Options

Berlin Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

11 DAYS TILL WE DESCEND ON BERLIN...

CAN YOU TELL I'M EXCITED?

Best of luck to everyone for this last stretch, from my very limited experience I have one bit of advice; TAKE IT EASY (BUT NOT TOO EASY). Except of course if you are Tricky; good luck with the untaper, your comeback is inspirational.

Happy tapering.....

• Options
    NotCat wrote (see)

Hi folks,

Am a very infrequent visitor here but am just wondering about the err.... tea?? ... provision on course given the absence of sports drinks. Does anyone who has done this before know whether it is a branded cold tea or is it literally ... cold tea? 

I may just have to break my own gel consumption record!!!

I think it is herbal tea. Last year it looked like plastic cups of water.
  • Options

McDave - woot!!!!! a fellow serie a follower!!!

I'm a massive Bianconeri fan!!!

FORZA JUVE!!!!! 

• Options

Can't believe I just found this forum! Running my first Berlin. Due to training been blighted by injuries and personal commitments, I have trained on particularly hilly terrain, so even though I only managed 3 20 milers I hope my leg strength will hold out to give me around a 3 hr finish.

GOOD LUCK to all image

• Options

Hi all Really looking forward to Berlin.As always has crept up really quickly and now less than two weeks away.image

My second marathon,first was at Brighton in April.

Have today been looking at the email which was sent.I take it I can pick up my number and chip from Berlin vital,Flughafen Tempelhof, Platz der Luftbrücke on the Saturday.

Do the chips have to be returned after the race?

I have to take the confirmation email with me in order to be given the number and chip?

I read somewhere that there is good support at Berlin but as i've trained with some music i am thinking of taking my mp3 and just using it during quiet times on the course or if I need a boost.Are they allowed though?

Sorry about the questions but need to be organised and I'm sure you're all more experienced.image

many thanks for any help image

any long range weather forecasts yet?

• Options
    Hi susieb yes the best ever expo is at templehoff old airport!, take your confirmation , can't remember if essential, can't remember if mp3 are banned - but lots of folks had them, I'm taking mine to use from mile 20 for some extra zipp, I can't really remember any quiet places last year, and the crowds of runners are large & lots of Brits & other English speakers, support from crowd - great. I think chip return was at exit gates from finish areas- not as organised as London , but maybe cos my German is nt as good as my English !
    Viggy planning for 3 hours - wow respect, a 4:15 pb will do me

Yes counting the days now. Anyone else flying easy jet from Liverpool Friday ?
    Right where s that packing list. & to do list
    Print air ticket, collect running vest from sports shop with name on front, running kit to hand luggage , run shoes on feet, find Berlin ubahn maps for getting to templhoff, decide about breakfast run, add more items to to do list
  • Options
    Hi all

Can't believe how close it is now!! Stress levels in this house ain't good. Slightest thing sending me nuts........ Kidz will b glad when I go!!

To top it all I feel like s***.

I'm flying nxt Thursday- Orkney, Aberdeen , London Berlin only going to take 14 hours.

Started packing already soooooo much to remember!

Happy tapering, I don't like not being able to escape!!'
  • Options
    Feeling a bit sh*t myself. Full of the cold - immune system obviously a bit low. Or maybe just getting stressed? Still haven't received a confirmation e-mail despite requesting one. If I travel all the way to Berlin and then get refused race entry by some jobsworth because I don't have the right bit of paper.....Grrrrr
  • Options

