Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Blimey - that's an early start for a teenager!

I think it was more of a late finish! Some good efforts out there at parkrun today. Good progression Phil, and good pacing Matt.

Good work Bus. I think the majority of my faster times at parkrun have been in a similar split-less situation. Nice reps Dean. Consistent.

So 68 hilly km on the bike today in whatever that weather was. Monthly totals as follows:

75km (46mi) running
    536km (333mi) cycling
    36h36min total

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very slow and lethargic 14 miler today. Sore adductors and foot, and then to top it off, wit 0.3M to go I was attacked by a mad dog owner! Went past a woman with two dogs - a calm lab, and a yappy terrier type thing that went for my ankles. I did the classic running kick to shake the thing off and carried on running, only to here her screaming and shouting obscenities at me. Stupidly I stopped, whereupon she charged up to me and tried to hit me! I pushed her arm away, she then claimed I'd punched her and was calling the police! I told her to go ahead as it was an offence to have an out of control dog in a public place. She was on the phone, but to her husband...being knackered and in need of a bath, I left where upon she whipped me with the dog lead! I've got a big nail mark on my chest and a swollen finger as a result. Nice woman - I hope her husband deserves her!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

"some bloke kicked little Rover and then punched me".

I can see it now! Sounds an ordeal. Just a shame it seems to have happened so close to home! Hope she doesn't pop up again. I'd have no qualms with reporting their rabid dog though. While it sounds funny to some, if that was some little kid getting bitten, the joke soon stops.

Similarly sluggish run myself, albeit 12miles, and no dog incidents.

Didn't help being woken up past 5am, or putting the steep Marlow hill 1mile in.

First half, glutes/upper hamstring tight, second half pelvis/hip bones stiff.
    Still average of 6.59 though, so can't be too much of a thing.

However, glad to have this appointment on Thursday. First time I've ever had this specific referred feeling, so will see what has slightly come undone!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant Bus! Probably would've been best to carry on although you weren't to know she was going to fly at you, haha. Was she one of them dog owners that looks like their dogs? she sounds it.

Nice long run SG. 5am is a lie in for me nowadaysimage

Just 12 for me today came out at 6.23 pace. 319 miles for feb with prob a good chunk of them at sub 6 miling. A bit sore around my Achilles towards the end. Might have a day off tomorrow.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Matt  imageI did carry on at first, but the sound of being called a f***ing this and that, even above the sound of my MP3 brought out my questioning nature! Her dogs were both better looking than her as it happens - even the little terrierimage

That is some mileage for Feb, especially at that speed!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Just noticed that it's the 1st today so will be 307 miles I think.

Whenever I've had a run in with someone I spend the rest of my run going over possible scenarios that could've happened or what I should've said! Ha.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Me too Matt - it's bloody annoying how the mind works! Worst thing with this woman is that, as SG said, it was very close to home and I will inevitably regularly bump into her. Hey ho - hope her husband is a little fella image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

She probably gets into scuffles with people regularly, so will soon forget you.

On another note Bus, I might sort of take your tip for 1mile reps Tuesday. Except starting near the main road on the pavement, rather than doing the loop round the back.

Will do a spot of map my running to see where a full mile comes out. As although it's HMP rather than anything faster, with only 30sec recoveries, it needs to be sorted well!

• Options

As a sweeping statement, most dog owners are fcuking nuts and have no grasp on human normality.*+

Nice long runs Bus, SG & Matt. Pretty good monthly mileage too.

90mins recovery ride today. Then 1.5 hrs marshalling & supporting at our junior friendly duathlon with another local junior club. Finished up with an hour swim coaching. Tired.

*Based on a sample of those I encounter that annoy me whilst running.

+ Similar opinion with car drivers when I'm cycling.

• Options
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

As a sweeping statement, most dog owners are fcuking nuts and have no grasp on human normality.*+

No, most dog owners are normal people, but some are real dickheads. I must run past hundreds of dog owners each week and 1% of dickheads means at least one a week. He's only playing but he has your hand in his mouth!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/23/article-0-124EA849000005DC-660_468x675.jpg

http://www.poorlydrawncomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2012-02-09-How-to-kick-a-dog.png

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

The trouble is, some dog owners think their animals are their "babies". Most people wouldn't accept their kids snarling at people, biting them, or even just tripping them up but it's OK for their dog "babies"!  

• Options

I did say it was a sweeping statement. Typically we don't count or praise the dogs that didn't attempt to bite us, or the safe drivers that gave us adequate clearance. 

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Dog owners, hard to get along with people who can't make friends with their own species.

Big night out for me Saturday, was in the dog house most of Sunday having got in a 4am. Wife had to take my daughter to swimming, I was severely hungover and probably still pissed. Eventually got up around lunch time; there was no exercise done.

