Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Good effort Dachs. Very speedy. Glad to hear the back is OK Bus. Dean how did you get on?

I must get to a LFOTM at Hyde Park one day.

Ric, I'm speccing a car at the moment, and heated seats are a must. Do they also have cooling fans for the summer?

Track tomorrow morning, so need to get some water and sleep in me.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

800 tonight stretch Target was 1.57. I knew there were a few things I could improve on my last. 800 which was 6 weeks ago. I needed to get through 400 quicker and I was too slow between 400 and 550.  I was also a little worried that I didn't have any fast 800 training in me recently as it was all 1500 stuff.  

It was a fast start and get to 400 in 57. Excellent happy with that. I push hard on the bend and into the straight but feel a bit heavy legged but still at 600 in 1.28.  Now the race collapses! I try to kick at 200 to go but there was nothing there, I work as hard as I can but I'm struggling. My legs feel dead. Hit 100 to go and I try and kick again, nothing, my legs have gone. I work as hard as I can, my form looks laboured, it's not fast. Catch a chap and pass him crossing the line in 2.00.02.     So a 32 last 200 and a 57:63 split. Both Not good enough!

Not a time I had anticipated but not the worst time in the world either. I know for ego purposes a 3/100ths faster and a sub would have looked better. But it's only 0.7 off my PB too.  I have learnt loads from this race and have found a few limits...eg dont kick at 400 on the back of a 57!  Maybe a 58 and a more relaxed 400 to 500 would have delivered a PB as I would have finished strong.  My coach put it well when he said maybe I only have a 40 sec high tempo finish, but the problem today is I lit the fuse with 60 secs of race to go. I will run my next differently to hopefully a PB. image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hv3jDGKbqtk#t=5523#

for those of you who like this sort of thing , the meet was filmed.  this link opens up on my race, im in lane 5 in white.  

Also the BMC 800s had micheal rimmer running and hitting a 1.47 (about 20mins or so after my race)  and the 1500 won by one of our lads in 3.45.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, I forgot to mention those were great race results of yours, better than either of my pb's at any time (2:17 & 9:48).

IC, yes, the seats have cooling fans as well, heated steering wheel too. And maximum level vehicle tax to quieten things down.

Great race Dean, for the purposes of information, invaluable. Only way to discover the limits is to go there. 

For the purposes of information, I cannot move as fast as that over any distance, not even a sprint.

Could have done with a sprint a short while ago. While approaching the end of a steady run (14 miles) I watched as a cyclist was barged out of the way by a car driver who didn't stop. The cyclist wasn't too badly hurt, but as much as anything I was annoyed as I didn't get the car number. A sprint around the corner may have done it.

No matter. Seems the cyclist had what appears to be a photographic memory. So, number and witness secured. Should result in a ban for someoneimage

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great racing Dean, though appreciate how frustrating it must be to be such a fraction outside 2.  You're operating on very slim margins at that speed, so anything remotely off is really going to throw the time.  Sure you'll run faster again this season.

I'm always amazed by how you can get such a detailed race report from such a short race.  For me 800s go something like: start; yes, I'm flying!; oh no, my legs aren't working!; finish.

Checked the results, and it's nice to be put in my place by noting my 800 on Monday was more than a second slower than a 14 year old girl.

• Options

Dean, good race. As you get more in, they get easier: all are good learning experiences.

5k for me last night and I have not got used to the new Garmin so ran on feel and used it just to record. 3:24, 3:32, 3:35, 3:36, 4:06 woops shit! Seems that the sessions done to get a mile in make these fast paces feel easy until it hits in. Should be good for a 3000m on the track but need to pace the 5ks a but more conservatively. Anyway, 18:14 overall is good and my fastest this year if I exclude the track.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Nice one Phil, shows how my failing memory helps when I think of a sub 18 minute 5k as being something to aspire to, when once failing to break 17 minutes was a bad one.

Something for the youthful whipper-snappers on the thread to look forward to.

