Options

VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Options

good luck guys!!

some idiot passneger dropped his bag on my foot on the bus home last night- yep you guessed it the one with no nail on it anymore so taken to off work and off to the walk in clinic to get it checked out!!

od- i won't be able to miss you now with that hair!!!

• Options
    Vik - hope your foot is ok.
    I'm feeling very nervous today, far more than this time last year. Think I need the rolling pin to be shuck in my direction.
  • Options
    Just relax Suze you've done the training, I have had a call from one of my fellow club runners who never ever panics fretting cos the sun is out in London, according to my weather  watching it is only around 17 degrees, is it hotter than that Suze?
  • Options
    Suze I'm bringing the rolling pin to blue start pen 6 in the morning!!!

Right - I'm off to get Little Pinks to sort my music out on my iphone! Mr Pinks is fed and loved up and everything organised here for my boys tomorrow but still feeling uneasy about leaving them. Guess at least I'm worrying about that rather than the little run tomorrow!!!

Rod - AMAZING hair I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    It's 18.5 in Dartford but a nice breeze. Clouds building think we are due a shower.
  • Options
    ok Rod - I'm obsessing I know, but just one last time - what should I have on my displays on the watch - what has everyone else got
  • Options

I love your obsessing Pinks image I have on my main screen 3 viewa, Total Time at the top, average pace and lap pace on the bottom, you will know what pace you want to run at so why not after say 5 miles (look for the mile marker) press the lap button and you can have your average for the first 5 and so on.

If you have auto lap on  you need do nothing you will automatically get your average lap pace for each mile, I think that is as good a way as any to work out your time.

just keep an eye on the total time when you get say half way then you nwill have some idea wher you are, keep it simple I say, that instant pace is hard to work with in my experience.

• Options
    Hi all.  Sorry I know I was only a lurker last year, but just had to pop in now to wish all of you running tomorrow a really great and fab day wherever you are.  Hope the weather isn't too hot.  Hash, promise I'll catch up with you again soon!
  • Options

Are you running Pinkerbelle?????

Go team go. I will be on the settee watching you all on the telly...........image

• Options
    Mark Street 2 wrote (see)

Are you running Pinkerbelle?????

Sssssh!

After today's 15 miles I am glad I decided not to run tomorrow - I can't remember the last time my legs felt that bad

• Options

Mark, you have facebook mail

Bridget image.  I'm off to check your thread to see what I've missed.  

• Options
    Hash - I've started a new thread called 'A marathon in 4:15 (or maybe less). I would post a link but have trouble copying stuff on the iPad
  • Options
    H ope there is lots of good news to report!!! Heard some but need more news how has Hash done? Suze and anyone else out there?? Bit warm out there I would have thought by 2pmish........WELL DONE TO ALL for getting to the start and going for it.......FANTASTIC coverage on the BBC watched it till it went on the red button which we cant get out here in the sticks on normal telly........anyone get on the telly this year for an interview or anything? Enjoy the drinks in Chandos which is where you probably are all now.!!!!!!image
  • Options
    Mark..... Hash didn't run, Pinks did, Suze did,Rod did and Kim did,   will let them tell you all about it.Be prepared for some great stories,,,,.... May want to have a look at FB...
  • Options
    Gatton wrote (see)
    Mark..... Hash didn't run

Oh yes she did! 

• Options
    Hash my love how was it for you today - how many miles????!!!!!

I'm a very smiley girl tonight!!! imageimageimage
  • Options

Hi all, I hope all those who ran today are ok reports awaited image

An absolutely fantastic event with massive crowd support , more tha last year, ok it was warm  at  times but that didn't stop me from coming home in 3.49.47, a PB by 37 minutes and a negative split image

I stuck to my plan, at times it was hard  as the course was busy in parts.

As for the wall, I jumped over it and headed for home image

Well done all for today some great running, Hash Si and Kim it was great to hook up in Chandos which was not actually too crowded.

• Options

Morning all, well thats that done so onto something else now, firstly a nice early start, something Hash said over a year ago, that being it is best not to take a day off after doing a marathon and to keep on your feet, very true so here I am ready to go image Oh and Rio saying take a  small rucksack to transfer your stuff into from the Virgin bag after, brilliant, those bags are not the t easisest hings to carry..

Yesterday I thought was all round an amazing day, the support was unbelievable I am sure the crowds were bigger than last year, knowing what to expect helped a whole bunch, there was a great respect from the people over the last few hundred yards especially, they knew what everyone was going through, I promise I will do a detailed race report later on, I want to do a decent one as I  enjoyed the event so much it really was good and well organised, Virgin did well as did everyone who took part.

