Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

Fantastic Vik, excellent running and have a well-deserved great evening.  I know what you mean about telly that the OH can't stand - I have a whole stash of downloads on i-player that need to be watched with the door closed!

Oh I hope so Rod.  I've just looked at the forecast for round our way, saw that it would be raining and 4 degrees on Saturday and was really happy about itimage  Sunday looks positively tropical for the LSR.  Wahooo!!!

• Options
    x-post (I'm still stuck at work so typing whilst technically listening to someone droning on down the phone). Not fair Seren! Good plan to do the speed session on it though, at least it gets it over with quicker.
  • Options

Now listen Hash you're just sowing off now, its only a forecast image

I have the Not The Roman 9 race at stratford, technically it should be LSR 12 miles but I am swapping the next sunday with this sundays, lets hope its the same here!

• Options
    " sowing should read showing" image
  • Options
    Well I drove around the town a bit when I got back from work and the pavements look much the same as last night so it is off to the gym for me later.  It's not so much the thought of falling over that worries me as the shoes are doing pretty well on grip but more the thought of the effort it took to produce 13 min miling last night image
  • Options

Evening all.

Hash; Good idea about not trying anything new until after VLM. Body pump is great and a good all round body conditioning. However, you don't know how it is going to effect you. So best left me thinks!

Lostkat: Having your plan tweaked is a great idea, but it all depends how serious you want to be, and like you said you really enjoy your body pump and body balance classes, and these are a good compliment to your running. If it works for you and you enjoy it, why change it. If you are set on putting everything into your running then you may swap one class for a very gentle run, but it is all about introducing different types of training into your plan very progressively and monitoring the effects on your body. If you are happy with the balance of your week...then why change it.

Im.rio: Yes the plans do need to be amended to fit in with your lifestyle thats for sure, just make sure you balance your runs and alternate harder/easier or shorter/longer runs, if you are going to cram at the beginning of the week.

Hope the snow doesn't dump too much on you all.

Night.

• Options

Hi all! Nice to see you back SJG!!! And keep well Rio! You're really giving this blog loads, hash - well done!!

A nice man called Hector from Lucozade emailed me today and suggested filling out the Dorney Lakes application pronto (well by 30th Jan) and that Lucozade will pay!! I've never been able to resist a freebie - do say you're coming too, super sixers and fantastic 14 (or whatever we called ourselves!!) Did you get the email too???

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭

Some good training on hereimage I'm glad the rolling pin is working Hash.

Icy round here so back to the gym tonight for an interval session. I actually enjoyed it! I find the time passes really quickly when I do intervals. I did a pyramid session, 1, 2, 3,4,4,3,2,1 mins with recoveries, warm up and cool down easy running a total of 5.5 miles.

I really hope they have the weather forecast right for later in the week so that we can do our long runs at the weekend with no snow or ice in sight *fingers crossed*

Hmmm where's Dorney Lakes *pads off to search events*

• Options
    *bounces in with a big smile*  I managed a PB on the tready of 4.5 miles image
  • Options
    well done SB  I'm just glad to get the treadmill runs finished, I've not thought about a PB image
  • Options
    BB ✭✭✭
  • Options
    B wrote (see)

Hmmm where's Dorney Lakes *pads off to search events*

It's near Windsor, B ... details here .... Dorney Lakes "Race your Pace" link

It's a pacing half marathon on 28th March organised by Lucozade sport. There are also seminars available on the day. Hash (and the other people shortlisted for the super six a month or two back) got a free entry for the event as a main part of the prize for getting shortlisted. It's open to everyone, though.

I'll be part of the Improvers race - people trying to pace themselves somewhere between 1hr 45 and 2 hrs 30 for a half marathon. Not sure what my target will be - probably 2hrs 10, though might be able to squeak a 2.05 if training goes well (pb is 2.14.40 at the mo). The improvers kick off at 12.30pm (very civilised!) ... the faster people start sometime in the morning for their pacing event.

Fancy it?

• Options
    ooh and well done too, SB - v good achievement!
  • Options

Welldone SB

BB I am trying to get the Dorney Lake weekend off of work but not having much luck!  Will keep trying though!