🙂

• Options

Dean, thats a cracking time. I see club mates flog themselves for the holy grail of sub 2 mins so I know how hard it is! 

Phil, I reckon a few 4 mile tempos at around 5k pace plus 20 secs would correct that last k

• Options
    LSH88 wrote (see)

Phil, I reckon a few 4 mile tempos at around 5k pace plus 20 secs would correct that last k

Yes, it just needs a few longer fast ones to get back into the swing.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice one Phil. Love how you smash the races out. One day I expect I'll go back to that. Marlow's summer used to be ridiculous. About 8 or 9 races over 2months.

After an incredibly disciplined and graduated rehab, today was my first sub 6min mile in 6 weeks!

Just need to try a light speed session next and then can pick a race of some randominity

• Options

Nice one Dean! Good effort Phil, but odd last km.

So track this morning - 3x2000m at 10km pace (5min jog RI). RH quad still sore from the weekend, and found butt kicks a problem during my warm up.

Went through the first 100m a second too fast. By the second 100m I was off pace, and finished the first 2000m 18s off pace. RI was longer than 5mins as I couldn't make it round the track twice in that!

Felt disheartened, but thought I'd see how the second rep went. I binned it after 400m as I was 8s off pace. I live and learn. Annoyingly the last 2km rep I did (Dec) was very off pace too, and I wish I'd learned from that.

Remainder of this week will be easy, and tomorrow is a rest day at last! image

SG - How about Dinton 10km next week?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Probably looking more something obscure, distance, terrain or surface. Nothing that's too comparative to the pbs just to get back into racing.

Sounds an odd session?  2km reps? 5min recoveries? Not seen a session like that. Longest recovery I've ever had was 3mins after 800s at 3k pace.

Would a 6x1km off 90secs not have been easier mentally and physically?

Think in my 4 years under Moz, there's been a small amount of sessions I haven't hit, but only one colossal fail.

That was after a late night, underfuelled, and trying to do a hard session, something like starting off at 2miles at 10k pace at 7am up the track. Knew after about 1 lap it wasn't going to happen, and so it proved. Stuck it out getting slower, but Moz said if that happened again, sack it off and try on a fresher day.

• Options

Session-wise I just do as I'm told image

Even 6x1km would have hurt today. It is painful to sleep on my front because of my quads.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - Dinton is pretty low-key, and is off-road on hard paths.  Not PB-fare anyway. As long as you like swallowing midges, it's an enjoyable run without much pressure.

Not to worry Iron, those sessions just come around from time to time, especially if you're carrying some soreness.  Good call on stopping.

Third race of the week last night - back to the Yateley 10K.  Not defending my series title, as I missed the first race, so none of that pressure.  Once again I felt a bit dodgy during the day and my calves still a little sore from the track racing on Monday, but felt smooth on the warm up.  I suspected that, given all my training has been geared to 5K and my interval sessions have rarely gone over that distance in volume, I would feel fast in the first half and struggle in the second.

Three scorched off into the lead at the start.  Another runner warned me that one of them had gone sub 30 before so not to go with him.  I couldn't have if I'd have wanted to!

One of the three ahead was already slipping back at 1k, so me and another guy caught and passed him to move into 3rd/4th, but with a big gap ahead to the front two.  The other chap started falling back fast at 4K leaving me alone in 3rd.  Through 5K in 16:40, surprised to find myself almost on PB pace, and feeling strong and fast, but thereafter my prediction started to come true.  A few occasions where it all felt a bit much and I slowed right down, but bucked myself up each time after a second or two.  2nd ahead was coming back towards me, about 15seconds ahead, but somehow I lacked the edge to really push to catch him.  Felt like crap through much of the second half, but still kept it together enough to finish in 33:32 - my fastest on the course by 4 seconds, and my 3rd fastest 10K overall.

I was pleased with that really - I feel that physically I was in similar shape to when I ran my PB at Eastleigh.  This course is slower, but the main difference from Eastleigh is that when I was struggling then I knuckled down and tried to increase the pace, whereas last night I did let the pace drift a bit, so a mental toughness issue to address.  But still, I feel a sub 33 is do-able this year with more 10K-specific work.

