Options

Barcelona Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Spud - From there you can take the metro from either Maragall, or Sant Pau on the blue line which will take you into BCN Sants station and then you can walk 500m to the start or you can take the yellow line, towards La Pau and change at Urquinianoa onto the red line and come out at Placa Espana... it might be quite busy though.

How long..... 25 mins on the metro... + walking time

• Options

Slimboy  There is also the Hard Rock Cafe at the top of Las Ramblas  on the Placa cataluyna which does a couple of nice pasta dishes.

Last LSR today 20km. Started later than planned so I finished at just before midday, the local displays were showing 17 degrees, very little breeze.

• Options
    I will only do  a 'serious' run on Tuesday this week  a  (400 x 8 ) + warm up arm down .
  • Options
    robotrobot ✭✭✭
    i'm in this one and it sounds like a good one. but the info isn't that great on the web-site. what i want to know is what time should i turn up at espanya station. and does it require much messing around at the expo (whatever that is) to get the chip and find your place etc? is it worth my girlfriend (spectator) coming to the start?
  • Options
    robotrobot ✭✭✭
    one more question, it says id is needed to pick up the chip. i dont really want to carry my passport for 42k - anyone done this with a simple utility bill?
  • Options
    Felix you have have to pick your chip up on SATURDAY at the EXPO... the race is Sunday..
  • Options
    Sorry.. I should Clarify that the Expo is open from 10am to 8pm on the 4th and 5th of March (Friday And Saturday)
  • Options
    I missed my last long run yesterday, we had friends staying. Its got me all of a panic about squeezing it in today.
  • Options

Keyboard_worrier - I can't imagine that the run the week beofre the marathno will make any difference !

Was supposed to do a 12 mile slow and an easy 5. Did 10 miles in the rain Saturday morning. Was going to do the 5 yesterday afternoon, bur peeing down with rain again so I gave it a miss...

Need to sort out the instant porridge asap. 

• Options
    I've woken up to a winter-wonderland with at least 3'' of snow. Good job that I did my 20km run yesterday.

I hope everyone is fighting fit and storing up loads of lovely glycogen in their muscles.
  • Options

First time posting on this thread but have been lurking regularly.

Training is now done and dusted and will just rock up on the day and see how it goes. I don't think i'm quite where i want to be but will be happy to churn out a PB.

Think the missus is quite excited about going to Barcelona this weekend, she's already mentioned about looking forward to flying on the way to work on a packed tube this morning.

• Options
    robotrobot ✭✭✭
    thanks spud - i had no idea. my flight arrives on saturday at 18:50 so that's going to make things interesting.
  • Options
    For those of you ...worrying about not putting the miles in this week... Aren`t you supposed to be tapering anyway ...?

I`m not sure taking it a little easy this week is going to make much difference... your fitness is there, it`s early nights and eating right from here on in !!

I haven`t run more than 5 miles since the 26th of January because of this b****y knee, Hurts like hell today!

The waistband on my trousers is getting a little snug too!!!!

I`m still denying I`m injured and am planning to run/hobble//walk to the finish.. Is there a special prize for last place ?
  • Options
    robotrobot ✭✭✭
    i don't know if i missed some mail or something but it seems like i am piecing together the info of what i have to do.

can someone please confirm, the expo is at the same place as the race start (nearest station espanya)?
  • Options

I did 9 miles yesterday, at faster than race pace (stupid I know) and felt shattered all avo. Gonna do a gentle 3 miler today and tomoz and that's it. I cannot do any more, and it would probably hinder my performance if I did.

I'm now thinking about all the carbs I can eat, I need to double intake to over 500g per day (15 banana's a days worth!!!!) Malt loaf is good for carbs so I've some of that in.

Spud- fair play for going for it, see how you feel at the start and take it easy. Special prize could be a few beers at the end of the race. What's your dorsal?

• Options
    As far as I`m aware Felix ...they are quite close.

Have been told the Expo is quite near to the start... See The Jiffle Kings post at the top of this page ..

There is loads of info on the Official Site

http://www.barcelonamarato.es/index_i.php

• Options
    Sarah...

Dorsal ?

Believe me there will be a `couple` of drinks after.. there are 15 of us flying out until Tuesday ...

Out of the original 5 Running ..there is 1 left fit to run and myself ready to drag round.

Bloody hell !! Just peeked at your profile ...How`s the injury ????
    (and there`s me moaning about a couple of loose bits of cartilage.. I`m ashamed now !)
  • Options

Dorsal is the bib number, it just makes me laugh when all the notices mention dorsals image

I'll look out for you, I might be near the end of the pack as well, as planing to finish not gunning for a speedy time. shame that not everyone can run in your group, are the others injured?

