Options

Little Devil

Comments

• Options

OK, revised route here I will be checking it out for road conditions later this week.

TommyG I can only ride some of it Friday and Monday day times, planning on doing the first 20 miles tp Yorks Hill Friday and the last 20 on Monday.

There is no point of the course more than 15 miles from base so if people are woried about completing there is an option to wimp out image

What sort of time are people thinking of doing this on the day? I am on nights the Friday but should be back by 08:00.

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    If you are taking a thermos to bed then you are officially older than Plum
    and more desperate if you're down to shagging inanimate (albiet warm) objects ...
  • Options

Ok Mr Smith I can only do weekends so I will do some of it on my own on Sunday image

• Options
    10am suise me and I suspect others with a bit of a way to travel

and it gives Smiffy time for 40 winks and some brekkie !

• Options

10am sounds fine to me means I get a lay in till 9.30 image

• Options
    If its 10am then I will drive down on the Saturday morn, should be ok if I set off about 6 image
  • Options

Have converted the route into something downloadable for any other geeks out there,

Little Devil

Liking the sound of the bailout options - should be well enough to do at least some of this 

• Options
    I'm all about the bailout - I'll claim I made it too!
  • Options
    lol, if you click on the 'summary' tab you get the elevation diagram - think I might bail out now! image
  • Options

Gulp! Just loaded it into Sporttracks and the steepest gradient is 17.2% at 32km into the ride, which looks like the ride up to Stubbs Woodimage

Then there are a few 14% bits image

Toys Hill climbs 182m in a nice 4km upflat, looking forward a lot to that!

On the plus side... there is a 4km and a 5km downflat to enjoy. 

Overall my toy says  27km is uphill and  37km downhill. Which just means the upflats are B@stard steep and that we are doing this route the wrong way round!!image

Simples!

• Options
    I know a few nice pubs on the route where bailing out could be a good optionimage
  • Options
    Aliaird wrote (see)

Gulp! Just loaded it into Sporttracks and the steepest gradient is 17.2% at 32km into the ride, which looks like the ride up to Stubbs Woodimage

Then there are a few 14% bits image

Toys Hill climbs 182m in a nice 4km upflat, looking forward a lot to that!

On the plus side... there is a 4km and a 5km downflat to enjoy. 

Overall my toy says  27km is uphill and  37km downhill. Which just means the upflats are B@stard steep and that we are doing this route the wrong way round!!image

Simples!

if youy decide to do this this will be the hardest ride you ever do. i'm not joking they wouldn't put the TDF throu h thisimage
  • Options
    gah! scariness. be prepared for my bitching - i live in herts, there are no hills! a verbal kick up the arse may be required...

on the bright side it could be worse alliard - the Bealach Mor Challenge goes over britains highest road pass - a 600m climb over 10k..
  • Options
    Erm I haven't actually ridden my bike outdoors yet... The last time outdoors was on my old bike and that was 20 months ago - but if you don't fail you won't have anything to regret for the rest of your life!
  • Options
    Ali, your sport tracks is well out. There are at least three 20% ers and possibly a very short bit of 22-25% at that 32km point image
  • Options

Just remembered I'm definitely meant to be washing my hair that day.

More seriously Smiffy, given that I've had a few weeks out due to illness (starting to get better, hoping to do something gentle this weekend) - should I do something steady and low HR instead of suddenly throwing myself at big hills?  Advice appreciated image

• Options
    Looking at the route I'm not sure if I see Yorks Hill? We are going up it the usual way I hope image
  • Options
    usual way? hands and knees?
  • Options
    Just that ive never got up it at two attempts and would like another go, that said it'll be kind of cheating this time as my bike has a compact now.

I have crawled up the last bit on my hands and kees before but more for effect and that it was easier than walking in cleats.
  • Options
    *mental note....take spare socks as ones worn cycling may end up dirty*
  • Options

Carl Yorks is at 19 miles. A general list of the main ones is

Toys Hill at 13 miles, aprox two miles gradually increasing to about 20% near the top
    Yorks Hill at 19 miles, aprox three quarters of a mile 15-20%  increasing to possibly just over 20% at the top
    Hubbards Hill at 23 miles, aprox three quarters of a mile 12%
    Clarks Lane(one tree hill) at 27 miles, similar to Yorks without the steeper kick at the top and maybe slightly longer.
    Row Dow at about thirty two and a half miles, aprox half a mile 15%
    Redmans Lane at 39 miles, aprox half a mile 15+%

With a few upflats in between image

Ditchy, only you know how you will feel healthwise, hills are a good way of building early season strength but you have to be careful not to overdo it and cause unnecessary stress. Most of the steepest ones have alternative short cuts to avoid them if you wanted an easier option. There is always the option to do part of it, as I said before the whole thing is never more than about 15 miles from base image 

• Options
    Oh and there are shops at aprox 17, 23, 30 and 44
  • Options
    That's good I need a new set of taps for the bathroom image
  • Options
    AndrewSmith wrote (see)

Carl Yorks is at 19 miles. A general list of the main ones is

Toys Hill at 13 miles, aprox two miles gradually increasing to about 20% near the top
    Yorks Hill at 19 miles, aprox three quarters of a mile 15-20%  increasing to possibly just over 20% at the top
    Hubbards Hill at 23 miles, aprox three quarters of a mile 12%
    Clarks Lane(one tree hill) at 27 miles, similar to Yorks without the steeper kick at the top and maybe slightly longer.
    Row Dow at about thirty two and a half miles, aprox half a mile 15%
    Redmans Lane at 39 miles, aprox half a mile 15+%

With a few upflats in between image

Ditchy, only you know how you will feel healthwise, hills are a good way of building early season strength but you have to be careful not to overdo it and cause unnecessary stress. Most of the steepest ones have alternative short cuts to avoid them if you wanted an easier option. There is always the option to do part of it, as I said before the whole thing is never more than about 15 miles from base image 

It would be nice to find a hill image
  • Options
    Thanks Smiffy, will see how this week goes, and maybe turn up and play it by ear - ie bail out / go for shallower options if my HR is going mental.... image
  • Options

I hope youre a bit better DTB, my leg is a bit crooked at the mo im hoping ill be ok cycling around South Cerney on Sat, will have to see how it goes.

Ive been to the fizz and seems I did a little damage to my sciatic nerve / hamstring when I fell on Sunday, nothing to seriois luckily. 

• Options

Not sure which bike to bring with me ... its been a few years since I did any of these hills and will be good to see if there is any improvement !
    TriXie or PiXie ??

I too will be taking it a little easy as the Sunday is my 'A' race of the weekend and I dont want to die in Kent.

• Options
    DTB, Ultra Cake Pim.p wrote (see)
    Thanks Smiffy, will see how this week goes, and maybe turn up and play it by ear - ie bail out / go for shallower options if my HR is going mental.... image
    image Seems like a good sensible idea Ditchy, cant be to careful think I might do the same actually now you have brought it up. Im sure I didnt read anything about hills earlier when I said that I MIGHT pop down image
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing Meldy about bikes. Should I bring the the Scott CR1 lots of gears max speed ..ohh about 18mph with a tail wind or the Yamaha R1 only 6 gears top speed 180mph decisions decisions  hmmmmmmmmmmm...........