Options

Berlin Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    Marmite suggested a great bar with loads of outdoor seating where many runners congregate after the race. I'll be buggered if I can remember it's name though.

If you scroll back a few monts there was a link to it on here
  • Options

Hello Everybody,

I am finally de-lurking to wish everyone the very best of luck for Sunday, I have been following your trials and tribulations since the entry opened and boy some of you have had a tough time of it, especially tricky.
    Anyway for the first timers, just enjoy the whole experience, don`t worry about any goal times, just soak up everything about the whole weekend and just have fun, big city marathons are such a great memory to have., and make the most of the race itself, just notice the atmosphere and keep smiling, this is what alll the training was for.

To all the others have a great race and I hope you get your goal times or at least near to them.

I will be in the forum hotel, all seasons MITTE, so say hello if you reconize me, I have been training with Minni from the sub 3:30 thread under Moraghans coaching and will be aiming for a sub 3:30 finish, I stayed away from this site when everybody started going down with injuries, there was a bad period there? but thankfully most of you have got through in the end. so well done.

Anyway best of luck everybody and have a great time.

I will read about all your exploits on the other side

have a good one.

• Options

Ok, post race pub meet as per Marmites suggestion many weeks ago is at the Pratergarten.

I think Marmite has made a fine choice as it's near my hotel (all seasons - hello shaggy) and is handily in a straight line from it reducing my chances of getting lost!

I'll certainly head there after the race.

• Options
    Luvsapb, thx m8, hope you have recovered from Wolverhampton ok? I ain't!! image

Tricky dicky, race on! I'm normally around 2.58-3.03 so may see u on route!

Flying from Bristol tomorra eve, expo Friday 1st thing to hopefully collect my number.

May see you all at the pratergarden after the race!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!
  • Options
    Muzza wrote (see)

Luvsapb, thx m8, hope you have recovered from Wolverhampton ok? I ain't!! image

Muzza- After the 3 hour drive back to Berks,my legs stiffened up completely!  Was walking round like Charlie Chaplin for a couple of days afterimage

Ok for a run on the Weds, but I still reckon I've got lingering fatigue,which comes out now after a long run.  Pete from Bitton Runners ran the Bristol half the following Sun in 1:24.

What probs have you been experiencing? Just a half for me at Oxford this Sun. 

• Options

unfortunately i am tour leading and have to go and look after my clients and be charming by 18:00 in our hotel...

the Prater Garten is not near the finish line either...

• Options
    Hopefully see some of you at the Pratergarten. It's only 6 km from my hotel so I can run there and stagger back (?) Good luck everyone.
  • Options

For anyone over themselves and wanting to meet up before the race I won't be doing the breakie run on Saturday, but will be at the Expo Saturday morning. If anyone wants to meet me there let me know. I'm not planning to do too much. Just head back into the city, grab a bite to eat and try and take in some of the sights. 

I fly out of Glasgow Friday lunchtime. One easy run tomorrow for me and that's me until the race!!

Good luck everyone. image

• Options
    Eggy- I'm over on my own..... Be gd to have some company, wot time are you planning to be at the expo??image
  • Options
    I can be at the expo on Saturday too or will be free to meet up for a bite to eat... if you you want Eggyh73 and kaz1
  • Options
    Iron Swiss bobby- cool with me! Think I'll drive myself crazy over thinking on my own!!
  • Options

ok i can be at the expo at about 12:00 I have a tour briefing to give at 10:00 am which should not last more than 1 hour... then over the templehof... where abouts you guys staying...

• Options
    I can make it for 12 easily Iron SwissBobby. Kaz I can meet you there too, or meet you somewhere and head out to it. I'm staying at the All Season in Mitte. If that's near where you'll be.
  • Options
    I can be there for 12 too. I'm staying out near the airport, don't know where anything is?! image
  • Options
    look like I will be able to make it to start line after all, at least as long as I can avoid the latest line of germs that the kids are trying to spread image

Local weather forecasts seem to be varying between 16 and 20 deg sunny. But sometimes the weather is a bit odd in Berlin itself, so probably just have to see nearer the time

@ SimonMacD - yep often the weather comes from the west, but I wouldn't worry about a strong westerly wind on Sunday as the course is pretty sheltered by buildings

@ Sacton - hope the calf is looking better

Hope all you travel plans go ok!
  • Options

Hi all,

Have been reading through the thread recently without commenting, but I would like to say that it has really helped seeing that others have been going through the same things as myself! So thanks, and good look to everyone!

