Options

The Perkins Great Eastern Run 13.1

Comments

• Options
    i have just entered i am pretty nervous to say the least because I have only ever done a 5k still I am determined and think that the support on the route will spur me on look forward to seeing you all there
  • Options
    My number arrived this morning - plenty of time in which to lose it!
  • Options
    oooh i want my number - jealous !
  • Options

I only entered this as I needed a half marathon as part of my marathon training for next April, but I am getting quite excited about it now, and trying to focus on a sub 2hr.

Good luck all

• Options
    i will never be able to do sub 2 hr i managed to do 5 miles yesterday but it took me 52 minutes going running again tonight 4 times a week at least until race day
  • Options

Amanda

I though I could never achieve what I have, I only started running just over a year ago, being 40 something and overweight, but I managed Brighton Marathon this year and doing it again next year.

5 miles in 52 minutes is good, that is a 2hr 16min finish. With your runs are you structuring them, i.e. some speed and slow longer runs, are you planning on running the 13 miles before the race or not.

The most important thing I have found is have fun and enjoy it.

good luck with your training

• Options
    i haven't tried the faster sessions yet but I am planning on doing a 5 mile run tonight then on Wednesday another then on Friday a shorter run say 4 miles with faster segments then on Sunday a 6 mile run and gradually building up from there i do plan on at least getting to 11-12 miles before the event I have only been running for about 3 months now so think in 10 weeks i can ramp it up
  • Options

Amanda

It looks like you have got it planned, just dont risk injury, and if you body says to rest make sure you rest, the general rule is you should not increase your longest run or your weekly total by more than 10% from the previous one. I am sure if you can do 11 miles, then the crowds and determination will get you through.

• Options
    i did 5 miles yesterday felt fine afterwards but the tops of my thighs hurt i have been told this could be becuase of lactic acid is that right ? also i was wondering if anyone had any advice on gels etc i see all of these energy things but dont know where to start if im honest
  • Options

well done on the 5 miles, the pain in your thighs could be lactic acid or just plain muscle soreness.

with regards gels these are only normally used when running for over 90 mins, there are many websites that sell gels some need water and some you can take on there own, there are also a number of energy bars available, but for most of your running if you eat well and make sure you are hydrated up to half marathon distance they will not make too much difference, but it is up to you.

• Options
    i was thinking it might be lactic acid might try drinking lucozade sports drink rather than water when running and see if that makes a distance - as I say I wasnt exhausted when i finished just a real pain at the top of my legs
  • Options

Amanda - I think it was probably just your leg muscles were not used to being used, but it could be lactic acid, I have found the best thing is to stretch the muscles and drink water to flush the muscles out, these may not work for you so experiment.

• Options
    thank you whent on a training run for the great eastern at werrington sports centre yesterday and addidas were there doing running tests sort of like the gair analysis ones and said i run on the inside of my feet so need some support there going to go along to advance performance once I get paid am also being pulled in to the idea of getting a garmin 205 have a link for one at £99 so seriously considering it right now i am just so impatient lol
  • Options

Amanda - well done on the training run, good fitting trainers do make such a difference when upping the distance of your runs, and do help prevent any injuries.

I have a garmin 305 and as I train on my own, and it helps with distance, and pace, it is great as it gives an incentive to get better, but then I love statistics and review all on my runs on the computer, but on the other side they do not make you run fatser or further.

keep up the training

• Options
    ooooh, I am really tempted to enter for the GER but like Amanda have only done a 5k so far. I am training for a 10k on 19th September, do you think I would be mad to try for the GER?
  • Options
    Actually, scrub that - I think I would be crazy. May aim for the one in Leighton Buzzard in November though
  • Options
    naaa your not crazy i have my first 5k on the 04th september i am running max of 6 miles at the moment after building up and have just bought some new running shoes.
  • Options

hi all, apparently my race pack with number etc has arrived today, really looking forward to this race.

Liz - I think as you say concentrate on the 10k first and then go for Leighton Buzzard HM. Liz where is your 10K on 19th, I am doing a HM on the 19th at Cranford and there is a 10k on that day as well.

