Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

And I don't eat tuna bagels.

Anymore.

Already had a tin of lager and finished the wine though. Good!

In view of Deans not universally recognised HM fun run of  73:43, I have now started on 800m and 1500m training. Four miles this morning while concentrating on using leg muscles in regions rarely reached before. Went ok. Only blew up about 15 times.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, a new niche for you!

It's probably a good thing I wasn't up to track stuff in the summer, as if i'd been under my own steam then, i'd have probably done something ridiculous like some track races at Watford.And probably something ludicrous like a double header, that i was still recovering from the first race by the second!

Dachs, don't worry, many many runners are like you. I'd say the main reason people start doing more support work, is because they suddenly need to due to a build of tightnesses/niggles!

You're going great guns though, and long may that continue, but one day you might have to do the extra, not just choose not to.

Lit has a strong core, so i have less worries about her discombobulating then anyone else.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

A new niche indeed. 

Interested to know what Bus is going to do now. 

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

The main thing I need to sort out is sleep.  I go to bed far too late, and I am certain I'd be quicker if I actually rested properly.

In other news, tonight will involve trying to run a handful of 400s at Dennis Kimetto's marathon pace.

• Options
    I reckon will Bus will probably race anyhow.

Last year when I couldn't run and only cycled I didn't take any rest days but did some very easy rides instead.

Now I'm back training properly I always have at least 1 day off a week. That day takes forever to pass, but I need that day to sleep later and dedicated some time to the family, or work travel. Or maintenance aka stretching.
  • Options

I don't have 'rest days' if cycling counts as not resting. I don't cycle very fast though as I am quite lazy.

• Options
    I'm a bit like that now Dachs, no diet whatsoever, sleep is poor mainly due to shifts and only really run.. No core and the only stretching I've done is on physio advise

After today though I will plan in some strength work as I really found it helped - plus even more focus on stretching. May seem like I doing it a lot + doing all the other stuff but really far from it.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Are you saying that you're not sleeping well now even though you are no longer arguing with Samir on the internet at 1 am?

• Options
    Haha!! I rarely go to bed before midnight. I think it really only catches up with me if I finish at 10 start at 7 next day or have a few early shifts and end up going off 4-5 hours sleep with no dinner..

Diet always been an issue for me. Would be interesting to see how much change a proper "professional athlete style" diet would benefit - I seem ok running off custard creams image
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I won't be running tomorrow, and short of a miracle recovery, won't be racing at the weekend either. Next target would be to see if I can recover for Ridgeway the Sunday after, though that also seems unlikely. If that proves to be the case, then Cabbage Patch will probably be ruled out, so there may well be a spare number going! Might be Wokingham half will be my next target race

I do regular pilates type swiss ball exercises to deal with a back problem, which is aggravated by running downhills. It does work, but is a pain to do!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just see how it goes Bus. Things can seem disastrous one minute, then fine the next. I've half a suspicion you'll still turn out on Sunday, I know what you're like!

I've gone on the Wokingham half waiting list. The "relief" I felt that I wasn't missing the local must do half last year when it was called off, quickly turned into "oh no it's in effect sold out" when they said they'd honour entries.

Therefore, i'll sit on the waiting list, just in case I want to do it in...5months time! 60-70 ahead of me apparently.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

You need quality protein for quality repair. 

If I'm right on top of things, I'll steady run having just eaten and eat during a warm down after races or sessions.

Easy to leave all this detail to one side. Seems a bit excessive even if it makes sense.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I went to see someone a couple of months ago who has a degree in nutrition etc. he's also a V45 with a sub 32.30 10k. I had to do a food diary for him and he was surprised at the training I did off the crap I ate. I've tried to implement a few things he advised but running means I've earned my treats.