Did a bit of a 5m progression run this morning. Wind was pretty strong so I tried to follow a route that kept it to a cross wind but managed to finish with the last mile into the teeth of it. Splits of 7.34, 6.46,6.27,6.18 & 6.03. Probably the first time I have managed to get anywhere close to achieving my goal pace on any form of quality run. Probably helped that I tried something achievable for once!

• Options

All been there Andrew! Have to have a big blow out now and again! Well I may be a little raw still after the German Shepherd Dog incident (claw marks going slowly) but there's just too many of the f**kers! keep sniffer dogs, guide dogs, police dogs..round all the others up and cull half of them. Job done image.

Good parkrunning over the weekend. Bus - good account, quite amusing (sorry!!) good session Dean. Phil - Andy Maud was a tennis pro as in 'teaching it' in a tennis club.

Right. Did a 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 pyramid at Willen lake MK after the missus had done a the parkrun. Sunday, did a 16 miler from ours in LB to the pool we take our boy to at Newport Pagnell..bit lumpy over the firat half. Felt ok, hip flexors maoning as per usual.

Did 6 getting to work this morning - then realised as I had left my trousers at home! So ran 2 miles from Camden down to Next on Oxford St and back to buy some more..knackered!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ahh, the classic forgotten kit!

I usually forget pants, and then have to hope noone is looking too closely for the rest of the day.

• Options
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

I did say it was a sweeping statement. Typically we don't count or praise the dogs that didn't attempt to bite us, or the safe drivers that gave us adequate clearance. 

I understand. In fact, I did praise an owner for her dog's behaviour last week. When she saw me coming, she called him to heel and he did exactly as she said. Bus, it would be OK if they thought of them as babies (small things that need protection, need to stay close and do not respond to commands), but they in fact attribute way too much sense to them. How many times have you heard "Fido, move over to the left and let the jogger by"? Firstly, how many dogs know their left from their right and secondly how many dogs will look round and see no jogger as I approach?

Actually as bad, if not worse as the dog owners, are those who cannot see or hear beyond their smartphone. I actually had one step off the pavement and walk straight into my car the other day: a second sooner and she would have stepped out in front of me rather than hit the side door.

• Options

Hi everyone.

Lit - good to see you too and well done on another xc.. and of course the 5!! Was an absolutely horrible day at Falkirk.. pleased with my run but have to say it's the only xc which I don't think I've enjoyed a single minute of it..! 

Still lurking away here on the threadimage Good to see you're back to some hardcore training SG.. and still always amazed at Phil's what I would consider long run-long run-long-run weeks. Don't know how you do it!!

Training going well for me. Had a solid XC season, and now training for Edinburgh Marathon. 2 x 16mi, 3 x 17mi and 2 x 18milers in the bag so far, and Sunday was 17 miles with 4, 3, 2, 1, 2 miles @ 07:09min/mile pace off 2 mins jog between. No idea on target time really, just trying to keep the wheels on for the next 12.5 weeks.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good to hear you're back and going very well Nikki, wow, smashing the long runs out! Health problems look well and truly in the past then?

5x1mile at HMP off 30secs just done.

I think when i first saw that I glazed over the miniscule recovery, but my word that goes quickly.

Devised a loop, including my gorgeous pavement stretch I do 200s-800s on, swinging back round, and basically the reverse.

Aim was the 5.45-5.50 HM zone, but was aware that my last half came out 5.56, but I know that was a comeback half.

First rep 5.48, second one 5.50.

My brain was screaming at that point "you are NOT doing 3 more of these mind numbing laps".

Therefore, to lift the monotony, I did rep 3 towards work, and rep 4 back. Spiced it up mentally, but probably caused the slight slow down, 5.51, 5.53 (slight down, slight up), before doing the final rep round the loop again for a 5.48

Sometimes it's easy to tail off in those last seconds right before the rep is recorded...have to stop doing that.

Average just slipping under the bottom end of the zone, 5:49:80! 

Less pleased to find the great skin top I'd tied round a railing out of sight had been nicked by the time I got back! It's funny, i've tied it on a different railing in full sight of the road before, yet this was literally hidden, and this is the one that got nicked!

Is my fault for wearing 2 of my best tops in 1 go..should have used one of those many, many free from races hi vis short sleeved shirts! They aren't a problem to be nicked.

Oh well, was an old top, but happy to get the session in as planned. This could be a colossal mileage week, bigger than the last two of 70.5&69.5

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hi Nikki - likewise, pleased to see you smashing out those long runs! Quick pace too.

