Options

Eating to improve

13»

Comments

• Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    so you need to look at where/why it went wrong and correct it Waff.

My hope is that learning a bit more about nutrition will renew my interest in planning and cooking meals. I already have loads of great ideas from the discussions today.

Key points:

• eat little and often
    • keep it varied
    • avoid processed stuff
    • plan meals in advance and shop accordingly
    • make time to cook meals from scratch
    • make extra portions and freeze for cba days
    • prepare curries/sauces in advance and freeze
    • stop filling the freezer with fish and chips
    • stock up on tinned/dried/frozen stuff which is healthy and interesting
    • drink more water

Thanks gang. image

• Options

I too use a lot of the things suggested above, and my kitchen always has garlic, chives, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, various different vinegars etc. We eat a lot of fish, chicken and turkey, sometimes ostrich when we can get it,  very rarely beef or pork.

I do have to admit a liking though for (dare I admit it?) one American thing - BLTs - bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches, I use whole grain bread, low-fat turkey bacon, microwaved and drained, iceberg lettuce, romaine, or spinach leaves, and a variety of sliced toms - delicious. One of the very few edible American dishes.

• Options

one of my favourite quick meals is smoked haddock stir fry - stir fry white onion, peppers, cabbage then add the smoked haddock - literally takes 5 minutes to cook and great with some nice fresh baked bread to soak up the juices image

although i have only made it once in my current flat as have an open plan kitchen/living area...the haddock smell lingered for three days!

• Options
    Well last night I made a seafood risotto with mangetout, baby corn and asparagus. It took ages for the rice to be cooked through and then I was told it was too salty (from the stock). Oops! Tonight will probably be veg lasagne - with an extra tray going into the freezer.
  • Options

Another savoury tooth here...

Waff - I know what you mean about wanting variety. There's a lot of great recipe sites out there and a bit more variety will make a massive difference. To name just a few:

recipezaar.com

http://www.cookinglight.com/

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/

Also, if you are always hungry, it may be worth trying to count your calories for a few days to see how much you are eating vs burning. This is free for 7 days http://www.perfect-diet-tracker.com/ and I know there's websites available too. 

Saffers - your coach said you need to lose weight?? I'm glad he's not my coach imageimage

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

Well done image

Some stock cubes are very salty.  The Knorr stock pot ones contain huge amounts so have a quick look on the label next time you're shopping.  You can make your own stock but TBH it's a hassle so I only do it on rare occassions then keep it in small quantities in the freezer.

• Options
    A great resource for tracking is www.foodfocus.co.uk and it is totally free! I use it and it has definitely helped me! image
  • Options
    Blimey you lot are really really good.

I eat any old crap I can get hold of, in huge amounts to be honest.
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot to say that anything purple is also really good for you. This includes red grapes, aubergine, purple-sprouting brocolli (although since brocolli is a superfood anyway, I think this is overkill), blueberries/ blackberries, figs, plums and red cabbage (which was clearly named by someone colour blind). I reckon it probably also includes Parma Violets or the purple hazelnut Quality Streets, but only in moderation.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    I assume you're alluding to the anti-oxidant/free radical scavenging of pigments like the carotenoids, xanthins, cyanins etc FA??

and you forgot red wine gums.. image

• Options
    Ooph, you've made me hungry now!
  • Options

Well, I have to admit I am less convinced by the anti-oxidants argument actually, I have yet to see any good evidence that any that you eat are actually available for cell repair, but what the heck. There's a lot of other good stuff in all them foods.

Unfortunatley I think red wine gums are actually red, not purple. Do you get purple M&Ms though? If not, their advertising slogan is misleading, as I think it's an important part of the rainbow to taste, n'est-ce pas?

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    I agree - the anti-oxidant thing still has a touch of hippie new age macrobiotic organic knitted tofu feel about it but as long as the food is fresh and good to eat and taste, what the hell eh?? let people believe what they want - just give me the food!

depending on time of month, year, following wind, drug intake etc then all foods in equal measure are either going to kill you, keep you alive, give you cancer, cure you of cancer, give you CHD, prevent CHD etc

bollocks to it - eat and cook fresh and enjoy life.
  • Options
    I was quite into the whole macrobiotic scene for about 3 years but then it just started to feel like a cult and everything was apparently always out of balance with my ying/yang and I started to loose interest. There is also only so much brown rice I can eat!!
  • Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    bollocks to it - eat and cook fresh and enjoy life.
    Couldn't have put it better myself!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Gyraffe,

PM your email address and I'll send over the nutrition plan in its current guise! Week 1 is done and Week 2 is nearly there! image

• Options
    Thanks Rach - will do.

Little Ninja - I tried counting calories once but it was annoying trying to work out exact portion sizes - and without knowing how much of things are really on the plate it's just a guessing game. Today I have eaten three slices of toast, a cherry yoghurt, a banana and some left over potato salad - and three biscuits with cheese on, and a handful of cherry tomatoes. Still to come - breaded haddock with rice and loads of fresh veg. Calories......... no idea! (about 2000?)

• Options
    Tinned mackerel,  cheap as chips (or a bag of crisps)  and goes with anything

Gawjuss  image
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    [puts knitted tofu out for the birds, rather sadly]
  • Options
    You knit tofu for the boidies??   Theres commitment image
  • Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    debbs - we use an old Sophie Grigson recipe - but this is very similar. we don't bother with the raita bit

yum, i had it for my dinner this evening, it was good!

Thanks FB

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    didn't you make some extra for me? bastard!
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    I know Sophie Grigson from years ago - I think she was the first veggie TV chef/sleb?

But I saw her the other day...has someone been slipping her some lard?
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    the last time I saw a pic of Ms Grigson she certainly seemed to have developed an arse like a split sofa........

glad you enjoyed it Mr Moron.....is lush eh??
  • Options

I always used to have trouble with risottos until my friend passed on this recipe:

Smoked tuna risotto

2oz/60gms risotto rice per person to 1/2 pint of stock made with a single veggie oxo cube
    1/3 of a pepper, small onion, carrot (any veg really) per person 
    Lazy Chilli (the stuff in those square jars)
    Garlic
    splash olive oil
    Smoked tuna (you can buy in cans, but smoked or peppered mackerel also is delish)
    Tomato

Heat the olive oil & one the rice starts to bubble when you drop in a single grain add the rest of the rice & stir continuously for 2 mins.  Add the onion, chilli & garlic & stir for a further 2 mins.  Add the veg (cooked or uncooked, so great for leftovers), and the stock, bring to simmer & cover.  Leave for about 20 minutes.  Just before serving add the tuna & tomato, stir through until cooked/heated.
    Serve.

It is really tasty & seems so far to be pretty foolproof!