Susiebe1

• Number & chip must be picked from Berlin Vital, Flughafen Templehof Thurs, Fri or Sat. The blurb (`Info 11`)  says you have to present your confirmation to get the race number. I suspect bpresenting a passpot would be enough but I wouldn`t risk it.
    • Chips have to be returned after the race (by 5.15 pm). The chip drop off areas are shown on the plan in the info pack -e.g. south side of Platz de Republick; north east corner of Pl de Rep: see map.
    • The blurb (`Info 11) states "we`d kindly ask of you to run without music or to not have the volume turned up too much". It then refers to the IAAF`s prohibition on headphones - whilst at the same time displaying a picture of a chap wearing headphones and waving cheerily. As Wrex says - lots of people do it. I wouldn`t worry to much.
    • Worth packing a towel. There are warm showers after the race.
    • Haven`t checked the weather but will be doing so obsessively for the next 11 days. Good luck !
  • Options

wrexhamrob and Beetle

Many thanksimage

For some reason I hadnt seen all the blurb so have now caught up and have printed off a course map and the map of the start/finish area. Wow lots to read.Very excited.image

Did I see that tea is being served?imageespecially for the englishimage

Once again many thanks and good luckimage

• Options

Like Simon MacD still no confirmation email. But my name is in the participants list so I think passport plus evidence I've actually paid should be enough. Not sure what else to do as no response by email when I've tried to contact them.

Vaguely excited but feeling exhausted for some reason. Goodnight.

• Options
    just found and printed my confirmation - it came from BMW Berlin marathon on 22nd August - printed tick
    - easy jet eticket printed tick
    -hostel confirmation ticket printed tick
    now the map to the baggage area where i got lost last year
  • Options
    Did my last long run on the 4th Sept, pacey runs this week for me, next week just some short stuff, trying to run all the time at mp though, although during training its not always that easy.
  • Options

simon & kaz - get well soooooonnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!! can you do some early nights for extra sleep and lots of extra healthy eating?

went to sports therapist for last visist pre berlin last night. got pumelled. take spiky massage ball to berlin for itb. no running now till berlin as sore ball of left foot is stress reaction and am in stress fracture territory. am MORE than happy to get off my legs and onto the xtrainers/into the pool!!!  

does anyone know if after the race..... there are the letters that you can stand under to meet your people as per london marathon? If not - any veterans of this race know what the plan is for meeting your support? is it, take your iphone with you on the run and find them after? or the good old fashioned i will meet you by that starbucks over there in 4h 30m???image 

simon and arf - SCC EVENTS GmbH
    Hanns-Braun-Straße/Adlerplatz
    14053 Berlin

Telefon: 030-301 288 10
    Telefax: 030-301 288 20
    info@berlin-marathon.com
    www.berlin-marathon.com

this is the info at the bottom of one of my berlin emails, might be worth giving them a ring about your conf emails? save the stress of getting to the expo and having a row about no conf email?

• Options

HI OII - think its pure stress thats making me ill!! BF told me this morning it 8pm bed from now until I leave, earlier than the youngest kid by 1hr and 2 hours before I finish work how the h*** he thinks I can do that i don't know!!! Can't eat for feeling sick......Wot 1 does to 1 self!!!

Anyways blowing a hooly up here today and torrential rain ain't the word so imposed rest.... I know its taper.... but even the limited mileage ain't happening today!! 

Positive note -day off tomorrow then only 5days and its hols for 1 wk yeha!!!!!!!!!image

Gd luck with the leg OII and take it easy stressfractures ain't gd territory..... As for meeting support.... I ain't got any.... I hear you all going awwwww!!!!!! My support will be finding the nearest glass of vino..... Probably what will spur me round to I hope!imageimage

Simon/Arf hope you get this email situation sorted soon...Gd luck

• Options

Oii - if you go to this page and print off the brochure it has the map of the meeting area in there. There is an area marked on page 17 on the rhs. If I remember rightly there is a Starbucks or similar on the other side of the Brandburg Gate away from the start.

• Options
    Possible weather on the day - zo = Sunday
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/388152/Gallery/Berlin_weather.jpg

• Options

Thanks Martha! Un-Tapering going well. Rest day yesterday, but last chance to use outdoor swimming pool today so I did 1200m this morning before work and just did and 11k run with 'strides' each km  - first high speed running in a very long time. Nothing fell off, so that's good.  Will work up to a HM at the weekend and then start doing a proper mini-taper.

