Options

Painful calf

Comments

• Options
    Cybill, my calf isn't as bad as I thought. It is a strain rather than tear. Your symptoms seem the same as mine and I have been told to have 2 more tratments this week with plenty of Ice / heat and gentle stretching. In a week should be able to do some cycling / xtraining and in 2 weeks should be able to run. Which leaves 1 week before London. I'm hoping to be OK and think you should be as well, but it may be best to leave any running for at least a week, rather than it flare up again. If you have done enough training, you won't loose that much fitness.
  • Options
    Hi Nick,
    I ran (9.2 miles) for the 1st time in a week yesterday after deciding the rest would help the calf.I had no problems with the top of the calf behind the knee, however I found that the lower inner area of the calf became very tight.
    After plenty of stretching a hot bath and gentle massage the tightness isn't so bad this morning,gonna go to the gym tonight and go on the bike then my regular appt for massage tomorrow.If need be will then rest 'tll next Sunday.
  • Options
    Cybil,glad to hear you are OK. Just take it easy. Don't want to strain itagain. Plenty of stretching. Had physio tonight and should be able to go out for a gentle run later in the week. So things are looking OK for 18th.
  • Options
    Had calf tear, saw phsyio for deep tissue massage, podiatrist who gave me 4mm inserts for shoe on the leg that was shorter than the other, saw consultant to oversee treatment, gait analysis to get right shoes, 6 months with no running but lots of gym time - cross-trainer in particular, lots of stretching of calf and hamstring then started running a month ago - 10 minutes of calf stretching before each run - built up to 7 miles and then ping - another calf injury!!! Someone out there please help - there must be a way of stopping this from happening????
  • Options
    Thanks guys ,just read some of the threads regarding calf tears.Trained pretty well for the Swansea 10K,even managed a personal best.Ran an 8 mile training run with a mate a few days later had the same "just been kicked" feeling in my right calf with about 3 miles to go.Was painful to touch for a couple of days after.Gave it a week and tried another 10k, again the pain returned with about 2 miles to go.Taking some of the posted advice,and will take it easy for a bit.
  • Options
    I was taking part in a level one football coaching course on 19th Feb and felt a sharp pain to rear and side of my right calf.I visited the doctor today who thought I might be out for 6 weeks. I have an appointment with the sports physio tomorrow 22nd Feb. Does this mean that for this Tommy the London Marathon is over? i just ran my best 1/2 marathon last week 1.36. Or Will I be able to cross train my way around it and still partake?
  • Options
    Can anyone differentiate between a tear and a strain, and if people think its the latter how soon can I try and run again (like this Sunday) ? Is there any different approach to recovery for a strain than a tear ? Last night got a pain in my calf, mid back, after 10 mins but carried on. Seems to be much milder that what many have experienced. A bit confused because I found uphill easier than down. Can now still feel it but is more apparent with leg bent up than when its stretched straight.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't give up if I was you, it happened to me about 3-4 weeks when I upped my mileage one week, I rested completely 1 week and am fine now and back on schedule. I don't know if what it was but it couldn't have been a tear. Like everyone else has descibed though it was a very sharp pain and I had to hobble back to mates house, had pain for few days and massage and since then (touch wood) its been fine. Strange one..
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies definately a torn calf as confirmed by Doc and Physio. Now into heavy sessions of physio and ultra sound but my physio has also introduced accupuncture to ease off muscles that have locked up.Physio has not given up hope and will give it two more sessions next week.With regards to accupunture no pain and definately has eased off locked muscles.Also recommended use of arnica cream to bring out bruising (You can also try pills instead of cream).
  • Options
    Well it looks like the game is up the physio say's London now out of the picture. Still I have now refocused and if we can get this problem sorted Blackpool is looking good for June.I am still undergoing physio and it is starting to ease off.In 10 days I hope to be able to start running 1 or 2 mile on the flat. Look ahead for next 10 days going into the gym to ride a bike with little or no resistance.
  • Options
    Help!! I am due to run my first ever 10k on sunday (3rd April). I did a 60 min run last sunday and felt sudden pain in my right calf. I have rested for 4 days and, because it felt fine, went on a short 20 min run this morning and the pain is back. Does this mean my first race is finished?? All that training!! Lots of advice needed please, have only been running for 6 months!!
  • Options
    When in doubt rest and ice rather than cause more damage.Seek medical advice.Im still only 80% fit after 8 weeks of physio after tearing my calf muscle.I am allowed to start light jogging on the flat this week.I may with luck get back to a marathon by August.
  • Options
    I've had persistent problems with sore/ strained/ torn calf muscles and finally went to a physio who diagnosed scar tissue from old football/ squash injuries.

