Options

Birmingham 10K

Comments

• Options

I think I entered this 2 years ago as it was advertised on the Birmingham Half Marathon Site as a good warm up for the first Birmingham Half.

It was run on a summer evening and it seemed it was mainly Birchfield Harriers runners who knew each other and me, about 100 runners.

We ran around Perry Park 3 times with a final lap around the stadium.

I paid a fee of around £10 but never did recieve a T-shirt. I did try and chase it up but couldn't be bothered in the end  when nothing happened.

As a complete novice it felt good to run a lap around the stadium and it was marshalled around the park with St Johns on site and energy drinks at the end - but it was nothing special.

• Options

Looking at the website for this event sends alarms bells ringing straight away...I wouldn't want to give these guys any money in advance.

That said, I'm a Villa fan so will be the area for the derby ay 12.30pm (driving up from London). So what better way to spend the morning (and possibly park for free) than with a run round the park. I think the best solution is to check out the race in person and pay on the day.

Just hoping there might be a shower somewhere or I'll pity the people who have to sit next to me... 

• Options

Hello everyone im running the race myself....

His e-mail says no reply but there is a contact number i have spoken with him myself and i received a map of the route i can E-mail this to anyone wanting to know.Im not happy that it just the park we are running around but a run is a run

Best of luck everyone

Regards

Alan

• Options

Also when i spoke with this mark fella i asked for a refund he said that im the first to ask for one and he will give me a full refund but i would need to send a E-mail and i should receive my money back in 2 to 3 weeks time.It's abit of a piss take really.I'D  rather run the race that have to wait nearly 3 weeks for my money i ran the Macmilian fun run in Perry park there are no paths it is all fields and will be very muddy

Not to mention the football supporters wanting to knock 7 bells out of each other

• Options

Doesnt look the most organised race, but if you've been training you might as well give it a go. It would have been nice to finish at the stadium as well for pure novelty value. Definitely best to turn up on day rather than pay in advance I would say.

There's another race at Canon Hill Park but looks similarly disorganised i.e. no on-line entry, web link doesn't work etc!!

Cheers

• Options

Hmmm....

I think I'll give it a miss!

I can vouch for the Conductive Education race though, having done it before. You can count on there being plenty of local club runners there (esp. Bournville!).

I'll be running in the 5km Cannon Hill parkrun on Saturday - it's FREE, well organised, and good fun!

I'd consider doing the CE race as well, but I have a mara the following week so am taking it (fairly) easy.

• Options

Had a chat with a member of staff at Alexander Stadium earlier and they are aware of the run on sunday so i suppose thats positive. There will be a limited number of showers available. It will be 60% on grass which is about 4 inches long and may be muddy around the lake. Good luck to all taking part  - BOING BOING

• Options

Sounds promising ?!

This is my first 10k run am a little disappointed thats its a run around the park and reservoir.  Oh well should be fun.

• Options

I paid sometime ago for this race because it was starting in Alexandria stadium and being billed as The Birmingham 10k I thought was a big event  then like everybody else I'm was realy disappointed when I got the emai that it will be just 4 laps of a park. 

I was thinking of biting the bullet and writing this race off but the problem is at the start of the year I decided to do 26 events and I still have 6 to go before Christmas,  I missed last weeks event because of a bad cold so I need to do one tomorrow.

Does anyone know of another local 10k/5k on tomorrow? - the Conductive education one says no entries on the day.  If not I will probably do it anyway as long as the is reasonable turn out.

• Options

You can do a 5k parkrun every Saturday of the year - free!

I got a shiney new PB at Cannon Hill parkrun this morning.image

• Options

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunatly I have to work every Saturday morning in the winter otherwise that would be ideal. 

I'll probably just go and do the B/ham 10k its just running laps round fields brings bad memories of school sport.

• Options
    @Road-Kill Nice one! I did the Cannon Hill parkrun for the first time this morning. Definitely doing it again next week. My listing has been marked as 'unknown' on the results - not impressed!
  • Options

I noticed that there seemed to be quite a few 'unknowns' today. Did you have your bar code?

