Options

Transitions in longer events

I can totally see the point in being as fast as possible in transition for Sprint and Oly distance as the shorter the race the more important the transition time.

However, I've got my first HIM coming up in 2 weeks and have been thinking about transitions a bit. 

First things first, I'm aiming to COMPLETE not COMPETE but I don't want to waste time for the hell of it either. 

A couple of things I'm thinking about, mainly related to a cold swim and a cold ride. It seems to be that I might be in a better state on the ride by swimming in trunks under my wettie, then pulling on a dry pair of proper cycle shorts for the bike, then swapping for a normal pair of shorts for the run?

Do people tend to just trisuit the whole thing or is it normal for middle (read back!) of the packers to wear cycle shorts etc?

Also has anyone got any ideas as to how to keep my feet warmer on the bike? Someone suggested taping up the vents in my bike shoes, otherwise I think I'll have numb feer on the bike. Not disasterous but if there are special socks or other solutions that people can recommend I'm all ears. I can't see me wanting to put overshoes on in T1image

Comments

• Options

Even I managed HIM in trishorts with pussy pad in. If I can, you can too. And I start moaning at ten miles. Well, more 5 actually. But do splash in some chamois creme of some description.

If you suffer on the feet, go for the overshoes. 30 seconds will make 56 miles a lot more comfy. You might get away with socks though. You have vents in your shoes? How poshimage

• Options
    Dustboy wrote (see)

You have vents in your shoes? How poshimage

They are £30 shoes from Decathlon!! Maybe "holes" would be a better descriptionimage
  • Options

How about windproof socks like SeakSkinz?

I've never raced in them but I do a lot of dry spring/autumn training miles with them on.

• Options
    Haven't noticed anyone changing into cycling shorts............the main reason most people go commando for the cycling and so if your going to strip off naked after the swim and then put on shorts you risk getting penalty points for nudity.........image
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

if you're using one-strap tri shoes then pull the overshoes up over the shoe up to the strap.  Then, when you put your feet into them during the race, you just have to tighten the strap and pull the overshoe over the heel.  Should only add 5-10secs.

Are you intending to cycle with the swim trunks under the cycle shorts?  Could do.  You'll still get a chill though if its windy and you have damp trunks/shorts.  Tri-suits will be nippy to start but will soon dry out on the bike.

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options

I wouldn't bother changing shorts, tri shorts or a tri suit will be fine.  Apart from anything else you risk running foul of the 'no nudity' rule, although after 1900 m in very cold water maybe no-one will notice.

I'd pull on some socks for the bike, but it's the top half where you'll lose most heat if you start out cycling wet on a cold day.  A dry top might be an idea, but people often stuggle to get a tight top on when they're wet.  A jacket is an alternative.  Armwarmers are good because you can roll them down if you get warm later on.  Don't forget gloves if it's cold.  I'll keep a pair on the bike so I can put them on once I get going rather than muck about in T1

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "although after 1900 m in very cold water maybe no-one will notice."

I'm not even sure there would be anything to see!! image

changing kit is just faff - stick to the same trikit throughout.....

I don't bother with socks for sprints or oly runs but will do so for 1/2 and full as the shoes I wear for those shred my feet otherwise - I have differnt shoes which are good sockless for short stuff

as CD says, armwarmers are good - combined with a gilet with a windproof front, that will keep you warmer. alternatively a fill sleeve windproof jacket. don't bother with gloves for anything up to a 1/2 - not necessary. and I never bother with socks for the bike at any race distance - the shoes I use are very comfy

I did a sprint tri last Sunday - water was 12C, air was 8C but I decided not to bother with additional kit when I came out of the swim and just toughed it out - hands and feet were like blocks of ice though!! for a 1/2 IM this weekend, I will be much colder after a 1900m swim so I will wear extra even though it's meant to be warmer as I'll be on the bike for longer so will cool down a lot

oh - a good layer of fat helps as well... image

• Options

Is that the Marshman this weekend FB?

I hate cold hands & feet so I tend to wear socks & gloves when others don't.  I haven't tried different shoes that don't need socks for the run.  The memory of the skin coming away from the ball of my foot halfway around an Oly run is still too vivid.

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    it is Dave. you doing it?

that isn't a great memory there....still it could have been like WillHeWontHe who did the Vit run with a razor blade in his shoe! he didn't know it was there and only realised something was up when he saw a bloody foot at the end.

I use Asics Nimbus for long distance and DS Trainers for short as they basically feel similar (less cushioning in the DS but fine for me up to 10k). been thinking of getting some Noosa or similar to replace the DS when they wear out which might be a long way ahead yet as I don't train in them
  • Options

FB - no, I'm doing the Swashbuckler the following weekend.  A friend at work who's also doing Roth is doing the Marshman+, the 3/4 IM version.

I heard about the razor blade thing.  I never heard how it came to be there though.  I can understand stuff that you normally want to make sure you've got in transition, like gels, or contact lenses, but a razor blade?