This explains why the injury would recur without any warning and often in the middle of relatively long runs when well warmed-up.

4-6 weeks of massage/ ultra-sound to break down the scar tissue together with regular stretches to lengthen the muscle should sort it but there is no quick fix for this type of injury and its likely to be 3-4 months before I'm back to normal.

Lessons learned -

this is probably not an injury that will clear up with rest alone - seek advice as I should have done earlier

prepare for a period of inactivity although an exercise bike should be ok to keep ticking over

come back slowly - treadmill sessions ideally with rest days in between and

streeeetch!!
  • Options
    Steve.I injured my calf playing football and am still recovering. I had a relapse last week and have gone back 4 weeks in my recovery. The good news is I appear to have found out what was causing the problem.My football boots have now gone in the bin and I shall be looking for new ones.Or the other simple answer may be to stop playing football and just coach from the side lines. I had got back to about 85% fitness and was jogging 5/6 miles with no problems.I shall now go back to 2/3 miles on level ground no hills,no sprints,no cross country.I like yourself will be using my bike to ease out the muscle.
    All the best with your recovery and just dont over do the training a little often is the best I can advise.
  • Options
    I had terrible problems with my calf (posted on here a year ago as Hozza) but have finally got it cracked. Occasionally it comes back but I've learnt my lesson now.

What works for me:
    1. Obviously wearing the right trainers makes a big difference.
    2. Rest it! I'd continue to run on a twinge in my calf but have learnt through painful experience that it is one injury where a twinge means stop. A twinge would turn into searing agony and sometimes mean I couldn't walk on it for two weeks.
    3. Gentle self massage to ease it out.
    4. Ice it every day.
    5. I use a wobble board or a step to gently stretch it. I find a wobble board good but it's not really necessary.
  • Options
    Hello again - after 9 weeks of physio I might be making progress - but I'm not convinced.

The calf problem is now isolated to a point on the inside of the leg which is hard and knotted to the touch, but not painful. I can press on the scar tissue which is close to the surface and feel it give as I massage it- the following day its back again the same.

Its definitely old scar tissue which my phsyio says will never be fully eliminated.

