Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Multi terrain. And you got it on the NAD. I suppose there should also have been a CRAP - completely randomly and (im)properly measured.

in fairness, being able to turn up on the day and not pay anything, for those of us tightwads on the thread (welcome back Bus image), they're like a goldmine.

I'll probably do a parkrun somewhere in the next 13 weeks, somewhere in the local 53mile radius, and see if I can get anywhere near past, erm...second place at best glories.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Oi! I'm no tightwad SG. I spent £5.20 on parking today!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I DNFed a parkrun at the weekend. I was running like a numpty and couldn't be arsed.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

I had a 2hour round trip to Dulwich to smack a sub 17, as it was one of the few that were fast, certified and "5K".

2 weeks later, they roped the whole crock into the term "parkrun". One of my top 36 reasons I dislike parkruns.

Ha! I was quite happy to call Dulwich parkrun my 5k pb for a while, but then sorted out the ambiguity by running 9 seconds faster anyway in Battersea Park. Still haven't gone sub-16 on the "road", mind.  Also, Bromley (Norman Park) parkrun is my new favourite cos they give out free Bourbon biscuits and cake and tea and water.

CC83 - Congrats on the Duckworth-Lewis parkrun PB!  image

Matt - Get in!!  (Again)  image

• Options
    Always see some Parkruns as proper races, Poole for that as its where there are proper races held and it's dead flat. Others like MK Have a bastard zig zag hill in them and are just a blow out.

PP- hope they do a collection for the tea and cake! I like to stick a pound in the box!!

Finally ran over 10 miles on Sunday morning, the usual down past Dean Court (not that it helped v Spurs much!!) to the seafront and back to the folks in Poole. Then 3 x 5 sets of short 30 secs short hills yesterday, a suburban road so steep it has steps and railings up the side!! Looks weird tbh.

Back home today and the bus to Luton later for training.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I didn't see a collection but I did "donate" a pair of gloves that mysteriously disappeared from the spare clothes bucket on the start line.  image

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Had to look up Duckworth-Lewis...

If we're talking dodgy PBs, then I ran 3 (10k, 15k and 10 miles) this morning according to Strava (and a segment CR).

3x 20 mins @ threshold pace off 90s.  Big session and with a 10k race at the weekend I opted to hold the foot off the gas a little.  Normally targeting about 6:10-6:15 pace and it's been at the lower end of that lately as all the threshold work has been on a fairly tough undulating loop.  Went for 6:15-6:20 today and they came out at 6:18/6:21/6:34!  Massive drop off on the last one.  Was struggling to be arsed and my legs were pretty tired, so no heroics.  Still a decent workout.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

(disclaimer..may have been less than  73,000, and was also sub 3.30) ahem.

The issue here is that doing a lot of something is admirable. I can understand people running 500 parkruns or 100 marathons and it is an achievement. Doing something well is also admirable, so a sub 18, or sub 17, or sub 16 parkrun or whatever mark you choose. It just gets odd when you combine the two, so doing some sort of stuff reasonably often and reasonably well just does not ring my bell.

Couple of guys hack me off.

One used to be Adam Holland who in 2010 did 10 marathons in 10 days all round the 3 hour mark but his PB was 2:49. He has now listened to me and does less marathons and is down to 2:28:32 which is more indicative of his true potential.

The other is Steve Edwards who has a marathon PB of 2:51:55 and on po10 states his claims. Great, so he is world best for the fastest 700 marathons. I am world best for a guy called Philip Morris Jones. Make your scope small enough and everyone's a winner.

Extreme multi marathon runner with over 700 official marathon races to his name averaging 3hrs 17min for each.

Stats
    27 - Sub 3's
    72 - Sub 3:05's
    143 - Sub 3:10's
    307 - Sub 3:15's (UK Best)
    438 - Sub 3:20's (World Best)
    535 - Sub 3:25's (World Best)
    624 - Sub 3:30s (World Best)

Average finish time for
    Fastest 100 marathons - 3:02:16
    Fastest 200 marathons - 3:06:18
    Fastest 300 marathons - 3:08:46 (UK Best)
    Fastest 400 marathons - 3:10:48 (European Best)
    Fastest 500 marathons - 3:12:49 (World Best)
    Fastest 600 marathons - 3:14:59 (World Best)
    Fastest 700 marathons - 3:17:55 (World Best)

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

700 marathons eh!

And where have those got him?

As for the weekend. Congrats to all runners, racers, winners,

and er, finisher's.

Dachs, dnf a parkrun. Report please. You sound like the guy I asked after the English National XC 'how he did' and he replied, 'I ran shit'!'. 

He had finished 4th!