Since I started getting the coaching I get a strength and core session each week to do alongside my training. Usually 3 times a week and I try and foam roll and stretch a couple of times each week now. One exercise tonight was a single leg balance. Stand on one foot and make sure that the planted leg is straight while keeping the pressure on your big toe to keep it rooted to the ground. Slightly lift your other leg off the ground with a slight bend at the knee. Close your eyes and hold for 30 seconds. Fell over after 5 seconds every time. Had to keep my eyes open. Useless.

Session last night for me on the road. 2 miles tempo (5.25) 5 mins rest then 5 x 3 mins off 90 secs. (5.09- 5.10- 5.11- 5.10- 5.06) did it in a local park but with no street lighting and did the last 2/3 reps in the pitch black. Need to find a new spot now its going dark.

A new 5k is also in the pipeline which is literally 5 mins drive from my home. A purpose built cycle track named after a local Olympian Steven Burke which is 1200m loop, pancake flat and floodlit. They're doing one race each month with graded races on. I know one of the lads behind it and they're really confident it will take off with a one off big event each year which will hopefully be similar to Armargh with the really quick lads turning up.
  • Options

Aha! I can do that standing on one leg with eyes closed thing cos of all the pilates. Did the nutritionist say 'eat a f***load of ice cream,' Matt? If he didn't, let's just pretend he did and I'll carry on.

• Options

Have to start somewhere with the core work though Matt and sounds like you'll make huge progress with the little things adding in anyway!

Guessing the low 5m/m was average pace for the 3minutes? AV under 3:10 per KM with the tempo sounds promising though.. Sub 32 ......................

That 5KM does sound delicious though! There are clearly some good quick lads down here in the few local series around but generally the fields are not hugely deep.. The standard I want to achieve next year now I'm going to have to do some travelling.. All this injury has me thinking about focusing on shorter stuff and taking an easy / rebuilding winter... Who knows, I change my mind every day depending how I feel and you all know I like detail and going off on one! image 

Started a mini plan on next years races though - I know its a long way but the way this year is panning out I can't see much going on, and we are in October nowimage 

Picking my personal target races adding in probable team races such as nationals XCs then working my training backwards from those races.. 

Nutrition I really think is vital though.. Matt I remember you ate like me, snacked on cereal etc.. 

Today, 2 bowls of cornflakes + 2 bananas, some chocolate fingers and a Mr.Whippy ice cream. Worldclass nutrition. Oh and Mcdonalds pancakes and syrup for breakfast while I waited for the physio - YUM

It's pure lazyness though - Would be even worse to say I manage a kitchen that takes upto 25 grand a day wouldn't it! 

Just tried the single leg balance. Pretty poor myself and also inconsistent 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm not so bad with snacking, I can get by on 3 meals a day. Sometimes 2 of them are cereal though. image that said, after a run I usually eat my tea then wallop a bowl of cereal 5 mins later.

I did ok when I did the balancing the last couple of weeks. The eyes closed part was added in this week. It'll take some mastering! Ha
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The nutrition issue as regards runners is actually a case of over riding our 'gut instincts' literally.

Our bodies simply want sugar, fat and protein in that order. So, eat 'to appetite' and you'll eat cornflakes and a variety of carbo junk. When the only protein source is the milk on your cereal don't expect damage to repair any time soon.

If runners were cars, they'll have a full tank of fuel, decent engine and transmission. But falling to bits through sub standard build quality. 

I note that one poster on this thread, he was so short of time, he was routinely eating his evening meal and hitting the road for a full session of whatever. I recall nothing but good effects from this practise.

Makes sense really. The time your body can metabolise the food to best effect is at the very moment it needs it. Its not going to find anything to use in an empty stomach.

🙂

• Options

Mrs teaches food tech, after some years in industry. We mainly eat well but do have the odd evening of junk. That said the vast majority of what we have is freshly prepared.

Breakfast for me is one bowl of cereal/milk/tea/bannana. If I've had a hard session before brekkie I'll have 2 poached eggs on toast. A decent breakfast after  training will see me through until lunch.

Lunch might be poached eggs with salad or a small sandwich and lots of fruit. Chunks of cheese.

