Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep - best of British Dean!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Dean!

Plenty of miles in the bank as I was off work last week. Just over 100 miles last week and still in one piece, just. image

Signed up for the Yorkshireman off road marathon which falls about 6 weeks before Dublin. Doing it as a pair (2.35 marathoner) and it falls the day after the northern road rrkay and a week after a 20 miler I've pencilled in.

For those who've done 20 milers, would you race the 20, try 20@ MP or gradually try to pick up the pace and maybe do the last 15 @ goal MP?

I'm not sure ivd got it in me to just float through 4-6 miles and aren't races for racing?
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Don't properly race a 20 seven weeks before your marathon Matt.  I would say do 15 @ MP at the very most, and if you're planning an off road marathon the following weekend, do even less than that.  I've heard many a tale of people who ran a great 20 then flunked their marathon.

Running the first 5 miles at easy pace was quite enjoyable, I found, it was even a refreshing change to be amongst the ipod crowd for a bit.  I did have someone doing something similar to chat to though.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cheers for that Dachs. I'm doing a recce of the off road marathon this weekend so I might well pull the plug on it if it's a tough course. 3000ft of ascent in it :-/
  • Options

Results are up for the M45 1,500 at Lyon so Dean's races come up next.

He is in heat 1 of 5 and is 3rd fastest on paper in his heat and there are 11 on paper faster than him in the 5 heats.

• Options

Good Mileage Matt, Good training too Dachs.

Just back from a nice break to Edinburgh - what a great city, especially with the fringe starting. Running wise, did a 21.3 mile run (2nd longest run EVER!) along a large part of the marathon course.ran down to Leith and picked it up through the prom at Portobello and made it to Musselbrough racecourse by 1hr 10 mins when I had to turn round. Hip flexors a bit painful so I had to stretch out a couple of times. Great weather though and walking round all afternoon actually helped. Had a 35  mins jog on the Sunday, before we popped over to Glasgow as Bedford had a BAL womens match there and the missus did a 400M hurdles.

Back at home yesterday, tried a 7-7-7 marathon session. Supposed to be marathon pace-Half pace-10 mile pace. Think I started on half pace at least, so the total 21 mins was a complete bastard and nearly killed me....all helps towards Berlin eh image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Seen Dean's result.

• Options

Afternoon all. Back from 2 weeks in Lanza image

Plenty of gin, martini and beer. Min running and some cycling where I managed pretty much every hill in the island. 550m climb over 10km is not to be sniffed at.

Mrs and I did an 'Extreme Race' out there which involved 10 obstacles, like skips full of water and ISO containers to scale, spread over 5.5km. All based about a mountain in the wind. I went round with her and after the usual tardy Spanish late-start we finished in 1hr15. Easy does it.
    I have to admit these things are not my cup of tea. However for 8€ including a t-shirt all was good.

Where can I find Dean's result online?

• Options
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Where can I find Dean's result online?

http://rhone-alpes.athle.com/asp.net/espaces.html/html.aspx?id=31704 lists all the results.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Come on Dean...thought you'd have sent a report in by now image

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yeah Dean, pull your finger out image

Welcome back Iron and Simon! Sounds fun Iron! As for that 7-7-7 Simon - what doesn't kill you eh??

Matt - difficult question to answer! Dachs is right of course, but it depends what you want out of each race of course! I think everyone should have a good 20M on their CV, and personally I've always found them so much quicker to recover from than a full. Not sure I would these days mind image. Like Dachs though, I know of people who have gone from a great 20 to a mediocre marathon several weeks later, though can't guarantee cause and effect..

Track Wednesday today. Not much wind for once, but humid instead! 5 x 1k off a relatively long rec of 2mins walk to try and focus on the rep pace. Target was 3:30, so happy with  3:32, 3:28, 3:28, 3:28, 3:29. It's a shame last week's 10k isn't this Saturday instead as my legs felt much better!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cause and effect!

Runner spends weeks and months training for a marathon and is now stronger, fitter and potentially faster than at any point they've ever been in their life.

Cue 20 mile race.

A couple of hours later they've emptied the tank of everything they had.

Add a days recovery for each mile race; if you want to recover properly as against just move, and you've just put yourself back three weeks. And only if the recovery rates are accepted, which they won't be. Who's going to jog for 3 weeks now?

So over raced, under recovered, the runner realises it's only 3 weeks until the marathon. Now it's worry time.

Finally the day of the marathon when they run like a blocked drain, wondering why they couldn't run to half way at the speed they did that 20 miler.

And still they do it (race 20 miles six weeks out)

🙂

• Options

I am pro for a 20 miler at MP. That is not a raced 20 miler, it is a bit easier, but not a lot. Next year I am going to have a semi-serous race at 20 miles at Bramley which is Feb 14th and London is 24 April so more than 2 months later.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

just back to the hotel from a decent day out in the sun. image Its 34 degrees and was 36+ at track level.  was hard going

like phil i had seen the start list and estimated what time was going to be needed to qualify and i though 4.10 ish.  poss 4.15 with the heat if they are run slow and tactical.

as first heat i didnt have the luxury of seeing how everyone else did so i had to race it to get under 4.10.  my warm up was rediculous i had to change tshirt 3 times such was the sweat dripping off.

