Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    I better make it clear to the selectors that I'm unavailable for the worlds as I'm busy that weekend. Kids party! image
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

But Dean,  surely you always wanted to go to Bydgoszcz. (De-lurks!)

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
    I better make it clear to the selectors that I'm unavailable for the worlds as I'm busy that weekend. Kids party! image

It'd mess up your Christleton preparation too! Can't have that.

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

ps Phil, a couple of questions for you...

how do i view park runs in the results section of power of 10? And also in the upcoming fixtures, think I did it once, but now despite picking the 5koption nothing comes up.

And secondly, when do they update individual profiles with the times?

parkrun is multiterrain so if you go to yhe terrain dropdown and select multi then you see parkruns. They take a few days to appear, normally Monday or Tuesday.

Don't have a clue who is in the Bucks team this year. Top 4 champs plus 5 wildcards. Not a good champs (http://www.bucksaa.org.uk/results/xc2013.pdf or http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=77609&event=ZXC&venue=Milton+Keynes&date=5-Jan-13) as it seems to be very MK biased.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ah nice one Phil....but you're actually slightly wrong, as there's a "parkrun" option under Type...which I hadn't noticed. The MT didn't bring jack up! None of the 3 options that had MT on!

Had a look at the link. Beat the chap in 9th last December, but then Frankie is 13th, who I've only beaten once when he was pacing his wife! However, we all know form isn't permanent so who knows.

So Stevie, you have to do the countys,  to get to the inters to get to the worlds...i think i'll just stick with my nice MT sunday league, and keep the quality races to the roads!!

Although if that nationals is in a better location then the other end of the country might be interesting one year. Having said that, a northern race and a foreign race would be interesting one time. Almost did a trip to Sweden to do some late night 10k once, which would have been incredible. Unfortunately my pal weaseled out!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey - busy on here tonight!

SG - not a clue either I'm afraid...must record it though to see Seb on the telly!

Johnas - good result. Must be nice to not just go sub 17, but by such a marging too.

Dean - good luck tomorrow! Fingers corssed for a bit of a luck and a following wind to crack that 33...

See you tomorrow Philip!

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Cracking 5k`s SG & Johnas! Good times for a parkrun. Glad you finally squished that 17min barrier SG. And Johnas you certainly have some speed considering your in marathon training are you not? Did the leg hold up then?

The inter counties is normally the last XC race of the season for men, but juniors still have the English Schools Champs the week or two after to finish the season off.

Glad you got in the county team Dean, its the mark of a good XC runner getting a county vest! So PC2, You and I are running and possibly Frank F is running too. Should be a good race, might even get our mugs on tv. I pray for rain and mud but might be more world cross country style, nice grass with a few little bumps.

Good luck for anyone racing tomorrow, I know Deans got the 10k and Ric had entered a race? but might not be running.

SS looks a good taper week to me. Your right to have 50% + recovery in my opinion. Its a weird one because its not interval pace (50-90% of rep time for recovery) nor tempo paced cruise intervals (as short recoveries as possible)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think the action planis obvious for the next 5k effort.

get the warm up a bit better, ie unbroken, and don't do the first half mile way too fast.

Those 2 things should help nicely

Standard 12 today. Will do the route that bored Phil last week image A nice bit of variety and scenery is nice at times, but I often find that just knowing a route to the metre is easier.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    22 miles for me today so up early too to get fueled up.

Seb - leg behaved as I cross trained for the remainder of the week. Was def flexor and not Achilles thankfully. A little bit of PF on the sole of the foot for a few days has confirmed it.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'd join you one day. Early starts are my forte.

Cross thread I think. And cross training I note.

I usually deliver a newspaper to my mother early Saturday and Sunday so any deviation will have to be pre-arranged.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

for one ugly moment i thought Johnas you'd DONE your 22miler already image

Second 6am (or earlier) wakeup on 2 weekend days...not the stuff lazy teenage days were made of...but 12miler here we go!

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Standard 12 today. Will do the route that bored Phil last week image A nice bit of variety and scenery is nice at times, but I often find that just knowing a route to the metre is easier.

So research shows that isn't the most boring route of all time but gets into the top 3 at number 3.

Number 1 is Steve Way who runs mile loops for marathon training when he lives in the middle of the Purbecks (mind you, 26  mile LSR in 2:41 6 m/m pace)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/72755581

Number 2 is Cary Morgan who proposed by writing "Will U Marry Me?" by running round blocks in Birmingham, Alabama
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/232868785

Number 3: Out and backs on Hillbottom Road
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/276897797

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you'd love my 6-7 mile MP sessions around a 0.9mile loop then!!

