Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the endorsement Dean. I'll have it framed and put up somewhere.

Well done on the 10k.

That course sounds a bit deficient if you get held up on narrow paths. Surely there's an alternative the organisers could use.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon, I had to re-read your post there as I thought i'd a bit unforgiveably missed a race win of yours. But I now get you're saying you "would" have potentially won :)  It's one of those races that depends if the likes of Cooray roll in or not, otherwise mid to low 33s is a fair winning time for 400-500 field 10ks I think.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Right, so having had a end of season/run down/cutback type scenario week last week, I thought i'd look back at some base building from years back in the Moz schedules.

Therefore, I thought i'd ease back in with a 2x (2miles steady, 1mile MP) session as a continuous 6mile job. I hadn't been to the track for seemingly ages, so thought I'd do it there, rather than the hassle of trying to find a safe place round Slough to do 6min miling for the MP.

Very cold, and a slightly slippy track probably didn't help, but it certainly didn't feel super easy- the steady laps probably averaging 1.38 (call it 6.35 average), and the MP laps averaging about 1.31 (6.06 pace). Certainly felt an effort trimming 7-8 secs a lap off when reaching the MP stuff. 

Was trying to forget that I've often done 6mile straight MP at sub 1.30 lapping, as this is the start of things, plus I suspect not totally quite fresh yet.

I did think of Muddy telling me not to get too concerned if something doesn't feel easy, or is at paces of previous, so i'll take it as a decent easy first session back in.
  • Options

Yeah ease yourself back in gently. I suppose I should have a little break now really. I think I read Steph Twell is going to have a MONTH off! Christ I'd have to start from scratch after a month off :)

Perhaps I should of said I potentially might have won those 10k's!

On a more distressing note - both Aylesbury and Tring parkruns might be off on New Years day. So I think the double MK might be on the cards. Only a mile between them, so it will all be about the races.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ah the doubles! It was an interesting experiment doing the "Slough double" last year, and I liked being 1 day into the year and having already racked up 15/16miles, plus 2 turnouts!

Not sure about this time round, might be best left as a "novelty" maybe.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

In some ways I am pleased to hear that there is someone else who feels like their body would have a full reset in the case of a month off. I'm sure it can't be completely true but somehow it feels like it all slips away just sooooo quickly.

SG - if you just turn up to Upton and run it hard it'd likely be great for your RB hcp with many other people doing it as the 2nd part of a double with miles in between and all on a hangover.

All I have read about Telford makes the start sound a bit mad with it being a bit too narrow. Isn't the Abbey Dash similar I have read or is that just mad because of the mad pace? Must go and do one of these fast 10ks one day just for the experience I suppose. In fact, this is the 1st year in my 10 years of running that I've not even run in a 10k event. There must be something subliminal there with the mind telling me they are just too hard!

• Options
    Good session SG, doing it at 7:30am can't be easy.

There's an easy double available here for NYD, Dinton 8:30 and Woodley 10:30, only 2-3 miles apart. I reckon I can run to the first and home from the second for about 15 miles.

9.5 miles this morning and a 2k swim straight after. Groin is niggling a little, it's an old football injury. No running tomorrow so hopefully the rest will sort it out.
  • Options
    Good session SG - that pace will drop quickly I suspect. Reg - interesting about the plan you are using building the % over a number of sessions. I guess I am trying to do that at the moment, but more by feel than on any specific basis. Still need to do the sessions though!

Talking of which, I ran out of time for today's lunchtime session and have a big dose of CBA for doing it later, so will have to rejig the week I guess.  Not a problem really, as I did a double yesterday, and so effectively have a day in hand this week. Also, if I do a session tomorrow, it will be after a day off, so will be interesting to see what effect that has.

I don't necessarily agree with the "if you do what you have always done, you get what you always got" argument. Whilst there may be some truth in this,  and variety in anything can be helpful, if you actually want to get back to what you always had then what's wrong with doing what you always did?! 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Exactly bus.
    Id actually only said i wanted to "get back to things", which merely meant getting back in the normal flow after the little break!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hope that goes soon reg. Don't want problems this early doors in a build-up.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Just had a look at NYD doubles; ideal is a 9/10.30 combo but there aren't many this year. M'head /Woodley which I did last year is now 8:30/10:30 (too long a gap, so hanging around ages) as is the Dinton/Woodley one Reg mentioned. Rushmoor/Frimley is 9:00/10:00 which is too close (especially if my daughter is doing a 27 type time). There is Black/Upton which are the right times but the 1st a bit of a trek for me for 9am. Maybe back to Bushy/Kingston or Bushy/Crane but again a bit of driving involved to get to Bushy and join the masses for 9am on NYD. Any other ideas (other than a lie in :) )?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Can any stats freaks see if there's potential to therefore do a triple header?

You'd basically have about 10mins from an 8.30 to a 9, or from a 10 to a 10.30?

yeah yeah, only 2 count for "The man", but 3 would be interesting wouldn't it?

(by runner standards :D )

• Options
    Pete, I think I will probably run straight to Woodley and have a cuppa and a bit of cake in the cafe (assuming it's open), if I do it, or make it a family affair and just do one PR and the other half can do the other one.

