Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Good news Dean - crack on!

Steak and stilton pasty Iron? What's that all about? Impossible to eat stilton without a glass of port!

Perhaps the steak is soaked in port? This is now making me look forward to Christmas. You'll probably be on another holiday then Bus. Are you a teacherimage

• Options

Great news Dean image hope you had a good race at NSCC

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Dean - great news.  Just read back on what's been going on and it sounds sort of similar to what I experienced after an ECG as part of a fitness assessment earlier this year, which "suggested" the possibility of left ventricular hypertrophy (nice!), but got the all-clear after a full echocardiogram.  (At least I assume I did, the GP never got back to me!)  image

• Options

Good news Dean. Parkrun for me today... 3:42, 3:53, 3:48, 3:57, 3:54... 29th overall & 1st place female (For the first time!!). All the good runners were competing in the national relay XC I'd imagine!! 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Great news Dean. straight back into the deep end or are joyous going to just go steadily away training wise? 

Congrats Scottish, hopefully the first of many. 

Been a steady week this week with just one session as I've been working down Watford. Legs were a bit heavy after Sundays run and all my runs have been on a treadmill this week in Watfords Hilton hotel. Got a few funny looks running 3 x 2 mile intervals at 5.20 pace in a tiny gym and wearing my even tinier running shorts. 

Had the option of gym, sauna, steam room and pool but didn't do anything but run all week. Got a 10k tomorrow. Hopefully I can pace it better and not die in the last mile again. Weather looks horrific mind you. I like running in the rain but not over keen on 20mph winds. Good luck to anyone else racing. 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Cheers all.   

Congrats on the win Scottish 

my Xc today was an interesting race. started well but started to have negative thoughts after about a mile. Was well placed though. Through the bog and it nearly took my spikes off.  moved through the crowd and was a good place to attack, but still wasn't feeling myself. 2nd lap and nightmare! I lost my spike in the bog. I retrieve it and take time to undo the double knot and put them on securely. I've lost a lot of time And loads of places. I briefly consider dropping out as all things considered.  But I need races to get myself back to normal. So I carry on. I'm now in amongst people I have never raced before. This should be fun. I decide to work through steadily rather than blast it to regain places. Got into some good battles as people didn't want to let me drop them. Into the last lap and the bog again! No problems, I even manage a wry smile. I'm working through lots of people and can see some regular faces to chase down. So I put some bursts in to reel them in. Last 800m and I go hard. No negative thoughts now. Dropping people and my sprint in was excellent. Last half mile in difficult conditions was 5.20 pace.  Finished 23rd (was 5th last race) ave pace 6.10. Was beaten by lots of people for the first time but Give me a fortnight and I will be normal again.

best comment afterwards from someone who didn't know about my last few weeks said " what's up deano, didn't look Like your heart was in it" I had to laugh.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great result Dean.

Confidence booster I'm sure.

Next race out there'll be several runners with boosted confidence simply because they think they might have the edge on you.

I imagine after that race their confidence levels will be reduced somewhat.

Of that I'm confidentimage

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

you have captured exactly how I feel ric image

LSR out at 7am for 12m ave pace was 6.51.  A hilly course too

• Options

Nice one Dean!

It's nice to see a race from a different POV once in a while. Buy some gaffa tape.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, you've teased a few people, so next time you can cruelly kill their belief they're now better than you! Not a good feeling is it, being beaten by people you know you're normally faster than, even if you had pretty good reason this time!

And a cracking long run too. all the most committed runners do their long runs at 7am image

Got my 14 in too. 6.57 pace job. Didn't bother with the gruelling hilly woods bit in the middle this time, so just the standard road ups and downs.

Last 3 weeks have been 70, 71.5, 73 now, that feels good.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice parkrun win too scottyimage

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Just back from a 10k. aim was 5.20-5.25s. First mile is flat and came in at 5.26. Second mile is a massive downhill stretch that came in at 4.56. 

Two miles of uphill into the wind and rain and I took it on. After a mile or so I noticed I had one lad tucked right in behind me using me as a wind break with the rest of the field dropping back. I kept moving out so he'd take it on but no joy, slowed but he just slowed too. Haha. 

