Options

The 2010 Marathon Thread

Ok here it is the roll over from 2008, 2009 into 2010 enjoy and may all your dreams for PB's come true this year.

Comments

• Options
    Completing the Paris Marathon 2010 and hoping for under 4 hours, ideally closer to 3.30hrs. Will be my first marathon though, so finishing is obviously the main target!
  • Options

Welcome Gemma, I am training for the VLM target is in or around the 3hrs mark.

• Options

HI

I'm in the VLM. Going for sub 4.30 alhough it's my first marathon so just want to finish really.

• Options
    The best advice that I can give is make sure you get your LSR's in and that you also do a good mix of shorter milage work during the week. When it comes to the big day take it easy at the start and dont do what I did during my first marathon and race off and pay big time from 20 mile to the end. I had got to the half way point in 1hr 30mins but finished in 3hrs 52 mins. As you will see from that the second half hurt a bit. Just enjoy your first marathon and be happy that it is Londonimage
  • Options
    HI- I'm also a VLM 1st timer & prob similar to Joolze timewise. Would love to get inside 4.30 & should do if I get my training started!!
  • Options
    No time like the presentimage
  • Options

Hi all - ran my first mara in October ( only been running since Januaryimage) in Snowdonia ( 3:37 - but got bad case of cramp between 20-22, so could have been better). Hooked now!! Have entered brand new Llanelli mara ( flat but exposed coastal for at least part of route - full course not available yet - ??) and going back for Snod 10image. Hoping ( with hard training plan and perfect weather)  for 3.15 for flat one in April  and 3.25 in not flat one next October. Got Pete Pfitzinger's book coming for Xmas, so hope that might help - ??? Followed Smartcoach plan for last run, plenty of mileage - topping out at 74 miles pw, but think that the idea of alternating weeks with once a fortnight tempo run and once a fortnight speedwork needs upping to 2 quality sessions per week - ??? Only probs with LSRs was the S part - always tempted to run these faster -tempo pace - possibly because getting bored with 4 easy runs per weekimage Also LRs topped out at 20m and felt need to extend some of these to 22m for peace of mind - not having run mara before!!

All and any advice gratefully receivedimageimage

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Evening all, Dark Lord checking in.

Somehow if I look at 2009 I ran 2 reasonable marathons, considering I spent most of it either injured or recovering between injuries thats not bad.

Most likely going to run Shakespeare in April pacing Rach_e in the half before trotting on and finishing the full.

Will be using a different approach to training from past marathons but one thing will remain true, when it is time to run long I WILL run long.

Advice

I think goal time is important even for the 1st one as it helps with training.
    The long run is crucial BUT it is not the bee all and end all of training.
    You can't make up time if you miss a run, don't play catch up just move on.
    Believe in yourself and believe in your training.
  • Options

welcome Jason.

Hi Gobi, I should of added that when I blew up on my first marathon,  I had only run 1 LSR of 18 miles, since then I have found out that if I put in more LSR'S the better I feel from 20+ miles to the finish.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    NP - feel better, for my first marathon my longest run was 13 miles(I did one). It did NOT go well :¬)

Jason - there is a time and a place for doing the long run in a number of different ways but during the initial BASE phase I would say that the "S" in LSR is CRUCIAL.
  • Options
    Hi, marathon virgin here! Booked in for Edinburgh '10, slightly scared... Trying to focus on getting from A to B and not thinking on times, personally I think I'll end up racing myself and burning out if I do that. For a first one anyway!
  • Options
    Evening all.

Nice work starting the new thread NP.

Started my 16 week programme yesterday for Blackpool on 11th April. Aiming for 3:15ish.

Good luck with the training everyone.

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I think I would like to go round London - my 1st 26.2 marathon - in 3.45 - 3.59 * but I feel it will all depend on what I do beforehand (events wise) & start position on the race day.

* Is that a big enough window??

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Mr K. Impressively VAGUE :¬)

Evening Omar.

Welcome Banana

Good to see we are all here.

Am I the only one who has not actually committed and entered the race yet?
  • Options

quantity for me - trying for 10 next year.

However, struggling for ideas after that Edinburrow. 

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    JJ - any reason for doing 10 ?

I've been doing Ultras so usually do 8-10 a year(including ultras) as training for one big race.
  • Options

Hey, just what I need,

In fact I may even get up early to do a few miles before work tomorrow cos the next day is going to be a write off (Work xmas excursion tomorrow night).

I am entered for my first marathon at the Shakespere in April...  The aim really is just to finish, although snekily I have an aim of 4h15m (won't be heartbroken if I don't make that though).

I've been doing really well winding up my mileage a little until this week, because haven't felt comfortable on the ice (and yes its Ice here not snow - I'd kill for snow). 