Travelling to Bushy seems like a fag on NYD.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A triple seems even sillier, but it looks like you can potentially do one (making massive presumptions without London knowledge)

Peckham Rye 9am
    1.6miles to
    Hilly Fields 10am (although sounds hilly)
    1.1miles to
    Catford 10.30

It would mean  you have about a 30min window to get near Hilly fields and do a decent parkjob that will last for a couple of hours, as most likely you'd need to do the 1.1miles to Catford on foot.

I would imagine.

@phil, you sniffing round these parts? That doable?

@joebloggs
    @curly

@does using @ actually give a notification?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    bus,  why limit to the best one has been, rather than the best one can be.   

thats not to say the best one has been is a failure, but why not strive for better?

which is the point i think Ric was making about all training plans.
  • Options
    I think it does give a message, the only time I got one was when that wanker Colin sent me one!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

:D

Ah yes, it does give one, it says "xxx mentioned you". Although I'd have got one for your first message either way, the way it's set up.

• Options
    Depends on your goals Dean. Currently I'd settle for being somewhere near as good as I was, even though that was spectacularly mediocre!  Being "the best one can be" in itself is rarely a simple statement, as unless you can give total dedication to that aim, and take very step toward that, then there will always be a myriad of external caveats and restrictions that would mean "the best one can be taking account of.........."

I'm personally quite cynical and take most things in life with a big pinch of realism. I tend to have a natural distrust of motivational, zen type statements - my own strapline would probably be more like "be the best I can be arsed to be" :smile:

That's not to take anything away from those who are genuinely driven to achieve their best  - and your own record of success both in running and previously in hockey puts you firmly in that camp. It's the people who are that driven, that break records, win olympic medals and generally create the buzz and motivation to inspire others to at least try to be the best they can be taking account of...... 

It's just not what drives everyone.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Bus,

Cynical
    /ˈsɪnɪk(ə)l/
    adjective
    1. believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.
    2. Concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted standards in order to achieve them.

You don't want this, surely?

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    And on a more positive note; though for the cynics it will be anything but, yesterdays outing brought my last seven days mileage to 97!

A somewhat leisurely affair punctuated by the consumption of cereal bars and quantities of BOOST. Good stuff and cheap.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2011656484

Later I went to see the guy in the hospital to discuss surgery options (pancreas). Good news. No need for any intervention yet. No other 'hot spots' on the scan. And where the nonsense is situated means I won't lose the entire pancreas if it's removed.

The surgeon appreciated me having an understanding of what it was all about. 'Any questions?'

'Er yes. What type of Aston Martin do you drive, or are you a Maserati man'?  :)

🙂

• Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Right time for a bit of a catch up:

Fantastic 10k time Dean and congrats Simon on the XC medals, very impressive times! Congrats on the masters qualification Dean, I think ill be at Birmingham 10k.

SG - A rest should have done you good, you'll be flying in the new year with those magic shoes!

Muddy - No racing for me just another crack at Brueton parkrun. Great 10m time, I almost entered it last minute! The mileage being down has been sort of planned, cut back after the marathon and then had a week away so just haven't stepped it back up to 5 days a week. Started again this week though as need to start thinking about Manchester.

Ran 18.27 at Brueton parkrun on Saturday, it was very windy but I wouldn't say that was an excuse. In hindsight it was very ambitious to think I could PB after a week away and 1 run in 8 days! Finished 7th though which is my highest ever placing. Sub 18 will have to wait until next year! On better news I got into Berlin marathon so my year is starting to shape up nicely. Thinking HM in Feb, either Leicestershire or maybe Wokingham, Road relays in March then the marathon in April. Then I'm going to do some shorter stuff through the summer, try and find a couple of track races as I've never done one before.

Got back to it with 6m on Monday then 12m with a 5m tempo section last night. Tempo came out at 6.23 average which I was pleased with

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Ha! Bus I do agree. You will see I did edit my post and it originally did say depending on your motivation and goals. But I deleted it in case it would misconstrued as if anyone doesn't agree with me....then they are unmotivated and a slacker ....which isn't my thoughts. :)
    i remember a chat in malaga with Simon about visualising the race in my preparation and he looked confused at me like I had ordered him a half lager.  :)

Stevie wh, looks like a busy spring but good to have it planned out with such good events. That parkrun sub will be broken soon enough :).  I'm sure Simon will make the team for brum too maybe a few others...Dachs are you going for the vest?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You're learning about the great ability to misread people's intentions with posts on a forum Dean ;) Especially as I'd imagine a lot of the time some of us read this when half knackered after a run!  The edit facility is a monumental benefit!!

It's sometimes hard not to take a lot of Ric's stuff as digs, but then I remember the kindly lil fella I met at Staines, with a boyish enthusiasm about some lightweight racers he'd tweaked, and thought most likely it's just the toneless form of the internet :)

Talking of which, are you trying to live out Lydiard's 100mile week philosophy Ric. How many of those do you have in you? A few more yet?

