Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers CC, and good comeback session that.

Pete - Wolverton 5 mile is the one I meant (held at Willen Lake). Saturday 26th Nov 2pm

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Simon - can you tell your mate Mr Kimpton to stop running around the Aylesbury area so bloody fast! He's just taken another CR off me on Strava - a half mile segment he ran at 4:59 pace image. No chance of me ever getting that one back!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Well done again Pete, running a 5K PB after so many 5Ks is no mean feat!

I have to apologise to Bus for talking his ear off with a load of old crap in the warm down.  Must have been a combination of endorphins and Red Bull.  Most unlike me.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

No worries Dachs - didn't notice! (bear in mind I have done post-race warm downs with SG image)

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Thanks Dachs, loads of 5k's but over 90% as parkruns so not as fast as BP. Congrats on your pb too, 5mm for 5k is something most runners only dream ofimage

Thanks for the Wolverton tip Bus; it looks the right sort of race and certainly seems to attract a very high quality field. Right old trek from where I am and an odd start time which wouldn't go down well on the domestic front, but might still be worth it!   

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just be aware that wind can be a key factor there, especially late November.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Top work boys. Bus, presumed you meant too fast a pace in the cool down, but accusing me of being Mr Jibber Jabber, indeed! image

Dachs, ridiculous. I remember the days you were a chubby (in comparison to now!) nobody finishing miles behind SG. Now you'r a 15.30 pimp

Pete, you go from strength t strength...and how about that, a pb when you haven't done a race the day before image Is a fast course though, and i'm being slightly facetiousness, knowing you, you'd have still done that if it'd been a Sun.

Bus, 4 secs to the pb. Given another one or 2 in this series, every chance you'd have done it.

Pete, if you find a 5miler, let me know and I'll consider it.

And Bus/anyone, if there's a Dulwich gang one week, maybe i'll consider that.

Although right now, the hip aches a bit...but will cruise a 4 later, then rest tomorrow.

ps got the Forerunner 235 in the end. Look forward to the 24hour HR obsessing!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers SG.

Pete - apparently there is a Vets AC 5 mile race at Battersea next Tuesday. presumably you have to join Vets AC though

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Sounds good Bus but on holiday by then, almost two weeks with much more food and booze than usual, no cycling and not much running. Will take a few weeks after that to get in shape again!

I'd be up for a for a forum Dulwich trip some time too SG, or Fulham Palace (Hammersmith) which is a lot nearer for most of us West of London lot and pretty much as fast (unless the wind is blowing by the Thames).

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Forgot to say well done SG on the Parkrun WIN. image

FR 235 - what's the functionality of that beast?  One thing that bothers me about the FR 220 is the inability to create/amend workouts either on my phone (via Garmin app) or on the device directly.  I can create a reps session so long as all reps are equal length/duration and all recoveries are equal length/duration.  That's fine for what it is, but if I want to do a mixed session like say:

10 mins @ threshold pace (90s recovery); then some different shorter reps; 10 mins @ threshold pace.

I need to log in to Garmin Connect and create the workout on there and send it to my device separately.  It's not a massive issue, but it would be so much handier if I could dick about with it on the device itself or even on the Garmin app on my phone.

Any idea if it supports that?

I've also read on forums that the built in HR can be a bit dodgy on it...  Have you used it yet?

• Options

Sounded a good night out then racing from  Bus, Dachs and Pete - just caught the weather right too.

Dachs - great PB, sounds like the old verbal PB diahorrea there mate! No one minds do they, we've all done it. Couple in my club are like that all the time!

Bus - I'll have a word with IK tonight for you at training! Wolverton 5? Do you usually do it? I've only missed a couple in the last 10 years or so. Flat, but it has the reputation of bad weather - can often be breezy too.

So sunny Luton tonight - first time in a new place after we were dumped from Venue 360 by Luton Town moving in. Not doing a full one as I have got another 3000m tomorrow night at Tooting bec in the Rosenheim league final

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Well done to the Battersea Massive, all 3 of you  appear to be in a good place being so close or setting PB's

Good luck tonight SC

Nice PRFF, SG. I did groan a bit when I got past your race report intro and discovered it was another Parkrun! I think the main difference with Parkrun is that it's very common for people to be running at non race pace in some form or another. That's also the beauty of it, you can enter a competitive environment and do a tempo, as it's free.

Nothing much from me just a few easy runs. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

almightily sorry Reg, sorry about that imageimage

That's a whole...TWO parkruns now i've forced you to read about image

in a year!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

It's the way you built the anticipation for something more.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

we'll get there son.

probably.

