Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Stevie G ....14 miles before work and 70 mile a week , must be time you did a marathon  soon ?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

almost thought it had snuck under the radar there Leslie image

• Options

Its all about the marathons image

• Options

70 mile week.. good going SG!!

8 miles easy for me yesterday @ 4:50/km.
    13 of hills this morning with 50 minutes of fartlek (1min fast/1min average)

Got some serious sore calves going on after Monday's track, but going to make my XC debut on Sunday...!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

scottish, I make that a race Saturday, track Monday, fartlek today, and a race at the weekend!  (and that's if there's no quality thur-sat)

Are you doing too much quality here? I think i remember you saying you were constantly knacked...

this might be why!

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Hello there strangers!

Don't even know where to begin with everything that's been going on.

Best start with the Marathon boys! Sounds like you had a particularly tough one Bus, good on you for bringing it home under the 3hrs. Don't like the way you mentioned it sounded tough at 8miles in. That's 18miles of hurt still to go! Chin up mate. What are you plans moving forwards?

Dachs just a smidge over 2:40, got to be pleased with that one! Shame you took it out a tad fast, clearly it is very easy to just shave a few extra seconds off target each mile, banking time SG style, but in a long race and with a target thats in the unknown, it just caught up with you. Seems a real balancing act to get things perfect. Either way, Stella job! Is VLM on the cards or can't that be contemplated right now?I wonder whether it is really impossible to do a negative split and purposely start slower than target.

Johnas tough luck missing your target, but big PB! cramp can't have been pleasant when so much effort goes into the build up and you just want a smooth run. Probably missed previous comments but what did you generally think of the course, would you do it again? I have been to 'dam several times but it wasn't for the marathon. Interesting place, I'm sure the post run beers were spot on.

I noted a good 5miler at the counties from you Matt and a tough 10k with an epic fast start, you loon!

At least that ECG scan turned out good Dean, you still coming south next weekend for XC or will u wait for a return of top form?

Good miles SG, bit jealous of that! Struggling here with hamstrings but could be Sciatica. Got chiropractor tomorrow. So only 5 and 20 miles last two weeks, but as rest not really helped have got back to normal training this week, impatient as ever.

Whilst I was abroad I proposed to my girlfriend at the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, she said Yes image and we had a great holiday, back in blighty now though!
  • Options

congrats Seb on the proposal. You need to get a pre-nup signed up: it is surprising how easily they forget that 6 or 7 runs a week is normal and not excessive.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Congrats Seb! 

Great mileage and long run SG. On my double days I plod a 4 about 6.30 am and that can be hard work. I wouldn't contemplate a 14 before work as my productivity would be zero. image 

The speed will be back Dean. could it be a confidence thing? 

• Options

I know speed is relative but those reps are nothing to worry about, even though fitter in the winter, I find shorter reps are slower than the summer. It's less habitual I guess.

Congrats Seb! Depressingly, I feel a hundred miles from marriage at the moment!

Savage tempo sess last night and feeling sick made for only a 4.5 recovery tonight. I feel drained.

P.S - I entered the 'Target 26.2' -  no chance I'll get in but would be amazing if I did!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Congrats Seb. Sounds one of my personal nightmares, but for many it's the ultimate dream. So enjoy!

Stevie, that sounds like ugly marathon talk to me...

• Options

Good reps Dean.

Congrates Seb. Enjoy the runs whilst you can. You had such a promising career...image

Glad to see you did the 14miler this morning SG. Not one for me though.

Track at lunch today 400/600/800/1200/800/600/400 with 400m RI. A hell of alot harder than last week's 12x400m. Probably due to the threshold turbo last night. Ended up being 85s, 2:12, 2:59, 4:40, 2:58, 2:10 & 86. Most bang on or a second or two under. 800s were the hardest for some reason.

Tomorrow will be an easy bike after a day trip to Essex. Listening to my body!

• Options

Oh, forgot to post a Selfie for Dachs of some busy tri clothing:

/members/images/553795/Gallery/shoes_sm.jpg

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Seb-proposal on the Leaning Tower of Pisa eh? You old smoothie! Congratulations! Hope that sciatica sorts itself out...

Dachs, glad I'm not the only one with heavy legs still.

Iron, nice session-not so sure abou the photo image

Dean,not quit up to your standards just yet, but still fast by most!

Scottish, not surprising you feel tired with that schedule.

SG, sorry, missed the significance of that session earlier. An early morning 14M at under 7mm pace, and ending feeling you could have gone on and on is a good pace to be! Hope you have got some quality races lined up before too long.

Pretty sure I won't be doing Marlow half this Sunday. It might be ok to shuffle round, but I wouldn't do it justice, could end up injured and I want to get a couple more long fell runs in while I am up here this week.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

The full tour of Pendle is in 3/4 weeks Bus.image 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Seb - many congratulations, great news indeed.  Did you do the old school, down on one knee, ask the father etc?  Yes, I'm pretty much decided that I'll go for VLM next year.  I won't enter just yet, as since I can leave it til January I might as well not pay anything until I have to in case some terrible injury arises.

Iron - thanks for that, that's the kind of thing.  Mind you, I think us simple runners are guilty of the busy shoes too

SS - really?  Interesting.  You'll have my vote should you get that far.  Would you go for a marathon anyway even if you don't get in?

