Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options

Wow - you thats a good session Tony- very speedy!

My session was on a hilly course but no snow! I did my session

1 mile-8.06, 2 mile- 8.06, 3 mile 7.34, 4 mile 7.00, 5mile 7.19, 6 mile 7.50, 7th mile 7.57, 8 th mile 7.30, 9th mile 8.20, 10th mile 8.25, 11th mile 8.06

So according to RW I was jogging the first 2 miles and last 2 miles as planned and the efforts were 'steady'!!  Yep I need to be quicker!  AM sure that will come though...hmmmm

Yeay!  I am in the process of transfering the data to my computer!image all systems go

• Options

wierd question but when you quote I have done X number of miles this week...do you go by Sunday-saturday or monday-sunday?!

I go monday-sunday but the computer works out weekly totals Sunday- Saturday.  I know it doesnt matter but i was curious?!

• Options

JBFAR I start on a Monday. What software are you using?

I use SportTracksI find it has more options and easier to use than Garmin Training Centre.

Thats a very strong session you ran today, did you run on your own?

• Options

TS, that's a good session, what time are you going for out of curiosity. If you say 2.59 I may cry.

7m for me today at 7.12. Snow? What's snow? All gone here.

• Options

Hi Scruff - did you do Abingdon this year? I'm sure I remember you on the Abingdon thread.

Good steady 7 miles there, well done. I am hoping to get close-ish to 2:50 this year, but will be happy with anything under 2:54. What about you?

• Options
    Yes I was at Abo LAST year (doesn't time fly!) Just checked out the site actually & I see there's a provisional date of 17 Oct subject to a marshall coordinator post being filled. Entries opening end of Jan. I will enter it but it isn't my intention to run it because I WILL get 2.59.59 at London.
  • Options
    JBFAR - did you get the HR splits from that effort?  It would be interesting to see if the HR splits match the pacing splits.  Did you include the jog recoveries in some of the mile splits?
  • Options
    I used the garmin training centre it seems to go Sunday-Saturday but maybe I can change that? I'll have a look at sports tracks as well.

Yep tony, I did the session on my own as wasn't sure if club was on due to ice on roads, like scruffmeister I'm pleased you are aiming for lower than 2.59 with the pace you are at!

Br- no I dont wear a hr monitor. I am going to try it out, but as you may have guessed I'm trying to figure the garmin gadgets out at the moment. Im going to wear it on Sundays lsr to see how it goes
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Woohoo snow has finally gone ready for the weekend! Didn't run outside today even though it was finally thawing.

Did some intervals on the treadmill this morning, 15 min warm up  then 8x 2 mins at 17.5kph with 2 min rests at about 10kph. Not hardcore stuff but managed it well and I';m defo getting better. Then ran 15 mins after. Some good core work too.

Did a tough spin class at the gym this evening and I'm ready for a day of rest tomorrow, worked hard this week. Looking forward to hit the road again sunday though and starting with London Heathside running club as of tuesday evening image

It's interesting how people record their info/effort levels. I don't have a Garmin I just have a Polar RS200 for pacing on runs and HR. I log what I do everyday though if anything just as a reminder of effort levels/progression.

• Options

Good session JBFAR - especially on your ownimage I did the same session this evening, also on an hilly course, with care over the icy patches. I was running with Swifty, so got dragged along at around 6.25- 6.30 minute pace  - felt hard though!!

I've ran a lot harder than intended this week, so plan to have an easy run and swim tomorrow. May run one of the Park Runs on Saturday - our local one is a Cliff Run - so can't imagine that will be fast, but would be character building I'm sureimage

RSalter - I use the garmin. or have specific measured loops for my key sessions, the rest of the time I just note time I have run.

• Options
    Brilliant nifty! Nice one! Wish I had a swifty to drag me along ;0)
  • Options

Like you need anyone to drag you along!  I've seen you run, your legs don't go backwards and forward like normal mortals, it's more of a spinning motion like the road-runner.  Meep meepimage

Have you tried the online garmin software rather than the pc based training centre?  I really like it it puts a map up there automatically and has a player thing so you can sit there watching yourself virtually run.  Although it does also show the virtual stops in the shrubbery.......

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Well done JBFAR and Nifty on your sessions.  Nifty I'm always amazed by your speed in training.  I bet you're well capable of going sub 3.  If I remember at Abingdon you only just missed out. 

Still not able to get outside here, so was at the gym aty 6.30am for an easy 5, then will go again after work for another easy 5.  Trying to do at least 10 miles a day through the week except 1 day where it'll be 12-15 and weekends where it'll be more.

Happy running folks.

• Options

Morning all.

EP- How did you see that I was doing Reading? Is there a list up somewhere?  I didnt realise I was accepted (i entered via sinaed)

Hash: Nope haven't seen that yet...I'll play around later with that..Can you configure it to count totals monday-sunday too?

Its all beginning to thaw now which is great news- hopefully it will be all clear by next week,

Rest day for me today- went swimming and did 2000m-It's  agreat way to ease sore muscles.