I can feel everyone's excitement building for Berlin. Thus far, the whole build-up has been pretty dismal for me and I guess I haven't really been looking forward to it with much anticipation. But I am beginning to feel it now. Maybe it's time to print off the route map and start imagining my way round.

As for weather forecasts, I guess I'm probably a few kms closer to Berlin than DollyG (Brussels v. Hamsterjam) - don't remember anyone nearer - and as I look out the window right now, it's sunny. So that bodes well then!

Simon, Kaz, Oii.... pull yourselves together and get well soon. Doesn't matter if you've got a broken leg - all pain is mental - just run it off - or something like that anyway. 'Pain' is just the French word for bread!

• Options

Thanks folks, feeling much better today so did a 30 minute fartlek session. (can't take that word seriously!)

Tricky - outdoor swimming pool?? brrrrr. Bloody cold and wet here, but probably nowhere near as bad as Kaz has to contend with in Orkney...

Must phone SCC Events as they are ignoring my e-mails. My support after the race is Mrs Mac. She thinks she is going for a romantic break - how wrong she is!

• Options

Glas to hear yor feeling better Simon.

Tricky - After the training from hell you've been through it's amazing your going to make that start line. Although still annoying that a training deprived Tricky will run faster than I can even think of doing myself.

Everyone else hope the rest/taper and the rest of it helps everyone get to the start line good to go. I did an easy 7.5m tonight, which I really enjoyed.

I'm my own support network for this one. I just hope there's some 'big eijit this way' signs so I can find my way back to the hotel!

• Options
    Any one know what time registration for Paris opens at tomorrow?
  • Options
    Glad 2 be feeling better tonite- think it's going to work that makes me ill!!!!

30min jog after work, all feels good. Can't wait for the 10miles tomorrow.

Hope everybody else ok.
  • Options

Stephen63 - don't panic with Paris. The registration takes about 2months to fill up all the places - it's a doddle to get in to. Just do it in the first week to be sure of getting a place at the lowest entry price - it ramps up in 3 waves of price band I believe.

Read through all my entry info and am proper looking forward to this now. Just a bit more Un-taper to go.

Anyone know of gluten-free restaurants in Berlin doing tasty, nutritious food (long shot I know)! image

• Options

tricky - pulling myself together!!! image 

printed off all my emails and attachments yesterday, just need to plough my way through them now!

hope everyone is ok on this vaguely sunny thursday image

• Options

Typical, I seem to be getting a lot of aches and things !

Getting excited though image

• Options

Vaguely sunny is correct......

Anyone started packing yet ? hahaha,,,, I have put all my paperwork in a draw safely away. Got a friend who is going to collect my number for me.

• Options
    Cheers Tricky have flights and hotel booked already so was in a bit of a flap! but got an email this morning informing me that it opens at 11 am French time which is in about 15 mins our time. Hoping to do Paris and New York next year after London this year and Berlin well in about 10 days fingers crossed image

Flip only 10 days countdown is well and truly on!!
  • Options

Countdown .......can't believe this time next week i'll be on my way.....

Dont know if its nervous, excitement or something i've eaten but my stomach is in knots!

I wish I did Tricky - it could be a long few days and a lot of hunger pangs if  I don't find somewhere that has suitable food.... mind you still got weight to lose so wouldn't hurt but don't think  its the time to be starving oneself!!

Off to do 10miles or so now......since it is dry and not windy!!image

• Options
    Just done 11.5 hilly miles and all faster than my goal mp. Even got faster with each mile! Happy daysimageimage
  • Options

Just a tiddler of a recovery run today. Probably do a HM in the morning before work.

Kaz, I strongly suggest taking a packet of GF pasta with you. I've been in restaurants before and asked for something off the menu, cooked with my pasta. Normally not an issue.  Then all the snacky stuff, I'd bring it with you. I usually do GF pasta salads for in between meal munching and for race day brekky, I have a large smoothy with banana, GF oats, fruit juice, natural yoghurt and honey. Delish and easy to digest, with good long carbs.