Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Bad luck on the mystery virus DT.

Good session Andrew. The 10+ at MP is fine if you choose a realistic MP (i.e. your actual MP in a marathon race). In the past I have taken MP sessions as being "ideal MP" (based on McMillan's calculator, or Hadd's 80-83% maxHR) and that is much tougher for me (7:20/mi as opposed to 8/mi). But having done a proper lactate threshold test in a lab before London marathon, I now know my LT pace is bang on my actual MP.

Run commuting today ... 6 miles in and 5 miles home.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Dr Dan- The tricky balancing act I find is that mp is a pace you can hold for 26 miles, Therefore, if you are only doing say 5 miles at mp, I am more inclined to run it a bit faster to get a slightly better training effect.

So are you saying that you mp and LT paces are identical? Doesn't that deft logic as your LT pace is that which you can hold for 10 miles?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    It's "tempo pace" which is supposed to be maintainable for 1 hour. That would be "LTP" as in "lactate turn point" (not "lactate threshold pace"), and my lab test suggested that was about 6:55/mi which is pretty much spot on what my 5K times suggested at the time. The pace at "Lactate Threshold" (LT) is a predictor of MP, and that came out as 8/mi, bang on my actual MP in London.

Agree that MP sessions are only really useful at longer distances. For 5 miles, you may as well do a tempo session.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I've never understood the tempo = pace you could maintain for an hour thing. If that is the case why does 4 or 5 miles at tempo seem so hard, when going by the definition most of us should be able to do 8-9 miles at that pace within an hour? 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    don't forget the magic of a race number!. I do my tempos at 6.20-6.30mm. 5 miles is atrocious. Yet my 10 mile race pace in December was 6.20. If I did 5 miles at 6.20 in training I'd feel beasted. 
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Fair point - it just seems a bit pointless for the books to describe tempo in that fashion, when we all know that if a plan asked you to try and knock out a 9 mile tempo session people would think you were nuts if you even considered it!

Did 5.5 easy paced last night. preparing myself for he intervals tonight, which I think will be quite tough. Looking back, when I did this session 2 weeks ago (only 3 reps, not 4 though) I did two a bit too quickly and the last a bit slowly, so I need to pace myself better tonight. Will be a bit cooler than 2 weeks ago though.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

PS - how is the injury shaping up Aley?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

you would be hard pressed to find a book that asked for 9 miles at tempo. I think even p and d mara schedule peaks at 7. Most go with 4-6 miles.

There is then an argument that for slower runners, that would be too long. However people should read the schedules and remember they are generally aimed at people with a threshold of 7mm or below (the clue with p and d is in the name of the book 'advanced marathon running'). Doing 7 miles at threshold if you are running 9mm would be too much

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

That's my point I suppose, no plan would ask you to actually run at tempo pace for an hour, so why bother quantifying it as "the pace you can maintain for an hour"? Perhaps better to describe as "10k pace + x%/secs"?

Anyway, enough semantics for one day!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That, or a pace in between 10k and half mara pace is how I often gauge it if I have not recently run a 10 mile race.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Intervals went well last night - four 1k reps (target pace 6:39m/m) off 400m jogged recoveries. Rep paces were 6:36m/m, 6:38, 6.39, 6.39. Last rep felt hard, but not impossible and I think I could have done a fifth rep, or at least a 500m fifth rep.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Decent session there, AD? Was it on the track? Around 4:06 pace per km? I don't know that I would go for a fifth, but work on reducing the recovery interval to 2 mins, then gradually down to 1:30.

Things not good here, frustratingly! Saw my medic friend last Tuesday and he confirmed an Achilles issue. Had already booked a consultation with this guy: http://www.mihp.co.uk/consultant/dr-john-rogers/
    Former club mate and international 800 runner and GB team doctor. Saw him on Thursday. Scan said it was indeed a serious Achilles issue. The road back is going to be long! Looking at three months approximately...for most people, and that doesn't take age into consideration. Going to try a course of extra corporeal shock wave, plus lots of weight bearing physiotherapy plus the usual stretches. The frustrating thing was I was in decent shape and that will, of course, go pretty rapidly!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    good session, Andrew. Pretty precise pacing!

Alehouse, sorry to hear of the seriousness of it. For someone that runs everyday it must be a big loss but being able to get out. 

first 20 done today. Tried a new route, which I won't again as it has 1400 foot of climbing. It's absolutely wiped me out and I ran at a sensible 8.18 mm.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Sorry to hear of the serious injury Alehouse. I am right in thinking that you have had achilles problems before? Do you have biomechanic issues that need addressing with a change of form or just unlucky?

Interesting about LT Dr. Dan I hadnt realised that before. I always though LT was the pace you could run 10 mile for too, just goes to show.

First ever DT19? Or first of this campaign?

7 mile undulating race for me today, 4 race in 8 days (5000m, 400m, 5 mile xc and 7 miles!), which includes 3 pbs and one race win. Sadly not a pb at 5000m, well not my fastest 5k anyway, actually my first 5000m. Still it was 30 degrees and a race of three people (I lapped the woman in 3rd twice and won by a minute).

Tomorrow is my assessed practical for my coaching course so I really should go to bed, but para athletics is on the tv and s awesome!!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    And awesome to see you, Curly

Had an Achilles op in 2013 which was put down to both over-use and wearing orthotics which kept my foot too stable and was effectively a repetitive strain injury. Have been so careful since as I didn't want the same on the other foot: was very sudden and surprising. The first time was coming up to 60 and training with young uni kids. Not sure what I can blame this time!