I've seen a podiatrist and had orthotics fitted to my shoes but am still breaking them in. This may correct my running gait to take pressure off the lower leg - if it doesn't then I'm not sure what to do - has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks Steve, Leeds
  • Options
    Tore mine badly yesterday, 30 minutes into a 60 min run. It was a long, painful, slow trot back and has been very painful since. At least the next race isnt until 11/09 and by reading through these threads at least I know what I have to do (Rest, Ice, Massage, ultrasound and more rest). I can cope with most of that but am not very good at the resting bit and hate missing any of the three per week runs!!!!!
  • Options
    HELP!!, Am i about to experience the same problem. On holiday (no training taking place) I started to feel a mild cramp feeling in one calf. On return, and continuing to train for the Great North Run, the calf is quite sore. Am I seeing the early signs of a tear as I do not think I had a particularly punishing return to training. Any ideas would be good.
    Have never been to an injury clininc but would not mind if it will be of help
  • Options
    i started with a sharp pain on the inside of the lower calf about 5 miles into a 10 mile run 2 days after the hilliest long run in our recent training. after a bit of rest and reading these messages i took the advice and went to the physio. he diagnosed tight calves which prevent proper heel strike by making the ankle inflexible. the way this is compensated for is by locking the knee, which makes the heel go back further, or by over pronating to bring the heel down. as i also have high arches this is the way i have strained the calf, probably on the extended hilly run where the heel is pushed back more.the strain is in the tendon of the tibialis posterior muscle in my case. physio recommended x-training, gradual re-introduction of running and masses of stetching. The usual method of calf stretching has to be done with a block (book or doorstop kinda size) under the big toe to prevent pronation during the stretch. also never strech a cold muscle so only after excersize or a hot bath. also for the future shoes with positive rand (higher at the heel than the toe) and never ever ever be persuaded to wear an orthotic which will only make matters worse. one last thing lasonil ointment (heparinoid) is supposed to help tendons heal so i'm slapping that on at the moment. will run again monday and see how it goes
  • Options
    While flying last March I tore my right calf - thought I'd been shot - 5 weeks of physio sorted it. In July while jogging it went again. 7 weeks this time and a stone heavier than I was in January. Jan 06 same calf same place again - different physio. He pinpointed the problem, small tears in the tendon at the outside of the calf due to twisting my ankle on rough ground on all 3 occasions - usually the day before the tear - has caused the tendon to build scar tissue and attatch itself to the bone. Extreme agony in the guise of physiotherapy is bringing back the integrity of the tendon and strengthening ang stretching exercises are bringing back the calf. So after losing most of last year to injury I've changed my New Year Resolution to 'Get Fit, Avoid Injury'
  • Options
    As I was jogging I felt what I thought was an increasingly bad cramp in my calf which suddenly became much more intense. It lessened enough to walk home but still hurt afterwards and although it got better in a few days I still thought it had been a severe cramp. The same thing happened again a couple of weeks later when I resumed running and a fried who is a vet said it's probably a muscle tear. Sure enough google found me this thread and I can see that that is exactly what it is.
    Thanks to all the contributors to this thread you've saved me a trip to the doc and I know what I have to do to avoid it again.
    Great stuff.
  • Options
    Uh oh....why am I back on an injury thread, when I've barely got over the last injury?! Very helpful asnd informative though thanks. I have physio booked for Monday for calf problem (I hope strain, not tear...watch this space!!), and then collect my orthotics on Thursday, to remedy a metatarsal problem. I guess the two problems are probably linked. The podiatrist, when he did his gait analysis bit (just before calf problem), seemed surprised I wasn't suffering other problems.

Good luck, Helen and Michael!! Let me know how you get on. (I could certainly do with the moral support. I am hopeless at being injured!)
  • Options
    Go easy runner bean, since new year I've had 2 calf tears and 1 calf strain, I wish i had 3 legs but sadly no. Lots of physio seems to have me back on the road again though.
  • Options
    oh, oh, I don't like the sound of these tears. I'm hoping mine is not torn although it is painful. 2 weeks away from FLM and in my taper. I had an unexpected walk in unsuitable shoes last week and it left me with a niggle in my right calf. I assumed it was just a tight muscle and during a long run would ease out. Unfortunately today it grew worse during my lsr, 6m from home. A visual of the pain would be an area the size of a 50p coin in the lower part of my calf and it feels deep. Its not a stabbing pain but it hurt just as much to walk on it as to run, so I finished the run and have been icing it since then. It's sore. With the taper in wk 2 now, I can afford a couple of days rest. There's no way I''m not going to London, but how do you rate the chances of fixing the muscle before I go and surviving the race????
  • Options
    nurse ted,