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Well, I had planned to do it as part of a 15, ie. 8m easy, 1m @HMP, parkrun @HMP, 1m @ HMP, 2m easy.  Did the 8, couldn't run quicker than a 6 minute mile for the first mile at 'HMP', did 2m of the parkrun at 5:45 pace feeling like I was flat out, didn't fancy barely scraping under 18 for that effort level, so just wandered off and jogged the rest round the streets.  If I was running that poorly (OK, I had run a fair distance beforehand, but bear in mind I've run 16:30 after a similar 10 miles before), it seemed like there must be something not right, so I probably wouldn't have benefited from continued hard effort anyway.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Anyway, bit of an improved run last night.  10m with 5m at half marathon pace.  Realised after less than a mile that my watch hadn't started, and thought it was best not to bother timing it and just run to feel.  So no idea what the pace was, probably around 5:45, so nowhere near actual HMP, but I'm clearly not in that shape.

Good almost parkrun PB by CC82 by the way, the times will tumble soon enough.

PMJ getting worked up about stuff he really shouldn't be worked up about is always entertaining.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, I suspect too much fast running in relation to the rest. 

It's a classic mistake. Have a slightly duff run and decide it's lack of fitness behind it, when it's really lack of laziness.

I watched as more than one runner keeps hammering the sessions convinced they aren't fit enough, or need more leg speed. When what they really need is several weeks easy and 10lb's of brown rice.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ric, in the preceding 3 weeks I'd run less than 40 miles in total, and virtually none of it fast, due to planned rest and then having scraped the skin off my heal.  Not sure too much of any kind of running, fast or otherwise, was the problem.

• Options

Did you eat the brown rice though Dachs?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

No, fair play, I didn't.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Would white rice be ok?  ......actually scrub that...what about noodles? I had a chicken ramen for lunch.  

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sorry Dachs, my crap memory forgot you had lost more than just training.

I lose track of many notes on the threads, though most of the posts seem to indicate some feat of blasting, speed and gut busting.

I guess posting multiple 'did bugger all todays' would add balance to the proceedings.

However, I do remember one speed merchant who after months of 90 miles/wk discovered an ability to win races having maybe not run for two weeks.

Having hit on a time and effort saving strategy, he dispensed with training and just raced.

Worked well until he got injured, then after a few weeks he tried again. No chance image, a price must be paid and even I could beat him. 

As for rice. Prior to long runs I got into the habit of eating as much brown rice (with HP sauce) as I could the previous day. Seemed to work well and I had many fast 20 milers to my credit.

Then I got married and eating a pound or two of rice got me a few strange looks. Needless to say I conformed and my international aspirations were never realised.

It's her fault, obviouslyimage.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

700 marathons eh!

And where have those got him?

As for the weekend. Congrats to all runners, racers, winners,

and er, finisher's.

Dachs, dnf a parkrun. Report please. You sound like the guy I asked after the English National XC 'how he did' and he replied, 'I ran shit'!'. 

He had finished 4th!

Sort of agree, but what did it get him? It got him a world record, it got him an incredibly hard record to match, it gets him talked about by gimps like us on forums, it gets him a pseudo celebrity.

A few marathons break most people down, 700 is incredible scenes.

And this is where I don't really see where you're coming from on some of your stuff below Phil.

This isn't some pathetic record any chump could match if they tried, it's not doing 100 ,200, even 700 parkruns, that you could doddle round with a cigar and your conversation hat on. It's not doing 50 races a year, of which you only admit to about 3 as being target races. It's well beyond that.

Your first example, fair play, that guy was wasting his ability, and saw that, and got his pb down to what it could be, something, that's worth noting, is that it's well beyond what most can reach. Well beyond what anyone on here has done, I think I'm right in saying?

But the second chap, yeah he could spend years trying to turn a 2.51 into a 2.50 or slightly lower, but for any note, who would really care? Sh!tloads do those sort of times.

What people don't and can't do, is 700 marathons! Especially sub 3.30.

Hence I think it's an amazing achievement. To try and say it's akin to being the best runner with your gorgeous full name is just silly.

And ting.

PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

(disclaimer..may have been less than  73,000, and was also sub 3.30) ahem.

The issue here is that doing a lot of something is admirable. I can understand people running 500 parkruns or 100 marathons and it is an achievement. Doing something well is also admirable, so a sub 18, or sub 17, or sub 16 parkrun or whatever mark you choose. It just gets odd when you combine the two, so doing some sort of stuff reasonably often and reasonably well just does not ring my bell.

Couple of guys hack me off.

One used to be Adam Holland who in 2010 did 10 marathons in 10 days all round the 3 hour mark but his PB was 2:49. He has now listened to me and does less marathons and is down to 2:28:32 which is more indicative of his true potential.