5k on the track is officially further than 5 miles on the road! Well done on the win and hope you pop in to say you have passed your coaching course, at least!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Yes sorry for being so absent. Especially after promising to be here more.

Ah other achilles. Bad luck!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good to see you popping back, Curly. Sounds like you are going well.

First 20 this campaign. Many others in the bank. I'm kind of regretting pitching for an Autumn half with London booked next year. I'm finding it really tough going. It just needs to serve it's purpose!!
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Alehouse - Sorry to hear of the injury diagnosis.

The reps were around some local playing fields - fairly flat which was good. Yes, rest intervals were probably about 2.15/2.20 for 400m jogging. Could reduce that I suppose.

DT - you're doing well to be knocking out 20 milers at this stage - must still be fairly early in the marathon training plan?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    marathon is 13 weeks. I'm on week 5 as I go on holiday first 2 weeks in August. I tend to aim for 2 x 20 per month in the 3 months prior to race month. It spreads the load and allows it to all be absorbed. 
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse thats a pass for me :)Now a fully qualified Athletics Coach (level 2 in old money). I would like to progress to level 3, which is done mostly by online modules these days, so I will take a look at available funds from EA (if any) once my coach card comes through.

Sadly got back after a very long and positive day and 2 hours traveling time to find my bike had been nicked from our local tube station (3.5 miles away). Its why we have insurance after all, but still annoying after spending all day helping people and getting better at helping people in future.

I also was going to test cycling into London tomorrow :'(

Ah I thought so DT19 what sort of times are you running at the moment? The pace is impressive for a 20 miler. Nice plans re: balancing the long run load.

AndrewD reducing recovery is a great way of making a session harder, first step is to think about are they consistent or getting longer as the session progresses?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Curly, well done on the coaching badge. Hard luck on the bike. At least it was insured.

yesterday's 20 had 1400 feet of climbing  so was unduly difficult for a first 20. I have been a little indifferent since London and not quite on top form. Have done 3 x 10k, the first two 39.4x then Wednesday's in 40.02. First non sub 40 in two years nearly. In a bizarrely reassuring twist I came down with a stomach bug about 3 hours after the race which has troubled be right through to midday today.

Pleasant 4 mile recovery early evening gives me 40 miles for the week. Ready to start again tomorrow!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done Curly...and I don't mean about the bike! 

Are you getting a decent long run in mid-week also, DT: 13 to 15 miles if your long run is 20?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    strughling at the minute timewise due to top many work functions so tipping out at 8. Planning from this week to push that out to 10. 
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Shame about the bike Curly. :'( I know I'd be gutted if I lost mine. Fantastic on he coach qualification!

Yes, LT and LTP, threshold, tempo are often confused and used to mean the same thing. This figure shows it well ... in fact it is very like my own lactate threshold test, except my HR is about 10 bpm lower throughout.

http://cache.sporttracks.mobi/blog/images/2015/08/lactate-chart.png

Alehouse - sorry to hear about your struggles. :'(

Nice intervals session Andrew!

Good 20 at this stage DT. B)I have 12 weeks to go and won't be hitting 20 for another couple of weeks.

Week 4 done for me according to plan.

Saturday's parkrun was a disappointing 20:55 (but still a good workout) ... Sunday's 16 miles was at 8:23/m (so MP+23s at 71% maxHR) and went really well.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Good training Dr. Dan.

On the LT stuff, I had mine and my VO2 Max tested in 2014, figures were:

15.1kph (6:23 mins/mile)

Obviously the numbers will be different today. I am fitter now (at the time I had run 21 minute 5k, recently ran 19:45). Could it be they called it LT, but its actually LTP they measured?

I never run anywhere near my supposed max HR (from the same testing period - 196) in races and often only get to 150. My avg HR at Saturday's race was 134, but I felt pretty much I gave it all I had. 

Just wondering I am not running hard enough! I am pretty lazy :p

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That does seem unusual Curly. My average hr in a race is circa 175-180. The highest ive seen is 192 I think. An HR of sub 140 for me would be pure recovery effort.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Curly ... you'd expect to get something like your 10 mile race pace from LTP and your MP from LT. Alongside the weird maxHR, I'd view those numbers with some suspicion. They probably gave your someone else's results by accident. :o

134 bpm would be about MP for me, and my maxHR is about 180ish. I'd expect 155-160 bpm in a 5K/parkrun.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Dr. Dan interesting. I hadnt thought of that!

Anyway the numbers are so old as to be meaningless.

What I will take from it is:
    1. I probably could have run harder on Saturday, but I knew I was on for a big pb (2:01 in the end), and I was a bit worried about my niggly feet on the downhills
    2. I need to have another go at the sub 40 in my 10k race on Sunday

Yesterday was tough after the course on Sunday - all sorts of weird aches from long jump, shot put and max sprints! In the end though:
    1. hr strength and conditioning work
    2. 1:15 ballet class
    3. 6.5m run

Today will be stretching/rolling and club session. Missing the bike already as it makes such a good way to fit recovery in without putting any more stress on the legs :(

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Good luck with the sub-40 attempt Curly ... I think that ship has sailed for me, although never say never. Yes bike is great for recovery - it has become a critical part of my training because of that. Also handy for getting to work! :-)

6 miles on the bike this morning followed by a 10.6 mile run at 7:59/mile, bang on MP. Came out at only 72% maxHR (130 bpm), which was rather pleasing!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good luck with the sub 40 attempt, Curly. I cant recall if you have said before, but what is your current pb?

10  miles easy yesterday lunchtime. HR was a bit higher than usual but it was pretty hot.