Have a good day all.

• Options

Well done Rod!  imageimageimageimage

Regarding the organisation you should have seen it as the winners crossed the line.  

1. Cross line
    2. Vigin towel wrapped round shoulders
    3. Straight to photographers to hold towel out (like flag) for them
    4. Hang around until all 3 across the line
    5. get put into order for group photo

I also watched the multiscreen coverage of the finish.  If anyone looked like standing on the line for more than a couple of seconds they were gettting ushered off.

They also had problems with the timing mats and were having to close one finish at a time to stick them back down!!!!!!

• Options

Helloooooooooooooooooooooimageimageimage

Yesterday was amazing - here goes for a race report.

Met up with my running club and caught the train to Blackheath.  We had a stop off in a pub to use the facilities and the supporters all tucked into bacon sarnies.  Headed off to the blue start and put bags on the trucks, another loo stop and headed to the start pen. 

The gun went off and we started the shuffle forward.  I got over the start line in 5 minutes, a vast improvement on last year.  Blue is so much nicer than the red start.  There was a bit of stop starting in the first mile but if anything it was a good thing as I couldn't go speeding off.  Just started to get into my pace and I spotted a pink shirt with Pinks on the back a few meters ahead of me so thought I'd better say hello.  We then ran together and looking at the splits the first half was very evenly paced.  I got a cheer from my running club at 6 miles, a cheer from my charity a 11 miles and we saw Pinks daughter at 14 miles.  Heading into the isle of dogs the temperature was really increasing and I was constantly pouring water over my head and down my back. 

Mile 17 was a busy one as we passed the RW supporters and saw Blouse and stopped for a photo, then onto seeing my running club again and another cheering point for my charity.  Onwards to Canary Wharf and the massive crowds were amazing.  Saw Alex and Alison, two of this years Paris super sixers and then left the Wharf and the long drag back to embankment.  I was still with Pinks and we were going fine, then I saw seveal people being attended to by St Johns and one bloke strechered off in front of me and I really didn't want to see my marathon end the same way.  At about 21 miles I was so hot I told Pinks I had to walk and she should go without me.  So I adopted a run walk strategy.  I walked about 50 meters then would run for about 5 minuites.  When I ran I was overtaking people and I did alomost catch Pinks up at 23 miles but then lost her again.  Got the biggest cheer yet from my charities cheering point at mile 24.  Then I saw the bloke who was running backwards and I wasn't going to let him beat me so head down, round the corner at Big Ben and on the The Mall.  That final 800m felt longer than last year but head up, arms up, smile for the camera and over the finish line.

So I finished in 4:18:35, thats an improvement of 21 minutes on last year.  A few small blisters but nothing serious.imageimage

Thank you guy and girls for all your support, and well done to all who ran, so whats next?

• Options

whoop whoop!!!!  brilliant!!

i saw rod just after mile 25- screamed like an idiot but he was so in the zone but looked so STRONG!!!

had to leg it back pretty sharpish after a quick beer with other halfs sister how came in with her muched longed for sub 4 and now claims she's retiring from marathons (yeah right i give her until the ballot opens to change her mind) as the trains all had engineering works so what should have been a 25minute nip into town turned into nearly 2 hours image

just entered windsor half in september and run richmond 10k in june- see if i can't put some of this training to good use and knock some time of those pbs!!!

happy monday all- i shall pop open my bubbly tonight and have a glass- maybe not one for all of you indiviudually as i my well end up on the floor image

• Options
    great report Suze and so glad you had a good day....... image
  • Options
    Ultra Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)

Well done Rod!  imageimageimageimage

Regarding the organisation you should have seen it as the winners crossed the line.  

1. Cross line
    2. Vigin towel wrapped round shoulders
    3. Straight to photographers to hold towel out (like flag) for them
    4. Hang around until all 3 across the line
    5. get put into order for group photo

I also watched the multiscreen coverage of the finish.  If anyone looked like standing on the line for more than a couple of seconds they were gettting ushered off.

They also had problems with the timing mats and were having to close one finish at a time to stick them back down!!!!!!

Interesting that Bridget, Virgin will want their pound of flesh though and who can blame them image
    Thats the pull you have when you are the lead sponsor I guess, at least I ran over the finish this year last year I sort of wobbled over!
  • Options

Wow some great pb's considering how warm it must have been for you all!!  Well done to everyone.

I watched with a mixture of wishing I was there and relief that I wasn't (but only because of the weather).  Will be there next year if I don't get through the ballot I am going to support.

I watched one poor chap on the red start who tripped on the starting mat and fell flat on his face.  He picked himself up very gingerly  so I hope he made it round ok.

