Options

English Half Marathon 2010 - Warrington

Comments

• Options
    I'm tempted to enter this one too. Liverpool was my first HM and really enjoyed it. image
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
  • Options

It IS good AGT/Dinda. This one will require a bit of hill training though, but nothing too terrible. Its hardly like climbing Everest!

Warrington's really quite a flat place, but the course takes you through some really lovely countryside and villages and the first bit is a gradual incline up to Appleton Thorn. It's not a short big hill and then a flat like Liverpool, more of a constant climb. I promise you its NOT bad....

Support a the last one was great. The villagers all came out to see us (probably because we were a curiosity if I'm honest!) and the weather wasn't great at times. I even spotted my cousin at one point! Nobody ever cheers me on usually! image

Its good to have something to aim for. AGT - have you considered the Liverpool 10K's next month? Having just done a half, you're already fit enough for them. The women's 10K is in Sefton park and is really well attended and has good camaraderie and the tunnel 10K is a really interesting race with FANTASTIC views of Liverpool from over the water!

• Options
    Thanks LB. I'm doing the Manchester 10K in mid May and then might do the Tunnel 10k. I've got a friend who's doing that and she told me its great.
  • Options
    Ooh Manchester will be good! Its a biggie! image
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Liverbird

I have done Eyam Buxton Leek and Hanley halfs so I can cope with hills
  • Options

Ran this one last year and achieved my best time yet. Nice little course and a great finish around the running track. Wont be there this year unfortunately, as already signed up for the Scottish Kilomathon and both races are on same day. Damn.

Good luck to all who run, it is a good one.

• Options
    Dinda - if you ran Buxton you'll think this one is flat!image
  • Options

Looking forward to Manchester but don't think it'll be repeated. It cost £34 which is too much for a 10k. I noticed that Tunnel 10k is much cheaper than that. image

Am trying to go for a PB at Manchester though. Last week at LHM I got to the 6 mile marker in an hour so I'm thinking I can get my 10k down to 55 mins or so.image

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Liverbird

Eyam is hilly then Buxton
  • Options

Is it really? I've not heard of Eyam, but you'd be hard pressed to get a flat race in Buxton that's for sure!

You'll cruise round Warrington Dinda!image

AGT - getting under that magic hour is a great feeling! I had a proper tantrum at the women's 10K in Sefton park one year because I did 1.00.15! I threw myself on the grass in tears! The water station wasn't ready for us and I lost more than 15 seconds waiting around so I blamed them too!

My youngest  - (probably 5 or so at the time) looked me in the eye and said "did you do your best mummy, because if you did, that's all we ask!!!!"imageimageimage

I went on two weeks later to do 57.06 in the tunnel so I well went under the hour, but it was her using my words against me that was ringing in my ears! image

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Liverbird

doing Chester mararthon my 4th full did Blackpool 2004/5/6 2005 was that very hot day but got round even with me getting sunburnt
  • Options

I was there at Blackpool! It was a madly hot day wasn't it? image

You can blame Mr LB for the weather. He has only run one marathon in less than 25 degrees and three at over 30! He is an absolute JINX!image

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    yes it was very hot that day I prefered that route to st Annes 2 laps for a mararthon very Boring
  • Options

Ran 10k with the dog yesterday and was dismayed to find out that I had only burnt off 1/3 of an easter egg LOL!

Going to do some speed work for the first time so that i can try to get well under the hour.

LB - aww. I can imagine that that really spurred you on for the tunnel 10K and probably every race since.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I do not eat easter eggs Choclate gives me migrances
  • Options
    Im the same AGT, i need to do some speed work, not sure of the most effective way though.
    I managed to do 5 miles on Sunday in 50mins, was quite disapointed with my time just couldnt seem to pick up my pace and stay consistant.

Kerry
  • Options

I did a mile today to see how fast I can go. Did it in 8.20 but I reckon I can shave a bit off that!

Fun not having long runs to put in at the moment though - I'm tri training and trying to learn to swim properly! I honestly don;t know why I keep challenging myself to do these things.....

Somebody give me the name of a good shrink!image

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    got to get my running up been slacking on short ones for a few days so will get a big run in tommorrow
  • Options

I've got a really frustrating week coming up where I can't really fit much training in, so I'll be on the turbo biking mostly. Kids being off school is a real butt pain and we're going away tomorrow for a couple of days. Life doesn't half get in the way of a good run doesn't it? image

• Options

I'm going to try and get out running after work today, with my wife now working I have to cook tea though!

I normally run along the Sankey Valley canal, but decided to be adventurous and instead of going towards Liverpool, thought i'd run the other way (from Sankey Bridges). Good lord it is a complicated route, it was well signposted one minute and then nothing the next as it directed you down side roads and round muddy paths. I gave up on the way back and had to take the roads back to the town centre

R

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Liverbird

just had a good run today and now back on track for Chester
  • Options

Ooh that's good news Dinda! image

WRW - so which route have you taken then?

• Options

I was trying to follow the Trans Pennine Trail towards Lymm, but just kept getting lost and luckily finding a sign when i guessed where I was going. On the way back I got lost completely, couldn't remember which way I came and headed back towards town

R

• Options
    I can't find it going to Lymm either! LOL! image
  • Options
    I've signed up for a triathlon too! Its a sprint triathlon in August. 500m swim, 19k bike, 6k run. Think it should be ok. Been working on the swimming but need to buy a bike - been doing spinning classes though. image
  • Options
    I'm doing my first tri next month AGT! I couldn't swim FC last month! I do have a bike but its firmly attached to a turbo and I've not ridden since I was 12! I will keep you posted.....image
  • Options

Good luck with it. image Let me know how you get on.

I had some swimming lessons before Christmas as I wouldn't put my head under water. The lessons were great. I can now swim proper breast stroke and FC but I think my FC technique is poor I'm much faster swimming breast stroke. image

Looking forward to going shopping for the bike image

• Options

Never done a triathalon before, however that sprint one sounds pretty good. I can do the bike and the run and the swim.

However a 500m swim would take me about 45 minutes
    My Sports Direct Dunlop Mountain Bike would take about an hour
    The run would take me about 40 mins

Would I be a joke if I entered a triathalon with those times?

R

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    just run about 13 miles tonight and feel so good now it was nice and sunny here in saddleworth