If you email the 'office' with your name and approx time they may be able to sort it out.

• Options

Well done Road Kill - I was the numbers Lady at the Park Run this morning (the Lady handing out the bar codes at the finish)- not sure whats gone wrong with the bar codes though - eek. Will mention to the powers that be for you. 

• Options

Thanks LJB.

I imagine Mary will be fully aware... whether it's something she can sort out is another matter!image

See you next week if you're there.

• Options
    Came across this by accident this morning - I decided as the weather is lovelty to be dropped off in Brum centre and run abck home along the canal , about 15 miles. As I came upon Alexandra stadium I saw some runners then vaguely remember someone talking about this race a while back,  went throught her hedge anbd there were the runners. I clapped and encouraged as many as I could before I got cold then continued with my run. As far as I could tell it seemed several laps - how many was it?
  • Options
    Mike i didn;t enter myself but i bleive it was 4 laps. Was there many runners or supporters. I think most people got put off as they though it would start and finish in the stadium
  • Options
    I didn't see James , I was on the path by the canal, cheered some of the back markers then went.
  • Options

MIke / James...it was 4 laps of the park (including the resevoir!) and wasnot the best surface to run on due to the amount of leaves etc...however, that sayd, it would have been a lot more slippy if it would have rained.

It was my first 10k and I used the run to see if I could actually do it.....definately need more training on mixed terrain for the future!

There was about 80-100 runners, most looked like they were pretty good and regular runners - not many novices like me!

I personally wouldn't do an event like this again - prefer the bigger ones with a more mixed ability, but as I said, it was part of a personal challenge so all good!

• Options

Hi i ran the birmingham 10k race today, could anyone please tell me where i can get the race results from? cheers

• Options
    Joanne - it's all in the perception, I stood by the lake and the folk running and walking by were begiiners or newer runners trying hard. I might have seen you - I was in red T and balck shors just standing there chering on my own , with energy belt too , over dressed for 10K !
  • Options
    hello there ran the birmingham 10k today also,cant find any results anywere. Hered they would be on web site,but not there.Nice t shirt and medal. thanks if anybody can help.
  • Options

not out yet, at the start line he said it would take 72 hours and will be posted here:

http://www.southlondonfives.co.uk/

Joanne, have to disagre, this wasn't a race for harderned runners. I came 5th, but with my time I'd usually be further down. Also lapped some people twice who we're walking after 3k. It was a tough surface though, running on thick wet grass is energy sapping.

• Options
    what was your time zebede if you dont mind mine was 44.33 just wondererd if i had been anywere near the front. cheers
  • Options

I managed to mess up my timing at the start line by not actually pressing the Start button until 400m in...annoying. But the girl doing the times at the finish told me it was 39mins.

Good time though, anything sub-45 on that course is a top effort. Maybe top 15.

• Options
    Well I have to say after the lack of communication before race day I was rather hesitant about doing this. In the end I really enjoyed it and it was far better organised than I expected. That said there were one or two things they could improve on - like letting you know you need 5 mins to walk to the start line and there was no water available after finishing. The run itself was pleasant (although I'm not a lover of laps) and well marshalled, pretty autumn colours in the park - but as previously said leaves would have been very slippy if wet. Shame we didn't end up doing the lap in Alex Stadium as originally planned, maybe next time!
  • Options

That was quite an enjoyable race! Only downside I had, which was my fault really, was thinking I was on the final lap and about to turn to the finish area, only to realise that I had one more lap to go...argh!

Nearer the end, I was stunned to see someone in an Astra driving through the finish line area while runners were still going!

• Options
    thanks for that zebede sounds like you had a great time,pleasesd  by hereing that i might be in the top 20. Good luck on your furture races.
  • Options
    has anyone found out the results yet?
  • Options
    Still waiting Michael Mcquillan. I know my time was quite slow but still would like to know the official one!