Options

Great North Run 2011

Comments

• Options
    Just pulling into Newcastle, hurrah. Fantastic how a half marathon can dictate all the energy and inclusion of any of the big international marathons. My first GNR, but I know it's going to be ace....
  • Options
    Afternoon all. Not long arrived. Now having coffee in cafe Nero. Next stop hotel chocolat for 27 boxes of chocs. See everybody in the morning.

Vixx - that is really unlucky.
  • Options
    Wow, regretting being mean on the hotel budget, the Britannia Airport Hotel is like a million miles away from the city. Better research needed next time. Heading into town to buy a new stick blender for my breakfast power smoothie...

Pasta, cinema then bed.

Vixx - really feel for you. Do something really positive tomorrow instead!

• Options
    Had a great day at the city games, saw lots of great runners and even had a wee in the Baltic toilets standing between Walter Dix and Harry Aikines-Aryeety !!
  • Options
    Bit of a long shot this, but railline app only shows nod train to the toon tomorrow morn, and they usually put three on. Anyone got the train times from Darlo to Newcastle?
    Cheers
  • Options
    Who finished first, Mr sj ?
  • Options
    I'm on a train that leaves York at 0705 and gets into Newcy at (I think) 0814. I think it goes through Darlington.
    When I bought the ticket it was the only train that arrived in time for the start.
    hope this helps at all
  • Options

Arrived in Sunny Newcastle.

missed the Waterline group, so will see you all in the Morning. Had a wander round the expo and checked i'd got everything for tomorrow (for the hundreth time).

Sitting in travelodge foyer watching eveyone have trouble with automatic login.

Congrats to younger camel, a chip off the old block?

Bring on the weather!!!

• Options
    Thanks samoff

Gave a good un tomorrow
  • Options
    samoff wrote (see)
    I'm on a train that leaves York at 0705 and gets into Newcy at (I think) 0814. I think it goes through Darlington. When I bought the ticket it was the only train that arrived in time for the start. hope this helps at all

We're on the same train (also boarding at York), and aye, it's the only one that gets you there before the start. They only released tickets for it a few weeks ago too ?!?

Can't wait for the morning, last year was ace so hoping for some more of the same! Followed of course by a RIGHT session in the boozer afterwards...!image

• Options
    Sorry to have missed you GP, but looking forward to meeting you tomorrow.
    The little'un has mtoivation that varies with TV schedules. She's been known to drag me out of bed for a run at 6:30 in the summer holidays, but if there's something she wants to watch on the box, then she's suddenly not so keen.  I leave it up to her to decide.
  • Options

Vixx that's awfully bad luck.  Hope your TV is working OK so you can get some sort of GNR fix tomorrow.

I ran the Woodstock 12 today, 3 laps around Blenheim palace in 1:22 which I'm really pleased with as it bodes well for Abingdon mara next month.  Despite the hills I managed to keep to a fairly steady pace.

Good luck again to all those at the GNR tomorrow- I'll be watching you!  have a fab day.

• Options
    A session in the boozer sounds a nice idea. If only I didn't have to drive back to Harrogate afterwards. Having said that, my return train is at about 6pm, so there's an even chance that by that time I'll have had a couple and end leaving my car at York station to collect Monday.
  • Options
    OS - I shan't watch it image I'm going to go for a run instead I think.

Thank you for all the commiserations - I do hope that everyone has a good day tomorrow!
  • Options
    Xl- Harry took the honours but I'm pleased tom say it was a British one two with Dix still competing whilst I was drying my hands !
  • Options
    i dont suppose anyone has a spare male entrance for tomorrow? I can either pick it up enroute from west mids or meet there my emails matrichards44@gmail.com if anyone does, thanks! Mat
  • Options
    Silver medal for Mr sj, great result image
  • Options
    Vixx76 wrote (see)
     (RLTW - You HAVE to go and do sub 2:30 now..... )

I shall do my very best.  9 seconds off my last year's time would get me sub 2:30.   So sorry that you can't get here after all. 

Had 2 bowls of pasta at the Expo- and brought another 2 away with me which I am going to eat in a moment image.   well they gave us 2 tickets which each let you have 2 bowls, but no-one was counting anyway!

Great to see some folks at The Waterline, though I thought I'd missed everyone cos I didn't get there til 2.15. 

I'm still trying to sort my new phone, though at least I now know that my old number has been transferred to it cos Cancer Research just sent me an Good Luck message for tomorrow.  Still can't find the contact details that very helful man in the O2 shop said he had transferred to the phone memory.May have to pop in and see him again tomorrow, if I get back in time.

• Options

I too need 9 seconds to slip under my time goal. Ideally I'd like a few more than 9, but 9 will do!

Vixx, sorry to hear you won't make it. Rubbish news. 

I think I'm ready now. Kit is laid out, bag is mostly packed for the baggage bus. I've dug out enough change for a day ticket for metros and buses (£6.80 - ouchee!). Garmin is charged and autopause is off (mainly cos I never use it anyway!). Just need to plan my escape route from Shields better. My plan of 'get the metro' will go horribly wrong if I can't actually find the metro station. 

• Options
    Good luck to everyone running the GNR tomorrow!
  • Options
    does anyone know of any good car parks around the finish line/south shields metro. A postcode would be great thnx!!!
  • Options

CC2 - 9 seconds off - that's the only way you and I are matched image  Hope you achieve your goal image

oh, and thanks for the reminder re charging Harrison. Got to make sure he's on the best possible form image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Stick, personally I wouldn't park at the finish but I can't say what's best- it depends how quickly you finish. If you run straight ahead at the finish Speedy, North up the coast, then turn right by the park (you'll see all the people coming the other way from the Metro). The Metro and the ferry are in the same direction on South Shields high street. I always run for the Metro and get out quick before the mass finish. One time when I was driving South I parked my car at the North Shields ferry landing and this worked fine. But as I say it depends how quickly you finish.   
  • Options
    O&O - if I turn right travelling North up the coast I'll end up in the North Sea! I'll make a point of NOT following you there image
  • Options
    Well my first gnr couldn't have started any worse. Forgot to pack my garmin first of all. Secondly accommodation booked is completely shocking above 24 hour chippy right in centre of Newcastle, don't think I'll be getting much sleep hope everyone else having more luck!
  • Options
    I've often wondered how I'd cope if I forgot my old friend the garmin. I've re-assured myself that I'd always treat it as an experiment; that not knowing may be less punishing. Just go for it, and trust your body.

Good luck, curious how it goes for you?

As for the chippy, I'm tucked outside near the airport, and the wedding party are too very noisy. At least your central...

Ohh boy, I could be a positive thinker coach??

• Options
    Hey all,

I hope most of you are tucked up and snoring soundly by now, but for those who aren't, sleep well, and hope you're all nice and refreshed in the morning for the big day.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! image
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone, have a good day image
  • Options
    What the he'll are you doing awake at this time of day mr k !!!!! I've been up since 4am when little miss sj decided to wake me up !

Good luck to everyone today
  • Options

Up early to watch the England match.

Won't be at the bridge this morning, so to anyone reading this who is, good luck to everyone running today. This is it.

Go for it, and enjoy! May you all get what you hope for out of this fantastic day.