• Options

SG, you would have enjoyed the Marlow 5k. It was the "old course" so a full figure of 8 which started by the river, went west, through the farm and down the middle road, left and left back down Shepherds Lane, then back along the middle road and a short finish on grass rather than the long one we have done the last few years.

Lots of races is the way I get fit, prefer races to hard sessions, next outing is Runnymede Relays on Saturday: you coming along to be first loser again?

• Options

Dachs, good 10k there, second half was not much slower than the first (16:52 cf 16:40) so I'd say your pessimism is badly placed.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs - sounds like you are in better shape than you think, a course PB is a great return considering it wasnt a targeted race.  Maybe track is releasing some speed into these longer events.  Part of me is looking forward to autumn/winter and getting some 10k's in and seeing how i find a 10k pace now i have spent a summer thrashing myself

Philip - racing yourself sharp is working well.  sure that last k was a blip but otherwise your summer is building nicely.

Iron cat - an unusual session but sometimes its good to take on a harder session like that (both mentally and physically)  Taking on a session like that can make you stronger in a race, so its always good occasionally not to take the easier route (which would bring less rewards) by cutting them up into 1k reps.  Of course the session didnt plan out right on the day but maybe go slower on the pace and build into them.

Looks like i have got an entry into the BMC grandprix next week.  some BMC regionsl events allow anyone to enter but the grandprix have minimum standards.  3.55 1500m minimum!  they do allow U17 with nearly that time or potential to break it into the race so my coach went at it the other way and asked would they allow an oldie in trying to reach potential. 

• Options

Great news that the BMC entry came off, Dean. Cracking event to be part of.

Another top 800m under your belt the other night too. As it sounds like you've pretty much rationalised yourself, those 3 hundredths of a second make a big difference psychologically, but very little difference in reality. Was a bloody bold move to kick at 400m to go off the back of a 57! You visibly go up several gears in an instant at the bell on that vid. The more relaxed 400-500 stretch that you mention could be one way to go, but an alternative for my two pennorth's worth might be to aim for a slightly more measured squeeze at the bell? Not that I imagine for one minute that it's easy to be measured about anything when you're already rattling round at sub-4 minute mile pace! 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I keeping missing that Marlow 5k. One day i'll get there. just always seem to have a bit of a setback around this time of year that doesn't cost many actual off days, but takes momentum away from proper sessions.

No to relays. Even if i was fully fit my lot can't be bothered anyway. Well...the top end runners anyway.

Horrible course, so not much of a misser!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers bob - when you say a measured squeeze at the bell do you mean still increase the pace but only slightly not flat out in an instance?  If so you have a good point. definately should be a slower burn to any pace increase unless im in the last 100m

What was good for me was at the race our club has a spanish elite runner who did 3.45 on the night, he hasnt seen me race this yr and as soon as i came off the track just pointed at the 400-500m bend and you said lost it there, no need to increase when the pace is already fast.  Wait, then move when the pace drops, you tried to force the pace when it wasnt needed.   Wise words.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good racing there Dean, Philip and last, but by no means least image Dachs! I don't think you sounded pessimistic - quite the opposite!

10M xc late morning for me, squeezed in between work and sprog taxiing duties! Phew, what a scorcher is all I can say!

• Options

Dean - Yep, exactly that. As a comparatively slow novice, I risk sounding rather preposterous offering advice off my own bat, so I think the best I can do is quote back some of your own advice to me when we were discussing how I should approach a 1500m/Mile to try to take advantage of my tendency towards a fast finish. 'Raise it half a click' (with 500m to go in my case) I think you phrased it. Seems appropriate here too, as what your Spanish clubmate spotted leapt out at me too when viewing the vid...looks like about 3 clicks that you raised it. image In fairness, I think your move was probably exaggerated by having to manoeuvre a position for yourself round the outside, but as yer man said, off a 57 opening lap it probably wasn't a move that was needed at that stage. All useful experience though.

