Options

Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Comments

• Options

Right, I'm off to the gym now.  Keeping my eyes glued to the e-mail is just too sad.  Good luck, everyone and have a great weekend.

• Options
    Shout if you are in and we shall support youimage... if you are willing to share the tips
  • Options
    Exciting times image
  • Options

It is very interesting to compare the performances of men and women in the GFA age groups, and to see the far higher proportions of women gaining a GFA time compared to men:

1820 M50 males, the fastest time 2:32, 43 mins faster than GFA, 7.25% of runners achieved a GFA
    669 F50 females, the fastest time 2:53, 67 mins faster than GFA, 13.7% of runners achieved a GFA

959 M55 males, the fastest time 2:49, 26 mins faster than GFA,  4% of runners achieved a GFA
    317 F55 females, the fastest time 3:11, 64 mins faster than GFA,  21.1% of runners achieved a GFA

549 M60 males, the fastest time 2:55, 35 minutes faster than GFA, 6% of runners achieved a GFA
    146 F60 females, the fastest time 3:14, 76 mins faster than GFA,  24.5% of runners achieved a GFA

• Options
    Hilly,

I completely agree!!
    I've just ran my first marathon and in last 5 years have had 4 kids, 4 sections and a broken leg, I did the marathon in Dublin having only started running in june in 3hr48mins, I worked incredibly hard for the entire race and the result is: people just say it must be in my genetics....nothing to do with hard work, grit and determination!!!
    Well done you for beating the smoking and gaining a husband!!! image
  • Options

Julieflies,

For the record - well done for your hard work, grit and determination image

• Options

Dundee, agree that as you head through those 50s the task gets tougher.  I didn't do my first marathon till I was 53 so the dice have already rolled for me, but good luck with it.  I won't give up on it but somehow think that now my best chance could be when I hit 60, then it will only be 3.30!! 

I have had to go offline for the last couple of hours to attend a meeting and hardly thought about a super 6 place, very interesting stuff about IVR systems!  But as soon as I got back to the desk just had to look again.  Yep nothing.  I think its telling me I'm not actually up to this, a desk job I mean, it makes me too anxious!

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Julieflies - that's good.  My first was 3:36 and my fastest 2:56, so keep up the good work and who knows how much you'll improveimage

Dundee Runner - I think it's definitely hard to gain a GFA for a man 50+.  It's also easier for a woman than a man to gain the time. 

Also, I think for the wowen the half marathon qualifying time of sub 90 mins for the Championship start is easier to achieve than the full marathon qualifying time of 3:15.  However, the men's half marathon time of 75 mins is harder to achieve than the 2:45 marathon.   The women's is quite 'soft' really in comparison, but I guess it's to encourage more women into competitive running.

• Options

I doubt I'll get a GFA, I only need to knock off an hour, or 2:30/mileimage, or if I can keep up the same speed for the next 14 years I only need to knock 45 minutes off my Mara PB - easyimage

• Options
    Hilly I suspect you are right about encouraging women to enter.  As you can see from the numbers there are far more men in each group running than women, so the percentages achieving the GFA creates much smaller numbers of women than men who are qualifying.  I suspect that they want to control the numbers getting a GFA so they can get as many in via the ballot as possible.
  • Options

Ruuuuubbbbbiiiiishhhhhh. The phone never rang.

• Options
    I think we can now all safely say none of us are the lucky siximage
  • Options

All I want is to get a place in the VLM to keep my run of 11 consecutive Londons going.

• Options
    POOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............................image~
  • Options
    At least the same schedules are available for all image
  • Options

It does appear that we're not among the chosen ones image

But on the plus side for me I have longer to prepare before taking the giant step towards a marathon.....

Might well be back looking for some advise on how to start.... I really want to learn how to improve my speed but maybe that will come with some consistant training.

So I need a race to focus on.... And a schudule or two to download and maybe I'll write a Christmas list to Father Christmas.

• Options
    Runningsnail, thx for comment!
    Hilly my word that's fast!! Have lots of training to do to reach that level!!
  • Options

at least we can now relax and look forward to the voting.......

I will be running Llanelli marathon the week before so will hopefully be able to follow the schedule of the 4:30 candidateimage.I will break the 4:30 next year even without the great support packageimage

• Options
    yes, lets hope someone from here made it...
  • Options
    I guess the chances weren't great but i really thought I'd get shortlisted, bugger !
  • Options

I thought you & I were in with a good chance last year too Andy, never mind.

Will be interesting to see who pops up to vote for, and at least I can relax now and enjoy tonights pizza image

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Veterans.. don't be too downbeat.  I ran my first mara in 1994 age 36 in 3:42.  8 years later I achieved a GFA at London with 3:12.  I've now done 9 GFA times in a row (sadly no sub 3!) with a best time of 3:03 aged 50.

IMHO the best policy regarding age, within reason' is to ignore it.  I achieved all of the above with sacrifice, determination and good old fashioned hard training and improved as I got older.  Just like BR & Hilly actually.  That Andy Sly ain't no carthorse either! 

Well done to KK on that GFA time too, give it hell young lady.  

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    wise words Wardi
  • Options
    andy sly wrote (see)
    I guess the chances weren't great but i really thought I'd get shortlisted, bugger !

Not you again Andy?image

It was criminal you didn't get picked last time, never mind this year!

I hope they choose a worthy speed demon if they're not having you honey.

• Options

Not me then.......

Can anyone suggest a good spring marathon in the midlands to do as a first attempt?

Something with enough runners so that I won't get lonely on the way round?

• Options

Stratford, TNH.

Same day as London so you can pretend its not happening.image

• Options

24 weeks to train then. image

Next challenge sorted.  Wonder if I can talk any of my mates into joining me........ Got a feeling I'm gonna be doing it on my own.

Is the 6hr cut off a 'most people will get round' time?

• Options
    No, thats just when the tide comes back in, so if you're not out of the estuary by then, you're f*****d!....image...i'm going to do that one next year tooo TNH, the course is spectacular.~
  • Options

I only know one person who hasn't made it.

The cut off for the half way point is 11.84 miles and 2.25.00. I've never gone that slow in a training run, never mind a race!

The point is that this is NOT a walking course and as it is filled very quickly with FLM rejects they seem to want to discourage people from booking on a whim. Believe me - I had no difficulty making the cutoff and I'm not terribly fast.