Options

ALDI Ashby 20

Comments

• Options
    Are there any slow people running tomorrow?  You all seem a bit fast .....image.  So, I will definitely be in the last 10, but who cares.... I aim to enjoy myself!
  • Options

Morning all,

It's race day image. Looking nice in the West Midlands this morning, nice and sunny. I don't know what's happened to the overcast skies that were promised. Probably all over Ashby at the moment.

Shelscrape, you'll be fine. I don't consider myself fast by any means and if I run this as my training programme I'd be in the back end of the field. Certainly, enjoying it is what it's all about.

See you all there later and have a great race

• Options
    You won't be alone Shelscrape.  I was in the last 10 at last years RSM and there is a quiet dignity in it image.  I live about 10 miles from Ashby and a little misty at the minute but thats usaully a good sign.  Had my porridge, warmed up, dressed and chipped.  Not being picked up for another hour so may be a bit eager.lol
  • Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Just want to say a big thank you to all of the marshalls and organisers.  Today was first time I've run Ashby but will be back next year.

Hope everyone got the times they were looking for and enjoyed it. 

• Options

Thank you to the organisers and marshalls from me too. I have to say the hills are something I've never come across before as I live in a flat area of Lincolnshire! Very pleased with my time 3.07 - anybody know when the official times will be up please?

Well done everybody, once I had finished within 5 minutes I was driving 60 miles home - early night tonight for me now. Really feeling better prepared for London now, and maybe that sub 4 is on.

Thanks

Jane Benson

• Options

Well done all that finished...and if you didn't manage to finish, I hope that there's nothing permanently hassled?!

I loved the race, froze me bits off at the start, but soon warmed up.

Thought it was challenging to say the least! Undulating was a word used lightly methinks?!

Photos are already up at Mick Hall's site. Typical! 13 pages of photos and not one of me. Believe me I looked! Good job the official 'Team Jules' photographer (also known as 'The Boss!') was on hand, and I think (aint seen them yet) she got some good shots coming through Packington...

..and no I didn't. Strangely, I kinda wanted to though....LOL!

Oh, and can I make a plea? Go rate the race. There's plenty of us been talking about it for weeks, let's let everyone organisers and others for next year, know what we all thought of it - good or bad.

Stratford...HERE WE COME!

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Jane,

I asked before I left earlier and they said they'd try and get them on the website tonight, if not then tomorrow morning.

Well done to everyone

• Options
    3:25 with lots of walking in the last few miles but what a great day!  Had a brill time and the biggest thanks to all organisers and marshalls!  Cannot believe what was on offer all the way round.  Off to rate the run now and will be back next year.  Cheers.image
  • Options
    loads more photos being added as we speak, upto 30 pages now
  • Options

Excellently organised race, well done to all finishers

2:15:41 and only jogged last two miles because ITS A TRAINING RUN! and big effort on last hill = big injury risk!

LD

• Options

Very  nice run and gels well needed. The last 2 miles up them slight hills seem to go on forever and day!!! Anyone else agree........

• Options
    Great Race but those last two miles up hill really hurt. Plus it was WARM! Jane Benson - I saw you at one stage. I finished in 3hrs 1min and am hoping for a sub-4 at Paris in three weeks. Good luck for your attempt!
  • Options

Iron Rach

That was my last Marathon Pace run before Paris, am really looking forward to it again, well done all again.
    LD

• Options

Fantastic race, got round in 2hrs 49mins and some seconds, which I'm more than happy with. Went with the "Go with the flow" race plan. Some valuable lessons learnt too:

1. I can maintain 8min 30 for a 20 mile race, but I need to run at 8min 30 and not 7min 50 to 8min 30 pace if I want to finish a marathon at that pace.

2. I can't wear my cotton charity vest for anymore races, it didn't help in anyway, shape or form. I know at points that there was a breeze but it wasn't getting through the vest.

3. Refuelling strategy still needs a bit of work.

4. Keep following women who look really good from behind, excellent motivator.

I'll be back next year for sure, the marshalls were good, the support teams on the drinks stations were superb and the organisation that went into it worked great.