The other is Steve Edwards who has a marathon PB of 2:51:55 and on po10 states his claims. Great, so he is world best for the fastest 700 marathons. I am world best for a guy called Philip Morris Jones. Make your scope small enough and everyone's a winner.

Extreme multi marathon runner with over 700 official marathon races to his name averaging 3hrs 17min for each.

Stats
    27 - Sub 3's
    72 - Sub 3:05's
    143 - Sub 3:10's
    307 - Sub 3:15's (UK Best)
    438 - Sub 3:20's (World Best)
    535 - Sub 3:25's (World Best)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

erm...ranting done...it seems like editing sessions on the go is the recent theme.

after last week's 6miles straight MP, I presumed I could walk straight into a 35min MP-HMP job. Woke up a little tired after the last couple of days, and was already telling myself I might just do 1 5min section of HMP instead of 3.

Started the MP a little quick, and even after ditching any further idea of HMP after the first section, I got to 3miles, at 6.01 average, but with the 3rd mile being 6.10, and thought, I won't grind this out for another 3miles.

So took 2mins recovery, then  found myself programming in 8x 2min "hard", 1min recovery.

Hard turned out to be around "Tempo" at 5.41 average for what was around 0.35m a 2min section, so got in around 2.8miles of effort.

So not necessarily what I was after, and probably a bit soon to up the ante from straight MP. Bit breathier than I'd have liked.

So, we'll hold the progression for a bit...just in case this wasn't already the slowest comeback ever

• Options

Ric - Rice and brown sauce, seriously?

I'm with PMJ a bit on the 700 marathons, I don't care but I'm not impressed. It's not difficult to run a marathon once you're at the level of fitness. The fact that some nutter does one every week or two just makes me think he's a bit dull.

I'd rather have one marathon of 2:39 than 700 2:50 plus.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bit harsh guys! Think about it 700 marathons - that's one every day for two years, or one every week for 14 years. Whatever his motivation and whatever the times (which aint bad,to be fair) it IS an impressive feat. Besides, it doesn't matter what any of us think, it's his choice....

Fairfield Horseshoe with the bus clan today, followed by a quick run up the nearest fell. Added up to about 15M and 4000ft on foot, so enough to justify tonight's beer and chips I guess! And yes,I freely admit, none of it counts as targeted training! Was good fun though

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Bit confused by PMJ saying "doing a lot of something is admirable" then slating a guy for doing 700 marathons!  I agree though that he did them only moderately fast and his boasts about obscure unproveable records don't endear. 

Anyway this guy seems both obsessed and self-obsessed so we don't need to worry about him as well!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Was only a joke about 'Where's it got him'?    I was playing around with 700 x 26 .2 miles x where he ran them.

As for the fame and fortune side of things I've no idea. 

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

I'm with pmj and AG catches the point for me.. In that I would rather have one very fast time than some bizarro record that exists because it's not a real thing.  I'm impressed he is hardy enough to run that many races (I bet a few were run with injury worries). and in decent times too.  But im significantly more impressed by matts single run this weekend.

I paced a mate last yr to a world record HM dressed as a nurse, in about 80 something.  Is that as good as my wilmslow pb....not even fookin close.  But ones a world record the other not good enough to break into the top 20 in that race.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

We have at least three in our club who have done 100 + marathons.  It wouldn't float my boat, but they get to go away most weekends, see places most of us will never go to, and enjoy food, beers and company in doing so.  None of them ask for any recognition for it, it's just what they do, but it still seems a pretty decent achievement to me.

Some people like to occupy their weekends travelling the length of the country to spend 90 minutes screaming at multi-millionaires, so we all have our oddities.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

There's a guy in my club who's run over 100 marathons. He's a bit odd in which if the club is holding one of it's Saturday morning races or time trials, he'll do them and bust a gut, even if the next day he has a marathon lined up.

His explanation is that he does whatever race is in front of him. Thinking ahead I see.

It makes you wonder.

Mind you, he also saw fit to kick one of a set of three Rottweilers while crossing the owners land.

And then complained about the outcome.

Again, not really a preper.

My wife says he's a twat!

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, agree with you, except on the footy bitimage

I can't believe people are trying to equate someone doing 700 marathons to stuff like being the fastest guy with a certain name, or mincing a half marathon out dressed as Mother Theresa. Or act like it's something anyone can do. What a harsh lot! image

Anyway...10, sub 7, usual drill. Done until Friday.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Some of the best comments I've seen on here all condensed onto one page. image
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, I'm sure Dachs wasn't referring to football.

My guess he was thinking about the abuse of Ferrari driving merchant bankers at traffic lights in Mayfair.

🙂

• Options

A large collection of unremarkable achievements does not a remarkable achievement make.

Missed my bloody lunch run with work stuff getting in the way.