Options

New Year's Eve & New Year Liverbird Marathon Double

Comments

• Options

I am still confused with this one despite the comments.....

I understand its not a big event and I agree that even small events should be able to be published and advertised on Runnersworld...

Just want to clarify that it is an official event...not just a run got together by a group of friends......

Therefore it is covered by insurance etc.........

• Options
    I understand you wanting to know if there is or isn't insurance or not but does it matter? imo the whole insurance thing is a rip off.  The majority of us have personal accident insurance cover (which is relatively cheap)  so why do we need to duplicate it  thus lining the pockets of the insurance companies?
  • Options

a lot of us don't have personal insurance and I think it has to be made clear..........I would expect any race advertised on a site like this to be official and that I know that the organisers are liable..........something just advertised say on facebook which I want to join in with then i would expect no cover or responsibility on behalf of however is organising it..........

I just think that people should know exactly what it is so that they can make an informed choice.......

also if it isn't offiical.i wouldn't want to travel all that way for the police to turn around and state that as so many people are here you are not alowed to run as per some small bylaw etc..........

• Options

I agree and as I said, understand you wanting to know, all the point you make should be made clear from the outset.

I just think the insurance thing is a rip off and just adds to the cost of races, you should be able to choose when entering if you want it or not and pay a reduced fee if not, just my opinion.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

whilst i wish you all luck in the fundraising...........I think its wrong to put it up on running websites like this as an event if you do not have the permits or insurance..................

Its not the size of it that matters.......some clubs do events with only 40 entries and minimal entry fee but its still official...........

I think that as yours is just a training run/ fun run which is measured..........( not sure if you have had if officialy measured)...............which will provide drinks..it should be publised as such and not as an official event.........

a believe normal charity events still have to have council permits.............

as I said i hope you do manage to raise lots of money .................

• Options
    Can I just point out that the cost of all of our events is directly linked to the actual cost of delivery and the numbers taking part. The entry fee has to cover all event charges which I went out of my way to highlight in 2008 (I think).

Things have changed considerably since 2005 with the introduction of the Safety Advisory Group, full cost recovery requirements for Policing and general runner expectancy from a credible event.

The 'runliverpool' initiative is not profit driven and never will be. That said, the events have to be financially sustainable and I'm pleased to say that in the main ours are.

However, there is likely to be a further increase to entry fees next year because of the increase in VAT that is imposed on all bought in requirements from toilets to T shirts.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

just found this event on the 100 marathon club website & looking at the application form it looks a very proffessional event, simple to follow course & the logo for the t-shirts looks fantastic.

http://www.100marathonclub.org.uk/download/LiverbirdMAR-10-entry.pdf

With no competition from other events unless you fly to Zurich I can see the event as a real triumph for the city of Liverpool.

It''s a real shame that a charity event has been viewed so negativly on here image

• Options

no problem with charity events..................just unofficial ones disgusing themselves as official ones.............just followed your link and it is not made clear on the form that this is an unofficial race with no permits or insurance........

fine if thats the way you want  to go forward...but it should be made clear that there is no liability however negligent the organisers are and that there is no acountability on the money raised........as afr as i can gather

all other  charity races I know are official..................

• Options

With respect seren, I'm struggling to understand what you mean by 'official' in this context.

There is nothing on the form to suggest that the event does have a formal permit from anybody (though I do note the previous response that it has been confirmed as complying with TRA and 100 club rules) or give any commitment regarding insurance.  Similarly, it is made clear that entrants will be asked to bring their own refreshments, that no 'facilities' will be provided over or above the option to secure your belongings at Kaja's flat, that everybody will be expected to look out for themselves and that all arrangements are fluid to suit the needs of the majority of entrants.  There are also very clear and explicit notes as to where the money is going - to all intents and purposes, people are being offered a marathon, in a UK city, during a holiday period for a fiver.  There is no attempt being made to mislead anybody and there is no attempt to disguise the identity of the organiser.  If anybody has any concerns about what the race fee does and does not include, there is a very clear contact route.

If you have a concern with regard to what RW should or shouldn't be including in the race listing then fair enough but I feel that's a debate you should be having with them separate from a discussion about an event listed compliant with the rules as they currently stand.

• Options
    i want to enter i think i will on the day
  • Options
    just read through a few of these messages, Kaja has an idea that it would be great to run a double marathon over the 31/12/10 and 1/01/2011.I'm in for the 1st as I'm working on the 31st, the field is'nt expected to be large and its not attempting to replace existing events or surpass efforts to organise a marathon in October.

Through friends and colleagues on Fetch Kaja has been pointed in the right direction so that the issues of permits/ the need for them etc can be sorted out - hence the strange/ unfamiliar course.

Kaja is an experienced runner for a young person and has also competed in ultra events.

She's trying to raise money for local charities and a charity that supports HM Forces, this run is'nt for anyone that wants to be wrapped up in a tin foil blanket, be given a goody bag, big medal.

And if its over 26.2 miles - who cares? If you fancy it come along if not thats cool to.
  • Options

I'm tempted to enter this - lived just off the waterfront all last year while I was doing my teacher training in Liverpool. Have probably completed this marathon route more times than I've had hot dinners so I think this might be worth a look.

Got a half marathon on Jan 2nd but I'm training for Ironman UK 2011 so I suppose I should put myself through some difficult challenges now and again! 

