Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

bus, are you doing a long run on Sunday and need company? Sort of long run that is off road and maybe a few ups and downs and mud and maybe a pint at the end?

• Options

That would be good for me Philip. How would a 14 starting around 10.30 - 11 from Chez Bus grab you?

• Options

bus, 11 looks good. Mrs PMJ can go to church and I can clean the toilets and bathrooms, watch Saturdays' MOTD which I have recorded while ironing shirts and supervise the boy doing homework, then as she gets back I can leave.

I am serious about the beer, Marlow Rebellion has Zebedee on, shall I bring a snifter or two?

http://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/images/zebedee.jpg

• Options

Can you came round here and clean our toilet and bathroom as well while you're in the mood? image

I'm sure I could slip down a pint of Zebedee if forced - purely in the interests of rehydration of course image. It's not one of their's I've tried before. Looks like it'll put a spring in my step!

• Options

The big session tonight, 8 x 1KM (1min recovery) My current 10K pace is 3:36.

Reps: 3:34, 3:36, 3:31, 3:33, 3:31, 3:33, 3:30, 3:23. Average of 3:31 image 

The last time I did this was before Leeds and I got dragged round to an average of 3:35 and threw up at the end. This time I thought we had 2 left when we had done 7! Floated round the last 2, felt so easy and a really strong but manageable pace. Unlike last time where I was all over the place. Plus the 1min recovery didn't kill me like last time, it was quick but my breathing had calmed by the time we got going again.

Woo, buzzing after that! image

• Options
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
    Stevie - 10k is high legh 10k. Only 500 entrants and out near knutsford I think. Stoke are in the midlands 12 stage but its the same week as wilmslow hm so I will miss it. But I will run in the nationals should we qualify.

The field is usually not the best in that race so you might come home with a pot! Not heard much about it so will interesting to hear what the course is like.

• Options
    Stevie see wrote (see)

The big session tonight, 8 x 1KM (1min recovery) My current 10K pace is 3:36.

Reps: 3:34, 3:36, 3:31, 3:33, 3:31, 3:33, 3:30, 3:23. Average of 3:31 image  image

Great session there: do you do the minute standing still or jog? I find 1000s hard as you end up at the 200 break so I like to jog 200 and then all the reps are the same and you don't get some windy ones and some wind assisted (though I have done them back to front so start at the 200m point to get them all wind assisted).

bus, enthusiasm for cleaning goes once I am in running kit.

• Options

Standing recovery, no wind so reps were even effort wise. I knew where I was as I took the even reps and my training partner too odds, so I ended finishing on the back straight every time. Nice and easy to remember!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Stevie see wrote (see)
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
    Stevie - 10k is high legh 10k. Only 500 entrants and out near knutsford I think. Stoke are in the midlands 12 stage but its the same week as wilmslow hm so I will miss it. But I will run in the nationals should we qualify.

The field is usually not the best in that race so you might come home with a pot! Not heard much about it so will interesting to hear what the course is like.

it was won in 32.4x last yr and 2nd was 33.3x i think, so if i run to potential i should be towards the sharp end unless some speedsters come for some glory.  At least now i have the v40 pot to chase as a backup image 

but more importantly your session tonight has the feel of a new page turned in the Stevie See book of chasing PB's.  Thats a serious session off those recoveries...trafford 10k cant come quick enough

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Well a first for me tonight. 10 x 300 off 90 seconds with the local club in the town im working. I don't recall ever doing a session where the recoveries were nearly twice as long as the reps. A couple of 50 sec reps with the majority at 48/49 with two at 47 towards the end. They do longer stuff on Tuesdays so will be training with them again.

Working away at our place used to be 8 pints, the lap dancers then a curry most nights of the week. what's happened to me?image

Great session Stevie! Once Trafford is out of the way I think I'll try that session in the lead up to Salford 10k. Looks a toughie.
  • Options

Replacing laps for laps eh Matt? Alwys seems a weird session where the recoverises are longer than the efforts - sure there's a reason, but always seems like a bit of time wasting.

Stevie - fantastic session! Even without that last 3:23 it would have been impressive, but that's the icing on the cake after 7 previous 1k hard efforts under the belt already!

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Good work all!

Matt its my understanding that in fast speed repetition work the recoveries are irrelevant. You can have as long as you want. You simply need to be recovered enough to run the next rep at the same speed. I;ve run at St Ives oncw or twice, cant remember much about it though!

Storming 1K intervals SS, great pace with those nice short recoveries! When you mean standing recovery do you jog just a little bit to keep the legs from seizing up? or literally just stand there!  I need to hit the track soon as its been months since last track session.

Nice 800's from Dachs, PMJ and the Bus! 10 x 800 Dachs is fairly excessive eh at 5k ish pace!, I struggle to do more than 8. Phil getting some pace back in the legs by the look of it and Bus they look faster than you'd normally do so good job.

3 x 1.7m tempo tonight on a little hill loop. 2:15 recovery. Very consistent at 5:42min/mile, really happy with that. 8secs per rep faster than few weeks ago when I was just coming back from injury time off. Feel like Im starting to overcome the ankle issues thank god.

Unlucky on the Achilles Johnas, Damn thing cost me 13days so far this year!  hopefully you'll be luckier.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Thanks Seb... fingers crossed it's not actually the Achilles. I think it was a flexor digitorum strain, presenting in the lower calf. A couple of days of non impact x-training on the bike, icing and rest seems to have sorted the blighter out so Parkrun is on tomorrow

• Options
    Smash it up Johnas. image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah Johnas make sure you smash it!

Stevie, I wonder if you could even tickle the balls of a sub 35? image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

May be not quite yet, but moving swiftly towards it I'd say!

fast session that Seb. How was the perceived effort level for those - comfortably hard?