Good session that SG - those short recs sound harsh! Can't believe someone stole your top - are police looking for a criminal with no sense of smell image

Right, quick dash out now - hopefully no more of the hail that just beat down on the roof!

• Options

Nikki, I'd hardly say your collection of runs is anything other than long.

I have found out that my body does not really like the stress of continual high mileage. I can run 6 times a week and do maybe 5 to 7 miles a day with a few slightly longer and knock of 45 miles a week easy. I can even make one of the longer runs into a proper long run but when I have to squeeze in second one, then I just don't get the recovery and the niggles begin.  This time round I have a 12 week plan but started 2 weeks in, so really 8 weeks of hard training and the 2 weeks taper. This is just really marathon specific finishing: my base mileage is fine and I have no issues with marathon pace (so I do most of my miles at about 7:30 pace and marathon pace for sub 3 is just inside 7) so all it needs is reminding the mind as much as the body what 2 to 3 hours running is like.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well, that was good timing!  Got back just seconds before a huge hailstorm image

New shoes today - DS Racer 10s. Very good - as light as my Hagios (175g, UK7.5) but more cushioned and grip was fine, even on damp roads, which was a surprise given the sole just feels like polystyrene! They even have a bit of support, which is good as my left arch has been a bit achy of late - possibly because of running either in racing flats or fell shoes with all the studs missing in that area image. Bargain too -a long, boring story but I ended up getting two pairs for £36 each!

Anyway, 8.1M on road, pretty hilly at average 6:45 pace and 3 Starav segment CRs to boot! Happy with that (even if one of those segments has only been run by me image)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

was that an effort run Bus? Or pretending to be an easy run!?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Definitely not easy - I wish! Given the hilliness, I'd put it about the equivalent effort as MP, with a couple of miles at HMP in the middle.

Double xc commuting tomorrow, reps (or tempo) Thu, double xc Fri, Sat off and LSR Sun is now the plan for this week. 

Still trying to decide whether to do Hillingdon Half or not on 12th April. The key issue for me is that I am in the Lakes until the Wednesday before the race and I don't want to have to cut back on the hills!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Pendle fell race on the Saturday 4th April Bus? Was an English champs race last year I think. 30-40 mins drive south of the lakes.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I did think about Pendle Matt, but more like an hour as we are in north easr lakes. Dungeon Ghyll is another possibilty, but still a fair drive from Braithwaite.  Not ruling them out mind!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

don't encourage him Matt, he's trying to lose the pains not get more image

12 done and dusted, 7.03 pace. Pace wise comfy, few little raggedy feels of bits and pieces. Osteo tomorrow. Hopefully some cracks to this and that will reset whatever is out of sync!

Nothing until Friday now, which is an interesting mix of fast 400s and MP.

• Options

Interesting views on the DS racer Bus - I tried them once and didn't really like them. I had to have some when the Tiger Paw was discontinued (shame as I liked them). But as soon as the Gel Hyperspeed came out I bought them as they were supposed to be a Tiger Paw replacement..must be on my 5th pair now.

Stevie - who makes your training plan?

Recovering today with a 10 mile cummuting run after last night's session at Luton. It was 6 x 1500 - the 1500 was 800 on path and 700 on grass with 80 secs recovery. Nagging breeze wouldn't die off too! Did 4.58,4.50,4.52,4.52,4.52,4.48. Shattered at the end as per usual - suppose pleased most with the short recoveries..

Just some 200's tomorrow with the flats on and that will do until the Intercounties on saturday

• Options

Someone has the same loose / lose problems I do

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/474x/46/56/1c/46561c0d3d5ab0f4b95fcc5979f342df.jpg

• Options

Hi Nikki. Definitely long runs in there!

Nice reps SG and nice CRs Bus! I always meant to try a faster ASICs shoe, but feel happy with Skechers GoRun Rides now, though they sound similar. I could do with a new pair though, they don't last long.

That's some session Simon, especially off 80s recovery.

45 mins easy run on Tuesday morning, and 10x2mins off 1min RI this morning on the bike. Love that I can suffer again on the bike. 45mins easy run tomorrow then F off.

This week is only marred by smacking my foot into the bedframe on Monday night. penultimate RH toe is large and red, with suspicious red/black lines on it. I'm sure it's not broken as I can squeeze it and manipulate it without pain (other than downwards) and running Tue AM was bearable. I need to take more care.

X-post with Phil. I have that on a mug. My kids call it the F-mug.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hi Nikki! I have to say I did not enjoy anything about that whole xc experience except possibly the bit just after I started running when at least I wasn't so bloody cold. Good luck in Edinburgh - I might see you as my friend is running it and I will go along to support her (having possibly squeezed in the St Andrews Chariots 5k first!)