Was mean't to have first sports massage tomorrow but has been cancelled so will endeavour to do 6 miles if i can find a road without ice

• Options

Hope you can make it Vik !!!

Not sure if our roads are really too icy round here at the mo ... it's just that they are covered with about a foot of fresh snow!!! - well pretty deep anyway! Looks beautiful, but not the best for us runners! May even have to seek out a gym tomorrow!!! ugh

• Options

Well done everyone on today's training - dreadmill or otherwise.

Feeling quite pleased with myself!  Did the 2 mile brisk session with wu/cd today.  Hit my target pace spot on and at the right heart rate - really encouraging.  And I did it outside. 

Not exactly a good course though - up and down and up and down a mile long road that was clear of snow on the roadway, and only had light traffic - extra interest provided by jumping onto snowy pavements to avoid oncoming buses, trucks, cars etc!  Still I think it was better than the treadie, if a little more dangerous.

• Options
    OK, SWalian opinions needed. Tempted by the idea of Dorney, but it clashes with the San Dom 20 I was intending to do. I see that there's a 20 miler in Rhayader the weekend before. Haven't ever done this. Can anyone offer feedback on what it's like? What the commute from S Wales is like (do you travel up on the day or stay o/night?). Thanks from a Tired Thistle.
  • Options
    I'm considering dorney or reading.... HT come do dorney I can put you up.....
  • Options
    BB ✭✭✭

Thanks for the race info BBimage

We've had another few inches of snow here in the night and it's still snowingimage The temps later in the week will hopefully get rid of it...

• Options

HT.I'm doing Rhyader and san dom this year ...both as training runs so that I have company for the long ones........

I haven't down Rhyader but my OH has a couple of times and our club takes up a mini bus every year..........there is a long big hill between miles 5 and 8 and after that its mainly downhill............seems a very scenic race and is very popular with those who run it.

San dom is good for a training race......a lot flatter but not flat.....10 miles on  aslight downhiil down the taff valley apart from the mountain they send you up and then a long slow drag back up to merthyr........great for helping you push on the second half.......

both are very well organised..........San Dom is closer but Rhyader is easy to get to just follow the a470 northwards... under two hours to get there easily.

• Options

Hairy Thistle - Thanks for the pep talk image I'm doing pretty much the same as you did last year. 2 days rest, 4 days running and 1 day cross train. I don't have any daily commute though as I work 17 miles away. Hey, maybe I'll run in later in my training image (or maybe not... dual carriage ways aren't fun!). Spoke to a few experienced marathon runners at the club last night and they said not to give up my cross training altogether,

Well done on your dreadmill PB SB and anyone else who was confined to the indoors yesterday. Poor things image

Thanks for the advice Liz. I think I'll just see how it goes really. I might start swapping my body pump sessions for easy runs later on when my mileage goes up, but for now I'll just carry on. I can see why he suggested it though. He's hugely committed and a 2h40m marathon runner. This is my first marathon, so I really just want to make the distance. Getting sub-4h30 would be a massive bonus, but it doesn't really matter.

B - I enjoy pyramid sessions too. They get easier towards the end, which is fantastic image

5.3 miles (plan said 4) at running club for me last night in the slippery snow. There were 3 of us running together, 1 slower than the others. So me and another guy were running ahead and doing speed reps in the deep snow until the slower guy caught us. It wasn't fast, but it was very hard and lots of fun. Quite funny to see the squiggle on the map when I got home and downloaded the data off my Garmin. Finished the run off with an offroad section that we can't do normally in the winter because there are no lights. Snow & a light sky meant we could see perfectly though image There's one good thing about running in this snow... when you reach a section of normal path/road, it doesn't half feel easy!!!

Anyway, sorry for waffle. Have a good day all image

• Options

morning all there's snow here too but I'm being positive and hope to venture out to te chub tomorrow evening if it looks iffy I will do my speed training during the day, at least you can see any possible problems!

Lostkat I am doing x training for the first time in a few years mainly becaused of the weather, I want to get the most use out of the gym I can, its amazing in just a few sessions how it helps. I am running 3 times 2 x training and 2 days rest, one of the x training  days will involve te dreadmill I think. I was considering setting it on a fairly steep incline at a fastwalking /slow running pace to simulate a sort of hill climb session.