Glad my tip re the bag helped Rod image

• Options

Great report Suze and a great run too, it's great you were able to run with Pinks.

so a race report, I will do in a couple of posts.

The story starts last Monday, I  am up early which is no problem but for last week I tried to rest when not at work and go to bed a bit earlier each night. 

Training wise I just did 2 5 mile runs on Tuesday and Thursday both in the afternoon.From Thursday I upped  my water intake and tried to eat more carbs but  no real difference to normal, friday and Saturday Idid eat a lot more.

Saturday was spent here at home relaxing and I had a motorcycle ride to take my mind off things.

Saturday evening I set off for town at 8.15 arrived at my destination at 10 and had  a so so nights sleep in Hotel VW, mainly because I was thinking of the task ahead, no worry though as I slept well on Friday.

Up at 5.50 Sunday did the porridge with banana a mug of tea and off down to Quens Park Tube for 7.15 and arrived at Greenwich around ten past 8 I think.

I had arranged to meet Stephen from our running club at the front of red pen 5 on the right , got there 20 minutes before the off and there he was so no drama.

We crossed the line in 3 minutes and really apart from the usual congestion points the first half of the race was done exactly to plan at 1.56.13.

At this point we noticed a lot more slower runners and it was hotting up, those miles were quite hard up to and beyond Mudchute as it was a narrow running area, for the second year running I missed the RW point. ah well. Continued in next post.........

• Options

so mile 17 came and went and we continued onwards still at the same pace or as close as we could get to 8.45, there seemed to be a lot more runners this year very crowded at times but that is part of it, the crowds were very vocal even at this point bigger and louder tha last year, this time I was ready for them though. I was having 3 or 4 lots of water an hour which I felt was right and a gel every 30 minutes from 45 minutes into the race up until around mile 22, at mile 19 we had a quick pit stop at a cheering point for Stephens charity where I blagged a banana off his OH, we lost maybe half a minute or so there but in the scheme of things it didn't matter. Interestingly  I got hot pretty quickly and had a lot of sweat coming off me early on but as the race progressed I didn't really get any hotter which was very handy I can tell you. So past 20 miles and I still felt ok and was beginning to believe that I was getting it right on the day, So past Tower Bridge for the second time and by now a lot of tired people out there, we had steadilly passed a lot of runners from around mile 16 without upping our pace. At mile 22 Stephen told me to crack on if he was holding me up, he wasn't but these things never need to be said, he was getting a bit of cramp and didn't want to slow me up, at this point I slowly picked up the pace, it was hotting up now but by this time I was as Vik say in an earlier post "in the zone" and at a pace of under 8 MM . at one point I had a quick look at the Garminand it showed 7.38 at which point I slowed down. Through mile 23 and under that bulding and onto the Embankment  ( I hope I have got that right!) , by now a lot more tired runners and a few casualties through mile 24 and no sign of trhe wall, I had jumped over it, no need to look at the Garmin now I have don enough races to know I was going faster, to mile 25 and onwards, yes I was tired but not exhausted, just dropped the pace a bit as I saw another runner on the deck with less than 800 meters to go.

Round the corner and onto The Mall , nearly there now, the crowdson the Embankment were truly amazing those who have been there will no what I mean, the crowds on the finish straight were totally appreciative of what each and every runner had just done, at a guess there were quite a few past competitors in those seats . I saw the clock and thought "I may have my sub 3.50 here" I crossed the line in 3.49.47, conserving that energy for the final push and my extra training   had paid off. I collected my medal and goody bag reclaimed my baggage got changed and walked up to Chandos for a well deserved shandy where i met Hash Simon and Kim. a great, no, fantastic dayI will remember for a while, there is nothing I would have done differently.

I have chosen the Virgin STATS as they show a good consistency with the splits , those figures show a lot , I am more tha happy that I was able to get a negative split this yesr.

Sorry about the length of the posts image

• Options

Looks like the link doesn't work, can be seen on the virgin website image

• Options

Well done Rod - looks like it went totally to plan.

I did go to Chandos but couldn't see anyone so went and met my club runners in a different pub.

• Options

grat report rod!!

just back from my irst post marathon run- 5k in 29.37 which is a new PB for imageimage it felt really good just be out in the park being able to run for the sake of running!!!

• Options
    I really didn't feel too bad this morning - could walk downstairs forwards and only slightly stiff - had a hot tub, went to work, had a massage when I got home (that was a bit ouchy especially on the left side) but am stiffening up a bit more tonight. Still feeling quite hungry and need to catch up on a lot of lost sleep from last 2 weeks but i still have a stupid grin on my face image