Finally deleted some ex champion runner who used to run in our area from my FB and strava. I'd for a long time taken his comments as "banter" and played along. I'd made peace with him years ago, after I'd won some low key 5k that also had a 10k on, (that summer in Marlow days I'd done about 4 or 5 5ks that summer so preferred another one, rather than the harder and longer 10k, not realising the standard was that low :) )  and he'd spent all night on twitter slagging me off about it :)
    (He only recently found out I'd read every word :D )

But he clearly has some sort of booze issue, especially after football games, and has started chiming in with random abuse. He can do that with someone else now!

Stevie Wh - get with it son - wind is one of the best excuses :):) Sounds promising development either way.
    Come and do Wokingham, it's a thread tradition. Although I'm hoping my pace and feel comes on quickly

10 this morn, 7.08 average. Bit of an out and back though, first half up, second down. First few miles went 7.34, 7.24,7.21,7.14 to reflect the warming into it!
  • Options

Definitely Wokey StevieWH.

Maybe "cynical" wasn't quite the word Ric, not according to that definition anyway - though I am suspicious of overt sincerity!

Good to hear about their being no need for surgery - particular after your question to the guy who'd have been doing the slicing  ;-). 97 miles - blimey!

Nice 10 SG. To be fair to the lush O'G, he was (is?) a pretty good runner, but his "champion" status was always a bit forced :-)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Just a really intriguing character, from the "eet wah just a tempohh" if it wasn't a  top run, to utterly annihilating anyone who had the audacity to do the shorter distance at an event, yet making his main name winning low key offroad 10ks!

Thank frig he didn't get wind of me winning that Burnham Beeches 5k last time, which was literally one of the most bootleg fields you could dream of, about 25 others and only a smattering of adults :D
  • Options

Careful with those sort of races SG - I remember back in the 80's my dad and his mates giving some bloke who had won the 2m fun run a load of stick for not doing the 10 miler! LOLZ..O'G's OK isn't he - always found him a good laugh - bit 'busy' perhaps, gives credit where due though.

Good news with the Pancreas Ric!

Cheers SWH - Good race plan shaping up there. I've done a Berlin plan before in 2015 with the long runs banked 4 weeks before, with 2 x masters track final and road relays on the weekends before the race! Worked ok though, got sub 2.40.

Dean - not going for The Brum 10k this year, can't do any of the qualifiers anyway. And yes everyone, Dean does take his racing very seriously. Bit like I should really I suppose :)

Bus - "be the best I can be arsed to be" smile Ha ha.

Training last night at Luton. Bit of a slog after the weekend. 2 X 1600 - 5.33's, 2 x 1200's 4.03 and 4.00 (poo stop!) then 2 x 1k in 3.20's then 2 x 600 in 1.56. Bloody hard work. Just running home tonight them that's it for the week - South of the Thames 'Senior' (7.5 miles) at the weekend in Beckenham.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Alright if he defines you as akin to his level Simon. And obvs, if he hasn't been storming the booze ;)  Great with quick maths on lap times though, I remember being surprised at a 3k to be told quite instantly and accurately what laps I should be aiming for! Which when you're talking obscure numbers like 1.17s and 7 1/2 laps is no mean feat!

It's a chuckle remembering that "offending" Chiltern Chase 5k now. The organiser simply kept the same last 2km as the 10k route, but hadn't bothered to measure the rest properly. Therefore, it came out about 1/4 to 1/3 km too long and offroad obvs, making the time seem even crapper, and was all used by said OG, to paint me in an even worse light :)

Didn't care, I enjoyed the winner's jam basket. :)

Nice to see an old fashioned poo stop in a rep. Plenty of memories of holding on to do it in the recovery period, and then that sinking feeling knowing instead of actually recovering, you were a bit wiped out from said pooing, but had about 10secs to get going again :D
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    some lightweight racers he'd tweaked

Which haven't seen the light of day since!

To be fair, that was my last race and on reflection, wasn't in any sort of condition to do justice to such light weights.

My calf muscles seized up after no time at all, and I subsequently flat footed it the rest of the way.

I wouldn't underestimate the advantage of being able to bounce off calf muscles. I ran a 5000m on the track once where the first 600m were an effortless 72 second average. Then the calf muscles deadened and it was 81's the rest of the way.

It's always kind of pissed me off that there are runners who simply cannot run any other way, no matter how knackered they get.

Needless to say, I'm working on it.

🙂

• Options
    I think O'G  is one of those guys who are open to interpretation! Sometimes what could be seen as amusing by some could come across as quite arrogant and dismissive to others - no need for his on-line behaviour though!

That sessions sound bloody hard Simon, so glad you had the decency for it to feel hard!

Having a day off yesterday made no difference to my own lunchtime session. Work is really busy at the mo, so struggled to squeeze it in and only had time for a 5 with relatively minimal warm-up (old skool!). Did a 5k progressive tempo (though "tempo" is stretching it given the pace!) in 6:39, 6:27, 6:20 and then a 3rd of a mile at 6:15 pace. All a bit slow, but as I've not done more than a mile at anything resembling pace in one go for a while, it will have to do!