Still prefer an outdoor run anyday mind!

Hash I hope your evening was good image

• Options

6 inches of new snow for us.........problem is that the compact snow and ice is still underneath it from a week ago......

just helped my OH get the car out . can't park it in our street or he would't get out so we leave it on the main road..still took up a while to dig it out and for me to help push it until he could get out onto the road......the main road is still white for a change...can't see much eveidence of gritting..........

after my intervals I might be tempted to have a run outside to cool me down.....

Lostkat that sounded like a good sesion and fun.........

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Morning all, snow here too....grrr, I'm getting bored of it now.

I attempted the speed sesh last night but the state of the pavements, which are still covered in snow and ice, meant that was impossible, so I just ran 5 miles as best I could.  Twas v slow though.

Unfortunately, when I last did a 4:30 mara, it was the speedwork that was key for me so without speedwork I don't think I'll be any PBs this year.  image.

Right, better head off for the hideous 1 hour 40 commute into work and see if our train service is operating an 'emergency' timetable all because of 1cm of snow.

HAve a good day everyone.

• Options

Ugh, not more snow, how frustrating.  Thankfully we seem to have escaped another dumping so far, but I'm just watching some of the pictures on the news, 

BB fantastic, I'm really glad you're doing Dorney Lake and can't wait to meet you.   Hope you can make it Vik - can't you tell them you've got something urgent and personal to do and have to have the day off?  It's sort of true!

Nice interval session B, and I bet that makes it a lot more boring than just plodding along - at least you'd only be counting in batches of four minutes.  I've got to do it by miles rather than time tonight, but I'm hoping that any sort of mind game will help.

Well done on the PB SBimage

My evening was fab thanks Rod.  Blouse's brother and my sister in law are off home to America today, so it was lovely having a final catch up and wish them well.  Sarah really reminds me of Christina who's going for sub-3, they look really similar and she's a runner too, so much to natter about. 

Your run sounds lovely Lostkat.  I suppose the one thing about all this snow is that we've all got to experience some really different running conditions - some not so good, obviously, but there's been some fab experiences too.  My 10 miler just after it all came down before Christmas, when it was still crisp and crunchy and not slippery underfoot was just lovely, especially as the sun came out and was lovely and bright, glinting off the snow.

On the other hand, we've all really had enough now, thank you weather fairies.  Hopefully the weekend forecast still looks good, I'm not looking in case they've changed their minds!

Even though it's not snowed again here, the pavements are far too icy for a speed session, so it looks like the dreaddie again for me tonight.  I'll do it after work rather than on a late lunch like I did yesterday - there was just me and four giggling girls filing their nails on the bikes and  making me feel so awkward I may as well have been running stark naked!

• Options
    Just arrived in work (well I have been in long enough to defrost slightly and make a cup of tea).  I will post a pic later tonight or tomorrow of my hill that I have to run over.  It was blooming hard work this morning and looked worse when the gritter had been over than before.  Was great coming down the other side though.  Just me on the road!  Not looking forward to the reverse trip though.  But 8.5 miles done so far!
  • Options

Rio........I'm amazed you ran over the mountain in this weather..........thats brilliant.........

I did my speed session on the readmill and managed do do all three sepeate miles fast.the third was a killer........but the hardest session finished and didn't seem so bad as a 5.5 slow run would have been

• Options
    Well it did take me 1:48 to do it so hardly a run.  But it was very hard work!  I am the only person from Caerphilly side to make the effort to come in so hopefully some brownie points image
  • Options

Another inch or two of snow overnight here in NW London. It's great to have such a good excuse not to stick to the schedule!

No club run last night as the pavements were still treacherous. Last run was early Sunday when it was safe-ish running in the road. Struggled to do 7, so just as well I've missed the entry for the watford half on 7/2. Not too disappointed as it was so bitterly cold last year.

Was looking to use a treadmill but my local (council-run) gym want me to pay £18 induction fee before I can use any of the equipment, even though I'd only be using the treadmill. I've even been looking at treadmills in the Argos catalogue...