down to the track and its is getting very real.  i have a last word to myself about not letting anyone down and no regrets.  plan was to sit on the shoulder of the fast spaniard who has run a 4.00 this yr and wouldnt find this heat too bad.  but gun goes and its slow, i push to the shoulder of the leader on the inside and hold.  im prepared to wait senor.  a japanese runner makes a burst so i sit on him but its slow. through 400 in 69/70.   im getting fidgity now i dont want to finish 2nd in a slow heat as only the winner is guaranteed a place in the final.

then a spanish vest comes past...lovely about time too.   but its the wrong spaniard.  i go with hime but its clear we will be slow through 800.  so i know this is the wrong tactic, particularly in a championship heat and in the weather but i take the race on.  coming past the crowd its noisy and can hear lots of shouts for GB.  heading towards the bell my burst had dropped all but 2.

hit the bell in 3.06 i feel ok and say to myself a 60/61 will be enough. 

i speed up at the bell and into 250 to go the expected spaniard pulls alongside me.  i accelerate to hold him off.  no chance im i giving up this lead, no chance.  he backs off.  i know he will have another nibble at me in the last straight.  Well i still feel strong and its come down to a battle of the sprints.  he closes again but before he can get alongside i go all in.  i accelerate hard.  i open a 10m lead up and into the last 30 i relax, i know i have done it and i stop accelerating and cruise in for a 4.07.  a season best off a slow 600m and in very hot conditions.  im going for a PB in the final.  

a fist pump as i cross the line and now i recover to prepare for the finals on friday at 5pm.     3 brits in the final...one of them mr whiteman.  

/members/images/549285/Gallery/gb1.JPG

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great work Dean! Easy does it until Friday evening!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Brilliant!  Where can I see the video of this fist pump?  image

• Options
    Great stuff. Rest up until Friday and then smash it.

Thanks for the link PMJ. I looked earlier and saw the result but didn't want to steal the thunder.
  • Options

Superb, Dean. Senor Cabrera probably wasn't expecting that, and unlike you would have had an anxious wait to see if he made the final as a fast loser. Cracking scalp to take, and all 3 Brits in with medal chances on Friday. Hope it's a slow tactical one, though suspect Cabrera will not be so keen to sit in now you've done that to him today!

Some great footage of Whiteman taking off with 250m to go in his heat on the British Masters Athletics Bookface page, as well as some discussion on DR7. image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Jolly good chow old chap! Tremendous! rest well and good luck for Friday image

Can't fault the rationalising Ric, but still doesn't offer empirical proof of cause and effect. You are right though image

• Options

Great run Dean! Hard going in the first heat and you did what you knew you had to do (and what you knew was in you) and it paid off.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

chow??? I meant "show" of course!

• Options
    Super running Dean well done and well deserved! Good luck for the final!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

big pimping Dean, big pimping.

Chap at Marlow years back, called Dai Roberts won some Vets European championship in some boiling hot country years back. 10k on the track I remember.

odd chap. face like the age he was, but body absolutely chiselled beyond belief. Won the Wokingham half before it went "big time", in about 1hr 13. Since then you pretty much need a 1hr 06 or so to win it.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

Jolly good chow old chap! Tremendous! rest well and good luck for Friday image

Can't fault the rationalising Ric, but still doesn't offer empirical proof of cause and effect. You are right though image

Unless I did so myself perhaps.

Maybe not a 20 miler but I reckon a 6 minute mile average 18 miles plus at 3:00am was near enough. Felt like I was sprinting, easy.

Finished the race and legs immediately seized up. Could hardly move. Had a marathon six weeks later and still hadn't recovered.

Dean. Fantastic bit of tactics. Proactive and adjusting the plan on the hoof. Ticks all the boxes. Having ability is one thing, ability to deliver is everything.(I must have heard this somewhere)

🙂

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Brilliant running Dean, makes us mortals feel good just being on the same forum as you, best of luck with the medal quest in the final.

On the 20 mile v marathon debate I endorse Ric's view and offer my own empirical evidence from 2009. 2:30 Cranleigh 21 despite not running flat out, 4 weeks later almost 50 minutes longer for the extra 5 miles of London, gave up road marathons there and then!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Awesome running Dean. Rest up and bag a medal on Friday! Looks as though you've got yourself in great nick at the right time!

Thanks for the advice. So the idea of the 20 followed by a 26 off road marathon the week after is a no go then? image
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Awesome Dean! World finalist Dean Richardson, has a good ring to it. You should always introduce yourself like that from now on. Great time in the heat off a slow start, looks like you've timed your good form perfectly. I hope you shouted 'Hasta la vista!' at your Spanish rival as you kicked down the home straight. You'll get your PB in the final.

I also did some middle distance racing today, but it was gubbins compared to Dean, so I don't feel like going next.
  • Options

Never mind Dachs - keep at it!

Good luck in the final Dean - you'll need to be sub 4.02 to get your 3rd place back from Les in the rankings, now he's just turned 40!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

let me just steal in with a very modest run Dachs, then yours will look epic.

last 3 weeks have gone 14-30-40, with nothing faster than easy miles. and only 2runs over 6miles.

this week is on course for 54miles, added a light "session" today, vaguely thinking 3m easy, 3m steady, 2m MP.

In the end I converted it on the move to 4m easy 4m steady. Quickly realised on the stready section, with breathing still suggesting I'm working harder than I am,  that working any harder wouldn't be clever today. 

therefore, the gentle progressive recovery is going well, but a sign not to push on too much just yet