Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

CC82 - I haven't done the Scottish nationals before but the English nationals were definitely for everyone - huge events with runners of all abilities taking part. Actually the intercounties a few weeks later were a bit of a let-down by comparison - a much more prestigious event, but because you had to qualify it was a far smaller field and none of the carnival atmosphere.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Lit - Hmm - I'll definitely keep that in mind for next year.  I haven't done XC at all yet so a couple of local XC races this winter will do nicely before focusing back on the road.

SG - As for getting "same race" pals.  I did log into the Edinburgh Marathon thread and even that (being a massive event) doesn't have much uptake yet, and generally people that will be in pens much farther back than me, so there won't be any chance of getting to know any of them.  Lack of population density and lack of runners within that seems to mean finding someone on this forum that might do the same race as me and be even remotely close pace-wise is very slim.  I do recognise faces at the local races but I suppose it just takes time to start to get to know some of the folks.

• Options

There used to be a guy on the Middle Ground thread who ran for an Aberdeen club.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cc- give it a little bit of time, and you'll find you can't do any race without knowing someone.

I was surprised to turn up at the Southend 10k a few years ago and know a few people. It takes quite an obscure race these days to know noone.

The A race for knowing people though, is the Marlow 5. By the time I weigh in ex club mates, pals from other clubs, ex football teammates, work people, threadsters etc, there's normally way too many people to deal with.

Silliest year was the year Man Utd played Chelsea at 4pm on the same day. Meant I had to race at 9.30 for half an hour, very quick cool down and chat with 1 or 2 people, and then get straight on the motorway!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

simon - fast XC reps there.  particularly so on a bleak night in luton (is there any other type)image

• Options

Catching up over lunch in Germany. You guys had me laughing so hard I choked on my sausage!

Ric - let it go now. It's not worth itimage

Easy 9km yesterday round the town orange (8.1km) running route; municipally signposted along with a 3.4km (red) and a 5km (blue) option. Dark and sleety. By the end I had frost in my beard and I felt like an explorer. I'd have appreciated a head torch, unsure of the side I should be on when running on a shared footpath in Germany.

Followed up today with a 9km progression run on the same route. Hopefully this will help my pacing and negative split aspirations. Still dark, but dry. Long tights and fleecy windproof top, buff and gloves. Probably a little warm but glad to have it for the cooldown and warmup.

No Wokey-Cokey for me. Pulled out last year and was offered a place this year but didn't take it up. No way was I going to record a slower time that 2 years ago.

• Options
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

simon - fast XC reps there.  particularly so on a bleak night in luton (is there any other type)image

Nope! (Summer is more entertaining as I walk into town to get the bus...various drunks, beggars, few fights, usual fare!)

I wouldn't class last night as xc reps tbh..the grass is pretty flat, but defo not as good as road or track..

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Awesom run today. One of 'those' runs that just feels great. 60mins @ average 7:40 for 7.85 miles. Ran a different route from usual and its a lovely day for the time of year - must have made it all the better. image
  • Options
    literatin wrote (see)

All right... I'm doing the National XC. You in that one?

I've got the fear...

• Options

Managed to drag myself down the pool today for an hours swim, followed by a mid morning kip, lunch and then 50 minutes on the Wattbike at 200 watts average. Other than that eccentric loading, stretches and fascia rolling made for a fun packed day.

Looks like few sunny but coldish days on the way. 

IC - running routes around the streets, never heard of that before. I suppose it's a good thing for visitors. 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

CC - sounds like my run yesterday - makes you remember why you do it doesn't it? As SG says, after a few seasons of the same local races you get to know people and if you're lucky some of them invite you onto a quality thread image

Andrew any progress on the injury?

Iron - why did you have to say those three words? I was going to tell Ric the same thing but that bloody song started in my head and now you've really gone and done it imageBeard? When did that happen?

Matt - good work! Were those as a double or on two days? either way, still quality!

