Options

Jumbo thighs

Am I some sort of mutant or is this something that other runners with “athletic” thighs finds to be a challenge?

I spent hours in the shops at the weekend and every pair I tried on were ridiculously tight in the thighs, if I could pull them up at all! Any which did go over my enormous legs were then too big round the waist.

I wasn’t trying to get into skinnies or anything ambitious like that. I was going for the loose or “boyfriend” fit to give myself a fighting chance, but still no joy! In the end I gave up and bought some exciting knickers to cheer myself up.

Has anyone else well endowed of the thigh managed to find a brand that fits well? Any advice? Cause I’m about to give up and resign myself to a life spent slobbing around in jogging bottoms (which is something I would secretly enjoy for a while but which I’d probably eventually tire of).

Comments

• Options

Have you tried Gap?  They have about a bazillion different cuts, and their prices are very reasonable.

Still, exciting knickers are probably more, err, exciting, but are not much cop if you want to go out in winter.

• Options

Thanks. Last time I was in Gap I tried  theersions that implied a genorous cut, but I must admit I haven't ventured inside the shop recently, so they might have changed them. I should probably get brave enough to go back in. I keep expecting people to jump out from behind the rails and start dancing at me.

The knickers are very nice, but I do really need something to wear over them, in the interest of not being arrested!image

• Options
    Next bootcut or boyfriend fit me OK and I'm quite well endowed in the thigh dept.  What I don't like is low rise - possibly something to do with me also being well endowed in the belly region too image.
  • Options

Try TKMaxx, I get alot of my jeans from there, you can find cheap "boarder" brands like Ecko etc, they are VERY generously cut.

If I don't get "boarder" jeans, I have to buy them a couple of sizes too big, and live with a baggy waistband.

• Options

You're obviously not as well endowed as me Tigerliliy because Next boyfriends aren't wide enough for me! image

I *do* like low rise though, because it removes the probelm of having to get the waist to fit too. And I'm not endowed of the belly, it's all on my blimmin' thighs, which is probably good from a health perspective, keeps it all nicely away from my viscera, but from a wearing normal clothes perspective it's a nightmar!

• Options
    Dano, don't know if I'm being thick, or just not "down with the kids", but what in Jeebus name are "boarder" jeans? Like surf boarder?image
  • Options
    As in skate boarder, I just call em "boarder" cause I am ultra-cool image
  • Options

Ah, ok. I get it!

You don't have to be ultra-cool to wear them, do you? Because I'm kind of not. image

• Options

Of course not, I am not cool at all image.

They look like normal jeans, just a different cut.

• Options

I've got some boyfriend jeans from Dossy P's (Dorothy Perkins) - make sure they have some stretch  before you go through the hassle of trying them on.  I'm a similar size - generous in the thigh department, but I prefer a low-rise as fortunately, not generous in the belly department!!

Good luck - I hate buying jeans!!

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Howies jeans are ok.

Some of the Fat Face jeans are ok, obviously excluding skinny jeans, and Animal seem to be cut ok for the sporty leg.

White Stuff is worth a try.

For myself though, Gap, Next, Topshop don't work.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

ohh and I managed to squeeze my legs into some Superdry ones too - benefit of Superdry is that they have more than the average waist sizes - they go up in 1 inch sizes, not 2.  So, in theory, if you can find a cut that goes over your thigh, there should be more variation for you around the waist.

I had to get my Superdry ones taken up though.

(I am only 5ft 3 on a good day, mind)

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I have fat thighs and wuold also second Gap.....but wait for sales, cos their clothes are always waaaay overpriced

Last pair of jeans I bought were from Tesco - they fit quite nicely actually, although they were sort of an 'emergency' purchase, so perhaps supermarkets too????

• Options
    What are boyfriend jeans?
    Come to think of it, maybe that's the answer, wear your boyfriends.
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

That's precisely what boyfriend jeans are Madlot.  Someone (Katie Holmes?) was spotted wearing her boyfriend's jeans.  So all the jean manufacturers thought, hey that's a good idea, we'll make a cut of baggy jeans that makes it look like you're wearing bloke's jeans.

Not sure how that works for single sex relationships....

• Options

that's what it means madlot

they are baggy cut - like wearing your boyfriends jeans - get with it!!!

• Options
    the best pair of jeans i ever wore belonged to a bloke i was seeing, i had to give them (and him actually) back to their rightful owner
  • Options
    thats where the pretty knickers come into their own Moose
  • Options

Lurks you are such a Harlot

• Options

No way Katie Holmes could wear Tom Cruise's jeans, they'd be swinging around her ankles.

Roundy K an athletically-thighed pal swears by Uniqlo for cheap and cheerful jeans. Although I think you'd have to suss out various styles because I find they bag on the waist. 

• Options
    I don't want to get with it, there's quite a lot of things I'm happy not knowing. I thought it might have something to do with how easy they are to get off!

Anyway, if that's the case perhaps you're shopping in the wrong shops!

Hello Lurks image
  • Options

Thanks guys. Lots of brands I hadn't even heard of mentioned so I guess I need to get looking a bit harder!

Unfortunately I can't wear my boyfriends jeans because the lanky fecker only wears skinnies, and I can't get into them. image

• Options

DC or Element skate jeans, they will do the trick and are pretty damn cool imho

You can get them for better prices from skate shops then the high street.

Kates skates is one of my favorite shops for jeans - just google for it

• Options
    I too have large thighs and wear 'scarlet by Oasis' jeans cut for the heavier thighs, still low cut and slightly bootcut - i get mine on ebay now i now which ones fit. I have about 7 pairs in different colours of blue!!! Wide linen trousers are my summer life saver, from next or even new look ones fit good too also knee length leggings and a long top or short dress actually look quite flattering and very comfy - a bit like tracksuit bottoms!! Good Luck!
  • Options
    I wear Next Bootcut, and I'm heavier in the thigh/bottom department. The trouble is, I tried on five pairs in Next the other day, and they all fit differently even though they were all called 'Bootcut'. Grrr.
  • Options
    Just wear shorts!!! Ive only wore jeans once since the beginning of May.image
  • Options

OMG.... Toria  image

How the devil are you?  Long time no forum.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Toria - hello stranger!

I haven't bought jeans in about six years, so can't really help.  The last ones were from M&S, and I'm quite gerenously thighed.  I always go for ones with lycra in.

Buying jeans is a hassle, so I will wear the ones I have until they fall apart.

• Options

I too have thighs like Chun-Li, and I find Next's jeans okay - particularly if they've got some stretch! The baggy waist situation is a bit of a problem though; I've only got one pair of jeans that I'm 100 per cent happy with.

Will definitely be investigating some of the other brands you fine ladies have mentioned!