• Options

Echo everything that's been said.  Even being a little undualitingimage my time either proved that it's quite a quick course or i'm improving.  The race confirmed that I should  start with my inteneded MP for Sratford.  A very good race, well marshalled with great water stops (which I refused chocolate) and a  great goodie bag.

Sorry I didn't meet up with many of you today hope so next year.

better go and rate this one. excellent.

p.s - The Gorillia - Thanks for keeping us informed with everything and really enjoyed watching your sprint finish. 

• Options

Hi All yes another great event this is my favourite race for sure I paced a running club friend and finished in 3.03.40 so I could be on for a sub 4 -maybe image

Colin very true about the pacing my first 5 were 9.19 then all around the 9.08 with a last mile and a bit at 8.37 I worked really hard on that today.

Off to  review now thanks again Ivanhoe.

• Options
    Fantastic race, very well organised.  Shame about my running .... coming up the hill into Swepstone for the second time a vague ache in my left achilles - which had been there for about a mile and a half -  developed into excuciating pain image.  I tried to walk for a bit, but that hurt even more, so no option but to drop out.  The doctor at the first aid tent at the finish told me I'd done the right thing to drop out to avoid scuppering my running for the rest of the year, so that cheered me up a bit .... I am now doing as I am told and resting said foot ... hopefully better soon with complete rest.
  • Options

shelscrape - thats just too bad! But well done for having the common sense to just STOP. Not sure I could have been so clever. Here's hoping for a quick recovery mate.

Colin - Point 4. - I can't BELIEVE you typed that! LMAO!

Another Hill - Yep. Me too. I was sorry not to meet up with any one else and i did have a vague, embarrassed  work past a bunch (well 2!) of people to the right of the info desk in the leisure centre on way back from the loo (TMI!) but must have been a bit early? Either that or no one else turned up to chat!?

So. Stratford next boys and girls...well for a lot of us. Best wishes to those heading off to foreign shores for the Paris do in a few weeks. Hope its a good 'un for you!

Now. If only they'd post the results!

• Options

Point 4/ It does help.

Meet up Startford - Jules. 

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Sorry to see that Shel, but you did the right thing.

Well, I enjoyed the first 16 miles but struggled over the last four miles.  My pacing plan went out of the window as I discovered I'm hopeless at keeping a consistent pace on a hilly course image.  Back to the drawing board on that one.  It didn't help that my planned starting pace would have ensconsed me firmly at the back of the pack.  Even though I knew it would probably mean passing more people in the later stages, it was one psychological hurdle too many for me.  I ran with people who were aiming for four hours, but were running at 10:15 - 10:30 pace for a few miles.  At the time, that was faster than I had planned and I was aiming for 3:30:00!

Instead of increasing my pace to my projected MP for the last third of the race, I ended up slowing down.  The hills from the 16 mile mark slowed me down to 11:30 ish.  So this was payback time. Had I stuck to my plan, the last four miles would have seemed better, I'm sure.

In the end, I missed my target by just under two minutes.  Nothing to cry about.

I felt a bit disappointed at the end, because I finished the Oakley 20 last year in 3:15 and felt much better at the finish.  However, I've had a look at my records and saw that at this time last year I actually bailed before the end of my 20 mile run due to cramp on a very flat run.  The Oakley race was two weeks later and I bounced back for that one.  So I'm all cheered up again image.

In spite of the struggle at the end, I really enjoyed this race.  The support from the Marshalls was fantastic - thank you all.  It was well organised.  The cheese roll in my goody bag was as good as a slap-up meal.  I can't tell you how much I appreciated that.  Almost everybody vacated the car park to make it easy for me to leave (I assume).

A great day!

Sleep now.

• Options

Disappointed with my time really, did it in 2:48:13. Just felt really tired, dunno why.

Race was great though, can't fault the organisation or anything - and best goodie bag I've had.

