Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Matt - you hadn't exactly tapered for this one image. Pretty damn respectable time considering. Yes the long run was all off-road.

Ric - there was me thinking I'd done well to get a 10M MTB ride in this evening! Not far, but a good work out with lots of hills and  a bit of technical stuff. Getting back into riding off-road a bit having lost my mojo for several years following an accident. I did get stung by a wasp though!

Good ride that Pete as well. You are right about mixing it up too.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

200 is an awful lot of Saturday mornings, well 200 at a guess.

Quietness must be due to SG's hiatus, perhaps his contribution is most of the comments?!

Well done to Dean, SC, Matt for wins and PBs etc. Nice LSR Bus.

After a quiet few months running, a comfortable tempo training run of 10k in 40 dead and a 15.5 miler off road @ 7.23 shows i'm still in ok shape running wise. Club 25 mile TT today in 61:46 which was pretty pleasing too.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, the thread goes a bit quiet, but it takes various form these days. Mostly it operates as a minor 'blog' rather than a cut and dried training schedule.

Schedules fit the week usually. If they work, great, but recovery isn't guaranteed, then it gets awkward. I wouldn't go so far as some as apologising to the coach for getting injured though. 

Hell. I remember the associates of one coach who were slagging off an international runner who'd exited the group as 'not being able to handle the training'. As if there was some sort of prerequisite qualification.

Why not add walking on fire or a bungee jump using rope?

The days when I'd stick in a run; no matter how stuffed I already was, because it was the only chance I'd get for a week are long gone. It happens right across all sorts of activities. That's why you see guys fishing and playing golf in appalling conditions. It's their only day off, that or nothing. Grim.

🙂

• Options

Very solid long stuff Matt, trying to build that strength up for Berlin. Good to see everyone else getting some miles in.

Quiet weekend, ran to the trial Leighton Buzzard park run, which ended up a 24 minute effort as we went wrong on the first lap! bit knackering and covered 3.8 miles, then ran home again, so about 10 miles in all.

Then 17 yesterday up to, around and back from sunny Dunny (Dunstable), averaged 6.53mm, quite hilly so not too bad.

On holiday in Edinburgh next weekend, trying to sort a 20 mile run out. Ugh image

• Options
    Andrew G wrote (see)

Club 25 mile TT today in 61:46 which was pretty pleasing too.

What are the magic times for cyclists now? I cycled back in the stone age when your bike weighed about as much as a JCB and sub hour for 25 was a good club cyclist standard.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I did a TT near Amersham in 63:01 about 10 years back. Great fun! 

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

The big improvement for TT is not really the reduction in the weight of the bikes, but mostly the aerodynamics as well as marginal gains from clipless pedals, better tyres etc.  Weight is only a major factor when it comes to climbing hills!

Breaking 24 mins for 10M seems to be seen as a good level for a club cyclist, so 61:46 for 25M is still pretty decent even on an aero TT bike!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

This is only my second TT and first on the TT bike. I reckon sub 60 mins is the gold standard, the strongest cyclist in our club has not managed it on this course. I think the winner is generally around 59-60 mins.

10m 20-22 minutes is very good. The best bit is trying to overtake the people that went before you and not get overtaken. I went 8th and we go at one minute intervals, I knew I was doing ok when I passed the guy with number 1 on his back image

• Options

I saw a load of cyclists out yesterday morning near Marlow. Turns out it was the 2015 National 25 Time Trial and the winner did 48:04.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Has anyone else seen that footage of Bradley Wiggins overtaking a guy in a time trial from the perspective of the victim?

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I've seen that Ric. Goes past at some pace!

I posted on Facebook a few weeks back about a bloke from my hometown, Richard Bideau. Years spent riding on a mountain bike i believe and I think he's 43 now. Took to time trialling recently and after racing a 25 miler on the Saturday he had a bash at a 100 miler on the Sunday to hopefully get a time that qualified him for a future race. His first ever 100 miler and he broke the British record.

I think he's a builder or a joiner and he takes 20 mile detours to do his weekly shop on his bike. Haha. Puts some miles in according to his strava.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

ok maybe 60 mins is shit then image 

That national champs course goes right by where I live, it's certainly a bit faster than the one we did but still 48 mins is crazy.

