Options

Painful calf

13»

Comments

• Options
    thanks very much for your time mossy racer wen i did it i had massage on my leg the masseur said it was cramp i went to a local hospital the nurse said a tear but she based her diagnosis on an injury she had herself and contacting a doctor by phone.two and a half weeks on and i swim a mile then bike 16 miles alternative days today ran a mile i had no reaction no niggles with any of this activity im 40 now never been injured before so i will take things slowly do u think a visit to the physio is a good idea still
  • Options
    Hi again things sound more positive for you.
    I do think that a visit to the physio is still worthwhile as swimming and cycling are not likely to cause the muscle to tear again. These forms of exercise are advised on the way back from a calf tear.
    However if you feel it may of been cramp as the Masseur thought I will pass on my experience of the pain of a calf muscle tear. Having had 4 maybe this will help you decide if a physio visit is needed.
    The first tear initally felt more like one of those odd twinges you get. You foot goes down and you feel some pain. However with the first tear I kept on running within 200 metres of running at the same speed every step was painfull. It was getting worse all the time eventually I had to stop running. The others were not so bad because having had the feeling before I knew very quickly.
    One other thing that may help after every tear the day after you are limping or unable to walk correctly. This is not usually the case if you have had cramp.
    Hope this helps sorry to go on at such length.
  • Options
    mossy racer from what you said and other threads i think it was a tear i will visit the physio on my return to work as its freee .and just carry on building up my running slowly .i wish you all the best and it all turns out ok for you cant be easy for you having it in the back of your mind when your out running cheers
  • Options
    I can relate to that, always having it in the back of your mind when running. I've had so many calf tears in the past two years that i'm now scared to run too fast just in case it happens again, i'm on constant base training until my confidence in my calves returns - I'll need to feel invincible before I try any sprints!
  • Options
    know what you mean done 4 miles yest every twinge slight niggle makes you wonder .slowing down and waiting for the pain to go my legs probably thinking we are fine whats with all this pussy footing about.but its my first injury and a small tear so shouldnt go harping on before people with proper injuries and persistant worries join in.apart from that have you been to see anyone with regards to why it keeps tearing
  • Options
    Hi everyone, The biggest problem is not the tear itself but the danger of blood clots. Or this is what my MD told me. So you need to get them looked at profesionaly and this may result in ulta sound etc to break up the tears and possibilities of the blood clots. I did mine 18 months ago fairly seriously and still have massage every month just to ease it off. I also had accupuncture which helped a great deal in the first instance.
  • Options
    Just a quick note to say thks for the advice on calf strains i found it very interesting & you were spot on. Done mine three weeks ago and felt ok after a week so started some cycling and light running after one week, increased miles into second week only to have it go again, back to square one. Wish i had read you message earlier.

thks & rgds
    david / h'pool
  • Options
    Hi,
    I am 41 and have been running for about 5 months now. (Though I ran two half marathons when I was in my teens.. but then took 20 years off!) I am running my first half marathon (for 23 years) in a week's time. I have gradually increased my running distance over the past 6 weeks from about 10 miles per week to about 20 miles per week. I ran 9 miles last Monday in 1 hour 20 mins and then on Thursday I had run about 3 miles when I felt my right calf cramp up badly and go into spasm... I just about hobbled the last mile home. My calf was very painful and I could barely walk. It still feels sore 3 days later but not as sore as it was on Thursday. I always warm up and stretch before, during and after my run. With the half marathon a week away (next Sunday), should I try and run again before the race and risk re-injuring my calf? Or should I rest completely? I am thinking of running a light 2 mile jog on Friday just to see how it is... any advice?
  • Options

Very reassuring to hear the same advice coming through over and over again.  I'm on my 3rd week of recovery after my calf muscle went during a body conditioning class.  I was gutted as I wasn't even running at the time - and body conditioning is meant to help your running!  However, I think it had been building up for some time.  Too much fell running I think.  I was due to run up Snowdon in July but this has made me reassess my goals.  Running for another 20 years injury free is preferable to success in one race ...Fingers crossed that following a sensible reabilitation programme will see me mended in time for the Welsh Castles relays in June.  I think I might not go for a mountain stage this year though ...

Thanks everyone for all your advice - it has definitely helped me not rush my recovery.  Running requires self discipline - I'm rapidly realising the importance of it when injured too!

• Options

I am in my 6th week of rest and 4th week of physio for what sounds like exactly the same symptons in both legs although the physio said I had damaged the fibuls around the achilles from over tight calves. 