Likewise Simon - very nice session!

Back to normal for me today in the mud - pace WAY down on yesterday! Bloody toe sore too - not too bad on the first of the doubles, but painful on the way home (no handy streams on the route!). I've tried padding it with a range of stuff but no use - frustrating as it's a stupid little injury that's causing problems way out of proportion to the cause! 

• Options

Come on ricF, the guy has a 10k flat PB of 58:56 and he runs 48:06 on a hilly course so beats his PB by 10 minutes: I don't see anything odd with that: we all have days like that

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=513631

runBritain says his vSSS (he difference between your performance and the SSS value. The lower the value, the better you performed compared to everybody else. Negative values mean you performed better than the norm) is -13.7 so he just did well.

http://www.runbritainrankings.com/runners/profile.aspx?athleteid=513631

Hell, he has run 27 minutes at a parkrun and that isn't even a race.

He even looks like a fast runner: he is is doing a marathon in 4:10

http://statics.maindruphoto.com/images/events/event_316/LD/ld_20122104.jpg

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Matt3 wrote (see)

. 40 mins threshold on the treadmill and averaged 5.39 for 7.1 miles. ..

Anyone doing Alsager 5?

matt - thats exactly the session i am doing on saturday. its almost like we have similar 10k targets image  

i was tempted by alsager but have decided against it, it has a decent crowd at the sharp end and is a good flat fast race but i want to just train for a month and not focus on any races. 

• Options

Bus - Injury feels ok, I've not run on it, but I get the feeling that it's not ready yet somehow. I am giving it plenty of respect. Physio on Monday, so I will wait until then before running. 

Toe injury sounds annoying. I also get a sore big toe, which I manage. It's caused by friction between the big toe and the next one along. I have to hold the big toe and move next one up and down to free it up.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sensible Andrew - you'll know when is right.

Ric - I bet that guy is blissfully unaware of what a furore he is causing!  I bet he just baled out without or something without even knowing what's happened.

A former Secretary of WWFC, Keith Allen, (bizarrely!) said something to me that has always stuck -"never put down to malice what can be explained by ignorance" image

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Haha, Dean. I'll prob just drop next Thursdays interval session before Alsager and do a threshold run. Still gives me a month afterwards before Trafford but still hoping for a PB as mines very soft. I've ran 26.39 but po10 has 27.02.

Bus, they were on consecutive days. How was it you did your foot again? I've had a load of problems solely on my left leg/foot since October which started with a niggly calf. That's cleared but I think rolled my foot off the step late November which has only eased over the last week. Compensating for that I think I've been putting too much pressure on my big toe joint (I've a bunion, albeit my toe is heading inwards, it's not fully taken shelter under my second toe image ) which has become sore. I bought a toe separator to push my big toe straight which now seems to have had an effect on an area towards my inner part of my ankle/lower leg.

Had 2 pairs of trainers delivered which I've had to send back due to being too tight round my forefoot because of my bunion. It appears I've gone up a full size in the same model of trainer in the last 3 month. Whether that's solely due to my wide foot or my arch is dropping as I've got very high arches.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, Matt.

Foot/toe problems are a right distraction. One tiny ligament or tendon tweak can have you running on one leg. Hope they clear soon, though bunions may prove awkward to deal with.

Oh yes, that raceimage.

Let me assure everyone I'm not sitting around ranting about this issue. Even as I typed out the post that IC commentated on, I was thinking it was one mention too many.

As things stand, the organiser has a routine results nightmare after every race due to wave errors but Sunday's event was a whole new ball game. People run a 10k because its short enough to be manageable, they don't expect to nearly die in ice cold 'quick-mud' or fall into a ravine.

In fact, an open message is sent out to the participants after each race asking for 'information' about possible errors. I mentioned no names but the organiser did. I've heard nothing since.

It was only the DOMS that was keeping my attention on the subject. Ouch!

