me or them or them and you

yakety yak -dont talk back

I gotta message for our Bruce

Now you just listen to old hoose

get all them runners on your site

or you'll have no peace 'til Friday nite

• Options

lol  imageimage love that version Hoose!

I've emailed RW asking for their support, will see what they come back with......

• Options

the blackpool - gretna route has been updated please all check it out

http://www.coastersgb.co.uk/routepage.php?sid=1

• Options

ta K4Timage

image Nice 1 SJ

• Options

what does this mean then:

Anyone suing would go after the negligent individual who caused the damage AND anyone who could be identified as' organising' the event.

• Options

we are all part of the organization of the event. To me, it is based on a "typical" event and this isnt one. It is unlikely that any of our runners will cause an accident to a third party anymore than they would in a training run. Anyone who does not want to risk(lol) being seen as an organiser -dont organise! Damned hard though, because in effect we are all orgnizing our bit. Un-neceesary (I feel it is though  ATM has a genuine anxiety) anxiety that has been jumped on here by someone who wants to whip it up.

Runners take responsibility for their running and bits. If not dont do it or get your own cover. If we dont get enough willing runners , then no event. That is how I feel about it.

• Options

I think this insurance lark is a lot of fuss about nothing.  This is not an 'event'.  There is no entry fee or requirement for entry, it is purely voluntary.  With a few exceptions of the ultra runners, most people will be running relatively short distances, probably alone, and at any one point in time it would not appear to be any different to any other run that takes place by tens of thousands of runners every day.

Please give a specific example of a 'risk' that you are worried about..? 

What is the difference between this and a few friends who decide to go out for a run together..?  You wouldn't ever give a second thought to the need for insurance.

Unless you can come up with a valid and unarguable case for warranting insurance then it sounds like a subject that needs no further discussion.

• Options
    Agree totally Albert - some do have genuine anxiety, I know. Others have some other agenda that is only clear to their mind, unfortunately.
  • Options

Hey everyone, sorry i havnt been in touch to help out but i've been away from uni and havnt had access to the internet.

Went to Wales to do my dissertation research and managed to get a few early morning runs in before the other people i went with bothered to even get out of bed image

The Straight from there i traveled home to see my family who took me to my certain death, Tough Guy 2010! Took part in that and despite going through the most mentally and physically demanding thing ive ever done and finishing with hypothermia, I had an amazing time! image

I'm back now though and i'm pretty sure i have no chance of catching up on this thread properly unless i read the 19 new pages (you guys have been busy!) but if theres anything major i need to know then could someone please fill me in, bulletpoints will do.

Hoose, my mate came up with a few ideas for a logo but as i was away from uni he never got around to finalising them, but i see you made a vote on them anyway,which is understandable as i couldnt be contacted. Last i saw Vicki's was winning?

Hope everyones ok !

• Options
    Been through it Boyddie it seemsimage Well done for finishing tough guy though.  Hope your dissertation work was OK. Both my degree and masters dissertations took it out of me , though I enjoyed my degree one where  I was a "participant obsever" in a youth gangimage Got in trouble and drank and "stuff"-lol
  • Options
    i have no agenda and I'm not trying to whip anything up thank you very much Hoose. as soon some organising s stretch of this event of course things like insurance are going to come to mind. I wasn't the first person to bring it up also id like to  point it out my interest in insurance began with the idea of involving charities and someone mentioned we needed insurance for that, so id thank you not to point any fingers at me.  It was only after others mentioned we might need insurance any way that became concerned. Now are some doubt in the mind of those that raised it with me, so i am still in two minds. I just want some offical comfirmation one way or the over. No agenda i want this event to happen and ive worked hard trying to get my stretch sorted out.
  • Options

SJ - I would PM you if I could -you PM me for an explanation OK

• Options
    done - just remember im for this event i want it to happen ive been involved since the early days, i think we can do it
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Evening, all.Referring to my earlier post...

The bottom line for me is that I don't  know whether the event should have its own insurance. And that's what bothers me. 