Must try harder, or buy some fancy wheels, that's another minute or two!

• Options
    Andrew G wrote (see)

ok maybe 60 mins is shit then image 

That national champs course goes right by where I live, it's certainly a bit faster than the one we did but still 48 mins is crazy.

Must try harder, or buy some fancy wheels, that's another minute or two!

If you look at it, 48 / 60 is 80% and that is how WAVA works and 80% is pretty handy.

• Options
    "It's not about the bike "image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Also I doubt the guy that did 48 mins had doms from a 15.5 mile run the previous day.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

The Richard Bideau story is pretty amazing - even more so than Marigold's in many ways!

Ric - the scariest thing about that video is just how close and how fast the general traffic is moving! One of the things that always puts me off riding a TT is the fact they are on often on dual carriageways that are open,,,,if I did though, and had trained very hard, I'd be VERY happy with anywhere near 60 mins for 25M!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ah, little is it known that plenty of those really fast TT's on dual carriageways are achieved by slip streaming the passing cars.

I once had a nice tow from a skip lorry at speeds of over 30mph. Didn't even have to pedal as the trailing vortex held me in place. Eventually I decided I had some training to do and dropped away. Back to 19mph! 

🙂

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    I'd be nearer 90 mins than 60 if I had the nerve for them on the dual carriageways. Why such variation from top club to average joe then? Is it mostly down to quality of bike and skill/bottle of the rider rather than bike fitness?
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Possibly. On one 10 mile TT I was holding 28/29mph for all but about half a mile somewhere in the middle where I completely blew up. A section of 17/18mph did my finish time the power of no good at all.

As for bike skill. I watched one guy take a high speed bend without getting off the aero's. No way would I have done that.

The bike I was on had a steel frame built in 1978. Weighed 10.6 kg and was so flexible the rear blocks would hit the rims under full loading.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just a brief infusion of text to keep the thread alive.

Having the luxury of a rest day from all effort. I was thinking about a run this morning until I checked the diary to see what training I did after the last 15 miler.

The subsequent days went 0,0,0,0,3,0,10. Hmm. I'll have some of that I thought and bypassed the training in favour of alcohol. I'll try again tomorrow.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Good race Matt, considering the thunder run a few days before.  will be interesting to see what happens to your 10k and half pbs as you train for a mara.  I think you will smash them.

i don't understand all this bike talk but I do pull a mean wheely. image

Last intensive session for me before Lyon.

600, 500, 400, 300, 200 off 3 mins.  Target pace was 1500m first rep then get faster

97, 78, 60, 42, 26.  Very happy with that.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

That's a good confidence booster, Dean! When do you travel...and when are heats and finals? As I said at Longford, make sure you don't get carried away with the euphoria of a championships; have seen it happens too often!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Cheers alehouse.  I fly out Monday lunch time, heats are on Wednesday.  Temperature has been in the 30s! Although was a bit cooler today Apparently.

I'm quite a relaxed competitor so will try and stay true to my tactics.  But I know the event can make you do things you normally wouldn't. Problem is the qualification for the final is a nightmare.  5 heats and only the winner guaranteed a place.  Then all the others times are listed and top 11 go through.  So if you are 2nd in A Slow heat you could miss out.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

The thread is super quiet so how about a quick race report!

Yateley 10k for me tonight and the only one of the series I've made this year. Great running conditions but this course is always a bit tricky. Gentle uphill start through 3k and 3'50k pace there probably meant taking it tad quickly for me! Fast section follows which is nearly all downhill to 7k which I got to in 26'20 so averaging 3'42 for that part. Then it gets tough until the last 500m and lost my pace a bit to finish in 38'29. Still good enough for 35th of over 800 and 2nd v50 for a prize that just covered the entry fee! Race was won in about 31 with some other very quick times around, notably a lady in 34.xx who broke the ladies course record.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Well done Pete good time.

I also raced tonight, Dorney sprint tri, which doubled as our club champs. Slow swim but not disastrous. Disaster on the bike though, clipped my shoes in and when I went to mount and put my feet in, I noticed I had them the wrong way round, what a w*nker!

Had to gt off the bike pull them out, put them on and get back on the bike! Remove that and I probably did the second fastest bike split. Started getting cramp on the bike in my calf and could feel it at the start of run too. My feet felt numb and legs heavy.