CC, watch hasn't arrived yet, so no idea on your queries! I did read a tonne load of reviews last night though, and more said the HR worked well than didn't. Seems to be one you have to make sure is on tight, and on the right bit of the wrist.

Some testing showed it might lose a little accuracy in reps, but to be honest it's more the longer same pace runs, or even longer progression runs that you'd most use HR for anyway.

One person, who must be from the entitlement generation, wrote something ridiculous like

"at times there's a delay with finding the satellite,a couple of times I've waited 10 seconds"

10seconds! A delay!

Seems to be one of the few watches that has 2 choices of satellite too. The usual one, and some Russian satellite.

Still, this is all for tomorrow, as it didn't turn up 9-5pm today, and our work reception shuts then, so thought i'd reschedule for tomorrow, as they refused to shift it to my home for 5-10 tonight.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I have to wait bloody hours for my 310xt to get a fix sometimes. Well, minutes anyway - always when its cold and raining!

Right, official results are out and for once its gone in my favour. My 17:53 has come out as 17:51, In a way though, that's worse as it's just 1 sec off my PB!!!

Pete - your official PB is now the same as mine image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Russian satellites remotely pump you full of EPO and testosterone, so your race times will drop by 30 seconds per mile.

I love the Battersea 5Ks.  How many open 5K road races are there out there where half the field breaks 20 minutes?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

And they are only £4!

And they are also frequented by a seemingly endless number of attractive young ladies, many of whom are faster than me image

• Options
    Bastard trains. Fecking useless
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Yes Dachs, the field quality is amazing; 29 of 229 (13%) sub 17; 56 sub 18 (24%) with Bus and I outside the top 50 with our 17'5x's  Good to see they had me a second quicker too which is an age grade mid 80's, but not even good enough for top 3 in the v50's. 

Bus, I'll take matching 1 of your pb's for now; you will probably improve on that but I'll never get anywhere near your ones at longer distancesimage

• Options
    Pete. Saw some race results from the Kodak AAA 10k in Wandsworth once from about 1986. The amount under 30 and 35 was astounding. Real eye opener.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Pete - though I would put money on all your WAVAs being better than mine!

You alright Simon? image Don't start that 80's runners being better again or you'll have Philip and Ric telling us all off image

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Trains were better in the 80s, especially if you wanted to get off before it stopped moving.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well here's one from 1989.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/hill5.jpg

Hillingdon 5 miles.

Two broke 23 minutes,

Six broke 24 minutes,

and about a billion broke 25 minutes.

Rumour has it that runners who failed to break 30 minutes were summarily executed behind the Hillingdon clubhouse. 

As for the picture itself.

I risked death from stampeding athletes to get that shot. No autofocus in those days.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Forgot to mention.

If the Garmin is slow getting the signal, I find it best to place it on the ground.

Seems it prefers being absolutely motionless in order to get a fix on a satellite.

🙂

• Options

I like to stand around outside my house looking pissed off until it gets the signal, which is a similar technique to Ric's, ie don't move it around. I have a 225, which I believe has a different built-in HRM to the later models, but it seems to produce plausible readings if you do the strap up uncomfortably tightly. I don't really use it though except to feel inwardly smug about my low resting heart rate.

Well done to everyone on various 5ks, especially the ones that tediously beat my PB by a few seconds.

• Options
    Yes just a bit frustrating getting caught up in more bloody delays, got to training just about on time.

Bus- told IK off for stealing your Strava bit, although he asked who you were, obviously don't know I just said Busimage

Didn't go eyeballs out, got a new course up by the track, did 1,2,1,2,1 K reps half grass half road. Got a low key 3000 tonight, wearing old battered flats instead of spikes for an experiment.
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

10 seconds to find a satellite!??  What is the world coming to?

8.57 miles for me this morning.  Tried a new route.

There's a reason I don't like change.  Holy fuck.  I managed to run on one of the busiest commuter roads round here.  It's just wide enough for 2 vehicles and the thing was mental with fast moving, pissed off cars and lorries.  With bugger all verge in places.  I won't be running there again.  It was only for a couple of miles, but it felt like about 10.  Shame of it is that it would otherwise be a glorious route.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

8.57 is very precise CC.

My Fenix 3 fixes very quickly, normally within 10 seconds image

When I cycle I use two, I can be a mile down the road sometimes before the Edge 800 joins the GPS party.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I didn't want to say 8.5 because it was MUCH longer than that, but also didn't want to claim 8.6 and be a cheat image