Sub 1hr 26 job today. Pretty darn cold for March!

• Options

The only loop to run reps on is 400m round.

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-run-reps-2.png

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Re those routes:

1. mad! Bloody quick, but that must be pure mental torture! 

2. Clever, but sad!

3. Hmmm...(the loop around Slough Lane and back via Bradenham Road would make it a bit more scenic! Must just be the irresistable pull of Adam's Park image)

Must admit, I'm not a big fan of out and backs whenever I can avoid them - shows an admirable focus on the running rather than the route though image

22 miler eh Johnas? I'm looking forward to those in August already!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ran a half marathon on a one mile loop. Boredom was never given a chance. Lapped some runners 5 or 6 times. They enjoyed watching the race unfold.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep scenic route running can come in later when the focus isn't on pbing! For now it's about finding a fit for purpose route.

Even when i do a 4mile loop which has 2miles in the route, and comes out 8min average i think..heck 8min miling...forgetting the first mile can be 9.30 due to the uphill, woody, "leap over fallen trees" nature!

Already forgotten the pain of the 5k pace yesterday...look forward to a few more attempts!

What struck me around that area of London yesterday, is how many people you see out running! Must have seen 100 or so within a couple of miles drive unconnected to the actual park run.

Saw a couple of signs for Crystal Palace FC...checking google, Dulwich park is 5miles from their ground, so might be worth a look next time to make more of the drive.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very nice 14M hilly run with Philip this morning. Both scenic and fit for purpose image as the purpose was to do a 2 hour run! Even the sun put in an appearance and after a dry week the mud was the right side of tacky rather than the thick gloopy stuff of recent weeks! Nice glass of Zebedee with bagels and fried eggs for a proper balanced recovery after!

That makes 55M for the week. Target next week is 60, with a tempo added in as a second quality session.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Some ups and downs today in my 10k.

Splits all over the shop which had as much to with the course as with me.

As we took to the start there weren't many runners in the sub 40 pen so I figured it might get lonely out there at times, but on the line I spotted someone who is a 72hm and another who won it the last 2 years in sub 33.

I was told there was a hill in the first 1k so the pace was conservative as I tucked in behind these chaps who knew the course. Next couple of Km were 3.20 ish pace but I sensed the lead wanted to slow it down, and as the the first 3 km were behind pb target pace i decided to take the lead. So a couple 3.12s to take me to the 5k point on 16.27. Back on track, just, for a sub 33 and a 30m lead.

At this point my side starts aching, same place as my injury a few weeks ago, I fear I'm going to have to stop again so i slow down for a few hundred metres but I felt ok and started to build the pace again. Next 3 Kms come ahead of target and then some trouble with the grass, muddy section. I had planned on going hard at the 8k marker but I found I was running on either rutted mud or very loose mud so I was slipping a fair bit. So no chance of picking up the pace on this, then the fatal error, all my fault, the lead car was on the road and i was on the grass but it wasnt obvious which way so i followed the lead car around some bushes to the road to get off the mud but found there was nowhere to run, I had gone off route and it was a very busy road. I spotted a Marshall way over on the left so had to make a detour back which ate valuable time.

I worked out I was a mile from the finish and I couldn't hear any cheers for anyone behind me so knew I had a victory tied up so just me v my PB now. I dig in and seem to always be running uphill so getting to sprint is hard work. I turn into the final bend, sign says 400to go and my watch says 31.56. I have to do a 63 last 400 to go sub 33. So I kick and I'm going well then there is a bloody car in the middle of the road blocking my path, so I slalom round it and take a sharp turn for the last 30m. I can see the clock ticking down, there is still a 32 on it, but not much. I don't know where the finish line is so I fly through the tent. Unofficial time 32.59. I joke with the lady timekeeper if that comes out as a sub 33 I take them all out for dinner. She shows me footage of the line and I'm about to cross it and the clock is 32.59. But events have a habit of rounding up so I ready for an official 33.00!

Either way happy with both as I have not done much speedwork to deserve much more and the difference between a sub 33 or 33 dead is just vanity on my part.

My garmin has me running 8 secs long due to my detour so I'm sure I will break that barrier soon enough.