i have a pretty much identical problem to yours, though admittedly your leg sounds a little worse than mine. i've emailed a few of the people who have posted onto this forum in the past few years, who got calf pain in the weeks before the London Marathon, and the feedback i've had so far is: rest, no running, X-training to keep you going, ice as you've been doing and regular ibuprofen. i spoke to one of the physios at the gym i use, and on their advice have tentatively tried using the X-trainer too. this seems to be ok, as you're not actually lifting your feet off the "pedals" -- and hence you don't use your calf muscles. it's all in the quads, it appears (i was never a fan of this device until now). i did 45 minutes on it this evening, with no pain, and i checked my pulse a few times throughout and it was ticking along at a decent 145-150 on a Level 5/70rpm setting. so am confident that even though i'm not running, i'm not losing fitness at this point. not sure what time you're aiming for, but i was in the sub 4hour hopefuls, so have already done a 20 and 22 miler in training, so i reckon that if i just keep things going, i should be ok. i don't intend to actually run again until Sunday week. incidentally, in addition to the 4 bits of advice earlier, the physio also reckoned a bit of sports massage wouldn't go amiss, a comment also echoed in many Forum replies and books i've read. the going rate seems to be about £25 to £30/hour down my way -- but to be honest i'd try anything if it's going to help. Like you, I've been religiously following the schedule since January 9th and in no way do i intend not to be on the starting line at 9.45am on the 23rd! Also, everyone has said that by employing these strategies they finished the course, albeit in about 30 mins more than they'd originally hoped for. this is my first (and last!) marathon, and everyone who's been giving me advice has said to enjoy the day, and not stress about the time you do, however hard that might be...

Good luck for the next few days, and in the race itself. keep us up to date on how you go.
  • Options
    I play a lot of football and also do a bit of road running to build my stamina. My furthest run tends to be 10k. However, recently when both walking and running i am experiencing servere pain in my calves (mostly my left one). When running I use a pair of Ascis Gel Cumulus which are reasonably good shoes and dont seem to be the problem. I am not sure if the pain is caused by a muscle tear (similar to those described) or whether I simply have 'tight' calves and am not stretching enough. The pain can cause a numbness feeling in my left foot when doing say distances of 6 - 10k. When playing football though I dont seem to experience this pain as running shorter distances at short bursts of speed. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be my problem?
  • Options
    Nurse Ted, Yorkshore Lad, can I join your club? I have a pain in my right calf that has appeared in the last 4 weeks, and got particularly bad after a fast 1/2 marathon back then. Have been trying to rest a bit, and keep the long runs going, as I was aiming for around 3:30 on23rd. Now I am thinking that if I can come in under4 I will be happy. In fact, if I can finish I will be happy. I guess I just need to rest and hope now, nothing more to be done. Although I may try and get a massage this week ... my guess is that most masseurs are busy this fortnight!

Stretching, rest, ibuprofen gel, ice packs. I'll give them all a go. Cold baths work well for me too, at least it takes the mind off the calf.
  • Options
    oh dear wombat, you're most welcome to join our club, but sadly it's not a good circle to be entering!! i have to say that my legs are already a little better for easing off so much, and, if anything were a bit improved (!) by the x-trainer tonight. i did over an hour today (kind of like a tempo run!), and am all right just now. not too sore at all, in fact. i find they're at their worst when i wake up on a morning, which doesn't totally bode well for the big day... i reckon the ibuprofen is certainly doing the trick, and will see what happens with my physio session. as you say, my local sports masseur was hectic -- she squeezed me in at 9pm tomorrow, only as i'm doing FLM so soon.

ahhh, why do we all do this??!! oh yes, it's fun, remember!

all the best, YL
  • Options
    tore mine 10yds from the line in a ten miler putting on a sudden sprint to the finish like being shot in the leg .i had a niggle in the calf for a week previous im also three weeks into running in some new trainers thought the niggle was all part of running in new shoes should i ditch my new trainers they felt really good ive also upped my training slightly just wanna sort it out now so when i can run again it doesnt re occur help
  • Options
    Lowth Lowthian from what you have written I would guess that sometime soon when you run again this calf pain will return. I would suggest a visit to a physio to see if you have torn the muscle. If you tell him/her where the pain is trust me you will know if it is torn. If it is you need the treatment as it rubs the internal blood scab and scaring from the muscle. (as I understand it) If not treated unfortunately it will keep tearing. After physio it could help to go to a podiatrist to see if an underlying problem is causing the tears. Wish you good look with your calf maybe it will turn out not to be a tear. Having had 2 tears in the left and 2 tears in the right calf in the last 2 years I hope my experience in this area can help.
    Wish I was less experienced!