Despite this the first mile came up in 5:50 which was a surprise as I thought I was crawling. I kind of just kept that pace going to record a 5:48 for the second mile and I was starting to feel easier. It was very weird, the longer the run went on, the easier it got. I suppose the bike was leaving my legs. Last mile I picked it up a bit for a 5:37 and to be honest I had plenty left. Finished with 17:46 which is only 30 odd seconds off my PB and I was speeding up as the race went on.

63:xx for the race and 11th overall.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Great tri Andrew, when you don't have any bad luck or cock ups on the bike leg looks like you'll be right in the mix with the leaders. Pretty damn impressive run time too given there are some like me that can't dip under 18 even without the swim and bike!

• Options

Good racing at Yateley Pete. Dachs will be happy to see a fast winner there so no regrets for a missed chance to get #1 spot.

Got to try and sort out my race calendar. Our club does the Swallowfield 10k on Sep 13th as part of the championship but the wife seems to think that our 25th wedding anniversary takes precedence. I have got enough races in already but I have 2 lemons in my 7 and want to get better runs to replace those and with 5 races to go (one of which I definitely won't race) it starts to get harder to get 2 good runs out of 3 rather than 2 out of 4.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good cracking on peeps let me try and do a quick roundup of the last 4 weeks since the half marathon collapse, week by week!

1. 2 days complete rest, came back too early, a sunday 8miler felt incredibly draining
    2. A drowsy Monday 6 showed me i needed a proper full on break, 4 days nothing followed, By the Fri i felt no real improvement, so changed tact, sat/sun 2xeasy 4   (14mile week)
    3. 6x4milers and 1x6m easy - still exceptionally breathy, very offputting  (30mile week)
    4. 4x6 so far, feels much better, so much so, that the tight hamstring is now the biggest problem image   2x4 tomorrow, day off sat, 7/8 sun, and aiming for 40miles.  

Sensible progression, that I could literally feel the power coming back week to week. From 7.20pace on the flat and breathing feeling awful, to a comfortable 7 dead pace for 6 today.

. On the road, I've had a blood test, clear.   ECG, looked at, and no comment from doc, passing me onto the Ectocardigram test (due 22nd Aug). They tell me if you don't hear it's fine!

Therefore, although I generally felt pretty fine anyway, the level of strain in the breathing had been very alarming. Finishing a run and panting for 5mins etc. Reading the net, discounting all the super serious stuff, it appears that a virus can reduce the size of your breathing airways, meaning naturally breathing is harder! I'm no medical expert, and this isn't a diagnosis by anyone, but that'd fit I think.

While I enjoyed later wakeups, and the extra flexibility of the week 1/2/3 schedule above, even fitting in a few dates with a Lithuanian girlie  (Labas means hello by the way), the last few days I can literally feel chomping at the bit to get back to usual.

The other positive is i can fit a Manchester drive in this week without having to pish about with the schedule!

If all goes well, I'd see next week, expanding that 40 to include an extra double or 2, and then maybe some strides the week after.

get the Ecto done after that (22nd), and hopefully then it can fully proceed.

All right that wasn't a quick roundup at all, but hey i have been away, I've been storing up!

Dean - good luck on the big stuff coming, everyone else good luck too, keep doing what you're doing. Back soon!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Good to hear from you, SG! You will of course be in Manchester by 9 on Saturday to stroll round a parkrun prior to the match.

Been trying to find Dean's heat results but the site is constantly down. 

Last Sale Sizzler tonight but funnily enough I'm struggling with both a hamstring that needs constant managing, and breathing that is not quite right since the asthma nurse "improved" my medication.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Welcome back SG. Good to hear you are recovering. Virus sounds about right, but what about hayfever as a possibility?

Pete -  nice racing there. I don't like courses with an uphill in the last stages!

Andrew - nice one! Cracking run time especially, but sorry, I did laugh reading about your shoes image

Philip - your Mrs needs to learn about priorities image

Not much running for me this week - double Tuesday, 6 yesterday and 7.5 today. Toying with the idea of a 10k at the weekend, but my legs still feel very heavy for no apparent reason other than lack of sleep!