Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Always not to bad at school, around top 10 in the school xc, won it once in Lower 6th. Did the town xc, got a stitch and nearly came last (on going saga!)

SG - I've not got a bad 'chicked' record at BUPA 10k - think its a 50% job. Stayed ahead of Gemma Steel and Jo Pavey in my two mid 32 min races. Over 33 and it aint going to happen!

Track last night, surprisingly unslippy. 10 x 600's off about 90 secs, got them down from 1.52 to 1.47. Wore my new cheap Salomon racers, -£5! £25 and got them with a £30 voucher, feel pretty good - bargain.

• Options
    The Bus said:
    It is also not uncommon in US ultrarunning, and there is growing evidence that over very long distances, women have a physiological advantage over men because of less muscle fatigue. 
    I have not seen any convincing evidence of that.

There are two factors in play and they are hard to separate.

The first factor, and most dominant is plain statistics. If you have a million male ultra runners (making up numbers here) then they will lie along some sort of (normal) distribution so you get your average Joe, and then you get outliers and the bigger your sample, the longer the tail of the outliers is. The outliers never fail to surprise me: look at the 100m dash. 2008 men's Olympic final. If you took Bolt out of the picture below then that is what you would expect so the best sprinters in the world should all about be equal, but there is Bolt with a significant gap.

So, the bigger the sample, the longer the tail and you will get better performances. As more women participate in these events, the bigger the sample becomes and the more outliers you get. That is what we have seen in the last 20 to 30 years, so more equality and more racers (indeed more of both sexes but proportionally more women) so the gap between men and women has come down.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Thrifty stuff Simon!

Jools - not sure what TM is? "Too much"? 

Binned the idea of a little track sesh, as throughout the days of this thread 2 sessions, or 1 session / 1 race has generally been enough.

Therefore, couple of easys today, with tomorrow off.

One of those eyes watering due to the cold starts.

Looking around Strava, noticed a local pal doing a HM tempo around a 0.25m loop, not track, loop! Something like 53 laps. Did it about 1min slower than his HM pb! Incredible.
    For most people that'd mean they'd surely have about 3mins better for a raced pb. For him he just tends to leave too much in training.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    think i have been chicked 3 times in the past few years.   by a few seconds on a 5k (she ran the fastest time by a lady in the yr at that time), olympian elish mccolgan and commonwealth finalist jess judd.  the last 2 over 1500 by no more than 2 secs or so, jess when i was coming back from that virus last summer and elish when i was only 3 weeks into training and she was a fortnight out from the world/olympic trials. both deservedly beat me.  i have no problems with that.  in fact jess went out like the clappers and was impressed by her brave start!

not sure you jumped 4.20 at 10/11 SG...think a teacher measuring system was at fault there.  that would be some leap in primary school.

all my track PBs are from school days...not got near my best times since...largely due to the 20 odd years i took off.  but the 16/17yr old me was a fair bit faster than this old man.  i was a county runner over track and xc and qualified for england schools too.   i was always nippy little sprinter but then in 1st yr of high school we did xc  after rugby and it was freezing.  so in footy boots we did the school xc course round a few fields then into the woods, up and down hills then appearing back on the fields for the 200m sprint in.  i was so cold and wanted the warm showers first (before the water ran cold) i blasted round winning by miles.  after that the PE teacher called my parents in to tell them to take me to an athletics club.     Now im living it all again through my kids, trying not to be a pushy parent. :)
  • Options
    Mad Dom  ;)  Who else would run laps on roads!

At school, I was really out of sports: asthmatic so I was the guy who kept score at cricket neatly in those nice books. I took up hill walking seriously in the sixth form and was getting blister problems so decided to harden my feet up by running. I started to run each day, at first a mile block and I ran the long side and walked the short sides, then did it all, then went further. At the school XC race, I came in the top few so got selected to run for the school in the districts, and did well enough in that to get selected to run for the district in the counties. Never looked back from there so went on to run at university and for the army and worked at companies who had lunchtime clubs.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    "No problems" with it Dean, but utterly riddled with disclaimers ;)

And I dare say it wasn't 4metres 20. I remember it being quoted as that, as it could have been a misremembering job, but I expect it was simply dodgy measuring.
    Goodness knows what they were doing for that 4metres 90 kid :D

Although our long jump did have a magic board to spring off.

As for Dom, he'll be at it on Sunday I'm certain. Blasting off first ahead of 31-32min 10k guys and then coming mid teens, and refusing to acknowledge runners with years of experience telling him that if he reigned the start in a bit, he may come higher overall.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    This type of ultra-running is a different ball-game though. It's not just about physiology, major an aspect as that is and its definitely not about speed or strength. 