Then heard a big thud and turned round to see him face down on the Tarmac! He was that close he didn't see the barrier. I slowed and beckoned him on and he then tucked in behind me again!!! Haha. i kicked at 800 or so but he covered in then he went with 400 to go and he opened a gap. finished in an appalling 35.06 but a number of factors rolled in. Finished thinking I still had more in the tank but the wind and rain seemed to play a big part. 

onto the next one! 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I was running well over 6 min miles up the hill! Haha. 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Been tracking Johnas in Frankfurt. Be interesting to hear his report, hope his gaffa taped Garmin held out.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Frankfurt Marathon - I'll keep it brief as for anyone that's seen the splits, they speak for themselves (#1603)

Got to start coral too late in hindsight and knew as soon as I saw the 50 year old German men around me wearing buffs, it was going to be a tough 5k to get on pace! As predicted, slower than target and decided to claw it back slowly over the next 5k and went through 10k more or less bang on target.

Target pace was 3.46/3.47 min per km and as the splits show, kept it tight right up to 30km as per plan. Problem with starting so far back though, was I was always running on my own which wasn't very nice when wind and rain arrived at half way mark.

Now the work was to start. Felt good aerobically but as I went through 32km what's that? Cramp? Not now! I'd taken gels every 30 mins, drank at every water station, this shouldn't happen. But it did in hamstring and calf. I knew if I stopped to stretch, it'd be game over so I just had to slow down with the aim of finishing.

Those last 5km tough and the headwind at times was just horrendous - made me feel like I was just running on the spot.

At 40k I knew the sub 2.40 was gone and the aim was to just try and PB. With gritted teeth crossed the line in 2.42.47. PB by 48 secs. That's marathon running. Think I'll concentrate on the short stuff for a while
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Dean - great news and top running in circumstances. Sure you'll be back up to speed (pun intended) before too long

Dachs - the klebeband fell off pretty quickly yesterday on breakfast run so didn't risk and bought a new one at the expo!

Scotty. - congrats on being first home at ParkRun

Matt - nice comeback race. You've still got it
  • Options

Johnas... Having done a 10k this morning, and witnessed the conditions, you've got to be more than happy with your time... Won't be many PB's run today... Johnas fantastic result mate....

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Damn, just lost another long post!

Johnas, great time. I know you will be disappointed as you are defintely in sub 2.40 form, but as yousay, that is marathon racing. Not so easy to do anotfr one so easily as other races is what makes it so hard.

Dean, after the recent scare, it mus be good to have got that under your belt.

Matt, sounds like a good result in difficult conditions.

Scottish, good parkrun.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

First run since Abo for me this morning. 4.5M fell run up a hill called Dodd in very wet and windy conditions. I was joined by a couple of lads from Keswick ac on the descent, which made for a good chat!

Legs were fine until I hit th tarmac at the end to the apartment, so that was long enough...

After some bacon and eggs though, I went back up the same hill with the family, so legs are abit tired now. Sitting, looking at the view from my apartment window.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Got some appreciation from one of the marshalls. 

Great running Johnas. I'm certain itll set you up for some quick times over the short stuff. 

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Johnas - Great result mate, PB in those conditions is a good day at the office in anyone's books. Enjoy the steins and wursts this evening.

Bus - Cracking route for a morning run out, something about running the fells in shit weather that makes it all the more satisfying. How are the legs doing now after Abingdon - recovered?

My morning run out today was a comfy 10 on the IOW, slightly breezy and a few mild inclines... Nothing to report aside from a rather large crab pasty for lunch washed down with a few Doom ales

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice lunch Slinkz!

Legs are Ok, but I suspect still a bit susceptible to injury, so want to take it easy. Off for a sauna and jacuzzi in a moimage

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cracking time Johnas, especially as you don't seem too happy with it. Amazing standard you now set!

Thought i'd seen you finish on the tracker Jock Itch linked to on fb, but turns out It was actually some random. Whoops. Enjoy the post race recovery.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Matt - a decent 10k in what sounds far from ideal conditions.  The fact you have gone sub 16 5k tells us you have a low 33 if not better in you once everything comes together.

Johnas - your training couldn't have gone any better. It was, like Dachs too, a great build up and it sounds like the conditions were the only reason you slightly missed your target. However a PB should make you proud and the thought of what you are about to do to your other PBs is frightening. Good work. 

• Options

It says it all when folk on here are gutted with a 35min 10K and a 2:42 mara! Johnas, you're in great shape and when you said cramp I feared for the worse but to only miss your target by 2 mins is a great result. Another championship time, cannot grumble! I heard conditions weren't perfect out there.

Some good mileage there SG! I hit 70 this week but back down to 60 now I'm at work again. Plus, it's the National XC relays on Saturday. Cracking event.

Dean, great new on the ticker and you got that first race back out of the way nice and quick to stop any dwelling. I'm not doing anymore Staff races I'm concentrating on the Manchester League.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Ss- cant talk you into racing @ leek? Nice and flat image

• Options

The XC? That course is mad as batsh**! XC my arse it's a fell race! 'Might' do it... might.