Options

'Round The Coast Of Great Britain Run

Comments

• Options

As this insurance malarkey keeps raising it's head, how about putting a statement on the website, perhaps under the FAQ's advising on the decision and why it's been made? Then just direct anyone who asks about it straight there!

• Options
    If somone (HooseRockhopperRunaholic???) can knock up some appropriate text I shall most definately put it on the FAQ's section.
  • Options

Just read about BikerMouse leaving.  image A bit of a void to fill BM?

• Options

Hi Rusty-I think BM is still with usas she is mapping and stuffimageimage

I will do something Bruce and PM you with it.

• Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

OK - here I go again!

Blackpool-Gretna have produced an excellent flyer for the event. I now want those involved in The 1st few stretches to do the same. Either contact Blackpool -Gretna about an adaptation of theirs or "create your own". This is the stage (-having said god knows how many times) where "all" could help in promotion for these first few legs, if not in the planning. I have made some contacts but numerous other contacts via e mail, or on  "other" running sites , organisations and radio stations will give event more visibility. THIS IS THE TIME TO REALLY GET NOTICED IF YOU ALL WANT THIS TO HAPPEN. Start thinking beyond your bit please!!

If each did a little bit we will cover a lot of ground.

THANKS

X

• Options

imageSorry...sorry...I haven't been very productive with the summary I promised..

As Hoose has done a write-up I'll send mine to Bruce tomorrow with an update.

• Options

please put my last post on website too runnaholicimage I cant emphasize enough the importance of collective action in promo at this time, especially targeting Scotland.

still nothing on jogging buddy though Tony said he was happy with what I wroteimage

• Options

Will do, Hoose - why don't you email Tony and ask? I know that he's only got one techy guy doing the website so there may be a delay.

• Options

I did runnaholic -a week or so ago. I will do it again next weekend if nothing shows upimage

could you spread the word on any all women runners forums if there are any? I make a lousy woman.image

• Options

KK - in no particular order (OK Hoose first, then rest in alpha order - I'm a detail person!)

I would like a few volunteers to form a coasters committee (6 will do)
    Hoose
    Bruce
    K4T
    Wrinkly

No idea what I've signed up for, but I really want the run to go ahead, so will help where I can.  A couple of others have asked what it involves but I think it'll depend on what does and doesn't happen over the next couple of weeks.

• Options
    Hoose I'm sure you'd make a better woman than me.... image  at least you're good at multi-tasking and organising everyone else - you sure you're not a woman?
  • Options
    Wrinkly Smurf wrote (see)
    Hoose I'm sure you'd make a better woman than me.... image  at least you're good at multi-tasking and organising everyone else - you sure you're not a woman?
    last time I looked I wasn't but did look nice in ex wifes nighty when we first marriedimage
  • Options
    Just plugged the coastal relay to one Scotland based runner in joggingbuddy.com and inviting other Scottish runners to check out our website.image
  • Options
    cheers runnaholicimage
  • Options
    K4T wrote (see)

As this insurance malarkey keeps raising it's head, how about putting a statement on the website, perhaps under the FAQ's advising on the decision and why it's been made? Then just direct anyone who asks about it straight there!

done K4Timage
  • Options

I would like a few volunteers to form a coasters committee (6-8 will do)
    Hoose
    Bruce
    K4T
    Wrinkly

• Options

KK - what did you find out on the public liability front?  I won't ignore you - I've got to give you Barry for a start.

• Options
    please look at statement on the website WS . Our position is clear and runners can sort out there own insurance if they wish.
  • Options
    Just want to stick my head above the parapet and say I have a few concerns ( like KittenKat and others). We need to recognise the risk of this turning into an event and some or all or us being liable in some way for one idiots foolishness.

I’m not a lawyer nor have I played one on TV, but I don’t think insurance is necessarily the way forward. My ignorant opinion is that to manage this risk we need to

• Look into the “Death Warrant Approach”, but most events seem to want these physically signed and collected on the day which could be awkward.
    • Tell people about the extra risks of coastal running above those of road running.
    • Be careful how we recruit runners.
    • Plan for what happens when someone doesn’t show up at the start or more importantly at the finish.
  • Options

Two Buffs- we have made it clear on the website that as individual runners plan their own route and are responsible for their own safety and safety of others whilst they run their bit, coasters as an organisation are not responsible for any injury to themselves or to others. We put this on our website. We also try to ensure that runners stay as close to the coast as "safely" possible. Anyone signing up to doing a bit agrees to these terms.

I am just bored with this question., If it needs to be raised further may I suggest it at committee level.

once we get a private space for us committee members to chat on this if need be, it will be better. Any webby peop know how to set such a thing up? 

• Options

Hoose - for what it's worth I'm treating it as a training run, I don't want to have to go down the route of insurance.  Back about a million pages (well maybe a few less) when a poster asked what about kids my view was (and still is) if someone wants to take their kids along then they are the ones taking the risk and they decide if their kids are sensible enough to run along the coast.

In my view it's not an event and never will be, it's an occasion to celebrate being totally barking and free of normal constraints.  If I fall off a cliff while running along the coast then it's my own silly fault for being there.  If I fall of a cliff and land on someone then it's their fault for being underneath an obviously unstabe cliff.  If while running along on my own I cause a stampede among walkers and they all jump off a cliff to get away from a nutter in lycra carrying a big wooden stick - then tough! 

On the day my better half will know where I'm likely to be and when, if I don't turn up she knows I'm well insured (she may have pushed me - can someone watch her while I'm running?) and she will know the route I would have been taking so they'll know where to look for Barry (and me if I'm lucky).

I'll go and check the webpage/FAQs now.  I'm still going to do the run when Barry gets to me, whatever else happens.

• Options
    that is how I and coasters are generally looking at it WS . That is how this venture was envisaged and how we as a whole want to keep itimage
  • Options

anyway -this should be our main focus now please.image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

OK - here I go again!

Blackpool-Gretna have produced an excellent flyer for the event. I now want those involved in The 1st few stretches to do the same. Either contact Blackpool -Gretna about an adaptation of theirs or "create your own". This is the stage (-having said god knows how many times) where "all" could help in promotion for these first few legs, if not in the planning. I have made some contacts but numerous other contacts via e mail, or on  "other" running sites , organisations and radio stations will give event more visibility. THIS IS THE TIME TO REALLY GET NOTICED IF YOU ALL WANT THIS TO HAPPEN. Start thinking beyond your bit please!!

If each did a little bit we will cover a lot of ground.

THANKS

X

• Options

could we all agree that the first 6 legs are the one's to target promotion on until April ? (That does not mean however that other people cannot enlist for other legs)

Our promo can then be staggered eg after April, the next 6 legs, after May the following six legs etc.

• Options

Hoose - I don't know anyone that far north, but why not put the flyer on the main webpage, and when any of us target the areas that need help we can use the flyer and logo.

For the logo weren't we having the 'tidy t' version? The Coasters website has the older version - sorry call me mr picky today. 

Off to find email addresses of anyone in Scotland I can hassle.image