Options

The Perkins Great Eastern Run 13.1

Comments

• Options

Mark,  I messaged you. 

I'm unable to get to this event now.

• Options

Thanks for the offer F4rley but I'm not sure I can do a negative split - I tend to go off too fast and then hang on for dear life - the second half will always hurt so i try and do what i can in the first!  And yes, before anybody says anything, I have tried a steady pace from the offset and it doesn't work for me cos I will still go slower in the second half!  Plus this week I have been struggling with the lurgy so any thoughts of a pb on Sunday have gone out of the window really image.  If you see me on Sunday (I'll be in my fetch vest - Kerry on the front, minardi on the back!), come and say hello and I'll let you know if I think I'm up to it!

• Options

well guys and gals the day is nearly upon usimage 

If you haven't done your training by now, it's too late cos you should be tapering lol

just wanted to wish you all thevery  best of running and hope you have a fab day,

thats what I intend on doingimageimageimage

RWMS

• Options
    According to the BBC forecast - Sunday in Peterborough will be sunny, 17 degs, with a light easterly breeze (16mph) image
  • Options

Good Luck for Sunday everybody, I have just finished my last taper run and will now rest up for a couple of days.

This is my first 1/2 and I will be aiming for 1:50.00 but will be happy with anything under 1:55.00 because I have done this time twice during training!

Forecast looks good and now can't wait for it all to start.

• Options

see you tomorrow everyone.

wish y'all positive energy and to be "in the mood". we'll make it a great day. image

• Options
    My first half marathon and I managed to run it in 1hr54mins which I am so happy about.It was also my sons first half' and though he never ran more than 7 miles in training he still beat me by a couple of minutes,I loved everything about this run and feel that this will be the first off many.Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did and see you all next year!

• Options

Congrats Lewis,

Good choice for a first half.... its a great course.... and a great event as ever, with brilliant support all the way round!

Did a 1:43, so happy with that..... and what about that weather!!!!!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Congrats Lewis and Mgna Carter, the weather was great if not a little too hot....

My first half also and I managed 1:46 so over the moon!!!

• Options
    hey all hope your well this was also my first half i completed it in 2:43:50 which I am pleased with but I think the heat took it out of me i was sooooooo tired i had to stop a few times. I am going to be back next year at this one to beat my time
  • Options

Hi Amanda, i think i spoke to you today... were you wearing a charity vest??

• Options

I managed a 2 hour and 4 second run today and I'm quite pleased. My thanks and credit must go to Allison Farrer of Riverside Runners because she carried me for the last two miles.

Thanks must also go to Peterborough Council for a great run, Perkins for supporting with sponsorship at a time when companies are drawing in thier horns and to the people of Peterborough for lining the streets.

I will be back!

• Options

2 h. 4 mins. got what i expected for being lazy and not training enough.

However, people of P-borough were unexpectedly nice and supportive. The race itself - very well organized. Was pleased to take part. image

Congrats everybody and see you next year image

• Options

2 hours 14 minutes...ran on my own nearly all the way, music on.....did anyone see the mad people having a BBQ in their front garden.....?  And did anyone else find the fun run 1k,2k and 3k signs really horrible towards the end!

Is 2:14 a repectable time??  I have never done it before...was hoping for better TBH

Caz 'Wildcats' Dolby

• Options
    2.14 is more than a decent time.Well Done.  I quite enjoyed it myself,nice getting a parking permit in the race pack,well organized in general,although the water stations looked a bit under staffed.Tottally agree with the comments reguarding Perkins and the councll.
  • Options

I have never taken part in a race where there were so many incidents with runners at the roadside (and occasionally in the middle of the road) surrounded by paramedics, st johns etc.. Hats off to the organisational skills which had so many medics for a race that really needed them for whatever reason this year.

My thoughts are with the families of the 2 runners that died yesterday image

• Options

Loftus Road - good morning, it was nice to meet you briefly yesterday, I had a terrible race and was ill the day before, and had not hydrated or eat properly. In the race my legs went at about 4 miles and struggled on, could not keep my pace, was sick at 9 miles and all in all not a good day. My wife and kids support me at all races and they did not enjoy it due to the lack of signs and organisation.

