having my name on it.
  • Options

Anyone else hate the health & safety gone mad trend towards banning mp3 players everywhere?

It's entirely possible to have an mp3 playing at a volume low enough that you can hear everything going on around you.  I, along with millions of other runners, do it every week on public roads.

Banning MP3s doesn't make races safer, just makes them tougher & less enjoyable.  We're all adults. Whatever happened to common sense..

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    adrian - no MP3 is something we all have to get use to in races from now on.
  • Options
    Totally agree, Adrian.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Got my number too (12). Looking forward to the run.
  • Options

WHAT'S THE CONSEQUENCE FOR WEARING AN MP3 PLAYER, OR IS IT JUST ADVISIBLE NOT TO WEAR ONE.?

• Options
    If the marshalls are being strict then you could be disqualified.  
  • Options
    I've left my ipod at home for my last couple of long runs actually found i quite enjoyed it .and it was easier to keep an even pace without the drum and baseimage oh and tracey i think i must be more than a bit sad i keep all my race numbersimage
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Ruzz - you are not sad. We have enough stuff in our house with out adding race numbers too.
  • Options
    I am another 'saddo'. I have all my marathon race numbers except the one I wore the day I got my p.b. That would be a collector's item now as it was so long ago. I think it was on papyrus paper!!!!  I also lack numbers from a couple of French races I did. Despite endless pleading in my best French the folk across the Channel just wouldn't let me keep the numbers they said they needed  to verify results. I was distraught watching them spike the numbers. Maybe now that chip timing has been discovered the French are a bit more tolerant in letting you keep your race number? But the Halstead numbers are a bit special, designed to retain as a memento of a(hopefully) special day.
  • Options
    Tracey G wrote (see)
    adrian - no MP3 is something we all have to get use to in races from now on.

But why...?     Unquestioning acceptance of bad ideas is a bad idea (!)

I'm not aware that deaf people are banned from entering races in which mp3 players are banned so where's the logic?

Or what about people who aren't fully deaf but are very hard of hearing?  I can tell you for a fact that I can hear far more of what's going on around me whilst wearing an MP3 player at low volume, than some folk I know (including runners) are able to hear naturally.

It may not be the organisers fault (I don't know whether it's an insurance requirement).  Either way it's unnecessary nannying of grown adults. 

• Options

Got my number yesterday love that fact is has my name on it.

Don't think it is sad keeping race numbers, I have all of mine. Friend of mine has them all as well. However, they are sad. They keep them in plastic wallets with a piece of paper with all the details (date, time, weather condition, how it went, etc) filed in date order.

Adrian - MP3 players are banned for a couple of reasons. Firstly, health and safety so you can hear marshalls, traffic (especially we the roads are not closed), other runners (had to push past people in the past because they can not hear me asking to be let through), get yourself or others tangled in the cables, etc.

Secondly, some people use them for pacing and have a click track or music at a set BPM and some consider this as cheating (a UKA rep told me this).

I ran Brighton a couple of weeks ago and this had an MP3 ban. Loads of people still wearing them and not aware of anyone being disqualified. Maybe health and safety overload. However, rules are rules so if you choice to wear one and get disqualified you can't really complain.

• Options
    Just in case it's not already been put up, the Kings Head pub at Pebmarsh between mile 4 and 5 is closed, and is very unlikely to be open on the day of the race.  Anyone hopeing to eat or drink there would be best advised to make other arrangements.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    JG2 - so the BIG support aread is now gone image
  • Options
    I wonder if there's much hope of a coolish day.   May can be a scorcher usually, but the long-range weather forecast is encouragingly bad just now.   Long range weather forecasts ain't that reliable tho', although a forecast of poor weather is possibly more reliable than a forecast heatwave....
  • Options
    T-G spectators could still gather there, they just won't be half cut, unless they bring their own.