Better run to the train today - 45 secs per mile quicker than Tuesday for almost the same 7.5M route. On the downside, the sciatica is pretty bad today and even the nurofen doesn't seem to be working. Hopefully it'll just vanish as quick as it came as it has the last couple of times I've had it. It's never been as bad as 2006, and since the regular swiss ball regime it's very rare these days.

• Options
    Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/london_forecast_weather.html

Looks a bit nippy for Battersea Park eh Ric? ;-)

PMJ - even though we got absolutely spanked, I genuinely think the glory of them reaching the final has inspired a lot of folk. Especially with how generally vile a sport football has become of recent years. I was before but now even moreso am incredibly proud to be a Bradford fan.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

RJ

Does look a bit on the low side but there's another reason I probably won't do the race.

A set of swollen glands in my neck and a slight lack of interest in training much over the past four days has set a couple of alarm bells off.

Not the condition in which to take on a 10 mile race.

Shame really, that course has to be the fastest around.

🙂

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Get well soon Ric

Nice to see you, to see you, nice RJ

Iron - we'll see but I'll give it a bloody good go

SG - see you tomorrow mate. You've got my number so call me when you get there.

Bus & Phil - enjoy the long run and well deserved Rebellion. One beer I miss since moving to Kent

Everyone else, whether racing or resting, have a good 'un!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Thanks J.

Starting to wear a bit thin all the missed races. But I've missed them before, sometimes for several months.

Good luck with any races over the weekend guys.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Johnas - have a good one tomorrow. I'm sure there are plenty of good beers in Kent to help you get over the Rebellion!

Bad luck Ric - let's hope you nip whatever it is in the bud.

SG - lost track! Are you doing the same pArKrUn as Johnas tomorrow? 

Another good run home tonight - 5.6M xc in the failing light in 7:58 pace - same run tuesday was 9.30 pace (albeit the second half was with a headtorch). In a way, it's a shame I decided not to do the Berko half on Sunday! Probably for the best though - my back would really suffer after that 2M downhill finish!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus,yep, it'll be like the summer of about 09 when we had a few duals over 5k.

And remember, the PARKrun is not a race, despite people who love them insisting on quoting time and position.image 

When were you ever planning on sneaking a half marathon in!?

Ric, maybe this explains the not wanting to race in the cold all along? Having some low lying bug this whole time?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, you could be right. 

A curious lack of motivation to go the extra yard often hides things. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Yeah Johnas make sure you smash it!

Stevie, I wonder if you could even tickle the balls of a sub 35? image

Naughty! Don't be daft fella! The target was, and still is sub 36 again.

Seb, a little shuffle around the start area to stop me from getting stiff.

Good luck to the park runners tomorrow.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good luck for tomorrow then!

As for the half - I did think semi-seriously about Berko after Wokingham. Despite the fact its quite hilly, I know a couple of runners who PB'd on it last year bizarrely. It was actually a PB course for me back in 2005 as well (the only time I've done it), which I then beat at Marlow of all places (shows the progression I was on back then!). Realisticaly though, and with the benefit of cooling down from missing the PB at Wokingham, it was never a realistic option!   

Stevie - you've done the sub 36 mate, so sub 35 is the only way to go now image

• Options

I think after Wokingham Bus, you'd have been onto a hiding to nothing there. HMs are tough, I'm only 2 at most this year. Maybe only one in September when I do Bristol (probably).

Anyone got any tasty sessions tomorrow? I'm doing a 4 mile tempo, this time not at 10k pace!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to the parkrunners. I can see a sub 17 from SG. image I've managed to her out every morning this week for 4 miles at easy pace then out everynight too.

I did 7 @6.30 average tonight but started at 7.15 first couple of mile then wound it up and finished with a couple at 6. i just fancied a good stretch out as I will only be doing an easy 4 tomorrow. Managed to squeeze 48 miles in this week (Mon onwards) so pleased with that. no long run either but should still edge over 60.

easier week next week in prep for Trafford.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, you're right, half marathons are tough work. It's bizarre how different to 10milers they are.

For instance, 2x10miler over 2 weekends last Autumn, no problem. 2 halfs over 5 weeks this spring, vetoed. And I'm glad now, as I find once you've smashed one, you lose the impetus to want to go and do that again for a long old time.

I did the Wycombe half 5 years in a row 02-06, missed a year, and then from 08 a new 10k had been created. I'm so glad, as I feel duty bound to race what is such a local race, but a hilly, potentially hot half where you won't get close to your pb doesn't feel a great idea these days!
    There is still a nag about doing it though, Marlow half too. but that one would be an even sillier choice. Super tough course, usually nasty conditions, and right in the XC series. Besides, I strangely love marshalling it!

Up at 5.55 today! Shocker.image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You've got to get used to doing a 5k on no breakfast SG!  5.55 am starts are gonna hurt on a Saturday!

It's odd with halves, recovery wise. There can sometimes be no rhyme or reason as to how it affects you.  This year's Wokingham seemed to have quite a long lasting effect, but two years ago I ran my 20M pb just a week later, last year after Paddock's Wood my diary shows a big week with some fast running straight after and I've done 5k races 2 days after Wycombe in the past! Marlow on the other hand always leaves me messed up for a while afterwards!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Hope the parkrunning went well for SG and Johnas. Parkruns are odd things in a way, I've run 7, but only ever did myself any form of justice in one, which is my fastest by a massive 50 seconds.

Anyway, despite now having one just in front of my house (watching it finish from my window as I type), I am out of parkruns for the foreseeable future. My eldest has started violin lessons, at 9.15 on Saturdays, so while my wife takes him, I have to look after the other one, and watch my local rivals from my window.