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    good luck with Swashbuckler - and hope the weather warms up for you. I'm seriously thinking of stepping down from the M'man 1/2 to the sprint if it stays this cold!! mellifera is doing the M'man + as part of her Roth plans

• Options
    Just a thought.if your planning on using your wet swimming costume under your cycling shorts.have you tried this in practise...............you might find it uncomfortable and it might chaff a bit???
  • Options

What about full IM events.

Do people just go with a set of tri shorts?   6 hrs plus on a micro thin pad feels like it may be a long time.

or do people add a set of cycling shorts over the top for the bike only.  I tried this for a ride a few weeks ago and this was ok..

• Options
    I'm going for a full kit change in T1, and again in T2.  As to no nudity, there are private changing areas, so nudity is allowed.  Comfort is king for me.  You can;t ever be too comfortable, you can be uncomfortable.
  • Options
    OrangeCannon wrote (see)

What about full IM events.

Do people just go with a set of tri shorts?   6 hrs plus on a micro thin pad feels like it may be a long time.

or do people add a set of cycling shorts over the top for the bike only.  I tried this for a ride a few weeks ago and this was ok..

I did full kit changes in Both T1 and T2 for IMUK, I would much rather dry everything off to avoid chaffing, better to lose five mins than have several hours of discomfort.
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I raced IM in my pirate kit because it's the most comfortable stuff I have to cycle in and the shorts are pretty good to run in.  It all dries off pretty quickly anyway so I had no chaffing problems.  I would try it before the day though.  Do some decent length rides and runs in your full kit to make sure it is comfortable.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I think it's an entirely personal choice

for my first IM I changed out of tri shorts and into running shorts for the run, but for all the rest I've worn trii shorts for the whole thing - no problems with chafing or saddle sores, but I've got plenty of padding on my arse image
  • Options

I found the pirate tri shorts really comfortable and I was alot more than 6 hours in the saddle............I had trained all my long rides in them though so that must have helped........

TRiumphant.......I didn't see any private changing areas at my Ironman or the halves i have done.............and I think I was too worried about meeting cutoffs to go looking for themimage

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Seren I think if there is a transition tent you can get naked
  • Options

I wasn't planning on any nudity!

Some speedos on under wettie, then just pull cycling shorts on over them. Then in T2, whip off cycle shorts (holding tightly onto speedos!) and pull on running shorts?

I've gone 40km in Pirate tri shorts and they were fine, just thinking about twice as far. For a 2 minute change the decreased risk in chaffage (which would make the run hell) might be worth it?

• Options
    Pants are pants. image
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

Speedos under cycling shorts??? image  They're pretty much guaranteed to chafe.

• Options
    I changed in IMCH - had a towel in transition anyway, so just wrapped it around waist and changed underneath. Meant clothing was one less thing to worry about, but might see if I can manage with tri shorts this year.
  • Options

Ali - go for a long bike ride this weekend in speedos and bike shorts to find out. 

I'm aiming to do everything in tri shorts and a pirate tank. But spose I'd better have a jacket handy for the bike cos weather forecast not looking warm for SwashB.

• Options
    i agree with regards to it all being a personal choice but at the vit i wore a tri suit and pulled on a long sleeve tech top over for the bike leg (rolled up so that it didnt get stuck at my shoulders, simply put your arms in and roll it down image). but it was probably warmer than your race will be...
  • Options

I did the F3 Evening sprint last night.      750m OW swim, 20km bike and 5km run

Did the swim, took off wetsuit (and pirate swim hat) and did bike in Tri Shorts and Tri Top (worn under wettie)  plus a cycling jacket. Just put Tri shoes on the feet with no socks. <40 minutes later I got off the bike and started the run.

I could not feel my feet. It felt like I was running on stumps. Luckily they had pretty much returned to normal after 5km of running.

Air Temp was about 10 DegC. Some of the other competitors mentioned numb feet at the end. If the temp is anything like 10 DegC for the Swashbuckler I will take the extra time to dry feet and go for socks or overshoes. If I just go for socks I will stick the overshoes in a pocket (along with gloves).

I will more likely be troubling the cut-off than bothering the winners and therefore happy to waste 30 secs to be more comfortable for 3 hours of biking. Will probably just leave trishorts on after the swim.

Dave

• Options
    nowt worse than being cold on the bike.... gloves are a must, you can always take em off.

i suffer cold feet and hands... im a right softy....

in IMUK i got the prize for longest transitions T1 21mins & T2 35mins as i could barely walk off the bike - took all the time i needed to massage ibuprofen gelinto my knees n ankles....

regarding trisuit or trishorts.... remember the longer the race the more chance youll have GI issues ... trishorts are best for 'easy' access.

another SS top tip is earplugs for the swim and bike - gushing cold water in the ears really affects me and then cold wind afterwards ... brrr makes me shivers just thinking about it

keswick long race next week - first ow of the year.... better get mi suitcase packed..
  • Options
    Pirate shorts are perfect just on their own ..... no chaffing or nuffin

*not quite on thier own - I do wear other stuff as well