Injury was a nightmare, thanks for asking though. Was planning Edinburgh M last year then fractured pelvis snow boarding in March, bad times! Nearly back up to speed, it's defo made me more aware of training and not over doing things, or taking body for granted. Injury is pants, I was really angry and stroppy with everyone, poor OH image

• Options

Felix - Yes the expo is very close to the start... just keep heading up plaça Espana and turn left at the big fountain.. Espana is the closest metro station for sure. The start is less than 200m away from the Expo.
    Picking up the chip, Driving licence is ok usually, but I would take the passport. Expo can be quick (20 mins for me last year) and if you walk up the escalators, there is the museum of art at the top... if you keep going by escalator, then you come to the Olympic stadium and teh Olympic museum (€3?) which is quite good for sports fans.

Dorsal..... it´s the number you pin to your front

Just had confirmed that next Monday is a bank holiday... The tourist stuff will be open, but not the shops in general except those at Mare Magnum by the harbour and tourist shops. Very small supermarkets will be open, but not the bigger ones. Tourist buses will be open and some shops in Born will open. In fact all tourist stuff will be open.

For anyone on the tourist trail...just look out for your valuables. The train from teh airport has been known to have pickpockets and Las Ramblas (which locals do avoid in general) are reknowned. Just be safe, zip pockets, keep money hidden etc etc etc. I lose track of the number of distraction techniques I have seen(Even the 3 box game is still played) I know you are all adults, but people do get caught... Keep bags on your knees in Las Ramblas area if having a drink etc etc etc... Lecture over, the rest of BCN is great and if you don´t look like a victim, you won´t be one.

Reminder... T10 tickets can be purchased at the airport.. €8.25 for 10 journeys... If there are 3 of you, buy 1 ticket and pass between you. The machine can do English (bottom left of the screen) T10 Zone 1 only is required. 

• Options
    robotrobot ✭✭✭
    thanks again spud.
  • Options
    Sarah.... Dorsal No... 8835

Just look out for the hobbling red faced fool in a Black and White quartered `Harwich Runners` vest, Probably swearing at his own knee!!

Yeah the others are injured all with Gimpy knees too !!!

Jiffle.. thanks for all the advice ... we were unaware it was a Holiday Monday , at least it means I wont get dragged round the shops by the Mrs!!!
    We were in Barca` last Sept ..The great food market just off Las Ramblas was a highlight, excellent Tapas at the bars(have been told there is another very like it somewhere else but less touristy any ideas?)

Oh yeah I have been asked to find out if the Fountains will be on Saturday night ?
  • Options

Fountains... I think so... they were under their yearly maintenance, but i think they are back open... Barcelonayellow will have a link to the website, but I think so.

La Bocqueria is an excellent market... to eat in there is quite pricy, but it´s great fruit and fish. Other tapas bars... in that area, there is one in Placa real on the left hand side if you are walking down las ramblas... it´s the one with the massive queue... don´t go to the others, it´s not the same. There is also one on Mallorca with Rambla Catalunya which is good... can´t recall the name. Wander off the beaten track and the food is typically much better. For modern very reasonably priced tapas, on Rambla Catalyuna is La Botiga... it is on the left as you go up and is next to Piscolabis. We would drink outdoors in Piscolabis, but eat in La botiga.... Bottles of cava are also good and cheap in both

• Options
    Thanks Again J K..

Yes, The Placa Real ..has excellent tapas ...always our first stop!

I`ll try to find the market on Mallorca/Catalunya too.
    A friend who lived there berated me for being such a tourist !!! and said I should go to the other (again, I cant recall its name either)...

Right... I really must get some wok done ...have a good day all
  • Options
    11 miles marathon pace and 2 miles cool down. That is definitely it now. Time to chill out. Probably a mistake physically to do today's run but mentally I was going to pieces thinking that I had to do a quality session rather than just go stale waiting for Sunday. I hate the taper, it makes me worry. image
  • Options
    Keyboard Worrier - change your name for this week to 'Taper Worrier' image
  • Options
    and they have painted the blue line on the road... it's beginning to get exciting here in Spain. I know this because me and TJQ cycled a bit of the course yesterday and outside the office, I can see the blue line down C/Tarragona (By Sants)
  • Options
    image good news indeed TJK, getting excited too, started gathering things together to go in the bag for spain, not long now
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

I was walking through Canary Wharf today finding it odd that they weren't starting to paint blue lines... It's ages since I did a marathon that's not the London one and it does make me realise what a rut I'd got into.

Been looking at the map - that hotel you recommended is startlingly convenient (the Gran Torre Catalunya), so thanks for that TJK.

8:30 start though - ooof.

• Options
    8:30 is ideal, leaves the whole afternoon/evening to refuel!