It was agony when I ran (so hence i stopped!!) at the point where the tendon joins the muscle and down the sides.  I agree that the deep massage is the most excrutiating thing I have ever experienced but the acupuncture this am was the worst- and very odd when he had my big toe spasming when he put the needle in!!  The massage after felt so much less painful although I have been limping around the office all day.  The prognosis has gone from being told I would never run again, to possibly in the next week or so if I behave myself with the stretches.  He did say cycling was fine as non weight bearing so that has kept me sane!  Def the morale of the story is "Dont continue to run with tight calves without really doing some decent and very targeted stretching. It will only get worse.  Rest alone will not help either so get it sorted professionally" 

Nice to read everyone else's posts so it doesn't feel like you are limping alone image

• Options
    I've just got over a similar injury and following the RICE method I invested £25 in a pair of Skins compression wear socks and these worked a treat getting over the injury but also I wear these to run in as well and my PBs have improved tremendously.
  • Options

Hi i have been having trouble with my right calf now since about begining of summer last year. I was doing quite a lot of mileage before then, when I started getting cramps but for a few months always managed just to slow down and run through it. Then by August after doing a half marathon  I was in extreme pain with it for a good week, so I just took it easy for about a fortnight or so, then tried to start short runs but was in agony every time i tried.   I then went to a sports massage for 3 months in which there was a lot of pain but she managed to break down a lot of old scar tissues and loosen up the tightness.  My leg feels fine now if I don't do any running  but every time I try again after 6 - 8 mins the pain starts deep in the calf and seems to travel out down into the achillies and round and up the shin and If I don't stop and walk/jog the front of my thigh also goes into an excruciating cramp.  My calf and shin then ache for the next couple of days (I have been mainly doing swiming/cycling to keep me sane as there is very little or no pain associated when I do these activities) Has anyone got any ideas or should I just give in and hang up the running shoes.

• Options

I am running the London Marathon in 5 weeks time... which will be my first marathon! Argh! I've always suffered with tightness in my calves but I do lots of stretching and wear compression socks to combat this... last Wed I did a 10 mile run and about 9.7 I felt a sharp pain in my right calf... I had 2 sports massages last week and the verdict was that it was a slight strain in the soleus muscle right near the ankle... Both said it was very minor and that I could try a run on Sunday. As soon as I started running on Sunday I could feel it twinging... it wasnt particularly painful but I stopped after 3 miles as I was scared more than anything that I'd make it worse.

Today I can feel it twinging slightly however it doesnt hurt when walking and I can stand on my tip toes with no pain... I've got another sports massage tomorrow but am now getting increasingly worried as the highest mileage I've covered so far is 15 and I've got the Cranleigh 21 next Sunday.

• Options

Hi I know how your feeling as i was training last year for the lochness marathon when my calf went in the August.  I have to agree with a lot of the posts about rest as I didn't give it enough and would just wait for a week or so then go back out again and before I knew it I'd be back at the begining.  I would have to encourage you to go to a phsio for ultrasound and specif stretches rather than just the massage, as I did about  12 weeks of sports massage which certainly helped break down a lot of scar tissue but didn't really help the pain in my calf. 

I have only been going to the phsio in the last month and am feeling real benefits already, so fingers crossed maybe I will be able to get back out running in the next few weeks. 

• Options

Hi,

I have had slight calf pain in my left leg since the start of the warmer weather. Not painful enough to stop me running - until Monday. I went to Circuit training and as I stepped off a step block, experienced a sharp pain in my  left calf. Was unable to continue the class as unable to put foot on the floor. Following a visit to A&E (I'm a baby, I know, but the pain was dreadful) I've been given a pair of crutches, anti inflammatories and advised to rest. The doctor said it was muscle damage and that he could see and feel the depression in my leg, but little else. I get the impression he had limited iterest or sympathy for my injury.

Today I can put my foot on the floor, but not walk, or use it to support my weight. Am supposed to be doing race for life on Saturday, but I assume that's not going to happen?

I'm getting married in 8 weeks and so am really upset at not being able to train.  imageCan anyone suggest anything I can do until I can run again? How much should I expect to pay for a physio?

• Options

Hi All

I have had a few calf injuries on both legs.

I have started using the Kalenji compression socks, not sure of the technical whys and wherefores but the seem to help. Started using them on the bicycle as well.

In addition to help the restless leg stuff, usually at night, I have started drinking Tonic water with quinine, tastes awfull on it's own, lots of orange juice, again not a cure but seems to help.

I have not read the entire thread so apologies if I have repeated.

Regards

• Options

Like the folks below, my calf muscle strain is taking longer than I would like to heal.  I have been given the go ahead to start running slowly by my Physical therapist.  I have no pain with walking and even with weighted calf raises (now about 4 weeks after the injury) but I am sore after my short run walks (next day) and of course, this worries me quite a bit.  

How long should it take before it feels "normal" again?  More importantly, should I keep run/walking now as part of the rehab or should I wait until it feels fine?  Can't seem to find any information on chronicity and recurrent injuries.  Thanks for any input....