Results are up on chiptiming.co.uk

• Options

Sorry Jules, read your comments about a scenic course and that's what I thought you meant image. There were some very foxy looking ladies out there today (from the back anyway, didn't check the front in case they thought I was being a perv).

I have it on good authority from members of the fairer sex, women do exactly the same thing to the fellas. It was discussed on another thread a few weeks ago. No harm in a bit of window shopping/wishful thinking.

• Options

Well done everybody, some excellent results.  I got a suntan today just a warning to start applying the old sun cream!

Pleased you managed to see me today, sorry I dont know your first name - hope I said hi to you anyway, I did find it easier chatting at times, up them great big hills and if I offended anybody with my swearing up some of them sorry.

With the achilles I would ice now 10 mins for every hour that you can. I would also see a sports therapist and get them to treat it. I suffered with mine for years and then my husband trained in sports therapy and sorted mine out very quickly after my physio (and friend) could not.

I'm training in sports therapy and today I passed some of the time watching people's running style and was shocked how fast some people were running with outward rotation of the knees/hips etc.  I can see that there will be lots of injuries and potentially lots of hip replacements etc as we get older if we're not careful.

Great day, feel proud of what we achieved. Felt gutted for those of you who I saw having to drop out but you did the safe thing.

Jane Benson

• Options

I really loved today's event, it's a real good tester and so well organised. Spent all day proud in my red  sweatshirt .

Very hot day and come back with a tan! I did my first ever 20 miles (i'd only done 17 the previous week) so was a big "climb" in more ways than one. It is a testy course but it's not tough, (do Dartmoor Vale and you'll know what tough stands for). It's a special event on the calendar and proper tests you. If you can do two 20 mile runs with comfort then london is yours!

I just wish i had a medal included with the bad but love the sweatshirt.

Thanks Ashby and Ivanhoe!

• Options
    Thanks for the advice Jane - ice pack already tied to my ankle as I type!  Really fed up with waht happened today ... never ever happened before.  Hopefully if I treat it right and rest, it won't happen again!  Phone call to be made to sports injury clinic first thing in the morning....
  • Options

Awesome race - mashalls did a fantastic job and loads on offer, as a result I proably took on too many of the gels as felt a bit sicky at 16 miles but could have been the heat and HILLS! Managed 2:46 and hadn't run that far before - doing the Rotterdamn Marathon in 3 weeks so feeling a bit more confident now.

Grreat goody bag - medal would have been good insead of sweatshirt but I was told reds not my colour!

Well done all.

Thanks.

• Options

Well done to everyone who competed yesterday.

Thanks for the kind words here on the forum, and by many of you yesterday.

We were lucky with the weather - again.

Thanks to all the team who helped to make a great event again.

Please can runners "rate the race" on Runners World. - (Our 2009 race was voted 12th recently).

Results will be on our Ashby20.co.uk site anytime now, but they are already on chiptiming.co.uk.

Thanks for coming to Ashby - see you next year.

Tim the gorilla Sturla

Competitor liaison officer - ALDI Ashby 20

timsturla@aol.com

Tel: 07855 848526

• Options

Once again Rolffie thanks on behalf of all the runners, rating done already image

A few of us saw someone who we think was a marshall have a heavy fall froma push bike in the first mile or so, could I ask if they are ok and send them my best, it looked quite nasty.

• Options

well done everyone,

not a great one for me 2;17:14, i found the cource much more dificult than i thought, too much training in my legs and most importantly ran the first half too hard, which i paid for 2nd half, however job done and sadly i know i'm not in mara PB shape just yet and need to slow my target pace down a bit for paris. will do a revised pace at wilmslow next week and see how i get on.  On a posertive note, legs feel good, like i did a hard run rather than ran a race so recovery should be quick. image

LD you must have passed me in the last couple of miles (alas, a lot of people did image), hopefully see you in paris, but not with me going backwards image

WELL DONE TO THE ORGANISERS A TOP RACE THAT WAS WORTH THE JOURNEY,

• Options
    shel - a very wise move and i hope it heals quickly