• Options
    yes SJ -you and ATM have been here from the start and have contributed positivelyimage
  • Options

hoose

we can doing it    decided to join the Blackpool bit    love running blackpool   and doing my 4th mararthon there in April

doing catforth half tommorrow   then drive down to blackpool and run 1 lap of the GNW half   as i have spen 20  and need to be ready for it

• Options
    nice to have you on board HNimage
  • Options

Screw insurance, lets do it the Tough Guy way image

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs157.snc3/18437_450656580656_549565656_11009109_4772707_n.jpg

Change the name to Coasters GB, make everyone sign it and jobs a gooden image

• Options

ATM

as you know, my view is similar to Albert Hall's above but I accept your concern over whether the event should be insured. One or two here share you anxiety. As it is a new and very different venture, certain grey areas seem to arise. To me If we state it is up to individuals to sort out whatever insurance they want and that they are responsible for ensuring a safe route, as an organisation we are safe.

• Options

lol Boyddie-that is my approachimage

though some disagree which is actually good. We can prove that coasters can resolve stuff togetherimage That is what I want.

• Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

OK - I have re-worded itimage

just keep on finishing that stretch

I know the effort makes you retch

and when you finished doing that

pick your leg and make it flat

Dont give me your f*ing cheek

I know that stretch will take a week

it is filling as I speak

so further promo you must seek

that insurance drives me  nuts

too many arrrs and ifs and buts

who do you think they'll sue

me or them or them and you

I gotta message for our Bruce

Now you just listen to old hoose

get all them runners on your site

or you'll have no peace 'til Friday nite

• Options

I don't take out insurance when I run from home to the club or when I go around the park on my own or with friends.  Neither do I take out insurance when I do my run along the side of the A1.  If I were to be involved in an accident - if I were negligent then I might be sued, but only if I was negligent.  But if I'm truly negligent, then why should I not expect to be held responsible?  Equally, if you have an accident in an "Event" you can't sue the organisers unless they are demonstrably negligent about the arrangements or handling.

This excursion around the coast is not a collective event in the conventional sense, it is a (long) string of potential friends meeting up and passing Barry between them (although sometimes Barry may well be temporarily abandoned at an agreed point to be collected rather than handed over face to face).  What the dickens is the difference between my lonely run along the A1 or around the park and adjoining streets with friends to this?  Hoose has said till he is sick of it (or I am sick of reading it) that if anyone feels that they need to take out liability insurance, then so be it.  There is no harm in that, but for many and most certainly me, I will be choosing my route that I will run between two points that I agree with two people (the person I collect from and the person I hand to) and I do not see any need for me making any different arrangement for that.

For pity sake, arrange insurance if you want it and don't if you don't want to.  If you cannot work out what type of participation you want, you need to question if you can work out your own route and decide if it is acceptably safe?  (Note I said acceptably safe not perfectly safe.)  There is no one else, not Hoose, the Section Co-Ordinator nor anyone else can make that decision for you.  There is no flame wars here.  Just a request that you decide how you want to manage your own part of the route.  No one else decides that for you and accepts responsibility for your decisions.

• Options
    hoose   when we have run to Fleetwood   as I am leaving car at Blackpool   will run all the way back
  • Options

JM -I have told them that.

Offord I am with you on it. I would be poor leader though if I did not take heed of what others are saying.

I planned to do the first 5 miles of this HN and the last 5 miles and 8 in between-I will have to see if I will do the full 9 at the start (training dependent)image

• Options
    I think Offord is spot on.

I understand, Hoosie, that you want to take on board other people's concerns, but there comes a point where one can't just keep rehashing the same conversation, people have to accept that there is a final word on a subject, and you've given it.

So, in summary - if you are worried about needing insurance, organise your own. This is not an event as such and will not be insured. If you're not happy to either organise your own insurance or run uninsured (which I will be doing, as I see absolutely no need for insurance otherwise I'd insure myself every time I go out for a run), don't take part.
  • Options
    you are absolutely right sho. I have said what the score is and it is all I can say. If people want to insure themselves, that is fineimage
  • Options

who's doin' the news?

logo is done now -some updating needed.

• Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

anyway watching Blakey on ITV1 now