Dean - it'll all come back, faster than you expect I reckon.  Still look like pretty decent paces to me.

Mattl - what on earth are you doing posting at that time in the morning?

Went to the pool for a swim at lunchtime.  Good for marathon recovery they reckon.  That's as maybe, but I was none too pleased to come out of the pool and realise that someone had nicked my jacket.  It was a nice jacket too.  Thieving bastards.

• Options

Went to the doctors this morning to get some blood test results and a general old man's health check. Apparently I have a 6% chance of a major heart failure in the next 10 years but as this is less that 20% they are not worried. Seems a sad state of affairs when they accept one in five people will die between 50 and 60 years old.

Factors which weigh against me: I'm male, I have a family history of heart failure.

Neutral factors: I drink moderately and eat moderately.

Good factors: I run.

• Options

Seb congrats on your proposal were many people around watching?

New session on me tonight 2 mile WU and 2 mile WD slotted in between ~ 6 miles consisting of 1 min ~ 5.30 pace and 1 min ~6.30 pace not able to set Garmin up to do this we covered 50m under 10k in 36.08 image felt strong throughout  ran in normal trainers and suffered no lactic build up at all!

• Options

Great tempo Rob, I'm planning on tempos like that but not sure what length interval/interval pace/recovery pace to do. Those ones look easier on paper but they are nasty so good work. You at the National Relays this weekend?

Got the marathon itch today again, was looking at Manchester. Only 54M of elevation! Looks a big deal this year with Asics on board too. If I don't do one in the spring I will definitely run Chester in October... Rob I bagsie your pacing expertise!!!

• Options

Nice session Rob.

Congrats Seb, how sweet!

Hrmm, reckon I'm going a bit hard then? Recommend a few more easy runs or cutting back on the mileage? I'm on about 55 miles a week at the moment. Did take it quite easy today.. just a little run out in the xc spikes on the course I'm racing on on Sunday with a few pick ups. No running tomorrow, just a swim, then ~6miles on Saturday, then race on Sunday...

Hope everyone out training has survived a rather grim evening weather wise

• Options

Well done Seb. Good thing she said yes, or the rest of the holiday could have been a little awkward.

• Options

Stevie not doing relays having a 3 week period of strong training and regaining confidence that calf ok

Not really tempo tonight as kept changing pace every min 1 min (hard) ~5.30 pace and 1 min (easier) ~6.30 pace and so on for 18 mins each really interesting alternating pace

It would be my pleasure to give pace support image

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

Well done Seb. Good thing she said yes, or the rest of the holiday could have been a little awkward.

Like. Haha.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

rob, good effort indeed. Those sessions where you use steady as the recovery are certainly good at building your level up under pressure.

ScottishRunner10 wrote (see)

Nice session Rob.

Congrats Seb, how sweet!

Hrmm, reckon I'm going a bit hard then?

Ever so slightly. I know a couple on here might do long reps, short reps, and tempo in 1 week, but for most runners 2 hard sessions a week max is enough.

You've said yourself that you felt obliterated after your last big block of training. What more clue do you need?

• Options

+1 to the like Lit!

I'll vote for your 26.2 SS, what do we need to do? Great session Rob.

My race calendar probably needs a 10km at some point in early April. Does anyone know of a UKA 10km not too far from Reading?

• Options

Congrats Seb.

Stevie See... I hope you get a place on the 262 thing. You deserve it as you are a first timer. What did you state as your goal? I assume you said sub 3. 

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Haha Thanks very much guys! yeah I did do the whole on one knee/ ask her father thing. Is that seen as 'old skool' now?! Only 20 people are allowed up the top of the tower at a time and you need tickets, I did wait till no one was about Rob! No chance of a rejection, it was years overdue. Also what lady turns down diamonds?

No grim weather here during training tonight Scottish. V mild for near November. Your next few days look fine, swim, easy 6, race. So you've got a few days to decide how to proceed next week.

Missed your nice increase in mileage this month Phil. Top work.

I'd called that a tough fartlek Rob, good job.

I'm going Mansfield for the relays Stevie, think 1st leg so a proper race effectively, shame I've got a few niggles that might make things painful. Going to be a muddy one I'm sure. Perfect.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice running Rob. 

Ive pulled out of Saturdays relays. Was due to run leg 3. 

Did 12 x 400 tonight off 1 min recoveries. First it e I've done something that short for a long while. 9 came out at 71, an early 69 sec rep thrown in then finished with a penultimate 73 which resulted in me having a word with myself then finished with a 69. 

If only I could always start and finish with a 69. I'd be a lot happier.image 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Dachs, I've a daughter that's 5 months old, 2am is a perfectly normal hour to be on here. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

fast stuff Matt. Obviously from the school of smash 400s flat out rather than to a certain pace zone.

12x300s at 3k pace today, same recovery as rep.

Looking back at the splits, I managed to do 13 instead.  2 outlyers of 53 and 57, with 4x54, 4x55 and 3x56.

Beauty of the morning run is that it creates a bit more flexibility in your day as the morning is dead time anyway in effect, And if there is a double planned you're flexible for either lunch and work.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

You're not wrong SG. my track paces seem to be hell for leather over 400/600 and 5k/10k pace ish over 800 upwards.