I also did not enjoy the course the contant changes in direction ment I could not keep a steady pace, all in all i will not be ing doing this race again, the only good point was running the last 400m holding hands with my daughter.

I did not know 2 people died that is terrible, my thoughts go out to the families.

• Options

There were loads of signs, absolutely everywhere C&I dad.

As a P'boro resident, i've been watching them pop up for the last fortnight.

i've done many races, and this still remains one of the better organised of any... not sure where you felt it wasn't well organised?... the muster was obvious, the start was clear, the course was well marked and marshalled, the bag transfer system flawless, the finish area well organised, and the entry pack was detailed and excellent....

The changes in direction are IMHO inevitable for a city race. Personally I like them, as it keeps the legs fresher with different muscle actions, and encourages you to manage your pace more carefully as you slow and accelerate.

Very sad to hear about the two runners who died.

• Options
    magna carter - I think you have the advantage of being a P'boro resident, as someone that does not live there it was my families impression that the signs were not good, i would agree that the course was well marked and the bag drop was excellent. I think it is each to their own and Peterborogh did not suit me.
  • Options

Well done to everyone who took part. Sorry to hear about the two deaths.

I hadn't run a half before and limped around in 2 hours 17. Would have been under 2.10 but a combination of being ill with a cold, not enough training (I entered this week!!) and having to queue for the toilet at mile 11 meant I suffered.

I enjoyed the event though. Well organised, good local support. Did have problems at the first water station, literally having to stop and wait for them to unpack water, but it was hot and lots of runners and just been through.

The banana at the end was the single best thing I've ever eaten in my life!

• Options
    I have to agree about the water at the first one.......i couldnt eat the banana as felt the urge to be very sick once I stopped....Is that normal!????
  • Options

Yes that can be quite normal, Cazimage  I wouldn't worry about it. Your appetite should have started to return to normal within a couple of hours.

RWMS

• Options

My appetite never returns to normal after a long run.... it turns into a burning need to get vast quantities of any food substance I can lay my hands on down my neck! image

Joking aside, I agree with RWMS though Caz... its far from unusual.

• Options

I have done this run three times and enjoyed it very much image

although seeing that poor guy having CPR and then reading he had died was very sad

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/local/two_tragic_deaths_at_great_eastern_run_1_1546803

RIP to the two runners

• Options
    My first 1/2, in fact my first proper event - went reasonably well, was aiming for under 2 hours and managed 1:55 image Cracking day with good weather and a great atmosphere. Well organised and I thought the water stations did a quality job given the demand placed upon them.

Any images of the day popped up anywhere yet??? Saw a couple on Flickr, but given the number of photographers in hi-viz I was expecting to have seen more.

Looking forward to next year and earning a 9,10,11 to go with my 10,10,10!

Didn't hear the unfortunate news of the 2 deaths until this morning, very sad indeed.

• Options

Thank you RWMS and Magna....I thought i had done something stupid to myself (well i guess I had!) especially as I went home and to bed for two hours as was really not right!  but then decided at about 6pm i was hungry so had a curry!

I too saw a number of people receiving help in the middle of the road...very scary especially as one of the people who died was a friend of the people supporting me in the race...worked in Peterborough.  And as it was my first race ever i really did wonder if this was normal...to see people receiving oxygen and being looked after on the floor during a long race.  It has made me realise the importance of filling in the back of the race number (which i didnt do!)

• Options

i vomitted twice when i had finished! which i have never done before and seeing those people bothered me...i have had an ECG from the charity CRY who said things were ok but still worries me as my dad died of a heart attack and mum has a heart condition to,,.

• Options

Its not common to see so many people suffering so much...

I suspect it was a combination of a much hotter day than expected, plus this kind of event attracts a lot of people who haven't trained anywhere near enough, and are generally quite unfit, and then go and push themselves in a distance that is often misunderestimated in terms of its challenge and impact upon the body.

That said, the two poor souls who died were both members of local running clubs. Very sad.

• Options
    I didn't run but I was there as a marshall and I'm very sad about 2  deaths image
  • Options

hi so slow i was indeed wearing a charity vest one - sue ryder- was it you that said to me that your run was almost as slow as my walk and i said at least your still running ? I had stopped for a breather at that point?

One of the guys that sadly passed away was a member of my running club (Bushfield joggers) he will be greatly missed by us all