You need to have excellent navigation skills, a sleep strategy that works for you (the guy in second place lost 8 miles and then had to abandon entirely for safety reasons with just a few miles to go as he got this wrong!). Your feeding strategy also has to be spot on, and in a winter event such as this one, your choice of and use of equipment as well your general mountain craft plays a big part.  In addition though, its about your ability to suffer and keep focussed mentally.

None of these things are gender specific, though some would argue that women have an advantage with this kind of multi-tasking activity :smile:

Right, decision, decisions. Lunchtime today or parkrun tomorrow?  State of my hips and legs are telling me to take a day off today, but my head is telling me I'll miss my lie-in tomorrow if I do a parkrun :smiley:
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Come and do Tadley instead for the giggles ;)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    How does giving me an extra option help me make a decision then? :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    All about the options.
    Like the splendid array of options for my 4miler up soon...

• Options
    Just finished my lunchtime run over West Wycombe Estate and the tracks have changed massively in the last week. As Reg said recently, very dry and mild winter so far but we have had rain and "southern snow" in the last few days and suddenly there is a shine on the surface of the tracks and they are slippery. Definitely not deep mud but a marked change.
  • Options

Yes PMJ - I was toying with 12mm spikes at the Southern, but definitely 15's now, with possible snow early next week too.

You see Dean used to run properly when he was a kid. Not really a level playing field between me and him. He was always going to be betterer ;)

Nice race free weekend. Rushmere Parkrun in LB, then up to Wrest Pk for training, Pub lunch, haircut. The only stress supplied by the footy, Hammers at home. Need a win like the desert needs the rain.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    This type of ultra-running is a different ball-game though. It's not just about physiology, major an aspect as that is and its definitely not about speed or strength. 

You need to have excellent navigation skills, a sleep strategy that works for you (the guy in second place lost 8 miles and then had to abandon entirely for safety reasons with just a few miles to go as he got this wrong!). Your feeding strategy also has to be spot on, and in a winter event such as this one, your choice of and use of equipment as well your general mountain craft plays a big part.  In addition though, its about your ability to suffer and keep focussed mentally.

Really, this is isn't exactly a tale of survival. It isn't even running at 8 hours per marathon distance.

Her (JP) feat is impressive to some extent, but it isn't Joe Simpson and Touching the Void or Shackleton, Worsley and Crean's (my wife's relative) escape from Elephant Island and walk to safety across South Georgia.

These guys had no escape beyond their own efforts. It was indeed, do or die.

Lets face it, in the context of an organised event in Britain, she could be described as *

*(in accordance with the powers ascribed to the moderators, this line has been removed)

🙂

• Options
    SG TM = treadmill
    Not really sure why people are knocking JP's achievement. It is monumental & until you've attempted something even vaguely close then accept it for what it is. Sure there is media hyperbole but that does not actually make the achievement any less:12hrs off a 5yr old record.
    Easier lunch 5M today as a nod to racing Sunday
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jools - not so much "people", just Phil ;)

I remember half the thread knocking that guy  (Steve someone?) who'd done about a million sub 3hr 30 (was it?) marathons?

Do one "fast" they all sneered.

In the scheme of life though, I'd wager about 99% of the world would see the former as more impressive than the latter!
  • Options
    Stevie G said:

I'm not knocking it, just trying to contextualise it. If a man wins a race the press says he won. If a woman wins a race the press says she won and beat all the men as well. If a man wins an ultra race the press says he won. If a woman wins an ultra race then the press says she won, beat all the men and all ultra races will be won by women in the future.

It is a great achievement and should be applauded (and I do so) but it is the media reaction that irks me.  

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I don't think people are knocking JP's achievement. It's just that the achievement is so extreme compared to the average physical experiences of everyday life, that it's impossible to get a handle on it.

The public generally has a narrow band of acceptance based on the running norms anyway. 

If you mention a marathon. It's something they understand; and by virtue of that, respect. If you mention anything further such as a 100 mile race or a 24 hours job, they'll think you're nuts.

🙂

• Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    /delurk
    RicF said:

Really, this is isn't exactly a tale of survival. It isn't even running at 8 hours per marathon distance.

Her (JP) feat is impressive to some extent, but it isn't Joe Simpson and Touching the Void or Shackleton, Worsley and Crean's (my wife's relative) escape from Elephant Island and walk to safety across South Georgia.

These guys had no escape beyond their own efforts. It was indeed, do or die.

Lets face it, in the context of an organised event in Britain, she could be described as *

*(in accordance with the powers ascribed to the moderators, this line has been removed)
    RicF said:
    I don't think people are knocking JP's achievement. 
    You can't even recall what you posted less than 4 hours ago.

0300 222 1122

Help is available.

/lurk
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheers Ynnec.

I suffer occasionally with something called Transient Global Amnesia. 