Although he doesn't win the race, I quite like the way that the tall guy in the yellow vest approaches the race. Couple of metres down from the pack off the fast start at 200m, still at the back at the bell, and then works his way through the field on to the shoulder of 3rd off the final bend, before tying up a bit on the final straight - he's possibly just coming back from a lay off looking at his record. Ran his own race, and bet he ran even splits near as dammit. 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bob - my advice to you sounds good, I should really follow it myself image

i have a race on Sunday so tonight's session was down as easy paced 6*200 so I was expecting to be given 30secs pace but was given 28.  Not as easy as I thought.

all came out 28.0 to 28.4.  

• Options

5k today turned out to be a 5 miler as we were missing a few fast guys and I was promoted form a old farts spot to a senior spot. 5.3 miles off road at 6:24 pace must help with the endurance and we came in second so not bad,but the quality was way down on last year: those 2 or 3 million people watching the cyclists in Yorkshire seem to have taken away quite a few runners.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Always nice to win those quality little shields Phil, even if you were "first loser" image.

Found it an odd experience last year, basically running about 100-150metres behind one guy the whole way, then being monstered by a Datchet fella in the last 1/4mile, so I managed to lose the team a place despite running a decent leg.

Darn footy went to penalties last night, gone 12. So today's 7am run up soon will be slightly more befuddled than it could have been.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Always nice to win those quality little shields Phil, even if you were "first loser" image.

I see you stalked my result!

Two odd things this year:

1) Rob Foster was carrying an injury so we swapped him out the A team and then he went and ran the fastest short leg of the day. If he had run for our A team it would have been much closer thing.

2) Frazer Alexander, the fast army guy, ran leg 3, so took over in 5th or 6th and romped home in first with a healthy lead they never lost. I see Dachs beat him at Yately which is a good scalp.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Quiet on here.

Good off road pacing that Philip - nicely done.

LSR for me first thing today (not quite as first thing as your SG!!), and longest run since before Abingdon. On road, 16.3M. After a large meal with friends last night, a bit too much to drink and disturbed sleep, the first half our was actually pretty unpleasant! It was all OK after that though, with a string of sub 7 miles, including mile 16, which was a good sign. Average pace was only 7:21 though, thanks to the early slow miles and three big hills.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

I see you stalked my result!

Or I read the post above where you said you lot had come 2nd! And hilariously used your own fb taunt of asking whether we'd be turning up as first loser back against you image

I'm really not one to often check results of races I'm not at!

In seriousness though., good work, and those plates are a nice momento for top 3 anyway.

• Options

A good race then Phil!

A nice LFR Bus, and a crazy early (ish) run by SG.

I saw Dachs at parkrun yesterday. In fact, as I was waving to my kids he ran past me and I almost took his head off. I was down for an easy run so dropped back to run with MrsCat after the start. Paced her to a new PB by 1:30 (from last PB 2 weeks ago!).

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cracking long one Bus. Strolling a 16 off is a great place to be, and after your year of niggles and tightness I use you as a motivator throughout my own period of uncertainty.

The Wycombe race(s) are very likely to be missed for the first time since 07 unfortunately, although I'm sure the last 2-3 years I've had some doubt pre race!

Went and did a 12.5 based around the half course, and although 7.08 was comfy enough, my right hamstring was super tight from midway on. Can't seem to unlock it fully, yet can still smash a 59mile week off. Odd position. Back to the Oesteo methinks.

Have to remember there is progress, but it's slow. For instance the "LSR" has built 8,8,10,12,12.5 these last 5 weeks, and I remember that first 8 was a real slog to get home! Similarly, this last week I've got 1 sub 6mile in, and a few 6.30s. Will definitely be able to step back into faster work fitness wise, as soon as the handbrake comes off!

In the meantime, hope everyone appreciates the ability to just go and race! I'll try to when I get back fully!