I know i have some nice new trainers coming on Friday so that'll be another little bit of motivation, and a nice dry pair to rotate between runs image

*Edit - snekily? that isn't right is it?

• Options

Welllllll.....

I did 5 this year and i fancied stepping up a notch. But, really, its a dumb idea, is what it is.image

• Options

I know it sounds weird but even without a 14 week plan i feel like most the time i could run a marathon. i did Abingdon on 6 weeks training after a 6 week layoff.

Not fast, but I think I could keep going.

Its avoiding injury from over-training or crass stupidity thats the main challenge...image

• Options

I've not run a marathon yet, but I'm entered in the Coniston 14 next march. If that goes well, I'm considering entering either the Yorkshire Man off road mara, or the Windermere mara towards the end of the year.

I was thinking I'd be daft to consider entering one after only running for just over a year, but after reading some of your posts I'm thinking I'll probably be right enough image

The longest I've run in training so far is 12.5 miles, but I'm ramping that up in preparation for the 14 miler so should be hitting some 16 miles or so before too long. I suppose we'll see how it goes.

@ Jason D, very jealous indeed. I've wanted to do the Snowdonia mara for ages but keep convincing myself to get more training in and try a flatter mara as a first. I bet it was something special.

• Options
    go for it, dude!
  • Options

Hello - Me too

Managed to get into Ballot for VLM Even though last time i did London i said i wouldn't do it again unless i got in the ballot too crowded. Hopefully i shall get a lower pen number was in 9 last time so least i can't get any higher. Its also my local marathon (well an hour on the train)

Would like a 3:45 or less time (GFA) but at this point in time, thats not likely not going to worry about times until later see how a couple of halfs go. (current pb 4:36)

Just need to stay fit got injured in Feb but am ok now so didn't do a marathon in 2009. Keen to get back into proper training

• Options
    Gobi wrote (see)
    Jason - there is a time and a place for doing the long run in a number of different ways but during the initial BASE phase I would say that the "S" in LSR is CRUCIAL.
    Gobi - please tell me more.... I must admit that I found myself getting a bit bored with running 12/13miles per week at easy pace, with 20m @ easy pace and 1 speed session per week......RW Smartcoach had me running all long runs at easy pace, though pace increased as time went by...  Total newcomer, as I said, but glad of any advice. Gut feeling says that should be running more than 1 speed/ tempo session on 70m per week ....?????  
  • Options

Hey guys and gals! Coming back from a year of injuries... I'm hoping to run my first marathon in 2010, any ideas which ones are the best ideally late in the year - around October time?

Good luck to everyone in 2010 image

Cheers! - Clown Foot

• Options
    Hi there
    I'm gearing up for my first marathon - New York in November. Main aim is just to enjoy it and not think about times with all the potential delays... but I'd be really pleased with a sub 3:30. At the moment I'm just getting about 35 miles a week all at around 7:30/ mile pace as I can't seem to run slower on purpose so we'll see how the year goes. Got a few halves over the year as a bit of benchmarking
    Good luck to everyone else in 2010

Andy
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Gobi wrote (see)
    Mr K. Impressively VAGUE :¬)
    I can say for sure that I will not be in fancy dress thou image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all, little icy this morning but still did 10.5 miles.

Jason

Later on as you get towards the event most of us coaches are fans of the progressive 20 miler and the sections at MP 20 miler.

Off 70 miles a week I would put in 2 speed sessions of some description.

G
  • Options

Thanks, Gobi!

CF - Snowdonia is at the end of October - fantastic atmosphere and scenery - it was my first this yearimage

• Options

Well done NoPain on starting the 2010 thread, I thought your work vehicle was a big red one with flashing lights???, and welcome to all the newcomers.  Moscow I hope the new year brings you more luck than the last.

Banana - see you in Edinburgh image  Yorkshire Rob - may see you for the YM off roader image  Clownfoot - I know a  lot of people who have done Snowdonia as a first marathon, me and jd included, not too much pressure on time in that one, I'll see you there, 4th time for me.

I managed to stay on the dreadmill for a FULL 3M yesterday before I got too bored and overheated, really don't know how you do it, going back today to see if I can break myself into it as I don't think I shall be on the roads for a while unless we have a dramatic change in the weather.

Downloaded my 16 Week Garmin sub 3:30 schedule for Edinburgh, I don't have to start til February, so January is just base mileage, apart from a half mara that I've enteredimage, hoping hamstring and glute survive.

• Options

Morning All

I am hoping to do the Glocester marathon in January. At the moment I am on track with training but will wait till early January to decide, depending on the success of the next long run and the next 2 weeks training! Unfortunately its going to be around 5 hrs for me. If I don't get to Glocester, I shall find something else, probably March.

Good luck with the training everyone.