I try to have a high-fat diet (full fat milk, butter, lots of cheese), a fair amount of protein and try to avoid over carbing.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

I note that one poster on this thread, he was so short of time, he was routinely eating his evening meal and hitting the road for a full session of whatever. I recall nothing but good effects from this practise.

I used to do exactly this.

However, I recall nothing but destroying the local scenery with pitstops.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Mrs teaches food tech, after some years in industry..

And Samir pricks his ears up...

Not sure if Ric is referring to me, but I've been known to eat proper meals then hit big tempo or rep sessions.  It makes for a fairly sluggish first 3-4 miles warming up, then things usually settle down.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Protein for muscle repair after a run is pretty much an accepted necessity. My favourite post run snack is a bagel with fried eggs and beans. Always hits the spot!

Not sure about running on a full stomach though. At high intensities, the body can't convert fuel in the form of undigested food fast enough to be of much use as blood flow is diverted to serve the muscles and fuel is previously stored glycogen and fat. At lower intensities, then food that is easily absorbed and converted to fuel is OK.

In the racing car analogy, the tank will only be full enough to get to the next pit stop or end of the race, because anything else is just extra weight!

It depends on the athlete though - some runners will find food settles their stomach, others will have to do a Stevie image. Of course, if you are running an ultra you have no choice but to eat on the move. Personally, I find a few dates or something is enough to restore liver glycogen before a morning long run, but for anything under an hour I'm happy to just run. 

Did my fastest ride to work this morning. It would have been 19mph, if it hadn't been for a pesky set of lights and a roundabout in the last half mile knocking it down to 18.8 image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, it was.

The food on board idea,  works best if you can get moving within ten minutes of the final mouthful. The last thing you want is your system to start storing the energy when you want to use it.

The energy being used at that point is the energy already stored in the muscles and liver. The advantage of having the meal before heading out is that its ready and waiting at the points where you slow down enough for absorption to take place.

Needless to say running at full pace and going into oxygen debt is going to keep blood away from your digestive tract. On top of that, half digested food will quite likely be ejected one end or another.

For me and food there's a 'no run' rule. Its after 10 minutes or before four hours.

🙂

• Options
    I was gonner say IC don't tell us that! Samir will be on the prowl

I used to be able to eat anything and run straight away - now with my stomach I really struggle and do have problems sometimes, I normally always need the toilet after a run sometimes as soon as I stop..

Nice bike ride Bus, I find I average similar pace but the continuous stops frustrate me!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I've got my Garmin set to auto-pause for lights etc, but you still lose a fair bit in the braking and accelerating. Still, better that than ploughing into a car I guess image

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

I've got my Garmin set to auto-pause for lights etc, but you still lose a fair bit in the braking and accelerating. Still, better that than ploughing into a car I guess image

Cheat! You should capture the entire ride, even rest intervals!

Scott Edgington wrote (see)
    I was gonner say IC don't tell us that! Samir will be on the prowl 

I forgot about his predilections for older, more culinary experienced women.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

image (though Strava does anyway!)

and

• Options

Can you really use the energy from your dinner when you haven't digested it yet?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

My lastest Garmin is currently clocking up the air miles as it flies back to America (the land of the 99% who aren't in jail). 

Had a message discussion with PMJ about how to get the damn device to upload and (no fault of his) in the end gave up.

Digging deeper reveals a possibility that it was the USB cable causing the problem. Don't import direct from the US. You can bring back stuff if you like. I wouldn't go there if you paid me.

Still, £35 down and no Garmin. Sod it, I won't buy another. Lost interest.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Can you really use the energy from your dinner when you haven't digested it yet?

You can't. But if you run at a sustainable pace you can. Cyclists do.

🙂

• Options

Stupid question here, how long would you have to run for time wise to get benefit from eating before you go out? 

I do remember having a full English breakfast just before the National in Newark in '92, ran ok, least I didn't get lapped by Eammon Martin, but it did re-appear in the finishing funnel!