• Options
    D it would be great to see you imagebest way to start the new year that I've ever heard off.
  • Options
    I was going to go for a long run with some friends this weekend but since it won't be official and I haven't got insurance and people might confuse us with the London marathon, I don't think I'll bother ... You know, if you've got questions about an event you can ask them without being so damned negative. Full credit to those involved (who I don't know) for putting on an imaginative, small event and inviting anyone else who wants to come along to do so. I just wish I lived closer.
  • Options
    thats the point steve, how do people think events get started? by a company coming along and setting it all up, then giving you a goody bag! Everything has to start somewhere and this may be a one off, who knows.
  • Options
    I'll be having this one.  Probably just the NYE one but I'll hang around afterwards for a while I should think.  Keep me focussed on my fitness over christmas.   I will be paying on the day though will this difinitely be possible? I'd hate to miss out. And as for all those worrying about liability and insurance blah blah blah, I'm going to take the risk! Wooh danger!  Live life on the edge, I'm such a dare devil! 
  • Options

Why the negativity?

I found this run by accident,  read the good information pack and decided what the hell, it'll be more fun that some of the "formal" runs I've done... Its the right time of year for me, its someone doing it for the right reasons and I might even get a T-shirt at the end (that's a grrr from a back of the pack runner who organisers seem to think don't deserve a t-shirt for their efforts).

I'll cough up on payday.  

Time to keep on plodding!

Paul

• Options

I'm coming all the way from Cape Town for this. - Just the one marathon though. Hopefully a sub 4hr.

• Options

I have not been on the forums for ages (like Foxy) and from this I see why - give the girl a chance ! All credit to you Liverpool Lass. My brother is currently setting up a sports business combining triathlon and running events in the South East and South West and I know how hard it is to get even a small event off the ground.

I have a mate that lives in a flat overlooking the albert docks and have already booked to spend NYE with him so I am going to be up for both days which should give me 12 marathons this year and a good start to 2011.

I have run both city marathons and local/cross country/trial events and I have to say, the local smaller ones are always more fun - there is more commaraderie, you talk to more people and invariably, you see and recognise lots of faces. It seems to me that this event is great in terms of timing and will see lots of regulars coming out for 'an accompanied training run'. For the newbies, what could be better than running with some seasoned marathon runners for good advice and support.

• Options
    Amazed at the negativity too. Someone is going to the effort to provide the opportunity to run a double over the NY period and has had it endorsed by the 100 Marathon Club. For me as someone on the road to 100 it is great opportunity.

Enter if you would like to, if you don't want to then don't - simple. Very easy to be critical but if you are do feel free to go to the trouble of organizing an alternative.
  • Options
    Hi Kaja i think this is a great idea and i cant believe all the negativity coming from some people. i hope it doesn't put you off tho. i love this type of race i will prob just do the nye race tho. just one point is there a 50 limit or will i be ok to enter on the day because i have entered 3 marathons this year and missed them all through injury. 
  • Options

just entered this!

thinks its a great opportunity to enjoy the sights and sounds of liverpool and do something a bit more than just one marathon. cant wait!

• Options
    Hmmm I'm quite tempted on the double but will have to persuade OH to give the go ahead and check my shift pattern.
  • Options
    I think a lot of the comments questioning this event have been fair, not necessarily negative. There's obvious naivety by the organiser(s) of this event as it says on the info page that the limit is 50 yet in liverpooollass's first comment here, it says "there is no mention of place limits because everyone is welcomed". There's either a limit or there's not; surely you can't just put a vague number on how many people you "suspect" will enter. Well, you can, but in that case it should be advertised locally only. A lot of people in this country travel long distances to attend marathon events (and spend a lot of money)because there are not that many in the UK. Enthusiasm is great and I'm sure everyone is supportive of your attempts, but a marathon distance is a serious event and to advertise it (inter)nationally like this is and at the same time be vague on the medical support on the day and the participation limit  could be seen as dangerously naive. The road to hell is paved with good intentions...
  • Options
    I think you may have misjudged the 'formality' of this event Gonzala - it is (as I understand and LF will correct me if I'm wrong i'm sure) deliberately a low key, informal event to give those who wish a unique opportunity for a single or double marathon over a quiet period in the marathon calendar.
  • Options

Gonzala - I do see your point but would refer you to the post I made earlier.  It is true that when people read that there is a marathon happening in a UK city, they make assumptions as to what that may look like.  Unfortunately, just as the road to hell is paved with good intentions, assumptions can be very dangerous things to make.  As I said a few months ago, it will take an intelligent person only a very cursory look at the detailed event information available to understand the true nature of the event and what is, or is not, provided.  If anybody is sufficiently naive to enter any endurance event or commit to travelling a long distance without first fully understanding what they are getting into then frankly they have nobody but themselves to blame for any disappointment on arrival.

As for the extent of advertising - an informal, low-key, event requiring runners to be largely self-sufficient will attract only a handful of experienced marathon die-hards.  It is not suitable as a mass participation event for 'novices'.  Those few individuals will be widely spread and while word of mouth will reach many of them a notice in 'the usual' places will also help to find those who may otherwise be missed.

I accept, appreciate and understand that this event is not for everybody, but I too have been surprised and disappointed by the reactions of some on here.