Options

MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Options

Jason- probably going to come across really dense here but what's P&D??

KR- the 5 runs for 100 miles sounds like a good bit of maths to follow, might try and even do a few more like you, I'd like to finish Chester better than I finished Stratford, the last 6.2 took me an hour which even though I knew I'd slow down I thought was pretty poor.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    lodan- sorry- me being dense, not youimage I meant "Advanced Marathoning" by Pete Pfitzinger & Scott Douglas. available on Amazon special offer too! and highly regarded by many. I especially like the fact that it explains the science behind the programmes (even if they do draw very heavily, with acknowledgment, on Jack daniels' "Running Formula"- another great bookimage)
  • Options
    Thanks for that Jason, just been on amazon and bought it so hopefully I'll have some interesting new reading in a day or twoimage
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    lodan- enjoy! Chapter 11 for me again this time roundimage With a few personalised tweaks
  • Options
    £9.24 dleivered is a good deal - might get one myself!
  • Options
    jason d wrote (see)
    lodan- enjoy! Chapter 11 for me again this time roundimage With a few personalised tweaks
    Just looked at chapter 11 Jason and I think you must be a little bit mad......no offence intendedimage  I don't think my body would cope with one of those weeks let alone 18 of them.  After having a look I think I might see if I could do the chapter 9 schedule.  I'll build my miles over the next month then I think I'll be ok to be doing 55 miles all being well.
  • Options

Hi All

P&D is the bible for marathons it seems at the moment -

Jason D Hope I can do it justice in Chester - seeing your conversion from 1.31 to 3.14 gives me some inspiration. I ran 1.31.07 at Wilmslow but sadly it wasnt to be in London with 3.19.21. So I know at least it does happen -well done. Just looked at the title of P&D Chapter 11 & closed book - mad mad mad! Lots of offence intended. I followed 18 week schedule & will try again

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

lodan/ FAS- mad, me? Probably- it has been suggested before! I'm not very fast, but I do like trainingimage

lodan- building the miles over the next month before starting the programme is keyimage Been doing same over last 3 weeks 

• Options

feeling good today went and did 9 miles with some of my friends from our club, first run after the marathon and everything seemed to tick over the way it should.  I was worried aches and pains would linger for a long time.  Even felt good enough to up the pace to 6.45 m/m over the last couple of miles.

I didn't follow a proper schedule last time just tried to fit in about 40 miles a week anyway I could always doing a bit of a longer run on Sunday.  I'm hoping with a proper structure I'll be able to do my 1.32 half a bit more justice at Chester.

Jason- thanks for the tip on this book, I'm reading through it now and everything it tells me seems to make a lot of sense, I think its really going to help me to make my training a lot more effective!!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    lodan- glad it helps!image I've tweaked the plan a bit to suit me better after using it a couple of times-and after taking on board advice from others- after all we're all different. The taper period was the main tweak- cutting the prescribed 13m run a week before the race down to 8
  • Options
    jason d wrote (see)

lodan/ FAS- mad, me? Probably- it has been suggested before! I'm not very fast, but I do like trainingimage

lodan- building the miles over the next month before starting the programme is keyimage Been doing same over last 3 weeks 

I like the structure of the training programme for marathons. I've always found having a set goal a few months off great. The bit I'm not liking is the period inbetween! I'm trying to up the mileage too Jason and aiming to get up to 40 miles per week by the beginning of June, which to be honest isn't too hard.Normally when I' not traingin for a marathon I usually only train 3 times a week. So getting 5 times a week can only be more beneficial.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    KR- I'm just loving the freedom of entering random races at the moment, while still building mileage great fun! 10k last Sunday, 5k on Tuesday and Hereford Half this Sunday- all with no pressureimage 5 times a week is goodimage
  • Options
    Good luck for Hereford Jason - you got a time in mind? I've got a 3 mile Club Track handicap race next Friday, but I think it will be more of a speed session. I want to enter a few races during the summer too, just to keep up a bit of interest and the great thing is there are quite a few mid week evening races - so lots more choice.
  • Options

Jason - how did you do on the 10k??

KR- I've got to agree with Jason after so many months trying to stick to a set schedule I'm really happy that I'll be able to what runs I want without the structure for a few weeks.  It definitly helps me to have it all set in stone when I start the actual marathon training though because I have to guilt myself into a lot of runs I don't want to do after work.  Without a set schedule I'd probably peak at about 15 milesimage.