It's a pain for those around me. I'll ask a question, they answer it, I'll ask it again because I can't remember their answer or that they even did answer it. Goes on for hours unless they (the lad usually) puts me to bed - "either I hit him or he goes to bed until he shuts the 'f' up".

Needless to say I remember none of this.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Is that your alibi for some of your wackier posts ric 😄😄😄😄
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    /delurk
    RicF said:

Not buying it:

Seriously, ring the number I provided or speak to your GP. It's probably something and nothing, but worth getting yourself checked out nonetheless.

p.s. I've worked for over 23 years in the public sector - I basically give a shit.

/lurk
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah the peril of posting on the net, your post held in time forever, to be there to be picked at,

Erm...30mins on :)

Luckily, all my more ludicrous posts (yes, it's all relative!) were posted under my previous login of Bluegill.

• Options
    A few things...

Well done, Jasmin Paris! Inspirational! It is only when you have run very long on similar territory that you can get any idea of the achievement. Completing it would be a major achievement; completing in that time is something else. I ran the Furness Way and The Dales Way (80+ miles) in the early 80s, taking two days of daylight and a decent night's sleep. That was quite enough. 

Jooligan: I noticed that you are doing the Speedway 10k and thought others on here may be interested the old school concept... https://sites.google.com/view/speedway10k/home 

Re SG's long jump etc, the world age records are always interesting! 
    http://age-records.125mb.com

One of my former clubmates still has the track 10,000 record for a 15 year old from 1970, so it must be some record! 31:19.8

Specifically regarding the long jump,  I was officiating when an 11 year old girl broke the then world record with 5:11. I remember it particularly as we were measuring with an ordinary cloth tape measure and had to suspend the event whilst someone went to fetch a steel tape and two grade one officials to re-measure it. It was not fluke as the following year I was officiating at another venue when she jumped 5:43...which was not a world age group record! 
    https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=40806

So SG's 4:20 is quite possible as a primary boy, and as Manchester Schools' team manager over 5 metres has happened on a few occasions. As to whether SG could have managed it without a downhill pit and kind measurers we will never know! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    A 7 year old jumped 4metres51?

A 5 year old did a 5hr 20 marathon?
    What in blazes

But good to know 4.20 may have been legit.
     I know a guy who was athletic and fast did 4.50 and the record some real lankpot did was 4.90...but again..how accurate is another story!
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    4.20 at 11 is possible but how many jumped further in the whole of Manchester last yr? and I'm willing to bet they trained long jumpers and are not trying it out for the first time.  Breaking 4m is very impressive at 10years old.   Unless in the vaporflys :)

simon - come on man...you had the advantage over me,  I gave you 20 yrs head start on your training :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

4metres looks blooming long distance now, so I certainly wouldn't want to bank on it.

The teacher also had a crack and did 5.60. I remember he said to use a technique of 1/3 warm up, 1/3acceleration and 1/3 flat out in the run up. But I just did the whole thing flat out.

Strange I remember these distances so well 26 years on! Bizarre.

That and a few of us laughing at the younger kids doing high jumps, getting caught and having to show them how it was done :)

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Alehouse - well said (as usual). Only my end-of-year-review reputation for restraint and a "classy" response is preventing me from commenting further at this stage... 
  • Options
    Stevie G said:

I remember half the thread knocking that guy  (Steve someone?) who'd done about a million sub 3hr 30 (was it?) marathons?

Do one "fast" they all sneered.

In the scheme of life though, I'd wager about 99% of the world would see the former as more impressive than the latter!
    And we were right in sneering too SG. Bloody multiple marathon bollocks, he needed to find something he was good at!

Dean- try again, I only started training in 2000 ;)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol Simon - different ball game! It's running, but not as we know it :smiley:

Philip - don't let it irk you. Us middle age, middle class, white blokes will still have our hard earned privilege left intact at the end of all this, but pendulums need to swing before they settle down!   

I'm pleased that the press have picked up on Jasmin's Spine race win (though I bet she's not!). Yes they will twist it to their own purposes, but it genuinely is a good news story (even with its anti-men undertones!) and fits so well with the current "me-too" climate, for good or ill. It's also so much more interesting than bloody Brexit or the Duke of Edinburgh crashing his car!

Please bear in mind that she just went out to race, not to prove any specific points, and the only reason she had to express milk at each stop was not about showing she is some sort of super-mum, but that the consequent mastitis she was suffering made it a necessity!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Ynnec said:
    /delurk
    RicF said:

Not buying it:

Seriously, ring the number I provided or speak to your GP. It's probably something and nothing, but worth getting yourself checked out nonetheless.

p.s. I've worked for over 23 years in the public sector - I basically give a shit.

/lurk
    You're probably right. 

I'll have a word with my probation officer about it.

🙂