DOMS. hmm. Still haven't run since Sunday. Believe it or not I've never had 'this' before. After the race I felt great, not one twinge ache or anything. The day after, I felt some stiffness and the next day, really stiff. Eased off yesterday, almost gone at this moment.

Obviously I've done the whole marathon thing, but nothing delayed about that. In those events my legs were stuffed before and as I finished.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Trust PMJ to find the poor guy and stick his photo online...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, why would you go researching that guy, and then put his photo up?! What's wrong with you!?

Ric, good to see you're not stewing about this. I've learnt from personal experience it doesn't do you any good. Often feels like you want to have your revenge or stick it to them, but unfortunately the best way is to rise above it.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Ric, and that's if that guy has even done anything intentionally wrong. He might just have been knackered and ducked out, not realising his result was recorded image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

matt, i agree a big PB is on the cards for you, but if i was racing i would be aiming at no slower than 25.40.  of course conditions on the day may affect that but sub 26 is an absolute minimum i would have thought.  particularly with eyes on a trafford pb.  image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Matt, you must've gone through 5m in about 26:05 at worst at Leeds.  I did, and you were just ahead of me.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Phil, why would you go researching that guy, and then put his photo up?! What's wrong with you!?

Purely to remind everyone that running is not anonymous. This forum is very odd as people have forum names and yet refer to races, times etc so when ric, or indeed anyone else, refers to a runner in a race, it is a real person. It's not like I have a secret method, this stuff is all on the internet and one google search for the race results gives the name and club of the guy and a second gives everything you ever want to know about him: literally. Name, address, family relationships, work-place etc.

This is a public forum and if you think you are making veiled references nobody else can understand or read then that is a false assumption.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I like your work Phil. Haha. My profile picture on here is really me hiding in the shade.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I have to agree with you there Phil.

No one can function in a public arena by choice and demand anonymity as well. 

As for 'that' race. I made it clear to the organiser that I wouldn't blame anyone for taking the 5k option. I imagine that if they didn't finish they  thought they wouldn't get a medal or goody bag. Personally speaking, 5k on that course was worth a 10k to most of the runners. 

🙂

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Today's session was all about finding 400m to run on that wasn't pure ice.  Not easy.  Had to settle for a soggy / icy / uneven bit of grass beside the local woods.  Turns out (according to my Garmin) that a lap is pretty much bang on 400m.  Campaign for a running track starts today.  They can even keep their park benches in the middle bit.

Anyway, 2x (5 x 400m) off 75s with 3min between sets - aiming for 81-85 seconds. A good bit quicker than previous 400s.

Very pleased with the outcome:

Set 1: 81.6 / 84.00 / 81.9 / 81.5 / 80.4

(that slower second rep was due to my watch starting the lap before I'd opened the gate!)

Set 2: 82:2 / 81.4 / 81.0 / 81.3 / 81.4

Given the conditions, I'm very pleased with that and it turned into a good little pre-XC session on the grass.

Long slow warm up and cool down (as I was searching for somewhere to do the reps!) brought out a total of 8.33 miles @ 8:22 pace.  Sitting at 28.33 miles for the week.  Rest day tomorrow then 30 easy with strides Saturday, then XC on Sunday.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

one google search for the race results gives the name and club of the guy and a second gives everything you ever want to know about him: literally. Name, address, family relationships, work-place etc.

if ever there's an insight into the depth of your stalking! Be afraid runners, be afraid.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I assume that Phil gleaned the information off 'facebook'.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

And I assume that a third simple step is to go round to that address, root through his bins, and find out all about his diet, medications, broadband supplier and favourite toothpaste.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

In fact, look at that screen grab from Garmin Connect.  Apart from the bottom right corner - that's pretty much bang on a running track shape and size.  I was cutting that corner too to avoid right angling on the iciest bit, so definitely scope for a nice sheltered flat 400m track 2 miles from my house.

/members/images/711260/Gallery/strichen_running_track.jpg