• Options
    I always think now is a good time to try out a few sessions or even a few weeks from the schedule and see how they feel. Then you can make adjustments/jumble them around so they work better when you do them for real.
  • Options

After completing my 1st marathon last week (Stratford Upon Avon: - 3:48), I have decided to now attempt Chester.

Looking forward to it, will give me something to aim for and planning going on holiday the week afterimage

• Options
    Hi Brian nice to not be the only new person on the threadimage Were you pleased with your Stratford time, did all your training go to plan??  The hill between about 17 and 19 miles was a bit of a killer didn't you thinkimage
  • Options
    lodan1 wrote (see)
    Hi Brian nice to not be the only new person on the threadimage Were you pleased with your Stratford time, did all your training go to plan??  The hill between about 17 and 19 miles was a bit of a killer didn't you thinkimage

Cheers lodan1.

Training went really well, missed 1 full week due to work commiments, so had to start the taper a week early really.

Was really pleased with the time, I was on for 3:40 until mile 22 then struggled badly, was running 10:00/miles for the last 4 rather than 8:30.

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    jason d wrote (see)
    jason d wrote (see)

Chapter 8 for me - 18 weeks, up to 55 miles - any more would require me to either:

• not be starting from where I'm starting from
    • leave job
    • leave family 

Target 4 hours.

• Options
    Higs wrote (see)

Chapter 8 for me - 18 weeks, up to 55 miles - any more would require me to either:

• not be starting from where I'm starting from
    • leave job
    • leave family 

Target 4 hours.

I can think of one of those options that seems quite appealing.....I won't say which thoughimage
  • Options

Hi Brian - hope the training goes well and you get a shiny new pb in October.

Tough session for me today including 10 x 2 min at 5k pace, was glad to get in done, this fat boy was built for distance nopt speed image 

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow, we will be helping out at the Chester Half, plus will be there promoting the marathon with Haribo in hand !!  Would be great to say hi to those who are running.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    lodan- the 10k was hilly and I've still got to find some pace post Mara- 42.00 for meimage. 5k was 19.32. Hereford half tomorrowimage No real target, but sub 1.30 for a starter
  • Options

Jason- 42 for a hilly 10k with no training geared towards that distance sound pretty good to meimage  Hope you do well tomorrow and good luck.  Would love to be you Jason and be able to say no real target but sub 1.30 will do image

Brian- sounds like my Stratford experience was very similar to yours, I held my pace perfectly to 21 miles and the the wheels came off and limped home a little dejected but having learnt a couple of lessons which should hold me in good stead for Chester!!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    lodan- I meant sub 1.30 would be goodimage
  • Options
    what type of course is Hereford is it hilly or flat??  Are you doing it eyballs out or as a nice steady one??
  • Options

Just 9 miles for me this morning, not too bad considering the celebrations yesterday (FA Cup).

Now all I have is a very easy restful week before the White Peak marathon on Saturday.

Good luck to everyone to races today.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Bit of a pleasant surprise for me in Hereford today. A fairly hilly course and windy today, so chuffed to get within 4 seconds of my Llanelli PB set back in Marchimageimage I was actually on for a slight improvement, but I'd forgotten that the last 0.3m ish around the racecourse was through deep wood chippingsimage. Still have to be happy with getting so close - especially without a taper and to round off a solid week of training (and racing!)image No official result yet, but Garmin time was 1:26.14 for 13.11m (6.35av)

• Options

Hi Jason-thats a brilliant time well doneimage imagine how well you'd do if a HM was you're main focus and you had the taper and everything.  Have you got any more races booked in during your free time??

I had a nice 8 miles at 7.15 pace, my legs are starting to feel recovered from the marathon so thought I'd add a little bit of pace in and see how it felt.......and it felt goodimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    lodan- nice running. Will have a few 5k/10ks along the way over the next month image
  • Options
    Fantastic Jason - well done - rather better than my 1.31.18 at Chester Half but was reasonably happy cos my splits were fairly even. I even had the choice of being 1st o40 or 1st o50 when the presentation was made! Hope the marathon is on some of the same roads!