So first road race of 2013, and first as a vet, a PB, a win, and possibility of a sub 33. Got to be happy with that!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, a quality outing!  My first thought looking at the event website, was simply "you'll win that"

But you're at a level now, where unless you do the real big races you must be in the mixer for this regularly, with the V40 probably a shoein at most races if not!

pb, from what sounds like a solo time trial promises even more too! Great work! Fingers crossed you dip your nadger under 33.00 on the chip.
    (and hope you don't have what I had at a 10k yonks back...was sure i did 39:59, but the results had 40.01)image

• Options

Cracking race Deano! For a seconds I thought you were going to say you went the wrong way and lost it all! A PB and maybe a sub 33 on a not particularly quick course! That and a win over the reigning champ who is no slouch is a cracking day at the office. You're big game now pal. You need to get your name on the start list for the Great Manchester Run, you could run a devastating time there!

This time last year you were 90+ seconds slower on a quicker course. All this after having an injury for a couple of weeks!

A decent racing week for the thread! Great scenes!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great race there Dean.

A good time to note the pattern of training since you picked up that injury.

Tapers are made of this.

If you dare.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Dean! All the more impressive for the various near calamities you had to overcome to get to the finish! I've often wondered how much harder it is for the lead runner who can't just follow the guy in front on a course that isn't 100% obvious.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Congrats dean! I was getting a bit nervous for you reading your report, thinking you had blown it! Great run there despite the deviations.
  • Options

Great race Dean there, lots of things ticked off in one race.

• Options

Good racing everyone. Nice PBs SG, Johnas and Dean. Well done to you all.

Saturday's du was a hard event. When the race is a GB qualifier for the Worlds and Europeans you know that some speedy bunnies will appear 3 minutes was taken from the course record image. 2nd place was none other than Alan Muchison (surely there is only 1?). I came in at 1:16:42 - 20th in AG and 76th overall. For reference a similar time last month at Dorney got me a 7th AG and 25th overall.

Run course was uphill for the 1st km - road then grass, downhill for 3km on road then undualting track until 4.5km, then grass field to transition/finish. Bike was 20km of undulating road. Looks like the run course was short as my first run was 18:43.

I like Ric's view point on the taper, Dean. I tapered the same for this race as I did for the previous du, but all things are not equal. Last time I felt good on the warmup and the bike was a hoot. This time I felt shattered on the WU, and the entire this was a slog. It didn't help that the race was postponed for 2 weeks, so I had 2 tapers for 1 race image

• Options

Good race Dean - like everyone else reading the report I thought you might have blown it! Quicker days on the horizon

Last XC league fixture today, I started off fine but some old niggles kicked in and I dropped back, I think I finished about 15th but it should have been a lot higher. Ground was quite hard and we had some tarmac and stones but still needed spikes for the short but very steep couple of hills, slippery chalk mud up and down. As a result I have a twinge in the side of my foot but I'm sure it'll be fine. My club won the senior mens league for the third year in a row.

I'm now 18 months into my focussed attempt to improve all round and the second phase winter has gone more or less to plan - the additions to the training have worked, and highlighted the next bits to be worked on. I never quite got into the xc's this year, a good result at counties which is the only one that mattered individually, and good road races make up for it.

• Options

Nice one PC - what's the focus now training/race wise? Are you following a particular theory or training cycle?

12.5 miles for me @ 7:35 nice and easy. Makes 65 for the week, which is good considering my long run was 4-6 miles shorter. 1 tough tempo and 2 cracking sessions lead nicely into my first proper taper week of 2013.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Another big week there Stevie!

There was a 71 minute half at Bath by a guy who celebrated his 60th birthday 5 days ago! Looks like he celebrated his 5oth in similar fashion with a 66:42. Amazing stuff!

• Options

SS - Only my own theory! Pretty basic training really.

Winter 2010-11 20-25 miles p/w = 35.30ish 10k and 79 half
    Winter 2011-12 35-50 miles p/w (40, 45, 50, 35 pattern) = 34.20 10k and 75.37 half
    Winter 2012-13 40-70 miles p/w (no pattern, usually 45-55) = 33.50 10k and 73.40 half
    Simply, I've increased the mileage but gradually. A few weeks ago I did a 20 mile run at just over 7 min per mile.

If most people looked at my training they would tell me that I do the standard, everything fastish, when it should be mostly slow and some very fast. For example, this year I have only a handful of runs that avg over 7 min mile.

The bit which actually requires me to some thinking is that each time I've picked a few weaknesses, mileage etc. This winter I have tried to improve specific core strength and flexibility issues whilst still progressing on the mileage. The next step will likely be to refine some of the runs whilst improving ability to stay at top pace. The summer should help me with this as unlike the last few years where I have been focussed on 800m, I will be looking at 3000-5000 this summer - so speed work is on the way (last summer missed a lot of this).

Nothing special really, but its working and and there's still plenty to be refined.