• Options
    Liz Yelling wrote (see)
    . I don't do 20 miles races, although I might run a half and then an hour after nice and easy for a training run. Yes think it was Sliverstone, do it after a few of my build up half marathons. Planning on doing Wokingham, Silverstone and Reading this year! I plan to race myself fit...well hoping to
    This is interseting (off MM thread)  Bramley will be my first 20 mile race- I will defo be training at that one rather than racing....Better check the with Paul
  • Options

Hiya

Can't remember re the garmin software, but I'll have a mess around with it when I get home tonight and let you know. 

• Options

Hi Hilly,

Just popped in to see how my good friend Paul Evans is coping with the Forum firing line and not surprised to see you and BR on this particular thread image.

As I know your background and how tough you found it building up miles and maintaining some sort of reasonable pace, I thought it might be a good idea if you described what it was like for you when you made the big leap of faith into harder training?

If you have already done that earlier in the thread then just ignor me - but you have a lot of experience to offer to a runner striving to go sub-3.

Now I've done it - sucked into a training thread when I had managed to resist for a few years!!!

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    N&S - really impressed with your work ethic. I think you said you are based in Norfolk, and you were referencing park runs. I live about 15 miles north of Kings Lynn - is that outside your sphere of activity, or can you recommend anything to me?
  • Options

Hi Tom - thanks for that image 

The Park Run that I was thinking of was the Gorleston 'Cliffs' Park Run - sounds a bit daunting, but a guess it is only a 5k. 

Are you training for a marathon at the moment?

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi JBFAR

Just checking in to see how the "fast show" is getting on. If your doing Reading and Bramley I might bump into you. I'm definately doing the first and maybe the second though I've heard at Bramley its 10 or 20 miles. Not sure how much willpower i'll have to do another lap when I see other people stopping.

I'll also take a look at "Sporttracks" (thanks Tony Smith 17)

Best of luck with your training

AndyV

PS you run scary splits, quicker than me on a bike! image

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    N&S - no I'm not training for marathon. My ambitions only extend as far as HM. At present I'm feeling my way back after three injury blighted years. Gorleston is down the Yarmouth end of the county - a bit far to travel for a 5k. Anyway thanks for the info.

Hope your preparations go well.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Mike - yes, no surprise to see BR and me on here.  Yes, you're right I did find it very difficult to make the move to harder training and remember getting to sub 3 for me was done in stages.  JBFAR I think is a more talented younger lady and I'm sure she'll achieve her sub 3.

Rather than me talk about myself  and take over JBFAR's thread I'll just post this link http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/hard-training-dawn-critchell-hilly/1476.html so if anyone is interested they can have a look at where all these RW online coaching/mentoring threads began. 

Nice to see you posting again!

Nifty - we've done several parkruns now and find them really good for getting a blast on a Sat morning.  They don't take anything out of the legs, well for me they don't as I can't run fast enoughimage.  We do them as part of our normal weekly routine.  Not doing one this weekend though.  Enjoy yours.

JBFAR - what's your weekend training looking like?

• Options

Hi Christina

Hope you are well, and you enjoyed your day off rest  yesterdayimage tomorrow you have your LR (14 miles)

Sorry I have not been, online as I have had PC problems

Keep me posted !

Paul

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

JBFAR - did you do a run yesterday?

Mike or anyone- if you're about could I ask a question about tapering?  It's just I'm doing a half marathon next weekend and was wondering how much would you advocate easing off from weeks of so far 100, 70, 83?  I know I'm not in shape for a real relatively speaking good time, but would like to give it a good shot to assess where my racing fitness is.

Does anyone else ever get tapering right?  I always find it a problem.

• Options

Morning Hilly - I find this tapering thing a bit of a mystery. Apart from Abingdon 09, all of my PBs have come off no tapering, just a rest day the day before. Infact on my 10k PB I did an 80 mile week (one of my highest) and didnt rest the day before!

I have found my PBs have come when I am mentally strong. I.e I put no pressure on myself to race well, but know in the back of my mind I have some quality injury free training under my belt.

Last month I tapered for a week for an important XC race and had a shocker, was beaten by fellow runners that I would normally beat by 5 - 10 mins + on a half! image

Just done 15 miles at an overall 7:15 min mile pace. However was a bit hilly with mile splits from 8+ min miles to a 6:15 min mile......

• Options

Hilly - I also find Tapering hard to get right, and like Tony have had some of my best results when I have not rested, and put less pressure on myself - but saying that I may try a different approach this year. I am planning to race less this marathon campaign and concentrate on getting more long runs under my belt.

On  Tuesday's I train with one of the top-ranked V45 and she reckons that I may have better results if I target less races and restup before them. If she is racing, she will complete a very light speed session on the Tuesday and then do almost nothing for the rest of the week. I'm not sure if I could cut-back to the same extent, but may give it a try.

I will probably run Benfleet 15 as a training run on Sunday (multi-terrain, so not one to try to achieve at time on) and race Sidcup 10 mile in February with a taper beforehand.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Thanks for that Tony and Nifty.  Like you both I seem to do better if I don't put pressure on myself before a race and my best results have come off little tapers.

Today's run didn't go to plan as a catalogue of life hiccups including slicing a finger which just does not want to stop bleeding so just 8 miles done which gives me a 70m week rather than an 80m week so there you go these things happen really.