• Options

Race pack arrived today #24 no pressure to do well then! image

Liz, it might be worth checking the closeng dates for GER and then make a decision after your 10k? depending on the distances your running at the mo a half mara should be do able if you dont push yourself to hard.

Spen, i know what you mean about looking fowrd to this race, ive ran Barcelona & Edinburgh marathons this year and am actually looking fowrd to GER more than either of those!

Amanda, i got my 1st Garmin 405 at christmas, best piece of running kit ever! its made a huge diff to my training/results, def recommend it. 

• Options
    Thanks both. I think I would be over doing it as also have a rather hectic schedule during the autumn! The 10K is the BHF Woburn Abbey Jog. I have read worrying reviews that say it wasn't actually a full 10K in a previous year. But will be a good first run anyway and have raised some good sponsorship so far.

I am thinking of trying the Dirt Half Marathon Challenge in Leighton Buzzard on 20th November. Quite a bit of it seems to be on canal tow paths but I am a bit concerned about how far 'off road' the rest is, as I suppose I might need different running shoes (particularly at that time of year).

Any opinions? Should I hold on and do a road run for my first HM?
  • Options

Hi all

I am number 1750, so the countdown starts now, I have another HM on 19th September, but will use this as a warm up, and am going for a PB of sub 2hrs at GER.

Good luck all

• Options
    still haven't got mine yet image got bitten last thursday too after my run, went running on saturday ankle was itchy like when you get a bite but not sore. when i got back however my ankle had swollen up and was swollen all day yesterday mainly hurting around the bite area/ It seems much better today but am hoping i can run tomorow still
  • Options

Amanda

Sorry to hear about your ankle, when I get bitten they always swell up, I am sure you will be better in a day or so, just be careful it does not get infected, if so go to the doctors and get some antibiotics.

I have also found out that one of my directors is running this as well, and around the same time as me, so that should be fun, can I see a challenge there.

Take care

• Options

Only seven weeks to go, and only 3 weeks until I do Cranford HM, lookinf forward to both apart from strianed calf after 8 miles of a long run on Saturday so resting this week.

Hope all your training going well.

Take care

• Options
    hey spen training is going well i am up to 5.5 miles with ease now so moving on to 6 on tuesday then hopefully 6.5 wed then next week 7 - 8 my shoes are really helping
  • Options

Hi all

It's been ages since I have been on these forums.  I've just received my pack for the GER and waiting to get my pack for the GNR.  My training has been going really well to date and I managed to do 12 miles on Sunday morning.  Boy was it hot and so much harder to do than the 10 miles I did in the week when it was overcast and nice and cool.  The conditions I am hoping we get on the day of the GER.

• Options

Hi all

I am going to try and get a run in tomorrow morning as my calf seems better, and then rest again until the weekend, when hopefully get two longs runs of 10+ miles each in.

Good luck all and keep up the good training, Amanda you are doing really well keep up the good work.

• Options

Finally got my act together and got my entry in for this one yesterday!!!!

Now I just need to hope that 5 weeks is enough time to recover from my marathon before attempting a PB run on this one! But am excited at the prospect of trying!!!! Had such a good run here last year.

• Options

Hi 2btiny - you are also on the Brighton Marathon thread. I am also running this and looking for a sub 2hr if i can so a PB. This will be my second HM, my first is in 3 weeks time, but that is a hilly course and will be happy with 2hrs 10mins, and it is a team work thing for charity.

Are you doing Brighton again next year ??

• Options
    Hi Spen!!.......Yes, I am doing Brighton again next year. image First though I have the little matter of the Kent Coastal Marathon next Sunday. image  Up till 2 weeks ago, I felt well and ready.........but a niggly right knee has me worried now. Bizarely, with all going well right through training and my left knee & ITB clearing up completely.........only to start my taper and then have my right knee start up??? So I fear it will be a long and painful day out. I am doing lots of resting till Sunday......and praying!!!  Hopefully, I will be sufficiently recovered to make a PB attempt on GER 5 weeks later. I need to go sub 1:57 for this. I am sure that you will manage a sub 2hr on the GER course. It is superbly flat!!!!!