It's my first marathon and I'm really getting quite excited.. actually, not excited more worried now, that I've not trained enough (too late now!), that I've not got everything I need (even though I have checked a thousand times!) etc etc.. I think my wife will be glad come next week.. unless I get the bug..

I'm flying out on Friday and will be free on Saturday so would also rather have some company rather than getting myself all worked up.

• Options
    Tegel - staying at the dorint airport hotel, which I think I'll be glad off when flight touches down at 9.30 tomorrow nite. I leave home at 6.15 tomorrow morning!
  • Options
    Ok, 12 noon at the expo is the meeting point. Meet at the entrance?
  • Options
    ok lets try to meet in the hall of theTemplehof Airport at Midday...  infront of the first check-in counter on the right as you go down the steps...
  • Options
    Ok, Kaz and Iron I've sent you my mobile number should either of you need to contact me.
  • Options
    Ok look forward to meeting you all!
  • Options
    great see you all there...
  • Options
    *i had a mini meltdown at work yesterday
    *i cant stop checking my passport to make sure it hasnt expired
    *i have checked my itunes "running" playlist a million times
    *i have packed a million painkillers/anti inflams in my suitcase
    *i am packing porridge oats for a eurotrip for the first time ever
    *i stink of tiger balm
    *i am trying not to carb load too early (greedy wilko)
    *my brain is coming out of my ears
    *i am not letting my beautiful sauconys out of my sight till 25th sept
    * i am hopelessly overexcited about having a 26.2 mile pootle round a big german city on sunday.....

anyone else have any confessions?
  • Options

i have done nothing... not even packed...

• Options
    ooo last minute rush packer confession!
  • Options

just done too many..

by the way ipod not allowed at berlin

• Options
    Oii
    hey what a great list >>>>i had a mini meltdown at work yesterday
    *i cant stop checking my passport to make sure it hasnt expired
    *i have checked my itunes "running" playlist a million times
    *i have packed a million painkillers/anti inflams in my suitcase
    *i am packing porridge oats for a eurotrip for the first time ever
    *i stink of tiger balm
    *i am trying not to carb load too early (greedy wilko)
    *my brain is coming out of my ears
    *i am not letting my beautiful sauconys out of my sight till 25th sept
    * i am hopelessly overexcited about having a 26.2 mile pootle round a big german city on sunday.....

anyone else have any confessions?

here's mine
    -i ve been for my last run pre berlin, 4 miles is very very short
    -ive printed my travel insurance
    -ive printed my boarding passes
    -ive said goodbye to some work colleagues- as i'm out of office tomorrow
    -i ve carbo deloaded - 2 small tins mackeral, 1/2 tin tuna, broccoli cheese & bean salad, hmmm still hungry - is ice cream not carbs
    -ive been stretching, and getting dresses , & eating porrige to a video of the great North Run
    I've just had a tweet @wrexhamrob retweeted by my MP (fame?)
    -i've bought me ibuprofen melt, i need to check my loperamide
    - for the 2nd time ever i'm packing porrige for a trip to Berlin
    -i'm still undecided re Breaki run - probably will its a great party
    -i'm still undecided whether to put gels in hand luggae or hold - probably my 6 necessary in hand luggage, some extra in hold
    -?? should safety pins be in hold, to avoid being labelled a terrorist
    more later..
    flying LiverpoolFriday 1420
    -i'm chasing Paula on Sunday, last time she raced me in a marathon - she ran half my time - London she 2:15 me 4:31, this time i'm going for sub 4:16 - you ll have to get another WR to get 2:08 Paula !
  • Options

Typical, sore knee, will still maybe go for 2 miles tomorrow with a stretch.

• Options
    hey Chris everythings sore - its taper time, go gently tomorrow and gentle stretches. take it easy we are nearly there